+ Reply to thread
Page 139 of 204 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 149 189 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,950 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I'm familiar with it as "military time" and sometimes cops around here use it in their official reports, but I don't see or hear it used that often.

TNP has seen Casablanca in the past six months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I guess I've seen it with the Rifftrax commentary about four or five times since then. The joke that Claude Rains' character, "would just love a darling cosmo, and a peek at Carrie Bradshaw's shoe closet" never gets old.

TNP can name a movie he or she has seen over ten times, and will do so immediately.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Over ten? None, I think. I've seen each of these probably five times or so, though: Casablanca, Breaker Morant, Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. After that, there are several I've seen at most, IIRC, three times.

TNP will be seeing a movie in a theater in the coming week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I sure do love those sticky floors and cramped stadium seating and .... never mind. That's a big "No" from Uncle Jizz's POV.

TNP is kind of not that fond of St. Patrick's Feast Day -- just another day to remember an unusual historical figure.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty much. Other than wearing green I usually don't do much to mark the holiday.

Unlike St. Patrick, TNP has no particular objection to snakes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I don't care about snakes/herpetology. Whatever. I guess they're cool, sort of. Don't care.

TNP thinks it is time for fresh meat to start posting here. New meat!

Or, alternate TNP, TNP had frozen pizza for the first time in a long time, or kind of approves. Sort of a sad food, but easy to cook!

Registered
    Feb 2009

On the first yes, on the alternative, no.

TNP thinks it's too bad that boxed, long-life snack cakes are such garbage nutritionally, because they're kinda fun and tasty.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Agreed - and don't even get me started on Hostess fruit pies (the gold standard of lunchtime treats when I was a kid). Yummy, but so bad for you.

TNP has had a Hostess fruit pie in the past three months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, never crossed my mind. I thought they whole Franz Bread/Hostess corporation a few years ago had a whole restructuring. Dunno. But the answr i still "No."

TNP had kind of an annoying exchange of words with a Doctor (discipline doesn't mattter) about politics, that was irritating, recently.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No. With a college student, yes, kind of, but no doctors of any kind.

TNP knows personally someone who's earned a doctorate of any kind in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Uhhh....no, I don't think so.

TNP has some idea of what it is to see the figure 5 in gold

Registered
    Sep 2009

I do indeed! I've even seen that painting with my own eyes in New York - quite striking. I like it a lot.

TNP has print in his or her home of a favorite famous painting.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No can do. Got some good maps up of various places, including the whole goddamned world, and a couple of whiteboards not yet full of shit. Oh, bunch of thumb-tacked lists and pages of music.

TNP has said "Thank you, dear," in recent memory, to some random person IRL and it wasn't a problem.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Don't think so, but I've pretty sure I've called a waitress "Sweetheart" in the past week or so without issue.

TNP has heard way more of someone else's personal conversation recently than they were happy with.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No! I'm proud to be an eavesdropper -- especially with some tight-looking chicks picking freight near me. I want *all* the information! Damn right! Time of the month, book of the week, it's all good!

TNP is revered and worshipped, like a god, for his or her impeccable manners and inscrutable charm, among his or her comrades/

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, pretty much. Well, maybe not like a god. That might be overstating it.

TNP wants to go to LA sometime this year.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wouldn't mind, be great to see some ballgames and L.A. has a bunch of parks close together. Doubt if I can pull it off, though.

TNP plans to go to Vegas in the next 12 months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I might go in case I want my face pounded into hamburger by some gambling goons. So that's a big negative.

TNP has ever listened to any song/tune more than ten times in a row and will give an example. Genre doesn't matter. Aretha, whatever.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I don't think so. Even "Tangled up in Blue", I don't think I've done that many times straight.

TNP has listened to "Blood on the Tracks" a LOT.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. In fact, never consciously. I know what it is, but I'm just not a fan of white folk (?) music (except country, and hillbilly improvised music). My brain isn't big enough to handle all the layers of politics and poetic stuff. But good for others who can enjoy it. I will always worship "The Band" though -- well, I can't see ever not having their records somewhere in my possessions. That's about as close as I get to Dylan. Yeah, I should give it a spin, but I just have a long list of stuff to work on musically, so it has to go at the end.

TNP can explain to me why it is that, no matter where I go, including at my new picking job, older (well, middle-aged anyway, and older) African-Americans just seem to get along with me, of all the different demographics -- not like best friends, just kind of, I don't know, it's just easy, like they know what I'm saying, I know in advance what they're going to say, we don't get in each others' way.. It's really strange -- I don't go out of my way to talk to anybody, and I certainly don't talk jive, and actually make a point to never call them "man" like some old white beatnik wannabe hipster, cause I've heard people do that and it's IMHO very defective, and it'd be insulting if it wasn't so ridiculous. Just regular. I do not know what that is. And no, it's not confirmation bias, except maybe white working class kids tend to hate me, because they are threatened by my manly essence -- although I know how to talk to them and we get along as soon as they see I'm not some fancy fairy putting on airs, just a regular.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 22 Mar 2018 at 11:35 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I can't explain it, but I have a similar experience. Older black people and I usually get along just fine.

TNP would like to go swimming this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Never. (I think I got it figured out, about the before -- yeah, it's a kind of confirmation bias, but it's also just that there's a cultural element that I think, between African-Americans, at least of a certain age and economic status, rewards being just chilled out. So, it's no surprise that that's what you're going to remember. Dunno. It's definitely a thing, but I don't know anything about sociology).

TNP would like to have a nice terrestial water shower today or tomorrow. Five minutes tops.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Already had one this morning, and will certainly have one tomorrow. I average about eight minutes in the shower, though.

TNP likes this piece from V for Vendetta (esp. after 1:30 or so; also used in an early trailer for Interstellar):

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I can't comment.

TNP has demolished in a gustatory fashion about six corn dogs recently. Don't laugh -- they got vegetable, you can eat the wood sticks if you're fiber-deficient. It is a sad food, but hey, at least it's not quite as low as eating Hot Pockets. :smile:

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I haven't had corn dogs in years - I prefer plain hot dogs (ideally with melted cheese and some ketchup).

TNP thinks that sounds disgusting.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Eh, no, that sounds like food. I'd eat that.

TNP has been OUTRAGED recently by observing a woman whom he likes being all friendly with some man (and, no, of course, such a woman would not be.....never mind, just another hipster from ..... grrr....) Exterminate! Exterminate!

What?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Let's do a better TNP -- I got it figured it out, with the whole white/black think, and I'll illistrate (sp?) w a RL example. So my man James (what he is like 70? at earliest?) So we doing just basically make-work to set up fo the next shift. He's coming by me and a couple hens doing their whole inscrutable thing, same as me, setting up for next shift.

He's talking to me, of course, just saying his piece, and he says something funny, so, I say something like "Hey! You put up 'em down, I pick em up! Way we last until shift ends!"

That just means we're on the same page.

He gets the next row, he says to the lady, one of whom says "Hey it's Santa Clause!" Whatever. Him out loud, "Hey, I got that last guy (i.e., me) smiling!" Some random woman in another row, "Yeah you might be Santa Clause, but I don't want that bowl!"

Conclusion, some people just aren't hip. And I have no idea what the ethnicity of the ladies next few rows were, nor I do I care.

TNP thinks there's a pretty good value, both for a company bottom-line, and also just humanity, to knowing what to say and when. Intuition is not to be undervalued.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Absolutely.

TNP has read Malcolm Gladwell's Blink, a good pop-science exploration of intuition and the usually-right snap judgments we all make.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I'm familiar with the journalist Gladwell, but I do not have a positive opinion of his capacities, in general. Although he is a fine publicist, and I certainly have read other of his collections. Many his syntheses are amusing stories.

TNP has bought a newspaper in the past week, and read it. A real one, you know, paper, ink, all that.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, the Sunday paper just today.

TNP has been to a fundraiser for a worthy cause or candidate in the past month.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No.

TNP has a pretty skeptical attitude about fundraisers for worthy causes and candidates, and the very concept of worthy causes and candidates.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really skeptical. Suspicious, however. For a few good reasons. Even if the groups propose coherent changes I want and like (which the probability is vanishingly small). Better than a letter to the editor or a manifesto typed in a remote cabin, I guess, but, yes, I will not be having any of that.

TNP will answer the question: "War? What is it good for?" In the context of a society dominated by civilian security guards and other civilian employees of the state who have been accorded extraordinary de facto and de jure coercive powers.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Huh! Absolutely nothin'!

So... true, I guess.

TNP has at least three red pens within easy reach right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not at the moment. Usually two differently-shaded Sharpies in reddish colors at my desk, but I've rearranged them. Plus, not at my desk right now.

TNP thinks it would be sort of an OK idea to take an extra (15?) how many minutes to do a fast food (McDonald?) tomorrow AM, and that the risk of finding foul contaminants at 0400 is probably pretty small. Although not negligible.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sort of OK, sure. But I haven't been to McDonald's for breakfast in a loooong time.

TNP would prefer haggis to a Big Mac.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I've seen how Sean Connery reacted to the notion of Christophe Lambert's description of haggis in the motion picture Highlander, and I c...wait a minute, Sean Connery is like an octogenarian...I could totally kick his ass. No. I can't remember the last time I had a Big Mac, but to eat a sheep's ass stuffed with...it would require more time.

TNP has a whole list -- mental or otherwise -- of lady bartenders and prefers some to others.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I just don't get to bars that much except when I'm on vacation, and even then...

TNP has seen a bartender use their phone to look up how to make a drink. Bonus points: a famous drink, like a Manhattan.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ha! No, never have. I rarely have anything other than beer or a glass of wine. I think I've had just a single martini in the past decade.

TNP has had his or her cellphone loudly ring at an inopportune time.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. Pretty much every time it rings. Except the 1-5% I want to be alerted by an obnoxious noise instead of a groovy vibrate.

TNP spends zero time thinking about murdering a potential romantic rival (who probably isn't), but, still...it would be a real shame if something happened.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Zero time worrying about that kind of stuff. My wife and I have been together for over a quarter century, and if a dude at her Tae Kwon Do club wants to start making passes at her, that would more likely make me chuckle than move me to murder.

TNP likes Coke Zero Sugar, at least more than they thought they would.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, Old Crow Zero! I love that stuff! Oh....Coke Zero. I love that shit! Kind of expensive per gram, though. Oh....Coke Zero Sugar. Yeah, I've had that a few times -- pretty good, actually. Not too treacly, kind of a nice, clean taste. Yeah, if I had to drink a soft drink, I'd go for that.

TNP thinks that caramel coloring is kind of agitating to the stomach, however, and would prefer some other food dye, in general, in a beverage.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Doesn't bother me at all, but I'm more a root beer man than a Coke guy.

TNP prefers taking a bath to a shower.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I used to. Now I prefer neither, but since sort of gotta obliged, I like just a quick shower, scrub it all off. Just like doing the dishes -- has to be done.

TNP sort of has an irrational hatred of middle-aged men with beards. Fuckers.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Since I am one, no.

TNP has a crush on a famous actor or actress.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really. Nothing like the real thing, baby. Live and in stereo.

TNP is exasperated by some local businesses who don't apparently cater to people who are up and moving prior to 0300. How dare they!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not in the least. I'm always asleep then anyway.

TNP likes at least three eggs for breakfast, when he or she has eggs for breakfast.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I only eat 50 eggs at a time. But now that George M Kennedy and Harry Dean Stanton are no longer alive, it's not as much a regular thing.

TNP indeed loves eggs, but can admit that they can be sometimes more trouble to cook than it seems worth.

Registered
    Sep 2009

That's true. (Three scrambled with buttered whole wheat toast and jam, three links of sausage, and OJ, is my preference).

TNP has petted a cat in the past two days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I ain't had no pussy in a dog's age. Probably tomorrow @Easter, parents' cat.

TNP is convinced indoor cats cannot be trained to not try to escape into the wild.

Registered
    Sep 2009

More often than not, true.

TNP has been within 100 feet of an uncaged bear.

+ Reply to thread