+ Reply to thread
Page 185 of 204 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 195 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,250 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ray Charles did more than OK despite his blindness and people taking advantage of him, especially early in his career:

TNP saw Jamie Foxx play Ray Charles in the biopic Ray, and thought he did more than OK too.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I thought he did OK. I'm glad if people who saw the movie were maybe introduced to the musician who wasn't just "that guy on the speakers in the bus station." Maybe not a great movie, but Foxx did great, and he had the advantage of picking a little piano himself, and no biopic movie is going to satisfy people who know every note the guy ever recorded, at least that was famous.

TNP is kind of disappointed the "ragtime revival" of the 1970s is over, since he or she would like to see a biopic of Ferd "Jelly Roll" without all that Cotton Club veneer put on it. Bonus TNP if he or she can figure out who would be a good Jelly Roll Morton as a younger man and also into the Library of Congress recordings days.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Jelly Roll Morton certainly deserves his own biopic. I love his music, even though he did exaggerate his role in the early development of jazz.

TNP thinks a little bit of "The Crave" would be fitting now:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I remember that tune. I'd say every time is time for a bit of "The Crave."

TNP is now using or has ever used white bedsheets, but finds them unsatisfactory except for specialized purposes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't pay much attention to them, but yes, we have some white bedsheets, and they have been satisfactory.

TNP likes sleeping on flannel sheets when it gets chilly out.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah: they're good.

TNP has noticed that gas stations delay processing credit/debit card receipts until sometime the next day or so. Bars as well, IME, tend to process them all at closing time. And can explain why. In graphic detail. Hardcore, deviant detail.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I hadn't even noticed that! Interesting.

TNP has heard about the shortage of coins for many American businesses since the pandemic hit.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Of course.

TNP is not at all moved by bartenders' claims that "cash is king," when it comes to tips. Cry me a river.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not moved, no, but I do tend to tip in cash anyway.

TNP has heard Michael Bublé sing "Cry Me A River" before with full 007-style orchestration:

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. That's the guy with the fancy hair, right? No. Never heard it.

TNP has observed that 1970s TV dramas "evolved" very early indeed, almost ab principio, at about 1970-1971 into a pattern of "a very special episode." Vide, The High Chaparral, Then Came Bronson, and so many more, even including "comedies" like Alias Smith and Jones. And doesn't like the formula.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, more or less. It seems to have fallen out of fashion now, except for parodies of the concept.

TNP won't be seeing a movie in an actual movie theater until there's a proven, effective COVID-19 vaccine that most people have taken.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Probably. Went to a private booking with only friends with masks a few weeks ago, and it wasn’t much fun.

TNP watches movies on Tubi.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never have.

TNP has been to Texas at least three separate times.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but I make at least one Texas in the toilet everyday.

TNP thinks he or she knows where that idiom came from, at least in print.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never heard it before!

TNP will be watching the U.S. presidential debate tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. There's no information to be gained, nor any entertainment value for me. It's not live, so there's nothing to be surprised by, or that cannot be edited within the span of a brief delay.

TNP can explain the appeal of this lurid spectacle over, say any other garish spectator sport, including watching training films and posting on the web.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I thought it was live. And yeah, some people are just political junkies, and some are fans of one candidate or the other and want to see him win big, and some are genuinely undecided (although I can hardly imagine why) and want more information in order to decide how to vote.

TNP has yawned more than twice today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Not once. I did have a nap for hours, though.

[Wasn't meaning to criticize viewers of the "debate," and the reasons you state are indeed sensible. I'm sure there's at least a broadcast delay, in case Biden flipped his wig and started cursing like a stevedore or made the jerking-off motion in response to nearly everything that other "person" "said."]

TNP has seen lots of helium-filled balloons lately, for some unknown reason, and thinks they're pretty annoying and desires to pop them with either a sewing needle or a lit cigarette.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I don't think I've seen one in a year or more. I do like popping 'em, though.

TNP prefers inhaling the helium from balloons in order to talk in a high-pitched voice.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Haven't done that since I was a kid. Nitrous oxide edges out helium in the "Inhaled from a balloon" category, though. By a fair amount, really.

TNP is almost experiencing a bit of physical discomfort as the upcoming US elections approach nearer. Maybe not as bad as nausea, fatigue, dyspepsia, incontinence, but almost.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, and I am not even American.

TNP likes sausage better than bacon.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Maybe by an eensy-teensy-tiny margin, yes, but I like 'em both just fine. Too much is never enough of either, especially with homemade pancakes and real maple syrup.

TNP is now in the mood for pancakes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I'm in the mood for bacon. Tomorrow morning will be the third day in a row it formed most of my caloric intake. But, yes, sausage is the correct answer. But I still like bacon more nowadays. More texturally interesting.

TNP has seen a skunk recently. IRL, duh.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, it's been a few months now. But we do have quite a few deer, rabbits and skunks around here.

TNP had a pet rabbit as a child.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah "I" had two. Really, cast-offs from a business partner of my pops. They sure do live a long time.

TNP has had or is now having Evan Williams 'basic' bourbon and doesn't think it's worth the few dollars extra Old Crow. Or similar.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't think I've ever had either. But I have no objection to a good bourbon, nosiree, none at all.

TNP will be outside for at least two hours today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really. I don't count driving a car as "outside." Pretty nice weather, but there's too many asshole cornshucking motherfuckers on the road to risk walking even on a sidewalk.

TNP has noticed that today All Saints' Day happens to be on a Sunday, and will say if he or she has any special plans for this strange coincidence.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I didn't, and no, I don't expect to be doing anything in particular to mark the day.

TNP has admired some beautiful fall leaves today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Some. Not a lot. Red Alder's leaves haven't changed. Quite a few Bigleaf Maple but their leaves are mostly now mottled red and littering the streets.

TNP thinks it would be a good idea to duck tape a piece of paper with a Sharpie-scrawled note saying "DO NOT KNOCK OR RING BELL EVER!!!" to one's front door.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That might create issues with knowing when my gin has arrived, so no.

TNP lives in a jurisdiction where it has gotten considerably easier to get alcohol delivered since March.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. It was no problem in NY State to get deliveries, and I was shocked moving back out here that the state "commission" or whatever control group didn't do that kind of thing. Now, appararently, one can have demon rum and cactus whiskey delivered.

TNP has had in the past day or so a fantasy of ordering a few (gin, natch) gimlets on the rocks instead of the usual beer at his or her friendly watering hole.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, but I certainly look forward to the day when I can have a beer or three with chums again in public.

TNP needs some Louis Armstrong in his or her life right now:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I do. I did have a good forty or so minutes playing the CD/album Louis Plays Fats yesterday, though,and while it was just what I wanted to hear, I'm not wanting right now to play another Louis LP. Louis is the king of jazz: rhythm, melody. He was the whole deal.

TNP needs a lot more James Brown in his or her sonic diet right now. If not, thou will explain thyself! ETA Cold Sweat Pts. 1 and 2. I'm scared shitless about the election in the US next week, and while Mr. Brown may not have been a reliably constant political figure, nor a particularly great example of treating people well, I want to see some of that fire.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never been a big James Brown fan, so, no. But I am certainly worried about the election.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. It's getting to be I'm starting to plan ahead to take Wednesday off work...either way it's going to be a big deal, and I don't particularly want to hear the "news on the march" on the shop floor.

TNP has ever had an "adult beverage" so tasty that one actually enjoys drinking it. Turkinpippuri in vodka for example.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, sure, many times. And just today I was thinking I really should try a Brandy Alexander sometime.

TNP has actually had a Brandy Alexander, and liked it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

False. I think I know how to make one, vaguely, while having to look it up: it's a cream drink, IIRC. But I've never had one. Nor even heard of somebody IRL ordering one.

TNP can name one cream drink he or she or someone he or she knows orders or likes. You know, like a Grasshopper. White Russians don't count, though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I make a pretty good Alexander myself, so that.

TNP can make a decent number of cocktails, and has the proper tools for the job.

Registered
    Jul 2013

In theory, true for the first part, except for some lapses in memory. However, I don't have the right supplies or equipment (the correct glassware, the right additional ingredients [garnishes, various bitters, vermouths, the liqueurs, mixes, simple syrup, soda gun, etc.]) at my place. Technique is pretty solid, though, I would say.

TNP prefers to reward, not discipline, a bartender who pours a draft beer with the absolute minimum of head/foam.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Reward, I suppose, but it's not that big an issue for me, unless I'm being ripped off.

TNP knew that Mississippi voters on Election Day approved a change to the state flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Mississippi

Registered
    Jul 2013

I did not. Good for them, I suppose. Change is good.

TNP knew that there exists a town in Ireland (not Northern Ireland, but close) called Muff, in English. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muff,_County_Donegal

Registered
    Sep 2009

I did not!

TNP wishes that there were a very deep swimming pool in that town, so that he or she could go Muff diving.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Stop it. I'm supposed to be doing stuff. In other words, yes.

TNP would describe the bulk of his or her daily working life as tedious and repetitive, from which he or she draws buoyancy only by the occasional light-hearted interpersonal amusement.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, pretty much.

TNP is looking forward to retirement, possibly a little too much.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not at all. I enjoy my work, and retirement, if I ever do it, will get here soon enough.

TNP has read about U.S. Grant lately.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, but kind of indirectly. I think the reconstruction/Gilded Age period is pretty interesting in US history, and it has the advantage of a few events or periods in Europe/S.A/East Asia/well...the whole world, pretty much.

TNP's first instinct upon having terms of a contract thrown against him or herself like "offensive behavior" is to start, very calmly, looking for a lawyer whose specialty is civil litigation with homeowners associations and so forth.

Registered
    Sep 2009

First I'd read the contract. If it wasn't clear, then I might start looking for a lawyer.

TNP is on a first-name basis with at least three lawyers.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. IRL, a few people I grew up with. Not really good friends or anything any longer, but there is mutual knowledge. In total, also IRL, there are certainly over three I know, or have known as acquaintances, family, etc., in social settings, flung pretty far and wide throughout the country.

TNP's sense of outrage and confusion is at the max when considering that random individuals can simply, without substantiation, use a corporation like an HOA to unilaterally levy fines. Particularly when the credibility of the likely accuser or accusers is low, considering they are not in compliance with the bylaws themselves. TNP would go so far as to call that a form of harrassment and TNP thinks is a matter that should be pursued in civil litigation by both parties.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, that would certainly irk me. Hope it works out for the best for you!

TNP has seen Gladiator in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I've never seen Gladiator ever. I think the only Russell Crowe movies I've seen have been Master and Commander the recent Unhinged. Maybe some others I can't remember now. But it would be appealing, just so I can truthfully say, "I like gladiator movies, Johnny, how about you?"

Thanks for the vote of confidence re the HOA: I think the tides are tending right now to have all these spurious complaints dismissed on appeal. It's a ludicrous system, devoid of any obligation of the complainant(s) to produce evidence beyond vague suggestions, which is empowered to levy extrajudicial punishments at will. Absurd. But now my new hobby will be to produce complaints at every violation I see perpetrated by my neighbors. Great volumes of substantiated complaints. Bunch of Karens or otherwise demented sacks of tainted amoebas.

TNP is about full up of extra BS to deal with in private life, what with the COVID, politics, and any number of things that must be observed or dealt with.

+ Reply to thread