+ Reply to thread
Page 158 of 204 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 168 ... LastLast
Results 7,851 to 7,900 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

I love fun! And I did once follow a guy who was driving all over the road, pretty obviously DUI, while calling police and helping them zero in on him. Didn't stick around to see the bust.

TNP has called the police in the past six months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Wow. I guess I should not be on the road when EH is on the case. No, I haven't called the cops on anybody recently. Although I don't rule it out as a prudent option if something extraordinary should happen. ETA...no, still not within sixth months past, but I have in the past made pretty good use of the police to shut down some outrageous noise violations. It was a different town, and IMHO the police were extremely accommodating and effective. And it was only a last resort, so as to not tie up their time with nonsense.

TNP has had some law enforcement knock on his or her door (either a literal domicile entrance or a metaphorical understanding of the phrase will do).

Better: TNP finds it hard to tell if the roughly 70-77% of horrible menaces on various highways are chemically impaired, or just plain morons. There sure are a lot of bad actors on the road, but I couldn't say if they're on some weed or alcohol, or just idiots who are distracted and forgot that driving is a very serious responsibility.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 Feb 2019 at 01:43 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Really can't tell, no, and I'm assuming that a lot of offenders are irresponsible idiots who are also high.

TNP is glad they live in a city with decentish public transit.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes; however, I think much of the hype in my current town is smoke, mirrors, and a good bit of puffery disguised as "civic pride." Public transport doesn't exist in a truly meaningful sense unless, say, some 80 percent of the population is mostly dependent on it for their daily needs. Which is rare except in a few large cities, IME. And, yes, I made up that percentage, but it could be right.

TNP finds it a bit challenging to remember to stay hydrated when in the midst of cold weather.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, never been a problem for me.

TNP is a Blues Brothers fan.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Fan's" a bit strong, but I liked their music back in the day.

TNP has been to the National Blues Museum in St. Louis.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nope. Have to admit I didn't even know there was one.

TNP has been to one of either the football, baseball or basketball HOF.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. What some people consider Halls, I consider Hell.

TNP is extremely annoyed at having to use the telephone to clear up some confusions about things like insurance or utilities. In this day and age, indeed.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, it's usually an annoyance. I always take notes so that, if I have to reenter the bureaucratic maze, I can tell them who I spoke to earlier, what they told me, and when.

TNP has heard American humorist David Sedaris read his own work.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I think a few times back on the radio reading some bits of anecdotes/tales. I could be confusing him with someone else, but I don't think so. Pretty amusing, IIRC, as a raconteur-type.

TNP would gladly accept an implanted chip (unfortunately, there is no such device which is secure AFAIK) to avoid having to deal with shuffling monetary funds around using antiquated (but secure! sort of...not really...never mind) banking instruments. OR, TNP would gladly consider yanking one of those chained-down pens out of its receptacle at some bank/cuNion just out of...a sense of fun.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Given how frequently security breaches occur, and how diligently hackers here and abroad strive to overcome every safeguard, I'd respond to an offered implanted chip with a lusty "Not a @#$%^! chance, mate!"

TNP considers himself or herself a closet Luddite.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I'm out and proud. I don't even like bicycles. But I know some of what my enemies know and feel capable of doing battle in the techno-fetish underworld of gadget-freaks.

TNP would rather be able to do a handstand without support of a wall, or some one-armed pushups.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, sure, why not?

TNP has seen The Silence of the Lambs in the past five years (as I just did).

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not that recently. It makes my head explode to realize Ted Levine as Jame Gumb is the same actor as the detective guy from that TV show Monk, and lots of other tough-talking cop/detective roles, IIRC.

TNP is the owner of what might be the most boring book ever written.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I give those to the library if they haven't hooked me after 50 pages. I will have no boring books in my house.

TNP will tell us the title of the most boring book he or she has ever read.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. But I will say it's the kind of little book you really wish had fewer words and more symbols. There are not enough words to describe the terseness of the brief expository passages, nor their appalling lack of character. I always knew mathematicians as a pretty fun-loving bunch, but apparently this quality is not shared among their peers in engineering. No, it's not a book of logarithm tables: those (yes, they still exist, although I no longer have one) have some charm in their simplicity.

TNP has never found it easy to memorize works of poetry, or similarly-structured works, despite knowing various tricks (mnemonics, "memory palaces" or whatever).

Registered
    Sep 2009

That's true. Learning Shakespearean dialogue in high school, in particular, was very difficult for me; likewise Chekhov in college.

TNP has seen a play by one of those two gentlemen in the past three months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I've never seen a play by Chekhov, even a recording, and it's been a long time since I saw a play of Shakespeare. The latter's plays I sometimes dip into reading, but I don't have the patience for a lot of the pageantry around a live performance. I think the last recording of a play I saw was some awful rendition of Schiller's masterpiece, Don Carlos, but I turned it off quickly and continued to explore the play on paper.

TNP thinks Richard Feynman probably deserved more than a few swirlies or atomic wedgies back in his day.

Registered
    Sep 2009

But of course.

TNP thinks Dr. Feynman was properly honored with a fictional shuttlecraft, and knew about it already: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...(shuttlecraft)

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, that sounds about right. Totally dorky, but it's all in good fun and I bet he would have liked the idea.

TNP can remember the last time he or she did hard labor for a few hours, whether at a gym or doing some other, more useful tasks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cleaning out the garage qualified for that, I'd say. A long, hot and sweaty job.

TNP prefers a bath to a shower after doing hard labor.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I prefer a fresh change of clothes, or at least dry shorts and a dry shirt, and a shower if indicated. IME sweat itself doesn't really stink unless it's been a medium for bacterial growth for a little while. 99% of the time the "BO" stench is really coming from the bacterial sewers of clothes that need washing (or quarantining in a hamper/laundry bag/whatever). At least for me.

TNP did not know that most major banks will cash a mature savings bond, even if one doesn't have an account there. You know, with ID, thumbprint, and all that. And that, yes indeed, your average person doesn't even remember those ancient relics called US treasury/savings bonds. Buy where you work or bank! Support the war effort! Sort of.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I think I had heard that, back in the day.

TNP has heard a jackhammer in the past week.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not that I can recall, no.

TNP has operated a forklift.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I don't actually have any warehouse skills except picking up and moving heavy things, so, no, nobody ever let me try to just "test one out." I'm pretty sure everyone who's seen the movie Aliens had a little envy at seeing Ripley move the robo-loader and earn the respect of the CO, though. It would be nice to have a skill like that in your repertoire.

TNP has been in close proximity to two "new [to them]" girls, at least one whom seems like she could be deigned to be respected.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I suppose that could be said of some of our law clerks.

Ripley impressed Sgt. Apone and Cpl. Hicks with her mad loader skillz, but not the CO, Lt. Gorman, who wasn't there:

TNP thinks Aliens is a totally awesome movie.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, it is an awesome movie. Maybe not totally, because some things still confuse me about how the Marines are structured in rank IN SPACE!!!. Good point about Gorman — he's easy to forget about, at least for me. I would have liked to have seen the ranking NCO Apone serve up Gorman's face on a platter, rather than the Lt. just becoming xeno-meat.

TNP finds it enormously distressing to perform sorting tasks without a higher-level algorithm in place.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Since I never have to do that, no.

TNP could do with some Blade Runner 2049 electronica playing in the background right now:

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Absolutely not.

TNP will choose which is better to say to a clueless yuppie yakking in the middle of a grocery store aisle: (a) "Let's go, fatty" or (b) <insert random body attribute, like "Move it, teeth!" or "You're in the way, forehead lady!" or "Haven't got all day, fish-sauce" and so forth>.

TNP must choose. There is no not choosing, for this is a poll of TNP.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If I must, I'll go with (b), "Haven't got all day, fish-sauce" (or whatever I see he's about to put in his cart).

TNP has said something like that to a stranger in the grocery store in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, today I satisfied myself with standing mute and putting myself in the direct path of the offenders, and waiting while in a calm, imperturbable state. In a worse mood I would have gone with the default, "You're in my way <turn head> chub." Yes, that is how I roll. Like a complete prick whose mood is brightened by insulting others, while not succumbing to any kind of outwardly-observable expression.

TNP is pretty convinced they don't make clothes like they used to. Probably.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, you can find either good and bad clothes, just as you always could. You have to pay more for the best, just as you always did.

TNP will see a movie this weekend.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Maybe, depending on wife and kid stuff.

TNP has watched Russian Doll on Netflix.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nope, haven't heard of it.

TNP sometimes uses YouTube as a jukebox for favorite songs.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I suppose, although I don't listen to a lot of music. YouTube is extremely convenient to me for finding a track I either have in some form and don't feel like finding among my stuff, or for inspecting live performances.

TNP thinks the only sounds one should generally hear in a bar are the muted tones of a television, and the occasional crack of a pool cue hitting some balls around. And occasionally somebody can play a tune.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I like hearing music in a bar, as long as it's not deafening. And I prefer it to having the TV on and audible.

TNP will be going out to dinner tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I sort of had half a dinner out. A beer after work. But I decided to complete the meal at home: a few bottles of wine, a couple of frozen burritos, and a bunch of frozen spiral-cut "french" "fries." At least the music didn't drive me crazed with irritation at home, because there wasn't any.

TNP eats some food pretty often which should be spelled using scare quotes around its name.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Scare quotes? No. But I'm not averse to bad-for-me fast food now and then.

TNP has read a really good book in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, actually one that really stood out: Mohit's Python Penetration Testing Essentials. Remarkably clear prose, full of a bunch of new (to me) ideas.

TNP doesn't really make a distinction between "fun"/"popular" and "technical"/"non-fiction" books: they're all equally possibly fun or disappointing.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, I suppose I don't.

TNP likes absinthe, but has a feeling it doesn't like them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Had a glass of it once and it did nothing for me.

TNP would like to live a bohemian lifestyle in Paris.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, but preferably without dying of consumption.

TNP thinks "consumption" is kind of a cool word for a disease, as is "hydrophobia".

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, and "apoplexy" for strokes. I favor giving nasty diseases poetic names to make them seem just a little more glamorous or interesting.

TNP can and will think of a good name for a disease that doesn't now have one.

Registered
    Jul 2013

polyschemic tinnea versistriata, with autophagic abraded lesions. No idea what that means, but it just describes a rash I've got on one part of my thigh, probably from sitting too close to my space heater near my desk for years, always in the same position.

TNP can see from where he or she is sitting thousands of pages of paper that are not where they should be.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I suppose, if I ever got around to really organizing our home office.

That's pretty good quasi-medical jargon.

TNP has been following the Chicago mayoral campaign.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, but I assume that somebody who would be in jail anyplace else is going to win?

TNP kinda likes Chicago, but recognizes what a strange place it is.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'd say that's true. I always enjoy my visits there, though.

TNP has been in Chicago in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Far from it. Although I did overhear someone at a bar say "Chi" (as in abbreviation for "Chi-town" as in...you know...that place).

TNP is not going to celebrate Mardi Gras this week in any special way, but is going to observe Ash Wednesday and get ashed.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Probably neither, actually.

TNP knows who Pris and Roy are without Googling.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Of course! Pris is the one with the hair and the makeup and Roy is the one who is excluded from San Francisco's exhilirating "fisting" scene.

Same thing, but with Charlus and Albertine.

+ Reply to thread