+ Reply to thread
Page 177 of 204 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 187 ... LastLast
Results 8,801 to 8,850 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I don't doubt the rank-and-file members of the CDC are doing their usual level best to research and evaluate. Oh. local government. Nah, not really. Bunch of gross hippies and conspiracy nuts, throughout all strata of the local government.

TNP would be appalled and aggrieved if it turned out ibuprofen use were not advised at present, due to some possibly spurious data.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, sure. I'd want all medical and scientific advice to be accurate.

TNP is watching HBO's The Plot Against America, an alternative-history drama about a Nazi-sympathizing candidate defeating FDR in 1940.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Never crossed paths with it. Could be amusing, but ..... yes, I wouldn't rule against alt-history as such. There could be some fine stories made, and perhaps this is one, but it would have to deal with some peculiar RL characters and not so much grand events to get me into a story.

TNP thinks local government personnel "ordering" restaurants and bars to close should all kill themselves. They're not pressing for increased testing, anything useful, but just pandering to acid-smoking conspiracy nuts. They'd be better off dead than alive.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Strongly disagree. When France - France, of all places! - closes all bars and restaurants, it's not just for fun. COVID-19 (more than three thousand deaths in China, and counting) is not to be taken lightly.

TNP has had takeout pizza in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I prefer my pizze frozen and toxin-free. Just the way Gödel would have liked it.

TNP feels very strongly that vulnerable populations should self-quarantine, when possible, and that utmost care should observed by everyone, but holds that a triage of the population into the vulnerable and those unlikely to suffer real health consequences is both reasonable and represents the only practical method to follow vis-ŕ-vis public health. Although the suggestion is, one admits, distasteful and undemocratic.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not yet, I think, and I hope to God it never comes to that.

TNP is already feeling a touch of cabin fever.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not yet, but I'm still going to the office, on the nearly deserted subway, sitting in my nearly deserted office.

TNP is already starting to feel like they're living in a zombie movie.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. None more than when, between shifts on St. Patrick's feast day, I stopped at my favorite bar (normally open 365 days a year for 19.5 hours each day) and found the door locked. It was like a Twilight Zone episode, and I didn't care for it at all.

TNP has noticed an unusually higher number of older people out walking, maybe because that's one thing they can do reasonably safely.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, about the same as usual around here.

TNP might go for a bicycle ride in the next day or so.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I wouldn't do that. I might tacitly approve of cautious and alert cyclists, however.

TNP has mixed thoughts on whether it's being a bit of a bastard or not to head out to the grocery store for sundries, like beer or smokes or things like that.

Registered
    Sep 2009

For necessities, no. For luxuries, yes. Of course you get to define those for yourself.

TNP is re-reading a favorite book this week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure, if you take a liberty and say that hearing various tunes like "People Get Ready" and "A Change is Gonna Come" takes on a little bit of the flavor of reading a favorite book. Chapters from the book of whatever.

TNP had been asked "what's your favorite song" by a relative stranger more than once in the past six months, and had no idea how to answer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I don't know if that's ever happened to me, at least from a relative stranger.

TNP's "favourite" has changed for a lot of things over the years.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, that probably true. Current favorites (subject to change daily):

Movie: Casablanca
    Book: Tuf Voyaging by George R.R. Martin
    Song: "Scream" by Usher
    Pie: Pumpkin
    Color: forest green

TNP likes at least one of those things.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Are you kidding? Who doesn't like one of those several. There'd have to be a perfect storm for some individual to dislike any of those five.

TNP has either said to himself or herself "It's cooking time, bitch, let's get spanking!" or has noticed someone actually use the phrase "wash[ed] in [the] blood of Jesus" non-ironically, and still respected her.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm. No, not either, I don't think, except in fiction as to the second.

TNP has seen Casablanca in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. It's what I would call a pretty good movie, and can be rewatched many times. Very good movie. I'm no fat hypocrite.

TNP has done a few things on Facebook recently: viewed others' pages, updated one's own, whatever like that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, Facebook is a place where I spend a fair bit of time, despite all its flaws.

TNP is Facebook friends with somebody they don't know at all IRL.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, several. But there are more that I kinda sorta know, or think I did, before they asked me to friend them.

TNP wants pizza tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah. I'm pizza'd out ATM. I did have about five beer bratwursts between shifts, just cooked and put on a plate, and in theory that should be plenty of food for the day. Not particularly filling, but it's an OK choice of food: not absolute junk food, but lots of protein and some good offal such that one remains humble. Not exactly health food, but it's at least a defensible choice.

TNP is somehat mildly riddled with a touch of anxiety from time to time these days. Nothing that can't be fixed, but it's there, bubbling in the hindbrain.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely, what with Trump, COVID-19, the economy and global climate change.

TNP has a favorite poem.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I guess so. Maybe. Sort of a toss-up between The Iliad, The Ćneid, and Mallarmé's "A Throw of the Dice..." Impossible to choose, really.

TNP has a favorite movie that isn't Casablanca

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ha! No, it's my favorite. After that, I have quite a few vying for second place: Breaker Morant, The Incredibles, Notorious, Limitless, Pride & Prejudice, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars: A New Hope, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, True Lies, Trading Places, Midnight Run, Dark City, Buckaroo Banzai, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Trek: First Contact, Gladiator, Memento, and some others if I only had time to list 'em all.

TNP loves at least three of those movies, and will tell us which.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, somewhere between "love" and "like." Midnight Run, 2001, Buckaroo Banzai, Notorious, for sure get close to love/like. I haven't seen Gladiator or The Incredibles, but I'm sure they're fine movies, and am looking forward to seeing the latter one of these days.

TNP has been inside either a Walmart or a Costco in the past few days.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, neither.

"Do you like movies about gladiators, Joey?":

Dammit. Should have mentioned Airplane!

TNP really likes Airplane!, too.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. That was the first thing I thought of when I read the movie title Gladiator: this is surely is really unlikely to be a joke, so I'll refrain.

TNP has a real lack of ability to do a halfway good Peter Graves impression. "I'm Peter Graves, and this is Biography!"

Registered
    Sep 2009

I guess I can do a halfway-decent one. Not gonna win me any awards on Talent Night, though.

TNP has taken part in a talent show.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. It was kind of a thing out in the country, like the local entertainment. Yeah, I did that for a while and like "that fucking kid can play some country piano and such, how come we don't got none what play us some of what now Jerry Lee and such."

TNP is never going back to the country, even the suburbs, primarily because the people fucking suck.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, my parents and one of my sisters live in the country, so I'm sure I'll be going back, and I don't mind it in the least. There are people who fucking suck in all kinds of places.

TNP has heard church bells ring in the past hour.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I don't live that near a church. When I hear them, it's when I'm out and about and just happen to be near a church. Not recently, though. I bet the atheists really think they've got the ultimate "gotcha" with transsubstantion: like if you chug down some blood of christ, how you gonna get CV19 or whatever, if it's the real presence. Nah. I'm not having any of that "deep thoughts for undergraduates" line of unbelievably petty, juvenile, zealous thinking. I'm sure there's a theological discussion there, but I don't know much about theology at all. I'm sure there are any number of pages in Aquinas, or some of the neo-Thomists, and certainly a paragraph or two in the catechism of the Church, but I don't give a fuck.

TNP would be absolutely shocked if anything timely came out of the so-called stimulus package in the US. No faith whatsoever that an empty White House and a bunch of zipperheads in congress can or will do anything at all. Even if it's not through malice, but a failure of logistics.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I think that's a realistic concern. But I'm an optimist at heart.

TNP had a cup of tea today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah. A few cups of coffee with milk, a few liters of water, and a couple beers.

ETA No, I didn't mean "zipperhead" in the racist sense. I'm not too sure if the term should be used, or can be used, but in my mind it indicates someone who is, more or less a spy, someone with a hidden agenda. Anyway, if I was wrong about the usage, I apologize.

TNP takes a bit of cold comfort in that there's something pretty wrong with the people who hold part of the nominal reins in many prominent countries. Scott Morrison in Australia: a very troubled individual indeed. Boris Johnson doesn't seem to have many fans at all in the UK, at least among people I talk to. Justin Trudeau: at first glance, seems harmless enough, but it doesn't take much digging to find some problems there. Macron in France? Well, I was a fan during the elections, but, he's a pretty strange little dude, if you want to be honest about it. Granted, he doesn't have all that much real power, but it's still not nothing and his office has multiple areas of significant influence. And the less said about the US, Russia, China, Japan, probably the better.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 30 Mar 2020 at 12:01 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not sure if they're actually more troubled than usual, or if in this Internet age we just know more about them than we would have in 1920 or 1970.

If TNP was rich and well-connected at the time, he or she wouldn't particularly mind living in 1920.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah I could think of worse times, provided one had finances locked down and didn't do nothing stupid. Great years for music in the west, literature, that whole WWI thing got done with. Still some just awful remnants of robber barons hanging around, so I wouldnt want to be confused with having their resources, but yeah. OTOH, rampant anti-Catholicism in the US, nah, meh, I could make that work. Free, white, and twenty one? Yeah, I'd be just about as good as a pig in shit.

Oh. Yeah, the treatments for venereal diseases. No, I'm not having some jerk put a syringe up my urethra.

All right, fine. I'll think about it. But those flapper ladies better be worth it, motherfucker. And they can just cancel all that short hair and shit, because that's not how I'm having my circa 1920s women.

TNP wouldn't be that offended if someone accused him of being a sexist pig.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If I'd earned it, no. But I do my level best not to earn it.

TNP is feeling a little stir-crazy today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I'm pretty grateful to the universe that my job involves going out most days and getting to see my crew at work.

TNP feels quite a bit of empathy for people who aren't used to being alone and who are seuquestered. Yeah, I know you guys and possibly gals are habituated to cracking a book from time to time, but it would seem a lot of people are just utterly lost, no idea how to spend their time.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A bit, but I feel particularly empathetic for the doctors, nurses, EMTs and hospital workers who have to expose themselves daily to COVID-19. Not sure I'd be brave enough.

TNP knows someone who's regularly exposed to the disease these days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, sure. I'd bet we all know our friendly neighborhood grocers and such who are very likely exposed many times a day.

TNP had a good moment of Schadenfreude when recently people realized there's not going to be any stimulus checks coming in the mail for the U.S. I mean, really, people believed that?

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, but I have to admit I kind of hope that some of those who blithely ignored quarantine orders and closures and social distancing will get really sick, if not die.

TNP would agree with that sentiment.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I'd disagree pretty strongly about that: nobody knew WTH was going on, and you know as well as I do most people just aren't understanding the science and such. Maybe that's not a good excuse, for being hard of knowing, but I can't really get up peoples' asses for not knowing what they don't know.

TNP is a bit drinking too much, attempting to womanize, eating poorly, and just plain not that healthy in the past few weeks or more.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I'm getting along healthwise pretty much as I had before the pandemic hit, fortunately.

TNP has seen a film adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma in the past two years.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, that's a good call, though. No. In fact I don't think I've even read the novel. I'll get around to it one of these days.

TNP has noticed recently that some of the men have been driving fast and being rowdy in general, and that our wonderful companions the women of the world are getting a bit not too happy as well.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, that has escaped my notice, I confess.

I've seen all four of the Emmas done in the past 20 years, and the newest is pretty good:

TNP now really wants to see the movie - or is at least more inclined to do so than before seeing the trailer.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I've wanted to see the latest for a while, but I haven't seen the trailer and probably won't.

TNP watches precious few movie trailers, and yet still keeps somewhat current on movies.

Registered
    Sep 2009

False. I watch movie trailers all the time.

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Yeah, I've wanted to see the latest for a while, but I haven't seen the trailer....
    Uh... see the post just above yours.

TNP hates it when movie trailers reveal too much of the plot (which that one doesn't, BTW).

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I prefer to know the rough plot of a movie ahead of time, whether it's obtained via a trailer or, more usually in my case, some print media or other.

TNP is not one for surprises, in any aspect of life.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Pretty much true. Very few surprises in my life have been of the delightful variety.

TNP had pretty much forgotten that Easter is this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I haven't forgotten at all, but without all the activities during Holy Week, it's kind of not as much of a thing.

TNP has 'constructed' a face mask for his or her own use, but it isn't any more complicated than the kind of thing somebody robbing a train in the Old West would have worn.

Registered
    Sep 2009

My wife made one for me. She's a talented seamstress.

TNP has felt the sunshine on his or her face today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, briefly, when I took out the trash and emptied out the mailbox. First time outside since Saturday or Sunday. It was OK, but I'd be lot more sanguine if half the population would stop breathing, permanently. Just tailgaters and loud people, really. The rest can probably stay.

TNP has ever had hallucinations (I'd say really intense dreams indistinguishable from reality) that coincided with a moderate fever.

+ Reply to thread