+ Reply to thread
Page 170 of 204 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 180 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,500 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

I could do with some more plain white tees, but it's not a crisis.

(I really don't like squash, FTR).

TNP has heard a cricket chirp in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm hearing them right now. Unless I've gone completely mental or have some kind of odd cricket-themed tinnitus.

If the TNP can name all the US Presidents in order, he or she can name the Vice Presidents in a similar fashion. If not, explain this slothful deficiency!

Registered
    Sep 2009

I can indeed name the Presidents in order, including years in office, from memory, but not the Veeps, alas. Just never allocated sufficient grey cells to the task. Don't you judge me!

TNP is judging me.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. I judge you as a slacker! OK, fine, I can't do the VPs either, except the obvious ones. No years or nujmbers, either. But I'm just a hypocrite slacker, definite a second degree offense.

TNP has ever cut his (or her!) beard in an odd shape as a joke and decided to leave it like that for a while. You know, like the Chester Alan Arthur/Lemmy/Martin van Buren style all the kids from the Gilded Age were wearing.

Registered
    Sep 2009

LOL. Nope, never have. As to Martin van Buren:

TNP had never seen that ad before.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not before now. I didn't catch what it was supposed to be advertising: probably some phone or something. Mad propers to the Red Fox, though! Ezra Pound loved that motherfucker, and that's good enough for me. He was sometimes right about political history. Well, a few times he was ... oddly enthusiastic ... about good people, but he didn't exactly explain his reasoning in the Cantos. Well, sort of he did, but, not in a way that is conventional among historians.

TNP can add another name to the list of exceptional, very famous artists who had extremely peculiar habits or views. My examples are Glenn Gould and Ezra Pound. There are others, I am sure.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure. Frank Lloyd Wright was a visionary architect but a terrible practical engineer, and had such a big ego that he brusquely rejected suggestions from those who knew the subject better. Our recent tour guide at Fallingwater told us that the building was structurally unsafe the very day it opened. If the on-site construction supervisor hadn't secretly put in extra steel for the cantilevered porches, they long ago would've fallen into the creek.

TNP has been to Fallingwater: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I only "travel" to about four or five designated locations these days. Ever.

TNP chooses between two T-shirts he or she would be forced to wear in public, namely, "Free Moustache Rides," or "Michael Vick, MVP," and will say the result of the choice.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Free moustache rides" since I don't have a moustache, and will just look like I'm so poor I have to wear random T-shirts, and not like I support a dog-fighting tool.

TNP thinks that there's probably a market for a dish called "steak-fried chicken".

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I guess probably. I don't know what that would be, but it sort of sounds like something some people might order, maybe if they were drunk or otherwise impaired. Or just hungry.

After all, it is absolutely true that chicken breast is best served medium rare. Chicken breast with an au poivre sauce is probably good. The irregular shape of the average chicken breast presents a problem, but fortunately all kitchens worth the name have rubber mallets or at least a regular hammer borrowed from the maintenance guy.

TNP sort of regrets that Napoleon didn't have more and better ships and stuff, with which he might have tamed the American and Canadian wildernesses while subduing the dominant British influences therewithin.

TNP thinks pork rinds are kind of gross unless they have a lot of added seasoning. Edible, but gross like rice cakes or something. Not much there.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 21 Oct 2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: chicharrones

Registered
    Sep 2009

Meh. I don't particularly mind either pork rinds or rice cakes, but if I never eat another that'd be OK.

TNP could go for a coffee right about now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, pretty much always.

TNP sees the world in a pretty positive light, all things considered.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not especially. I think my perception of the world and its human inhabitants is pretty accurate, though, which doesn't at all prevent the perception of nice or positive things.

TNP knows at least one person IRL who seems to think getting the flu vaccine causes one to become sick.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I do hear that from time to time, yes.

TNP thinks a global pandemic is a definite possibility.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I suppose so. I'm not sure what counts as the distinction between a pandemic and an epidemic, but it seems that HIV has done a good job circling the globe, and certainly this year's Brisbane influenza is probably getting around through the various shipping vectors.

I'm not going to look up the precise definitions, but just from the prefixes, you know, at what point does an epi-anything become a universal, signified by the pan? Multiple points of origin, indiscriminate and global? I guess. Climate change would seem to be a pandemic, and other cultural universals. Not sure. Epidemic? Well, I don't know, the ebola virus, the numerous influenzas from Queensland, Oz. Nut allergies. I don't know.

TNP would describe himself or herself as pretty lazy, at heart: no matter how much he or she accomplishes, still, slothful in nature.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If I let myself, yes. But I'm capable of very hard work, and usually try with some success to keep my nose to the grindstone.

TNP will be going to a concert in the next three days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I have been noticing since I started "reading" one of the local alternative rags again that Mel Brown, the drummer, has a weekly featuring the Hammond organ (not sure, but it's probably Louis Pain) at some club I never heard of that just sprouted up. Could be fun, but I'm not going to drive downtown and do all that. I already caught that act back, probably quite literally, back when I had more energy, time, and money.

TNP has a preference for an outdoor concert or an indoor date in some small joint with low ceilings and high prices. And will say which.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll take the outdoor concert. Concerts in small joints with low ceilings tend to be too loud for me.

TNP believes that if it's too loud, you're too old.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Probably some truth to that. Loud music and party-type atmospheres seem to be a young person's thing. Although I confess I played Motörhead records for quite a while last night, and that's pretty loud music even if the volume is turned down. It's existentially loud, I guess.

TNP finds himself writing things which even he or she can't quite decipher, semantically, in the light of day.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never been a problem for me. I have come across letters which I wrote, say, three or four years ago, which I have no memory of writing, though.

TNP prefers to word-process than to handwrite.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I have to abstain from that question. Completely different uses. Generally, pencil and paper is the way to go, for quick notes or annotations, but I'm also addicted to this very powerful text editor called Vim, a sort of successor to something called Vi, which was created quite a long time ago. I've been using the latter for years, and while it has an admittedly steep learning curve, even after daily use, there are still many features I barely use.

As in, features you'd never know existed, except by reading one of the several lengthy books devoted to its skillful use. I only very rarely go back to a true word-processor, much as I am incompetent at doing markup in LaTeX. I'd rather just scrawl something in an equivalent of MS paint if a diagram is needed and paste it together with tape on a hard copy printed from a text editor.

It's like a typewriter, to me — although a very powerful one with superb editing and navigational tools — and I've always owned and used typewriters.

However, ditto with pencils, especially since discovering the world of technical "clutch" pencils in 2mm lead. I don't draw, but it is a revelation to choose one's weapon for marking up a musical score or a printed text. 2B lead? B? 3B? HB? 2H for fine work? Many decisions to be made, and it is a pleasure using sturdy instruments that aren't just disposable, but rather sturdy and crafted for a specific use. Plus, I don't misplace them like I often do with less important instruments, although the ones I use are not expensive.

TNP has a good example of some kinds of language usage he or she has just given up on. For example, the use of "rather" vs. "quite" (I believe that's chiefly British or Commonwealth usage), or the simple future of "shall" in the first persons vs. "will" for the other persons, and vice versa for a modal future.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not really, although I really annoyed my older sister by dismissively saying "Be that as it may" to just a few too many things she said for awhile in my teens.

TNP has said or written "Be that as it may" in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't believe I've ever said or written that phrase in my entire life. Not sure why, just doesn't seem like something I'd say. Could be wrong, though.

TNP thinks it would be a good idea to write or use some little program that enables one to stay logged into various sites on one's PC — banking sites, employment records, insurance sites, those kinds of things that time out after a pretty short time of inactivity.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes! Our court computers log you out after just ten minutes of inactivity. Very frustrating, and I'm told it can't be changed.

TNP has had a glass of cider in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had cider, ever (you know, "hard" cider).

Glad to hear I'm not the only one frustrated by time-outs on various sites. Yeah, security, whatever, but it is annoying and pointless on my home network which is plenty locked-down from outsiders. Wouldn't help those who use web apps or sites on the job, but maybe I'll try to write some little Python script to do some jiggery pokery for my own use. Probably won't get around to it, but it would be a fun exercise.

TNP has had sparkling non-alcoholic cider or other such "wines" in the past year or so.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm... doubt it, but couldn't say for sure.

TNP has a definite preference as to the proper martini garnish, and will state it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, sure. Those green olives with pimentos in them, or however it's spelled. Not into the whole Gibson thing with the little onion. They make a good guitar, but they don't do onions right. Those olives are the reason for a martini's existence, IMHO. And vice versa.

TNP pretty strongly feels that a clear mixed drink (vodka tonic, gimlet, stuff like that, except for martinis) really needs lime, not lemon. You know, the traditional rules: lime for clear, lemon for colored (Cuba libre excepted, which takes lime).

Registered
    Sep 2009

I rarely drink cocktails, and have no strong opinion on them. I'm mostly a beer, wine and Scotch guy.

TNP mailed a handwritten personal letter in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Scrawled a manifesto in dull 4B pencil lead and sent it via post to an enemy? No. I have had some lively conversations with RL friends in the past week, but just typed into the keyboard and sent through the pneumato-electronic tubes, as one does.

TNP has tried a new brewery's beer (new to them, anyway) this past week and liked it quite a bit.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, haven't been drinking that much beer the past few years.

TNP thinks Coke Zero is way better than it has any right to be.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never tried it. Not into colas.

TNP prefers ginger ale to root beer.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, I don't know. I really don't care for root beer, but the average root beer compared to the average canned ginger ale? Yeah, I'd take one for the team and have some root beer. Some of those sarsparillas are OK.

TNP has ever tried his or her hand at growing root vegetables or rhizomes or tubers or whatever. Like ginger or horseradish or even the humble potato.

Registered
    Feb 2009

A bit, especially counting when I was a kid on the farm and we'd grow potatoes sometimes. I've tried carrots on my own, and zero luck.

TNP sometimes thinks of trying to raise their own avocado tree from a leftover pit, then goes "Why the hell would I do that?"

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not me personally but I was with a girl who was always suspending avocado pits with toothpicks over some water. No idea what she was trying to do.

TNP has very few quirky habits, but if he or she does, confession is required and will be forthcoming directly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have a bit of OCD and tend to get every flu bug that goes around, so I will always touch a doorknob or handle with a corner of my coat or, in the winter, my gloves rather than my bare hand.

TNP has seen snow in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. It's been plenty cold enough, but windy enough that there aren't many clouds to speak of. That's about the extent of my metereological knowledge.

TNP hass at one time tried to understand thermodynamics at the atomospheric level, you know, from books and observation and stuff, but really doesn't know anything to speak of about the topic.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Haven't even really tried, but am pretty sure the math is beyond me.

TNP is kind of an autodidact, but ends up feeling pretty ignorant about more stuff.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not exactly. Heavily influenced by the approaches of a handful various instructors, even those whose banner I would not march behind, which carried over to the real work of learning little techniques (and some larger techniques) on one's own, influenced by persuasive mainstream authors.

TNP has a kind of horror of really eccentric views. Fringe-type stuff, not just minoritarian views that are well-documented and recognized by various fields.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not at all. Life is more interesting with eccentric views in circulation, as long as they don't become government policy.

TNP knows at least three employees of the United States Government.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Probably. Just talking federal government, yes. I don't know, bunch of military officers who are still under papers, some active, some just still "not retired, but still obligated," whatever that is, somebody who works for the VA, oh, hell, if you want to stretch it, probably some nut would say, "President T-Bag, him working for me now, yes he does." If you stretch it to the level of state employees, then the net grows wider. A senior judge of my state (trust me, it's a real term). But, yeah sure, I guess so. It's like trying to remember how many times you dropped acid or how many sexual partners you've had — probably could figure it out, but it would take a little bit of thinking.

REDACTEDTNP knows somebody who claims she can't talk about the most minor details of her work, including department and role, even to her own mother. (In the case I'm thinking about, I know her mother pretty well, I guess, and she's a blabbermouth chatty-edgar-bergen-type, so I guess I understand).

TNP has recently been part of a small RL conversation interrupted by a server chiding someone to "remember what we said, [xxxx], no religion or politics!"
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 02 Nov 2019 at 12:31 AM. Reason: just remembered funny thing today after mass at the bar

Registered
    Sep 2009

I heard that said jokingly, yes, not too long ago, but not by a server.

TNP has worn a winter coat in the past three days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. It would take a lot to put on a full parka or ski jacket with the liner.

TNP, if he or she had no dependents and was otherwise in reasonably OK shape, would probably not do anything except have an aspirin if he or she experienced specific pain around his or her heart muscle. You know, cause it's a hassle doing all that other stuff.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If it was mild, correct. If it felt at all serious, no, I'd want to have a doc look me over.

TNP knows at least three MDs socially.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, don't think so. There's one who would probably say "Yo, wassup!" if I saw him again. Or vice versa. Although the above previous poster should should be ashamed for not including DDSes among the MDs. They will cut you, man!

TNPs toenails have gotten so fucked up at one point in time he or she has either soaked his or her feet in hot water before performing minor corrections, or has considered using the services of a ... pedicurist? I think that's the word.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've had the occasional ingrown toenail and athlete's foot now and then, but nothing that bad, no.

TNP knows someone who's entirely missing a toenail.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not at the moment. I've known at least a couple of people who have lost toenails, but they grew back. As far as I know.

TNP knows at least one person who is missing all or part of a finger (or toe).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, a former colleague lost part of a finger and her hand was somewhat deformed as a result of a farm accident when she was little.

TNP has been in a car crash.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nothing as bad as a crash, couple fender bender type things.

TNP knew somebody well who died in a car accident.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, I suppose so. Not a close friend, but I knew who she was and we were in the same peer group in HS. In her car going down the same street I go down ten or twelve or more times a week. Just went off the road.

TNP has known somebody pretty close who was murdered.

Jeez, you guys are dark!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not terribly close, but a friend of my parents was killed by a mentally-disturbed man in the early 1980s. I didn't know the victim well.

TNP has been given flowers in the past month.

+ Reply to thread