+ Reply to thread
Page 150 of 204 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 160 200 ... LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,500 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. I consider myself a friend, in a Rimbaud, "I is an other" sort of way. I make up lots of rules for my own personal conduct, but I break them pretty much a lot.

TNP thinks it can be more important to know the limits of the flexibility of certain rules than to rigidly obey them at all times.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Absolutely. Some rules were just made to be broken, as it were.

TNP would rather live in a semi-benign police state than in an anarchy.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Absolutely not. A several-tiered system where certain civilians are granted rights, up to and including the odd summary execution, not available to the proles, is completely unacceptable. A military state, where so-called "peace officers" are segregated, forbidden from enjoying the freedoms of the civilian life, is probably superior — at least the military groups can probably be detected and avoided by those with sharp eyes. But "anarchy" is too broad to comment on — what is that? An anarcho-capitalist libertarian "state"? Mad Max Land? A minarchist state?

I complain. The question is too hard.

TNP thinks coherent, somewhat-novel political and economic theories are not very many, at least today.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vanishingly few, it sometimes seems. I'll stick to the tried and true - constitutional democracy, the rule of law, utilitarianism and post-industrial capitalism.

To provide real-world examples for post #7452: TNP would rather live in Singapore than Somalia.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure, who wouldn't? Nobody wants to live in Somalia: certainly virtually no Somalis.

TNP is convinced more transparency in naming the police a paramilitary force and treating them as such, including severe punishments for disobeying regulations (applied at the federal level), and severely regulating their private conduct, would go a long way to destroying the de facto domestic terrorism agency the police in the US have come to possess. ETA, yes, I think there is a reason that it is, to my understanding, largely the FBI in the US who is responsible for controlling self-styled militia police companies, and, yes, I think policing within one's borders is an appropriate task for the federal government. Not Carroll O'Connor wearing a size 60 suit and wielding a baton, or some little kids playing army with military equipment, as in some "swat" team or some boobs serving warrants without sufficient oversight. This is a concession I make to centralization of extraordinary powers within a country, and I think it's correct.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Oct 2018 at 07:07 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't know what "naming the police a paramilitary force" would entail, so I'd have to say no.

TNP personally knows a cop.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Former cop, a first cousin. I guess that counts.

TNP can name something he or she regrets selling (or perhaps losing, but only things, not people).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm... no, I really can't, although I'm sure there's been something over the years.

TNP can name something he or she regrets buying.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I don't believe I've ever bought or even acquired anything that was regrettable.

TNP has thought of people who buy (in hindsight) foolish things that they are fools. For example, years ago I know someone who bought a Nissan Leaf (it's an electric car), and I think in the past year he just donated it to charity and had them haul it away. Durr. What do you think when you buy disposable technology? It's garbage in a few years, just like the best computer in the world.

TNP doesn't believe in spending much for disposable items, in general. Not toilet paper, or stuff like that. Computers? Disposable, limited life-span, with failure points at every single insertion point. Cars? Unless one's a hard-core shadetree mechanic, same. Electro-mechanical equipment, however, can generally be salvaged with some average soldering skills — many music instruments and recording equipment, for example.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 10 Oct 2018 at 04:48 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mostly true, with one exception - I love Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens, although they're a bit pricey.

TNP owns and frequently uses a fountain pen.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I hold my pen/pencil in one of those hybrid tripod manners which makes fancy lettering improbable.

TNP thinks his or her handwriting is exceptional, in its regularity, precision, and speed of writing, but would characterize it as angular, rather than rounded or otherwise filagreed.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, my handwriting is pretty average, although it's more legible than most.

TNP knows what movie the phrase "ice-devouring sex tornado" is from.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Haven't got a clue. Deadpool?

ETA legible? I didn't think that was a thing in handwriting. Well, I can read and write legibly, it's just some people disagree, and are therefore wrong.

TNP has had to work/think/try pretty hard at least once to pitch woo to a lady (successfully!).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 12 Oct 2018 at 01:57 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Been awhile since I was out on the dating scene, but yes.

(Not Deadpool, but Blades of Glory: )

TNP has big weekend plans.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Do some laundry, wash some dishes, maybe vacuum up some spilled diatomaceous earth, drink modest amounts of beer instead of liters of wine. That's about all the excitement I can handle.

TNP thinks nerds should be timid and thoughtful, rather than arrogant and loud. Because of Ape Law, or something.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes. Most nerds are timid and thoughtful, but the arrogant and loud ones can be particularly bothersome IME.

TNP will tell us the first three tenets of Ape Law.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really: Ape Law is written in a very obscure set of scratchings and rubbings on various trees. A planet where apes evolved from men, indeed. Preposterous. Maybe even a madhouse. Yes, a madhouse.

TNP is extremely disappointed when he or she loses data, regardless of the form or value of the data.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, it can be really aggravating.

TNP owns at least three computers.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. At least five, not counting "mobile devices," but they're in various states of crappiness.

TNP doesn't think the term "toxic masculinity" is useful or fit for use in thoughtful analyses.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I can't say I've ever used it myself, but I can see when it might be useful.

TNP has never heard the term "toxic femininity" used.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not seriously. No reputable sociologist with a traditional education uses terms like those, IME, unless they're trying to write pop-sociology for the groundlings.

TNP thinks "Fix it, or I'll have you fixed" is a fine thing to write when opening a support "ticket" asking for a correction to be made to one's timesheet, because the phrase is just fine.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 Oct 2018 at 05:05 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A bit too aggressive for me, so no.

TNP has seen the terrific wine documentary Somm: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2204371/

Registered
    Feb 2009

No. So much to watch, so little time.

TNP has both Amazon Prime Video and Netflix.

Registered
    Sep 2009

True, although we use Netflix a good bit more (and just saw Somm on it last night - worth a look!).

TNP reads more books than he or she watches TV.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I guess. I read more music scores than books now (easier to fold up into a jeans pocket), but those are the same, I guess, medium. Time spent on TV, including movies? Probably more, but I pay less attention to them.

TNP is a bit of a new-tech luddite (ETA meaning, not so much into "voice assistance," "apps for everything," and all that).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 15 Oct 2018 at 09:30 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

True. As my grandfather was fond of saying, "Be not the first by whom the new is tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside."

TNP likes that saying.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, that's a good piece of advice.

TNP will select (a) rage or (b) disappointment when he or she doesn't get enough sleep.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never rage; not really disappointment, either, but definitely not rage. More like... wistfulness.

TNP can remember the last time he or she was wistful.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. In my twenties when I was figuring out how memory worked as an experience. Since then, no.

TNP would like to own a powerful car which, while safe, even death proof, could punish with mutilation, or severe property damage, those who do not take their hobby as automobile owners and drivers seriously. E-braking someone so hard that the ABS causes your car to fishtail and burn rubber is not that great. Although, watchers of the Lynch movie The Lost Highway will recall that it takes six fucking car lengths to stop a car at thirty-five mph. And that offenders should get a drivers' manual, and they should study that motherfucker.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 16 Oct 2018 at 05:54 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Uh... yes?

TNP would own a Bentley if he or she had the money for it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative. Not powerful enough. Too nouveau riche. Too English. The only luxury car I would make an exception for is the out-of-production Mercedes Robert Loggia drove in Lost Highway. Or the truck terrorizing Dennis Weaver in Duel. For 12-cylinder, I like the old BMW 750il: Bavaria is one of the good German states.

But, of course, the ideal is a clone of the white Challenger in Vanishing Point. Or maybe the Charger Kurt Russell drove in Death Proof.

TNP has shopped for wrist or elbow or other "support garments" recently.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 17 Oct 2018 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Correction to Bentley horsepower.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nope. No need for 'em.

TNP owns at least three pairs of sneakers.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I keep my shoes to a minimum, especially since I prefer ones with built-in plantar fasciitis protection.

TNP has plantar fasciitis.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but I hurt one's feeling's once.

TNP has more than five medical ailments that have latinate names.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fortunately not.

TNP takes a small aspirin every other day.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. More like four or five generic ibuprofen quod diem. I should be more concerned about possible benefits to using aspirin on occasion, since I'm not a perfect specimen of health, at least for variety or to compare analgesic effects.

TNP is convinced that hard labor can mitigate a lot of sins when it comes to potables and comestibles.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Or when it comes to anything else.

TNP likes Bojack Horseman

Registered
    Jul 2013

Never heard of it.

TNP likes David Suchet's Poirot when he substitutes an expression of mild approbation for an inward contempt.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 19 Oct 2018 at 07:36 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, he's OK, although I prefer Albert Finney's Poirot in the Seventies version of Murder on the Orient Express.

TNP has seen that movie:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative, Col. That's been on my list for quite a while, but I haven't tracked down a copy.

TNP can name another movie (or TV show) that he or she just hasn't had the follow-through to track down.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, someday I know I really ought to watch Schindler's List.

TNP has seen that movie, and would recommend it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. That's the one with "I could have saved more!" right? No, I haven't seen it all in one sitting. But I would recommend it, I suppose, for some people.

TNP dislikes revisiting Nazi-Japanese times, primarily because of how many excellent thinkers (as well as regular people) they fucked over. Better to carry on the traditions of people like Edmund Husserl or Edith Stein, than be consumed by fury.

Although, there is a certain righteousness in watching war movies set in that period. After all, The Good Guys/Gals (and the Russians!) won, so always a happy ending to those kind of movies.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 19 Oct 2018 at 08:32 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I've been interested in WWII for a long time.

TNP likes folk music.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, some more than others. But yes, in general. Colonel.

TNP thinks the best answer to what kind of rock/jazz/blues/country music one plays is "American improvised music" And if one is hip to European art music, just say: "American and legit music." IOW, it's a confusing question that should be cut off at the knees: you can't play rock music without blues and country, and you can't play jazz without all the above. (That's just my opinion, of course).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 21 Oct 2018 at 08:24 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm not that musically savvy, but that sounds about right.

TNP has seen the new Neil Armstrong movie, First Man.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, somehow just doesn't speak to me.

TNP has seen the new Halloween movie.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative. In fact, I probably won't see it. Too much other stuff to see. I do rewatch the original somewhat often, though — a modern classic!

TNP might be the last person on earth to realize that if one wears a ballcap, one doesn't need to comb or even wash/wet his or her hair. It is genius invention!

Registered
    Sep 2009

If not the last, close to it, yeah, probably.

TNP owns at least six baseball caps.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I own one. And it's real, and it's magnificent.

TNP has ever bought a hat from a real boutique haberdasher, like, say, a Hoquy beret, or other nonsense like an ascot. Pretend you were young and stupid in answering, if it helps bring out the truth.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, nothing that refined.

TNP has seen a red car today.

+ Reply to thread