+ Reply to thread
Page 152 of 204 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 162 202 ... LastLast
Results 7,551 to 7,600 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes. If I wanna click on a link to watch a video, I will. Don't start it on me automatically, dammit.

TNP took a long walk tonight.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not too long, but a walk, which not many people do in my neighbourhood. Trying to get back into the habits I got out of when my kid moved away.

TNP is missing somebody right now.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I was just thinking about a college friend I'd like to see again sometime.

TNP has been to a college reunion.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I went to a very large, private, research-and-grad-student-oriented university as an UG. While I made friends, most of us were rather busy with studies. The few "core group" from the first year I kind of "grew up with," well, we keep in touch as much as desired.

TNP did quite a bit of "partying" (define it however you like) during the first year of college.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I was pretty boring on the social front.

TNP drinks a lot less now than in college.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I drank quite a bit in college, but not daily. Not enough to affect my studies, but probably enough to cause some amount of irreversible brain damage. Weed, hallucinogens, and cocaine probably contributed their share to brain damage as well. It was not a "party school," by any means, but it was in a "party city."

TNP is amazed at just how much one can drink on a daily basis and still be "functional" (go to work, drive a car safely, not get hangovers, maintain good hygiene, pay bills on time, have coherent RL conversations, etc.).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 09 Nov 2018 at 08:14 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, I guess. Just based on the number of highly successful people who crash from their alcoholism after years of getting by, not personal experience.

TNP has more than three bottles of top shelf liquor at home.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No. A bottle of Johnnie Walker whisky and another of Bacardi rum is the only liquor we have in the house, and it's not exactly "top shelf."

TNP knows someone who's a knowledgeable oenophile.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not personally. I'm the most knowledgeable person I know about wines, but most of that is from a combination of a bartending school certification about wines, just hanging around places where various wines are served, and knowing enough about home wine-making to be dangerous (probably to myself and others). Actually, I take that back: I went to high-school with a daughter of one of the guys involved in the famous "Franco-American" wine taste-testing from...I forgot what year, but the really famous one that upset the French very much — I got to see some of his distilling equipment for brandy-making, but although he's not a friend, and he might be dead for all I know, I'm pretty sure he knew a shitload about vintnering.

TNP will be very happy to not be in a private car with young children in the near future.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't think I would've been anyway, but sure, I'll say yes.

TNP has seen the Hugh Grant dramedy About a Boy.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Absolutely not.

TNP has a powerful hunger for about ten chicken wings fried in the traditional "Buffalo" style, with all the trimmings, and none of the shame of people staring as each wing is consumed. In fact, for bonus points, TNP might go out tomorrow and eat those very wings at a local bar, just for bragging rights that he or she ate them greedily while looking the appealing bartender directly in the eyes the entire time.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 10 Nov 2018 at 02:15 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Absolutely! I loves me some Buffalo wings. With lots of blue cheese for dipping, please.

TNP hates blue cheese with a passion.

Registered
    Jul 2013

What? No, the opposite! They are most excellent cheeses!

TNP always eats the rinds of camemberts and similar cheeses.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 10 Nov 2018 at 02:24 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I tend to skip the rinds.

TNP has seen and enjoyed the Monty Python cheese-shop sketch:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I remember seeing it, and having a few laughs.

TNP has seen a bunch of stuff mainly under that mild form of duress sometimes called "peer pressure." But doesn't regret any of it in any conscious sense.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Some in prep school, I guess, but not in a long time, fortunately.

The sun is shining where TNP now is.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, indeed. In fact I had to put a light fleece jacket just to keep all that burning rays of the sun off me.

TNP is having the favorite between the drumstick and the thigh-like parts of the chicken wings.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, the thigh for me, please.

TNP prefers burgers to hot dogs.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That's a tough one. There are hot
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 12 Nov 2018 at 11:59 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Come again?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh. That was a strange erasure. I think I said something like there are hot dogs and then there are hot dogs, same with burgers, but true, I'd go for ground beef, even just on a plate, cooked medium rare. With the bun/roll, it's easier to get more onions and ketchup in every bite as well, so, definitely true.

TNP is moderately proud of having recently given some navigational directions to a Spanish-only speaker, with a mixture of pidgin English, pidgin Spanish, and whatever words seemed close enough. And that's not personal pride, just a good example of people with good intentions making the best of limited verbal communication.

Alternate TNP: one use for ketchup. Is burgers. Agrees, TNP.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 13 Nov 2018 at 06:26 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Can't say that I've done that lately, but my kid and I have done our best with Dora the Explorer Spanish and good intentions in the past.

TNP likes the music of Tom T. Hall.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not sure I've ever heard any. Let's see: . Yeah, he's OK.

TNP has heard more than three songs on that album.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I haven't.

TNP can probably count in a reasonable amount of time (say, in album-quantity under a thousand, or even a hundred) the albums he or she has heard three or more tracks from. ETA Yes, album, fine. CD. 8-track. Pre-recorded 1/4" open-reel tape. You know damned well what I mean.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 13 Nov 2018 at 02:28 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Several dozen, at least.

TNP still owns more than a dozen vinyl albums.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I don't think I have any.

TNP still has some VCR tapes, even though they haven't had a VCR player in years.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I still have quite a few VHS tapes, although I gave my VCR to my uncle at least a few years ago. It was a great format for recording things off TV or copying (ahem..."borrowing"?) stuff from the library when I was a kid (preteen/young teenager). Supposedly the tape itself can be used to make cheap audio recordings to get some of that classic "analog tape sound" on the cheap, but I've never tried that.

TNP feels a little guilty when playing hooky/calling in sick to work, but does it anyway when the stars aren't in the right alignment/having the monthlies/just plain sick of the grind and wants a little break.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Only once or twice in my entire life, and even then I was at least a little bit ill.

TNP has given less than two weeks' notice before quitting a job.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hahaha. Yes, that'd be a true. It wasn't a "big job" — bussing tables at a restaurant — but, still, it was a responsibility and people there were kind to me, so it's not something I'm proud of. Possibly a work-study job at the library (acquisitions department) as an UG, but that was before summer and I was graduating that year — I think the manager of Acquisitions just felt a little hurt I didn't let her know my whole life plans, so, I don't feel so bad about that.

TNP has been fired from one or more jobs. And lived to tell the tale!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nope, not yet, knock wood.

TNP will be going out to a movie this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

False. I love movies, but these days going out to the movies seems more like going to the mall to see Santa: unpleasant, generally.

TNP greatly prefers small movie theaters to the giant IMAX, multiplex, huge audio speakers.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Probably prefer, but not "greatly".

TNP is already feeling the cold.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, yes. I've been wearing an overcoat, scarf and gloves for more than a week already.

TNP has already heard Christmas songs on the radio.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't listen to the radio much, but I've heard them in stores and such.

TNP thinks likes Sinatra's Christmas songs better than Crosby's.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, about the same. This is probably my favorite non-traditional performance of a Christmas standard:

TNP likes that.

Registered
    Jul 2013

If it's a decent piano trio playing Guaraldi's "Christmas Time Is Here" with plenty of improvisation, then I love it. If it's not (I suspect it's not), then I'm afraid I can't risk my streak this year of not hearing a single Christmas tune (so far).

TNP thinks the trend of people streaming audio from their phones instead of using the radio, combined with a slight cultural edge given to secular music played in public, might mean fewer Christmas songs played in public this year and the following years.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I suppose it's possible.

And no, it's not a piano trio. Make a note in your calendar and come back to listen next month, won't you?

TNP is confident Jizz will do so.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I was not at all confident. But since some dickweed at work played some Xmas music over streaming on the PA, my cherry was busted, so I listened anyway. I respect the musicianship of the performers, but it's just not for me, that tune/arrangement.

TNP can give a good excuse why he or she never "kept up with" playing such-or-such instrument — lots of people say that, but I can never figure out exactly their reasons.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I played the alto saxophone in junior high and enjoyed it, but never really had the chance to play in high school, and then was drawn away by other interests.

TNP considers that a lame excuse.

Registered
    Jul 2013

False. I don't think that's a lame excuse at all — it's not even an excuse, really. Just didn't ring enough bells for you. FWIW, I was super into alto sax as a grade schooler, transposed tunes to Eb, did some stuff with a piano student friend of mine, but I had no idea who Bird or Ray Charles (decent alto sax player!) was, so I stuck around with junkyard whorehouse piano because I knew what that was. Not to mention keeping the embouchure right for endurance was more work than I wanted to do, physically — I'd get frustrated after laying off for a week and not being able to come back to it without my facial muscles giving out. A teacher would have helped, but it was a hick town and it was just kind of something a lot of kids did, take up an instrument to do some Mickey Mouse "orchestra" thing, like a group music class.

TNP could not see taking up a wind or brass instrument again — all the stuff about reeds and mouthpieces is pretty messy and complicated, compared to a guitar/bass or a keyboard — but still wouldn't mind picking up a fiddle and doing some old-school bluegrass or Western Swing just by ear.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 19 Nov 2018 at 09:08 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I wouldn't mind going back to the sax someday. Never felt drawn to the fiddle, although I like the sound of one well-played.

TNP loves "Foggy Mountain Breakdown":

Registered
    Feb 2009

Like, not love.

TNP is starting to give some thought to moving to Arizona.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That is absolutely not true. That's a dirty lie! Never!

TNP can explain exactly why Arizona exists as a US state. Something about copper mines? Must be more reasons.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just guessing, it was in the path of westward expansion and had natural resources that made it appealing (dunno about copper specifically, though).

TNP is now going to go take a look at Wikipedia to learn more about Arizona statehood.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, probably not. I'm sure I have a long time ago.

TNP gets about all the Arizona he or she needs from watching Westerns filmed around there.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Heh, not really. I've visited the state several times, though, and recommend it - especially in the spring, with its warm, dry days and cool, beautiful star-filled nights. The Grand Canyon really has to be seen to be believed - pictures just don't do it justice.

TNP thinks Arizona has one of the most awesome state flags: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Arizona

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, that flag is pretty boss. IIRC most state flags are pretty boring, but that one looks like a beatnik on bennies and tea had an inspiration. Looks good.

TNP hasn't seen or met a beatnik survivor from the old days in probably twenty years.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If then.

TNP knows an old hippie.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah I know and have known lots of old hippies — not many naked, live on a commune, and eat cow patties while contracting various diseases, AFAIK, but people who strongly identified with the counterculture of the late 1960s and early 1970s.

TNP can somewhat identify with Kerouac's turn to cultural conservatism in his private life, as the bebop age came to an end and the hippie experiments supplanted the more serious artistic contributions of J.K.'s generation.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, kind of. I'm more conservative on some issues than my teenage sons.

TNP had some pumpkin pie today.

+ Reply to thread