+ Reply to thread
Page 126 of 204 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 136 176 ... LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,300 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Huh, love Bogey's style, but wouldn't dream of trying to emulate it. So, no.

TNP is sick both of the problems caused by daylight savings time and of hearing people complain about them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, I'm good.

TNP resents having to wake up again while it's still dark.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah. It's not the biggest problem I have, but every year I finally get to get up in the light, then it's yanked from me.

TNP likes scones.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, but real ones, not crappy American style scones, I want traditional Scottish scones.

TNP knows and loves cannoli.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, there are some good ones available at a family bakery in Little Italy, not far from here.

TNP tends to leave the gun and take the cannoli.

Registered
    Jul 2013

In honor of St. Joseph coming up, I'll humbly take the cannoli, but only if Connie doesn't feed it to me.

TNP often comes out of the bathroom with the fly unzipped.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ha! You know, I've been finding myself doing that more and more. Never used to do it.

TNP too often has to go back to make sure he or she has locked the car.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, when I leave a place, unless I'm drunk, it stays left secured. Double- and triple-checking is a habit for things I consider important, like not losing an umbrella or deciding if a sentence from *Paradise Regained* makes sense and I'm illiterate or if Milton went all crazy for a second.

TNP thinks Gerald Finneran is pretty awesome, and is outraged by the penalties he was assessed.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 16 Mar 2017 at 04:25 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

That's pretty awesome, but nah, he got what he deserved (see the end here): http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoi...ht-335352.html

TNP always behaves impeccably on flights.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes.

TNP would rather walk than fly with United Airlines.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have no particular objection to United. Every airline has done something crappy to someone somewhere.

TNP would have voted against Brexit, given the chance.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, because I'm not British and I enjoy spectacles of destruction. I would say that's the "inner child" talking, but that wouldn't be exactly accurate. More like "outer homo horribilis"

TNP would rather read in Chateaubriand than eat a chateaubriand cut of steak, under normal circumstances.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never read any of his stuff, but I'm hungry, so I'll take Option #2.

TNP kept a journal or diary when younger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't think so, but I did so a lot of stupid stuff when I was a teenager.

TNP finds reading old diaries to be interesting, while still not exactly understanding why Pepys, say, kept a record of his fights at the office and how constipated he was.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, now and then.

TNP was a disco fiend back in the day.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Haha god no. Nothing against disco junkies, but it's not my scene at all.

TNP used to wear bellbottoms unironically.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, but I was like, 12.

TNP has trouble distinguishing between ironic and unironic like.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, yeah. Sometimes the lines can get a bit blurred.

TNP has a pretty good singing voice.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Horrible. Maybe not the worst -- in theory I know what notes are correct, and I even doing an OK job (according to me, the unreliable witness) sight-singing a hymn in church (well, I can at least count out the rests so know when to not sing). No, my voice sounds like a braying donkey, and even my sight-singing is only approximately correct. Really I'm just far too lazy to put in the effort -- it's like doing exercises at the gym, i just don't want to. There's nothing wrong with my voice, if I stay in my range, I just don't want to put in the effort, basically because I hate to sing. It's just not my instrument -- the link between what I hear in my inner ear and what comes out through the voice is not very strong. It'd be like me trying to play the hammered dulcimer or a violin -- just not happening without some serious practice in the woodshed.

TNP thinks good singing is, however, a discipline that can be learned by pretty much anyone, barring some kind of physical or mental disability, even though it might come easier to some than others.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 22 Mar 2017 at 06:41 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

For certain values of "good," that's probably true. But most people would not be willing to put in the effort.

TNP has a never-miss-it favorite TV show.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure, I suppose. When it's on, *Rick and Morty* or *Robot Chicken*. I'm not dedicated to my favorite shows.

TNP can spot the rock and roll reference in my above statement.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Nope.

TNP is waiting for rock and roll to reinvent itself again and move away from the nu-metal nonsense and become interesting again.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not really, not unless "waiting" is like....waiting for the return of the messiah or spaceships or something. I think that particular comet has sailed a long time ago -- kids don't like it, adults don't care. BTW, that's Black Flag, man, "TV Party."

TNP is aware that people who haven't heard yet Beethoven's Missa solemnis are missing something really super.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I guess I'd say that.

TNP has read the Conan Doyle story "Silver Blaze."

Registered
    Jul 2013

Could well be as a kid, but I don't really recall.

TNP thinks Washington helping defeat England and its allies makes up for his having made his bones killing French and Indians earlier in his career.

Registered
    Sep 2009

His record was mixed both in the Revolution and the French and Indian War, but was far more good than bad, I'd say.

TNP loves to read Swedish history.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, can't say that I've gotten much into it.

TNP does think it's interesting that the Swedish Royal Family is descended from a French general and Napoleon's old girl friend.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Indeed it is! Lots of interesting stuff in European royal history.

TNP is glad to live in a republic, not a monarchy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Personally, I do live in a monarchy, so no.

TNP approves of McDonald's having an all day breakfast.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Why not? Seems to be something people have wanted for awhile.

TNP would rather live in Paris, France.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mmm....probably not. I couldn't pick up good enough French at my age.

TNP would rather live in London, England.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Than Paris? No. Than where I live now? Tough call, but... probably not, at this point in my life. I did have a semester abroad there, though, and really liked it.

TNP has lived in London for more than two weeks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I never thought it worthwhile to take the chunnel -- for me, there are or were better things on the continent. Probably even today I don't have much if any interest in visiting London. Maybe Cornwall, or do a Wordsworth tour of the hill country, or see Battersea. That's about it. They don't speak my language.

TNP suspects that there are suspicious reasons why, to his or her knowledge, the long nineteenth century of the history of France is not, as I suspect, taught very much to US high-school students.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, not in the least. We can barely teach our own country's history well or comprehensively to our kids, let alone teaching that of another country.

TNP has a favorite French king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Have a strange weak spot for Louis XIII, not sure why.

TNP likes Project Gutenberg.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very much so. The Internet at its best.

TNP spends about an hour a day on email.

Registered
    Jul 2013

God no. It's pretty rare that I remember to check my e-mail, yet I usually manage to just barely get important messages like about student loans and banking and crap just in the nick of time. Personal messages either go to my phone via text or via Facebook, so I don't worry so much about those. That's why I'm pretty scrupulous about marking important dates on my paper calendar, so I don't miss critical things by mistake.

TNP thinks hot red pepper, garlic, grains, beans, and vitamin pills are all the vegetable matter one really needs. All those belong in the rudimentary paste with which I sustain myself.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Uh... well, if it works for you, great. But I prefer to eat some other actual vegetables, too (green beans, lima beans, potatoes, carrots, lettuce, and spinach, among others).

TNP has eaten vegetable stew in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I can't actually remember the last time I had what normal people would call a vegetable. I do like their stew, though. And lima beans and spinach and carrots and all cruciforms are delicious. Too much effort, and canned lima beans are IMHO not as good as canned black/pinto/chickpeas. However, since Lenten period is over, I'm going to probably make myself sick by eating a giant, probably under-cooked pound of hamburger. Don't know why, but it seems kind of like the thing to do. I don't actually like cooking meat, since it sprays aerosolized fat all over my kitchen and makes it harder to clean up, but I feel like an American today. I've made a huge mistake. So much for my trusty paper calendar. I thought Lent ended on Holy Week/Palm Sunday vigil. Fuck it, I'm still making a burger when I get home. Hell, it's not Friday. And the last two weeks of drinking about two hundred units of alcohol has made me bloated, so it doesn't really matter.

TNP has said either "I'll be with you in a minute" (or a variation) to a stranger who interrupted him or her in a public place.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Apr 2017 at 12:54 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, not to any stranger that I can recall.

TNP hates being tickled.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I used to get tickled a lot when I was a little kid -- it was kind of the fun thing in my family when I was at an age I barely remember and got all kinds of nicknames that endure to this day among family. Since then? I don't know if anyone has ever tried -- I don't care for people touching the bottom of my feet, but since the age of reason I've just told them to knock it off. ETA that answer, I suppose, is FALSE, because apparently I enjoyed it as a kid so much that friends of the family I haven't seen in decades still bring up undignified nicknames for me at any chance they get -- guess I outgrew it PDQ. All in good fun among those concerned, including me.

TNP strongly suspects his or her wishes for after-death corpse disposal will not be respected.

going back to my original TNP, but modified not to garner responses that won't be wanted: TNP has no idea if someone being tickled actually likes it or not. Also, my revised TNP was kind of gruesome, especially on today, which is why the strikethrough, since it can be in play if desired, but I only have like one thought every hour or two, so that's it.

TNP thinks its possible to be a practicing Catholic while refusing to receive communion weekly and on days of obligation because he or she thinks he or she would be a hypocrite by the letter of canon.

TNP saw family today and had a few good, genuine laughs.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 16 Apr 2017 at 05:37 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, my wife and two of my three sons (the eldest is still away at university). A highlight of the day was playing bocce in our backyard together. Lots of laughs and good cheer.

TNP has played bocce and enjoyed it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but I've spent many hours enjoying that other people in the nearby area seemed to be enjoying themselves. I'm pretty sure some of those folks can and perhaps do play all day, from what I can see. Regular Babe Ruths of bocce.

TNP has deliberately decided at some point in his or her life to dress entirely in black for a day, for reasons other than a funeral, or a job, or to be "fashionable."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm. No, I don't think I ever have. Even for funerals I'll wear a white or blue shirt and a dark (but not black) tie.

TNP owns more than 20 neckties or scarves.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Heh. You know, even if I were at my place right now, I don't know if I could be convinced to actually count by hand. OK, from memory, three scarves, two neckties I actually like, two I don't care for, one that is nice but IMO a bit too loud (despite the dominant navy blue color from a distance), one cravat, and about a handful of novelty ties......what is that....so, negative, I'd say about fifteen, but I only wear the two most conservative neckties in public (meh, don't spill canned chili on them, it doesn't matter if some rube thinks you have no imagination), the least ratty scarf in public when weather, and I might have some odd reason to wear the cravat again. Goddammit, that reminds me I used to have a plain black silk tie but I think that got lost in a move years ago, and a tie-band, and one of my gold-plated cufflinks is missing and I think it's gone forever.

TNP thinks button-down collars are kind of a weird little idea, when you think about it, but is resigned to their presence, depending on what's closest to reach on the shirt rack or where in the laundry cycle one is. Because as all humans know, there are exactly two kinds of shirts: the kind whose buttons are all present and has no visible stains and is of an appropriate color, and the other kind. the non-wool (very important) cycle of who-gives-a-fuck laundering, which, for those who don't know, is (i) vigilantly watch for a moment when the laundry room is free across the street (ii) hastily gather about two loads in a hamper (iii) cram into washers on hot, extracleanse option selected (iv) wait (v) yank all the shirts and pants out, put them on appropriate hangers (vi) cram everything into dryers (vii) wait (viii) hang up undershirts (ix) put the hamper with handkerchiefs, shorts, socks, towels somewhere and either fold them or not

Whoops, couldn't quite shut myself up. Of course it should remain in strikethrough -- it is ape law.

So:

TNP can think of a third and final rule to the present canon law of men's clothing, which states (i) must be correct (ii) must be free of pests and visible stains, odors, or tatters.

Registered
    Sep 2009

First and foremost: never wear socks with sandals.

TNP has worn socks with sandals.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Black gold-toed socks. Because I don't care, and I don't like sandals anyway. And I think it's within the limits of correct dress, even if marginally.

TNP can think of a reason, besides increasing the total amount due, a company who bought a small debt from a CC company, would initiate a civil proceeding against someone whom they're sure will fail to appear as well as fail to satisfy the debt, ever. Just curious -- only so many hours in the day, but I occasionally like to know the reasons behind certain contemporary phenomena. I doubt I'll ever understand Anglican points of theology, so this will have to do for the moment. Mainly I just finished all over the face and tits of a difficult Cisco certification, so I am free to consider other things of mild curiosity.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 20 Apr 2017 at 08:50 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Meh, I can only think that possibly adding to plaintiff attorney fees is another motivation of such a plaintiff, in addition to restoring the post-purchase of the debt to its original amount.

Well, there are some problems with idly posing a question of practice in law and expecting an informed opinion, especially on the internet, that there are not, for example, in posing questions of theology. For some reason I can't help but get this scenario out of my head, but TNP thinks that some party in a civil case could do worse than to say, "Your honor, the defendant chooses as his or her own counsel to represent himself or herself, and if it is appropriate to the court, to make a brief statement, if it is appropriate. [...] The defense does not contest the claims of the plaintiff, and appears before the court from respect. If it may please the court, the defense wishes to stand mute, and defers to the judgment of the court."

Meh, not my area of knowledge, and I suppose like all citizens given enough time to idly think about various matters, it's of moderate interest to the homme moyen raisonnable. Just curious. Thanks to -- one of a few good things inherited from the English and some of the other countries among their islands, namely common-law -- some questions are not purely sensible in the abstract. I won't go so far as to say the man on the street respects jurisprudence as much as, say, some idea of constitutional law, but certainly if one is inclined to read letters to the editor and so forth....well, I wouldn't be able to speculate.

Anyway, the take-away is that my question is not purely abstract, since that is not a property of common-law tradition, but it's somewhat interesting, in my view -- not as a "guide to life or ein Lebenspraxis," but I'd certainly claim more interest in such ideas than theology, for example.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 23 Apr 2017 at 06:50 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And, to divert, yeah, socks with sandals are pretty stupid. I only see one use of sandals, provided one has access to shoes, namely to protect the soles of the feet from getting burned by hot sand or cut by sharp rocks.

Meh, to each his or own -- if you can cite some sandals you can walk thirty miles in without getting blisters....well, its news to me. Ventilation, I can understand -- but for that, I'd just go barefoot or stop every ten miles or so.

À chacun son goût!.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh here's my non-shut-ability. There's probably something about that in the US gov'ts publication *112 Gripes About the French*. No. If you have shoes, you would not be wearing sandals.

Unless you enjoy ceullalar mutation by solar contimaminents or have an inability to regulate the temperate of your foot.

A sandal or a chunk cut out of a discarded radial vulcanized piece of rubber tire plus some hank of rope is good, and I'd be glad for such a material if it were available and others were not.

Bah, I can't go make a general principle about why I wear shoes, socks, shirt, pants, and shorts, and when needed extraordinary tools like sun or cold-weather, cold weather gloves, scarf.

To my opinion, it is more or less settles for some thousands of years that humans figured all that out. Hell even our beloved monkey and ape friends aren't that stupid to ignore a nice moment in the shade, when the elements indicate.

+ Reply to thread