+ Reply to thread
Page 178 of 204 FirstFirst ... 78 128 168 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 188 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,900 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fever dreams or nightmares, yes, but fortunately only briefly.

TNP has read George R.R. Martin's vampire novel, Fevre Dream (which I thought was excellent).

Registered
    Jul 2013

Can't say as I have. What is that, French or something?

TNP finds that insouciance is among the least desirable of human affects.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, arrogance and rudeness are much worse IMHO.

Not French, just stylish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fevre_Dream

TNP will be sleeping in on Easter Sunday.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not really.

TNP has found more common ground among Xian sects vs. the Church than differences, but TNP still wouldn't be opposed to a war based on docttrinal differences. At this point, why not?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not a chance. Glad to live in an era where religious wars (by nation-states, at least) are pretty much over and done with.

TNP has seen an unusual coin recently.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I'm finding it's probably better to do the whole debit card thing. For a while I was kind of into the whole "cash on the bar" and such, but, if I had the option nowadays, I'd just rather not play cowboy.

TNP is particularly proud of his or her choices of masks. And, regardless, is going to stick to that choice. I'm liking the cut-up strips of black T-shirts just tied around my head. Whatever. It's fine. If you don't like it, draw motherfucker!
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Apr 2020 at 05:25 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

My mask is OK, I guess. It gets the job done.

TNP had coffee today.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, still working on a cup.

TNP is trying to find the correct balance between relaxation and alcoholism during the pandemic.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Is that a thing? Yeah, I suppose so. I've been abstaining for the past week in an attempt to keep an eye on hydration and maximize rest, but it was the opposite of relaxation. More a PITA if you ask me. So I broke the fast yesterday and all is fine with the universe I guess.

TNP is so used to having a hangover of some kind he or she doesn't really feel normal without it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely not. I have been hung over exactly once in my life, after a hard-drinking college party.

TNP likes James Burton's cover of "Polk Salad Annie":

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh. I'd prefer it if were LeVar Burton, but I don't really have anything negative to say about that.

TNP is not exactly happy about it, but has accepted that he or she is going to have some permanent health problems for the rest of his or her life. Stuff like once your feet get all gimped up, it's really not going to be magically cured. Poor eyesight. Things like that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, realized that a long time ago. Just how it is.

TNP has very definite opinions about something really minor, like the best water temperature for laundry.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That's putting it mildly. Yes, I have very strong opinions about the right way to do most things, especially minor things.

TNP is always willing to change his or her mind about certain things, when confronted with a superior method.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I'm usually pretty flexible about that. But I do have strong opinions, and I tend not to like change on the home front.

TNP has listened to some J.S. Bach in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. Well, if that suits the requirements, I play Bach at the keyboard every day. I don't very often listen to recordings, but it's a very rare day that I don't read Bach off the page or hack my way through one of the umpteen bits I like. Just a fanboy, really.

TNP watches movies or TV more often than listens to recorded music.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, music more often.

TNP needs to brush his or her teeth soon.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, it's about time. I really woud like a hygienist to scrape a bunch of crap off my teeth, and probably a new set of X-Rays. I mean, I brush daily, but I'm doing it in a bit of a perfunctory manner nowadays,

TNP has chatted with a restaurant/bar manager or similar pretty recently, and can agree they're not having a real good time nowadays.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, not since the lockdown.

TNP wouldn't mind listening to a little Haydn right about now:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Haydn sounds about perfect. Unfortunately I have to be out the door, but I am always amused by the Hob. XVI:48. And the D major from the same Hobson number. Not exactly simple, entirely, but there's an element of simplicity there and elsewhere that appeals to me.

TNP will choose among post-bop pianists: Herbie or McCoy.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ooo, toughie. I guess I'll go with Herbie.

TNP is up to hearing some Herbie right about now:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I am. My mobile connection isn't that great right now, so I don't know what the tune is, but I've been thinking recently about the way Herbie had that tight, chromatic, angular way of making lines. I love McCoy too, and have taken my share of things off his recordings, but I don't think I'm ever going to be able to absorb his way of playing into my bag. Herbie's a little closer to my roots of bebop playing, and while I can't pretend to play like him, or exactly like him, he's a little closer to my way of hearing, so I can hear where he's coming from and how to do it.

I was thinking I'd use the CV-19 as a chance to outright copy some of McCoy's solos, just taken off the recordings, as kind of an exercise, but nowadays I feel more like just playing stuff I already know and going with that.

TNP remembers very fondly the days when AMZ was just a bookseller, even if the company probably did some creative destruction to traditional bookstores.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't know what AMZ is. Wiki doesn't help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMZ

TNP today played the same song at least three times on YouTube.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, AMZN is the ticker abbreviation for Amazon: I forgot to add the "N."

No, not today, haven't listened to any music at all, but it's not unheard of at other times. You know, sometimes can find some stuff you don't get on the first listen.

As loathesome a task as it is, TNP finds tidying up around the house to be a pretty good way to fight depression.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, the Herbie album Mr. Hands kills! Sorry about the double post, but it took my quite a while to add that album (CD, really) to my collection. "Shiftless Shuffle" is one of Herbie's great tracks, and while I don't like the whole album, there are some very choice cuts on there. Not to mention "Just Around the Corner," the tune linked.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 20 Apr 2020 at 05:31 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, when I'm feeling blue, I like to to go for a long walk. No matter the weather, it always does me good.

TNP has played bar trivia in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not formally, but occasionally just randomly answer trivial questions at the bar. Like a real-life Cliff Claven.

TNP can name three excellent things to do at bars besides eat or drink. And will do so.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Talk with friends, play trivia, look at pretty girls.

TNP has done all of those things, whether or not in a bar, in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Not in a bar, since they're all closed. Although "look at girls" might be a bit mild. Words like "staring openly at their behinds," "turning one's head shamelessly," "nearly running into people or objects while one's eyes are directed at the pretty girls." Standard workplace sexual harassment stuff. They love it, trust me. Why else would they wear makeup and be pretty and wear nice clothes?

Yes, that last bit is a joke. Nobody reasonable would think that. Except as a joke. Never mind.

TNP finds doing manual labor in a surgical mask or some other type of respirator is incredibly fatiguing, whose only really positive attribute, aside from not spreading the TB, is putting the mask down for a few seconds to get some actual air.

Registered
    Sep 2009

When I have to wear a mask these days, yes, it's certainly an annoyance. I don't envy those who have to wear them all the time, like those working in hospitals.

TNP would only go to a hospital these days if he or she was practically at death's door.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Anyday, really, it'd take me a lot to go to a hospital, except that my physician's office is in a hospital. Maybe if I had an accident with a shotgun or a chainsaw, or was visiting an ill relative, or helping nephew-sit, then, yeah, I'd go. Best believe I'd be wearing a fresh surgical mask, though, these days.

TNP has been thinking a bit recently about some of the old works of fiction featuring rehabilitation saunas, like Mann's The Magic Mountain or others, but probably isn't going to read them again, nor accounts from Dafoe about the black death.

TNP doesn't ever watch TV news and thinks slightly less of those who do.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I rarely do, but if others want to, even every day, meh, I don't really care.

TNP has used the word "meh" in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I wish I had enough fingers and toes to count. That's a yes, affirmative, Colonel.

TNP has really thought long and hard about pursuing a civil complaint against a family member, and can say what his or her decision was.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, never crossed my mind.

TNP is having increasingly disordered sleep as the Covid days and nights go on.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I've been sleeping pretty well, all in all.

TNP can see bright sunshine through the window right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

It's very alarming and surprising, but yes. Pretty good, I'd say.

TNP thinks drinking heavily while communicating verbally with others who have offended you is always a terrible idea.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty much, yes, but there are those who swear by it (or seem to).

TNP misses going out to movies.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not a bit. I haven't been to the movies in at least over a decade. I like to pause the movies at home, to let things sink in, on occasion, and it can be kind of a hassle to smuggle in glass bottles of Night Train and all that.

TNP is desperately unhappy that local bars are closed (in most places, I'd suppose), and will be for quite some time.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I make pretty good cocktails myself, so I’m not missing bars as much as full service restaurants.

TNP has seen Tiger King.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, never heard of it. It could be a good one if it was about some of the jungle cats in zoos getting the CV and being heroically rescued, but I doubt that's what it's about.

TNP thinks wasting valuable law enforcement by seeking interviews with people who, via e-mail, offered no explicit threats, should probably be punished tenfold upon the accusing party. And include a written apology, as well as cleaning the accused's domicile under observation by the owner of the domicile.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Tenfold is probably overstating things, but false reports should definitely be strongly discouraged.

TNP has been following the reconstruction of Notre Dame in Paris: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/27/expe...r-inferno.html

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. My favorite French daily, Libération, is real................stingy......about reading articles on their website, and I don't know a comparable source for French actualities which has a more Guardian-UK type model, paid for by ad revenue, essentially. I suppose there's the radio, the FR equivalent of NPR or BBC or CBC (I don't remember what it's called) but I don't have enough bandwidth to stream live radio.

TNP has known or does know someone who wears a Rhoda-style bandana around her hair and thinks it's kind of foxy.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, about Herbie's album Mr. Hands, it is odd. I think maybe fifteen years or so ago I had to special order the CD from some place or other. And it was expensive for a regular CD. Now you kids with your youtubes! You don't know what we had to go through to acquire albums on CD or vinyl. Bah humbug!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    ...TNP has known or does know someone who wears a Rhoda-style bandana around her hair and thinks it's kind of foxy.
    No, I don't, but I certainly wouldn't mind.

TNP heard someone laugh like a hyena in the past ten minutes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm not too sure: closest probably is this afternoon playing some Jerry Lee Lewis records from the Sun Records label. I don't know really anybody IRL who has an annoying laugh: I know some people who annoy me IRL, but I don't find it difficult to practice extra-special social distancing in those cases.

TNP laughs pretty heartily a few times IR most days. Surgical masks are probably good for the hearty laugher. And bonus TNP, TNP has been known to expel whatevet liquid is in her or his mouth if someone makes a funny.

TNP leans more towards over-the-ear hearing protectors these days, and regards foam in-ear protectors as a distant second. And as a third option, TNP is foolish and never uses hearing protection (the more you know: running your average vacuum cleaner will kick your ears' ass, so don't do it. Trust me. I'm 44, and I never ever vacuum or any of that shit, being a bachelor, but it adds up over time, even just playing acoustic piano for how many hours).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 30 Apr 2020 at 06:57 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I haven't worn ear protectors for quite awhile now - I think maybe the last time was for when I was using a chainsaw to clear trails on a big wooded estate when I was in my late teens.

TNP is always happy to be surrounded by trees.

Registered
    Jul 2013

One hundred percent affirmative, Colonel. Now, I do have my favorites, but I would find living in a denuded, barren landscape barely tolerable.

TNP will choose: redwood or red alder. And will state the result of that choice. On A&E's Biography. Or here.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm no tree expert, but I know that I've never seen redwoods in person. I checked Google Images for both, and think I will choose red alders. But my favorite trees are birches, like this: https://www.travelalaska.com/GetInsp...ch_forest.aspx

TNP loves that picture, too.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That's very good. We don't have a lot of birch in the PNW, some, but not a lot, but it's definitely a good tree.

I'm sure you've seen some sequoias. Alnus rubra are, unfortunately, often indicative of some disturbance, like flooding, or erosion, but they're not a bad tree. Lovely catkins in the spring, but, if I had to guess, probably 90% seasonal allergy sufferers can blame the red alder. Very prolific species.

TNP is a little bit "rain man" about some topics, and will share what that might be, if true.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, show the slightest interest in politics, history, Star Trek, Sherlock Holmes, flags or Tolkien, and I might tell you more than you really want to know.

TNP did some weeding today, as I did.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not only no, but hell no. "My dad lets me drive in the driveway, I'm an excellent driver." There is no possible way I'd be doing landscaping work, unless I was a Spartacus-style slave.

TNP has a "no fucking way" type of job he or she would never do in a million years, if he or she had the choice. And will state what that is.

+ Reply to thread