+ Reply to thread
Page 130 of 204 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 140 180 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,500 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, and having read McCullough's vibrant portrait of that international episode, I (terryThomas) should have rather thought it were a swamp (/terryThomas). Nah, none of that.

TNP despises 80 to 85 percent of current popular culture.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I'm cool with most stuff.

TNP is trying not to turn into a stuffy old crank, no matter how easy it comes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Some days it takes a herculean effort, but yes, I'm trying.

TNP has used the word "herculean" in conversation in the past two months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No,if it's not part of a dismissive comment or an insult, or a summary or citation, it is not spoken.

tnp wouldnt have much of a problem renting out most of an unimportant state, like Arizona, to people like Cubans or arabs or whomever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not sure Arizonans would agree with that characterization, but sure, it's a big country, and it was built by immigrants. We've got room for just about anyone who wants to come here, work hard and abide by our laws.

TNP knows someone who moved to his or her country just in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, past decade is probably the closest I can think of.

TNP is alarmed by the thought of impairing one's short-term and working memory, and thinks it is prudent to carefully monitor one's repertoire of stimulating activities so that the damage may be minimized.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Haven't been overstimulated in years, so no.

TNP looks forward to being overstimulated at least once this weekend.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, I wish.

TNP stands a good chance of being at the office this weekend.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fortunately not.

TNP has been swimming in the past week.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

No. Too cold for that now.

TNP has offended someone innocently this (past) week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Innocently? I don't know about that. I think someone might have taken it the wrong way when I said I'd read the latest chapter of his memoir when I said I'd read it after watching this week's *Twin Peaks*.

TNP is pretty much a total stud when it comes to figuring out how to use modern telephones.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Eh, not so much. I do OK but I'm not a gadget geek by any means.

TNP hasn't seen any of the new series of Twin Peaks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative, I'm up to date. Very occasionally some amusing dialogue. I can't imagine anyone enjoying it very much though, Lynchite or not. Good motivation for people who are conscious of getting older to aspire to look as youthful as Kyle Maclachlan does in early senescence. And also to reappraise the appeal of post-menopausal women on seeing Naomi Watts.

TNP has a project he or she is waiting to be done so as to manilla-up a bunch of papers and clear various notes and whiteboard scrawls from his or her office or workspace.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I doubt my son or daughter is that stupid.

TNP is waiting for The Jizzle to get himself an avatar.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Only for four years now, Man.

TNP saw and enjoyed Interstellar.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Is that a movie?

TNP has/is considering deleted/deleting their Facebook.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah. I kind of like it. I like saying a bunch of crazy shit on my own timeline and keeping in touch with people from far away lands (pace Schumann's piece in *Kinderszenen*)

TNP eats beans at least a few times a week, and likes it just fine.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ETA

but never NEVER, unless you're some kind of hippie, accept "friend" requests from people you knew in, like, grade school or high school -- they're not ready, and anyway, fuck them. 99.94% of "friend" requests are from casual acquaintance, old people, and retardeds. Much easier to ignore the request than second-guess yourself wondering what the hell their program is.

And that's a fact, jack.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    ...TNP saw and enjoyed Interstellar.
    Quote Originally posted by Trojan Man View post
    Is that a movie?....
    Yes. Yes, it is:

TNP wants to see the movie now (again, or for the first time).

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Never again. I have an imaginary rubber band around my wrist to remind me of that.

TNP knew more than one person who had "bracelets" of rubber band(s) around their wrists, as part of their daily (I guess) regimen, and has/had no idea what that was about, but, optional subquestion, can speculate why. not crackheads either -- in my case, an elder legendarystatesman of jazz piano in NYC and an aquisition librarian in one of NYC's largest libraries.

Registered
    Mar 2010

...TNP saw and enjoyed Interstellar.
    Quote Originally posted by Trojan Man View post
    Is that a movie?....
    Yes. Yes, it is:

TNP wants to see the movie now (again, or for the first time).
    That being the case, I have neither seen nor enjoyed that particular movie.

I might see if the library has it on DVD.

TNP is concerned for the future of America.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very much so. Donald Trump is both the oldest and the most immature President we have ever had.

TNP is an American who looks forward to voting next year, and in 2020.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't think "looking forward" really fits, so that's a "no." Will vote, am citizen, etc., but just another parade of ass-clowns and little kids yammering on their TV phones. Maybe some sidewalk preacher long-haired hippie types will do something that makes me laugh, but that would be the best case. If that f****** f***** Pence runs I'll shit myself -- that walking turd piece of shit is scum, as is everyone who agrees with any thing he believes in.

TNP usually has the vibrate/ring feature OFF on cell phones at home, because it's fucking annoying as shit.

Registered
    Sep 2009

False. I always have it on vibrate-only, so I don't have to remember to mute it when I'm in a meeting or a concert or whatever.

TNP has been to a live concert in the past week.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Aug 2017 at 10:33 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I haven't. Frankly, I'm not very interested in what other people do or say unless it concerns me or something I'm doing, or is interesting in se, and I can't get anything from a performance I can't get from....what's that line from that movie with Rock and Gene Tierney, something, whatever. I can't resist commenting, jesus h fucking christ, you do know that vibrate on most any phone since 2009 is loud as shit, right? maybe it's just me, but I hate it. The visual cues are just fine for me, and if I'm at home, I'm either at my desk, in which case I'll see the phone light up, or doing a 5-minute micro-session at the keyboard, or at the toilet, or doing something in the kitchen, or sleeping, in all cases I wouldn't hear the phone anyway. I guess the summary is that I think my system is amazing, and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong.

TNP thinks people who think "city people" in various big cities are rude aren't really grasping the basic truth that city and country is a pretty basic divide, however colored by material conditions, pace Raymond Williams. ETA Yes, I know I'm using pace contrary to its sense, however, I like it that way, and also, fuck you, hippies.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 02 Aug 2017 at 02:41 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Jane Wyman. And it was a Douglas Sirk movie, not the other one, and, no, I still can't remember the title.

As you were, or if you want a bonus TNP, TNP's memory is excellent, but getting poorer by the day.

Registered
    Feb 2009

True, no matter which one I am answering.

TNP thinks hard-boiled eggs make an excellent snack.

Registered
    Feb 2009

True, no matter which one I am answering.

TNP thinks hard-boiled eggs make an excellent snack.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    ...I can't resist commenting, jesus h fucking christ, you do know that vibrate on most any phone since 2009 is loud as shit, right? maybe it's just me, but I hate it....
    Mine is very quiet. I've never yet had anyone shoot me any dirty looks, even at concerts.

I like hard-boiled eggs OK, but haven't ever had them as a snack.

I like hard-boiled eggs OK, but haven't ever had them as a snack.

TNP is looking forward to the Blade Runner sequel.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I either didn't know or forgot there was going to be one. Sure, I'll probably see it, but as seems to be a trend, "looking forward" is maybe not quite the way I'd describe it. I am curious to know how they're going to figure something out that's cool.

Oh, I'm sure your phone is fine, EH --other people's phones and overhearing them, in general, I don't care about, and am occasionally amused by. I just can't stand sitting at my desk doing something and being jolted by some jackass texting me or whatever, when I can perfectly well just glance at the phone and notice it.

TNP, against popular opinion thinks ex-pope Benedict XVI was, and maybe still is, a pretty cool old dude. Music lover, literate, dogmatic, somewhat intolerant, curt. Say what you will about Europe, but they know how to grow them to a ripe old age out there.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I either didn't know or forgot there was going to be one. Sure, I'll probably see it, but as seems to be a trend, "looking forward" is maybe not quite the way I'd describe it. I am curious to know how they're going to figure something out that's cool.

Oh, I'm sure your phone is fine, EH --other people's phones and overhearing them, in general, I don't care about, and am occasionally amused by. I just can't stand sitting at my desk doing something and being jolted by some jackass texting me or whatever, when I can perfectly well just glance at the phone and notice it.

TNP, against popular opinion thinks ex-pope Benedict XVI was, and maybe still is, a pretty cool old dude. Music lover, literate, dogmatic, somewhat intolerant, curt. Say what you will about Europe, but they know how to grow them to a ripe old age out there.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Yeah he's ok.

TNP is wondering about Jizzboy's obsession with hippies. Like he wants to put flowers in his hair and wash with goat fat or something.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Only every day.

TNP greatly prefers Pope Francis to his predecessor.

Registered
    Jul 2013

From as close to a neutral perspective as one might get, which is probably not very close at all, for anyone, (trying to apply the infamous eidetic variations and reduction and various forms of frame-bracketing, which I don't believe is a technical term), sure, Francis is the more savvy and self-aware pope (especially if one considers his time spent in cathedra as representative of the church in persona, which is an odd view that I'm sure some people hold). Benedict is still more fun, or funny, looking backwards, though, damned the consequences.

TNP thinks "eclipse chasers" are kind of an odd group, probably best avoided in a dark alley after dark.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 03 Aug 2017 at 12:40 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2010

If I met eclipse chasers, I'd join thier posse whether they were cool with it or not. Eclipses are fascinating.

TNP enjoys feeding the birds (not a euphemism).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, too bad that so many reputable sources say it's bad for the birds and society, I get a kick out of it.

TNP is kind of wondering how it got to be August, what happened to July?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, too bad that so many reputable sources say it's bad for the birds and society, I get a kick out of it.

TNP is kind of wondering how it got to be August, what happened to July?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely. This summer seems to be passing even more quickly than usual.

TNP will be away from home for at least a week this month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I might go out to the coast for about a week to work on my portfolio (automated theorem prover for description logic, a parser for quantified modal logic, some toy code demonstrating shortest-path and spanning tree using the STL, a few machine learning toy programs using support vector machines, Bayesian networks, and temporal difference learning, and, ideally a larger project implementing Basic Formal Ontology using template metaprogramming. I should write some of that in Java or in Python, using some specialized libraries, but probably not -- good, fluent, impeccable use of C++, and maybe straight C using sockets.h and stuff, that's good enough, IMHO, and they can take the pointers, templates, standard template library, and the gcc compiler suite from my cold, dead hands.. My friend might be coming out again in September to spend about a week at the beach, he's always good for a laugh, a good drinking binge, and some chat about classical music and literature, and a game of chess that I'll probably win 60% of the time.

TNP is surprised to know that drinking a few gallons of unfiltered homemade wine can be rough on the stomach and other parts of the gut
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Aug 2017 at 09:11 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A few gallons? No. Depending on how long it takes you to drink that much, I can't say that surprises me.

TNP has tasted actual moonshine.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Absolutely, although only from two different home distillers. That's a rough drink, although the one my folk-rock hippie buddy made was pretty palatable. He used I think some kind of black tea extract to give it color and flavor, and called it "whiskey," which it kind of resembled. The other stuff, grappa made from wine which came from real grapes, and a home-designed still, was not only very rough, but didn't inspire confidence that it didn't include too much methanol. I should start distilling, but only if I procure one of those slick little under-the-counter commercial units my friend had, which he claimed didn't stink up his apartment. Well, the wine is fine, anyway. I never seem to get the potential alcohol to under 5%, leaving about 10% alcohol, so it's a weak wine or strong beer. Probably 25-28 units of alcohol per gallon, I guess, roughly.....wait a minute...nah, never mind, I don't want to figure it out in my head. About that.

TNP is fascinated by some of the fMRI research that suggests some relationships between food composition and quantities, as for example, "binge drinking," and neural adaptations in certain parts of the brain. Not that important an area of cognitive research, perhaps, but still interesting.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hadn't heard about that before, but yes, it sounds interesting!

TNP thinks some people will live to age 150 within his or her lifetime.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No chance. Brain rot is the limiting factor, in my not-very-knowledgable opinion. It is extremely unlikely to me that neuroscience will progress much in the next forty years (or in my case, likely substantially less), and the blame is to be put squarely on the close relationship between the faithful researchers (their faith is rightfully placed in the useful, but imperfect tools like PET and fMRI, which are epoch-making tools, but only as good as the people who use them, who appear to not always recognize the variety of scales at which the results need to be interpreted and hypotheses tested) and, culturally, in assneck computards who think that their primitive neural network models are "just like" the crude statistical models one can build in a software world. And I say this as a hard-nosed true-believing materialist-scientific formal ontologist, not one of those fairies talking about speculative idealism.

Or if it were possible, through careful environmental controls, systematic replacement of tissue with synthetic or otherwise-engineered parts, and probably super-vitamins or whatever, I doubt the resulting specimens would be identifiable as humans, even to themselves.

And, yes, Bones is the best Star Trek character.

TNP thinks it is inconceivable that an evening news item about anything related to commercial technology is anything but an embarrassment, in the forms of a paean to crude, anti-intellectuals like GoogleMacMusk, or odes to chamber-of-commerce-planted news about Our Cities of Tomorrow, Where Industry and Family Join Hands.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, most of them do tend to fall into that trap.

TNP has had a significant power outage in the past three months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I would never create a power outage, namely because I am incompetent and uninterested. ETA, jesus h mcgillicutty christ, reading above, WTF kind of person takes two gallons of 10+% alcohol and chugs it? No, I mean over a day or two. Not even that guy with the "Stress Kills" T-shirt from *Revenge of the Nerds* does a beer bong like that. It might, like, attract hippies or something.

TNP is pretty excited about the future of certain industries, which he or she will outline in detail. For example, up-and-coming network "engineers" have a good, lens-grinders view of grunt-level automation, as well as the side-line opportunities to expand the application of formal ontologies beyond the biomedical field.

Well, respond to that if you want to, but it's a little straight for me. Optional TNP: TNP thinks there should be a size less than '0' for size=0 stuff. More granularity.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 06 Aug 2017 at 05:28 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure. Lots of small or small-ish people who would benefit by a more standardized sizing method.

TNP has heard a dog bark nearby in the past hour.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. WC Fields would not have approved, nor do I. Fucking white people. Idiots.

TNP thinks designing websites, using github or Wordpress, or whatever, is a ridiculous waste of time, and should be done only by expending the least amount of time and effort. Unless you're some kind of freak who enjoys writing stupid markup or markdown crap.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Don't know enough to say, so false, I guess.

TNP will go swimming today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

When Hell freezes over.

TNP loves pool, but is slightly distrustful of billiards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm not sure I could even explain the differences between them, so... no.

TNP has been on a university or college campus in the past month.

+ Reply to thread