+ Reply to thread
Page 127 of 204 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 137 177 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,350 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    ...TNP can think of a reason, besides increasing the total amount due, a company who bought a small debt from a CC company, would initiate a civil proceeding against someone whom they're sure will fail to appear as well as fail to satisfy the debt, ever....
    Nope, you got me there.

TNP has been on a college campus in the past three months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, as in a few days ago. Don't ask me how the figure out how to rent agreement for the spaces, because i don't know, but yeah. ETA, I'm not sure what I was talking about. Really, I'm not sure. Hmm...well, it's a good thing we're not litigating for damages, apparently, b/c I have no clue what I'm talking about!

TNP is very happy, in general, to ignore things that don't create an impact on him or her -- speaking politically, morally, civilly, and so forth. While at the same time he or she is not prepared to have an opinion about if it shoould be moral correct, nonetheless, he or she is more or less happy about his or her decision pertinent to the preceding sentence.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 23 Apr 2017 at 10:27 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, since there are only rules of civility here, I just looked earlier post, and noticed ""party in a civil case could do worse than to say, "Your honor, the defendant chooses as his or her own counsel to represent himself or herself, and if it is appropriate to the court, to make a brief statement, if it is appropriate. [...] The defense does not contest the claims of the plaintiff, and appears before the court from respect. If it may please the court, the defense wishes to stand mute, and defers to the judgment of the court.""

Meh, TNP thinks that seems like a pretty correct course of action.

Then again, I think wearing jockey shorts in a hot springs is inferior to going "GermanEnglish nudist," I suppose, and apparently some maniacs have differing ideas about political dissent the world over, and particular in urban France -- I wouldn't know.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I suggest you just do one TNP at a time, Jizz. I'll take the first one you posted. Yes, I am generally happy to ignore things that don't have a direct impact on me... but I also have opinions about, and sometimes donate time or money to change or improve, other things even if they don't directly affect me.

TNP has read something by Rudyard Kipling in the past week.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, not that recently.

TNP is fond of Zane Grey.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never read anything by him - I remember he was one of Ike's favorite authors, though.

TNP has been to Zanesville, Ohio.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, never heard of it. Sounds like buggywhip country to me, but I could be wrong.

TNP likes Ike.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mostly. He picked Nixon as VP, should've done more on civil rights and focused U.S. military policy too much on nuclear weapons, but he did preside over peace and prosperity.

TNP suspects the most explosive Nixon White House tapes still have not been heard publicly.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I do not suspect that actively, but it would be surprising if it were not true.

TNP doesn't really give a shit about what some turd politician says or thinks, but only in what is correct.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Turd politicians? No. Elected officials whom I like and agree with? Yes.

TNP votes in virtually every election he or she is entitled to.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes.

TNP favors the Black Panther group, despite the iniquities of some of their rank years ago, to another, softer group, which he or she will name, if applicable.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It'd have to be a lot softer for me to favor it. Perhaps I'd rename it... the Reformed Black Panther Nonviolent Social Club, Clam Chowder and Marching Society.

TNP hates clam chowder (New England or Manhattan).

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I enjoy a good old fashioned clam chowder. Good old fashioned New England style -- heavy on the clams and potatoes, no tomato. In fact, that could be part of a rudimentary paste -- put the lot of it in a bucket and it's got all the food groups.

TNP has not seen a Monty Python sketch or movie in at least a few years.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I probably see some Monty Python bit or another at least every other week or so. I'm a big fan.

TNP has an all-time favorite MPFC sketch.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I guess, sure. Probably been fifteen years since I've seen it, but I like the little "wafer vignette" from *The Meaning of Life*, and refer to it often in private life.

TNP really fucking despises Emmanuel Macron, and not just because he has a ridiculous name, but is still glad that little theater spectacle is over, and that the French did not go completely idiotic for one day. Idiots.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I don't despise him. From what little I know of him, I actually think he has the potential to be a good leader of France. And he was definitely better than the alternative in the second round of voting.

TNP thinks the name "Macron" sounds like some kind of comic book supervillain. Or maybe a synthetic fabric.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, more like a cookie.

TNP likes macarons.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, although I prefer macaroons.

TNP hopes to visit France this year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Probably not -- a little too hot politically for me to be at ease making the rounds at the neighborhood cafés with my American accent (it's not terrible, but it's still noticeable, especially since I don't speak French for a long time in conversation), not that it was especially fun after 9/11, and the one friend I'm regularly in touch with personally is a little....she's better for me to correspond with frequently in writing, sometimes daily, than have a real desire to see in person again. And, I don't know how the euro currency works, but I suspect to get soaked on things that used to be dirt cheap in Paris, like low-end hotels in the non-tourist areas, and maybe even comestibles and potables. And I think I still owe one of the French banks a bit of money, so they might not even let me in. And it's a PITA to fly there from the west coast of the United States for anything but a longer trip, IMHO. And I cant think of anything or anyplace special I'd like to see or do. Maybe if there was some important conference that someone mistakenly invited me to, I'd go and have fun.

TNP is pleased to have got a haircut a little bit ago by a nice young lady.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, but I'll be getting one on Sat. from a nice older lady!

TNP knows someone who, like the late Calif. Gov. Pete Wilson, shaves at least three times a day.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, that seems a little extreme.

TNP knows someone who should shave at least three times a day.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, my friend George has a very heavy beard. Looks good on him, though.

TNP personally knows at least three Georges.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, I have personally known three people named George in my life. Not more than that, but three, I'm sure. I may have met some guys named Georges, however, but I am both good with and also very forgetful of names at the same time. That is an ambiguous TNP. For shame. For bloody shame.

TNP can describe his or her politico-economic views in a snappy catchphrase, like "social conservative, fiscal liberal," and will do so in the next post.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Center-left Democrat and implacable foe of Donald Trump.

TNP suspects Donald Trump will be out of office, one way or the other, by the end of this year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not in the least. This is the highway to hell, and there isn't anybody who knows anything about anything, much less how to manage the mass psychology of Americans.

TNP would not hesitate to point to Bob Gibson or Mike Tyson as role models in sports to children -- because the correct spirit in the ring or at the mound is to kill at all costs the opponent, by blind, savage destruction and concentrated fury powered by impeccable technique. (That's also the reason children shouldn't play sports -- the attitude required is for adults only).

Registered
    Sep 2009

No. That's not my attitude towards sports.

TNP wouldn't mind having a beer or three with Mike Tyson sometime.

Registered
    Jul 2013

.................thinking...............Yes, I would very much enjoying drinking with Iron Mike. I don't know if he drinks (somewhat doubt it) and I might be somewhat cautious of a drunken Mike Tyson, but I would hang on his every word, hoping for more chestnuts like "everybody's a tough guy until they get hit in the face" (or similar), and trying to come up with my own lines of bullshit about life and women and stuff. That's what I would call a good time. Hell, I would INSIST that he drink too, because I'd really like to do some light-hearted sparring, just for fun, and get some pointers -- see Mike get stupid, hang loose. Although I'm not sure he'd be able to pull his punches, literally (metaphorically).

TNP thinks it would be pretty funny to secretly change various alarms of non-grass-smoking people to 04:20.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not sure. Does that time have some particular significance?

TNP usually forgets to reset clocks for Daylight Savings Time.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I usually don't know it is DST in the first place, unless it's marked on the calendar, what with finding radio and television to be by and for cornholers and feebs. If I know about it, I have never failed to set clocks correctly, because why wouldn't you? Just get up and change the damned clocks. And do your pushups, brush your teeth, play or sing a scale at 120bpm, and say the Nicene Creed. And then do the remaining clocks you forgot about. And yes, supposedly 4:20 was something like a police code for zomg kids be smoking reefer, so it's like a slang or something. You'd be surprised at the stupid little bits of "urban/country hippy" lore that gets handed down by tradition, just because, I don't know, kids are bored and guillible. Yeah, well, I still personally believe that George Clinton might well have told Eddie Hazel to "play like your momma just died" before the solo on "Maggotbrain." There are a ton of them, for some reason, drug lore and music lore have a large intersection.

TNP did not know that you can put regular old black tea (or other kinds, I guess) in a pipe and smoke it, and it apparently doesn't kill you right away (although the very fine powder in the tea bags is a pain to light and clogs the pipe).

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I didn't know that. How did it taste/smell?

TNP knows at least five pipe-smokers.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I knew two people in school who were pipe weens, with the whole "rotate pipes, use a pipe stand," and so forth but the one I still know smokes cigs, last I saw him -- I don't really know anyone else or haven't known anyone else who smoked a pipe. Supposedly my pops went through a phase in the mid-1970s, but I wouldn't know about that.

And to answer the aside question, it actually tastes pretty much like tea. I tried to get my uncle to tell me how it smelled, when I saw him last week for a few minutes playing checkers in the park, but his vocabulary wasn't very helpful to me -- I really don't know.

TNP is amused to know that in the US, like in Islam countries, public drinking is punishable, but 18-20% yeasts are freely sold, because it says something about the secretive nature of the American polis.

TNP thinks people who think checkers is the stupid version of chess are morons.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 27 May 2017 at 11:37 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, yeah. They've very different games with only a superficial similarity to each other.

TNP loves getting a pawn turned into a queen when he or she reaches an opponent's back row.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yep. That activates the reward centers all right, might even be some dopamine involved. Agreed -- checkers is like a very abstract, numerical game. It's abstract algebra, whereas chess is sort of a very applied, sort of fluffy area of math, like statistics or implementations of graph theory. Make no mistake, I love playing chess, but I've decided that it's never going to be a priority for me to spend any amount of time studying opening theory. I do like the horsies, though, and Capablanca's instruction book is a marvel of humane, beautiful writing.

TNP has recently been utterly dismayed stepping on a scale recently -- oh well, that's what you get for not being disciplined for a month.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Utterly dismayed" is a bit strong, but when I found out at my check-up a few months ago that I hadn't lost any weight in a year despite making what I thought were efforts, I did a pretty significant change to my diet.

TNP is trying to really reduce their refined carbohydrate intake.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It might not be a bad idea if I did, but no, I can't say I'm really trying to do it.

TNP likes what he or she has seen of French President Macron so far.

Registered
    Jul 2013

SIMULPOST

Funny that should have come up. Actually, no, the opposite: I've decided to start dumping champagne yeast and sugar into gallon-sized fruit juice containers and making gallons of strong wine at home. That seems about as refined a carb as there is.

TNP thinks "moist" is one of the choicest words in this miserable language.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 May 2017 at 01:06 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, I'll play: yeah, Macron seems subdued and reasonable, and he's not a flashy dresser. He really hasn't done much of anything except some gestures to Mother Russia, but I don't follow the news that closely.

TNP heard about the stabbing on a commuter train in Portland, OR (it made the Washington Post headlines Saturday, so apparently it was newsworthy) and would have been inclined to "verbally harrass" the offending idiot using foul, disgusting, offensive, racist, obscene language, in a calm voice, rather than lay hands on him.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Probably, but I like to think I would've physically intervened if violence broke out (as I have twice before in somewhat-similar situations).

TNP is a fan of Jelly Roll Morton.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Are you kidding me? I'd like to find out who ISN'T a fan of Ferd and kick their ass for sport.

TNP saw or heard some Navy or Air Force jets flying somewhere outside today, and thought it was pretty cool.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not recently, no. But yes, it is cool.

TNP would like to be a fighter pilot.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Errr....I think I might be a little aged-out of that profession. Anyway, it's too much effort, and I don't even like cars (although "I am an excellent driver" and competent DIY shadetree mechanic). Too noisy, too much BS, but the slide rule they use is cool.

TNP knows how to use a slide rule (choose any type scales you want), and thinks they're super handy, if your memory isn't so good.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never used one. Never was especially handy with a calculator, either, come to think of it....

TNP knows his or her way around an abacus.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hah, no, although used to screw around on the one at the Museum when my kid was little.

TNP has taken to thinking a little too much about retirement.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not too much, but a little, yes.

TNP thinks this is freakin' brilliant: http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs...ical-new-album

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm sorry to have to report that the hippies out in San Francisco do like Merle Haggard said they would. Negative, the pattern is full.

TNP has never noticed that the word "wormhole" is a near-homophone of "warm hole".

Registered
    Sep 2009

Huh. No, I guess I never did.

TNP would prefer to be in a warm hole to a wormhole.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Beavis and Butthead voice "He said warm hole". Anyway, yeah.

TNP is going to see Neil Diamond on his 50th anniversary tour.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, although I like some of his earlier music. My parents played his Hot August Night album quite a bit when I was a kid.

TNP hates Neil Diamond's music with the fiery intensity of a thousand suns.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but then again, the only thing I know of his, aside from some stuff inadvertently heard on elevators, is his number from the movie *The Last Waltz," which when I've been drinking and am wearing cheesy sunglasses, I almost without fail try to imitate.

TNP thinks smartphones are more PITA to use than not, although they have some limited uses.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely, especially for the calendar function: I can look up something on my old-school pocket calendar much faster than my friends can on their fancy-schmancy smartphones.

TNP already has an appointment, other than a doctor's visit or holiday travel plans, scheduled at least six months from now.

+ Reply to thread