+ Reply to thread
Page 119 of 204 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 129 169 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,950 of 10175

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Feb 2009

More than sometimes.

TNP gets migraines.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very rarely, fortunately. I had a childhood friend who had blinding ones.

TNP prefers not to take medicine if it's not absolutely necessary.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Absolutely not. Benzo for sleep is a nice treat I allow myself three or four times a week, a multivitamin, a Claritin, and usually an advil qd.

TNP has been microagressed. in my case, some twink was all like "celibate fairy" to his friend as I walked by their table with my pipe in full glory blazing. I think it's excellent, and I'm proud to be a celibate fairy!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just about every day. Them's the breaks.

TNP has been in a Chinatown in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really.

TNP is happy that Delhi is, according to the WHO, no longer the world's most polluted city.

Registered
    Sep 2009

By all means. I wish everyone could breath clean air and drink clean water.

TNP took a long drive today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope, but I would qualify my support of Lincoln's eloquent exhortation to revere the laws of the UStates to suggest that Lincoln's proposal be taken seriously, but for certain crimes or torts, like tearing down the appropriate venue at 120+ mph just because. Just because I despise automobile driving and the abuses it entails practically, doesn't mean I don't think reasonable precautions should be taken while the letter of the law may be ignored. Likewise, littering on a city street -- that's a civil matter that should be handled by observers, otherwise, who gives a shit -- drinking while in church, all open-container laws (doesn't apply outside of the US and Muslim countries, so not a big deal). <a minute later>Well, OK, that was stupid examples, but future me agrees that correct behavior doesn't necessarily conform to the letter of the laws. And, yes, I am serious that driving fast as hell in a designated venue is appropriate, although probably foolish -- right place, right time for everything.

TNP thinks the laws of the Western classical world and its descendants are a devilishly good idea, and feels justice in their bones, and is proud of the heritage that bore it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, that's probably correct. I have "discovered" an unusual zeal lately, and, while I find its exercise to be inappropriate for a layman, find the cause of the excitement meritorious.

TNP has strong feelings about the Roman Catholic Church.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Most certainly. I view the RCC as a foundation of a shared culture, much in the same way that people root for a sports team. I've seen it happen many times, when a little town gets swept up into a frenzy about a team which is but a name to them. Felt the same way, several times. The difference between a pedant who would view society as some kind of voluntary contract and me is that I not only see and acknowledge the pro forma obligations, but I feel them as a part of me. It's the difference between being a bastard and knowing who your father was. In my case, I have a zeal for correct behavior that is unmatched, except by the odd serial killer, or whatever, but that zeal has to do with the world as it is seen by everyone. We call that, in the science of computing, an ontology. It's merely a collection of not only facts, but facts-of-states-of-affairs (together with temporal variations, which we'll discuss later, but are easily handled by Kripkean semantics), and, above all, and needlessly added after-the-fact, "is it true?" That one epistemic question is garbage to the scientific ontologist, for the very reason that we think qualia are important -- they're important because they're there. So, we do computer science for the very reason to sort out the errors you people make. Is there a better way? Good question: answer is maybe. How do we know? Let's see with pencil and paper. What kinds of errors? Well, let's use some of what we did before and try to do something to that. That's what's called "recursion." Have some liberal arts people like mathematicians used recursion? Let me check. Yep. All right, so now we have some tools, and can use them in the real world. That is computer science.

TNP has had a glass of champagne in recent memory.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm glad you asked. Yes, I did have a bottle of champ not too long ago. Warm, dry, and struggled through valiantly. And that's what she said.

TNP isn't that fond of hearing little children play baseball.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't mind it, as long as I'm not trying to nap.

TNP is a little bemused that Jizz has been so diligently answering his own questions.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not at all. In fact, I'm kind of pretty aware what I do, and do it for a reason.

TNP can name someone besides that pope, and the Jew novelist, and some other people who don't talk to themselves sometimes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually, I cannot. So, "that pope" I assume is the author of the Illustrissimi, Paul I IIRC (ETA John Paul I, durrrrrr), and I think the "Jew novelist" was supposed to be the author of *Herzog*. Probably lots of others: I think some people call that the Holy Ghost.

TNP has a great deal of respect for some of the sects of Christianity, like the Shakers, the Methodists, and all sorts of Protestant new-comers. TNP really does admire their zeal, and expresses the sincere founding notion that the new covenant is big enough to cover all of us.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 May 2016 at 05:25 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, sure I do. I said it, and I agree with it. Something something Hemingway something something whatever.

TNP experiences a damp, moist environment, which is alarmingly brisk. you fucking jackasses, I'm not talking about what it is at my place, just talking about the weather, you shut up, you fucking assTNP doesn't think there is one thing wrong in the world that can't be addressed by a firm stance and a strong appeal to reason.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 May 2016 at 05:48 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, there is. I didn't think so at the time, but tales of hatred and revenge -- nope. These are all problems that *can* and *are/have been* "addressed" by reason. So, no, there aren't. Everything under the sun is absolutely covered by good old-fashioned humanist, Enlightenment principles. I can't think of a single conceptual problem that has been addressed by a knowledge-oriented philosopher that doesn't have either a reasonable solution or equally reasonable alternatives.

TNP is giving serious thought to consuming less of something recently. In my case, tobacco use is maladaptive when used to excess, but roll your own, TNP.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I could stand to eat less.

TNP will be traveling this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't travel. It's very wearying.

TNP has strong thoughts about Edward Snowden, and will share them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes. He did the right thing in revealing illegal surveillance operations, but he did the wrong thing in fleeing to Russia, a country which is quite hostile to the U.S. right now. He should've remained here, showed the courage of his convictions, and submitted to prosecution in keeping with the tenets of civil disobedience.

TNP disagrees with that.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I kind of disagree with that. I would have fled, too, but then again I'm just as much as an arrogant little half-witted prick as he is, so that's no good barometer. Should he have "faced the music"? Yes, but I think that's asking way too much of anybody, let alone a nerd. It would have been a very good thing, supposing he made it to a public trial, but I don't think that's what would have happened at all. He made, IMHO, the correct decision at the time.

TNP knows two people IRL who have eaten bear meat, in addition to any internet people.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not to my knowledge, no. But if given the chance to eat bear meat, I would. I'll try just about anything once.

TNP knows a good recipe for bear meat.

Registered
    Jul 2013

A family friend's wife's father shot a year-old bear around Thanksgiving a long time ago, and describes bear as "like sweet lean beef...with heavy fat lining the meat." Recommends cooking at high temperature, because supposedly bears can carry trichinosis, but I wouldn't know if that's true or not.

TNP is only mildly irritable today.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have days like that, to be sure, but today I'm in a good mood. A beautiful spring day and all's well here.

TNP has read something about JFK in the last week.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Don't think so, no.

TNP has read something about Marilyn Monroe in the last week.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Don't think so.

TNP often listens to songs on YouTube.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Occasionally. Very handy if I'm looking for something, and sometimes find something new there as well.

TNP has never once considered cold-blooded first-degree, aggravated murder.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, I've done that many times. It a good thing there are police.

TNP has a knot in their shoulder.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, my shoulders are fine. My lower back hurts now and then, though.

TNP probably ought to do some dusting.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Just noticed this yesterday, actually. Some paper on top of a bookshelf -- only six years or so old -- was covered in a thin film of grainy dust.

TNP isn't dusting jack shit.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I flush shit; I don't dust it.

TNP will be going out to see a new movie this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I suffered through some early-2000s movies recently and don't want to see anything, much less in a cineplex.

TNP thinks Ted Bundy is cooler than some elected officials in the United States.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not even the worst of them, no.

TNP went swimming this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, Ted Bundy was cooler than Hitler. At least TB was pretty good at what he did, whereas Hitler was kind of a nerd. No, no swimming -- I'm not too stupid to swim, and also water is too wet. I'm starting to think you're the only person on this board who has a thing for making like the fish and swimming.

TNP doesn't eat a very varied diet.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not as varied as it probably ought to be, but no deficiencies that my doctor has ever tut-tutted.

TNP has at least three favorite Genesis songs.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That's a tough one. I think of them more as albums, so I don't really know. There's the one with the keyboard doing this, and the one where it does that, and one of the ones they let Phil Collins sing on.

TNP's memory ain't what it used to be.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hell, no - I remember those songs, too!

TNP can hear a dog snoring right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

It's 8:33 in the AM and am enjoying a 59 degrees clear day from inside the Commodore Lounge, and there's no dog in sight.

TNP had a distressing evening last night (or recently), for the choice of low company.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No. Could've done with more sleep, though.

TNP is going to bed early tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, probably. I've been staying up over the past few weeks, probably out of a combination of "don't give a shit" and some kind of depressive episode. I need my sleep, and I like to wake up early, and I'm also fairly tired. So, yep. Finish cold-brewing the second-pass of my Filtron load, and hit the ground running tomorrow.

TNP is very displeased with a member of his or her family right now -- not because of any maldeeds, just he or she doesn't quite dig hanging around morons.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A few months back, I was pissed at one of my sisters, but all's well now.

TNP prefers Ray Charles's version of "Georgia" to all others.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm, don't know that I like it sufficiently more than, say, Willie Nelson's to say that.

TNP likes listening to the standards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sometimes, but not all that often.

TNP has at least three phones in his or her abode.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, at least, not sure how many.

TNP has at least three credit cards

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ha. I am unaware of any such operation, nor would I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in fact exist.

TNP is allergic to wearing socks/shoes once the temperature is above sixty farenheit, or so.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes. I'm barefoot right now, as it happens, and often kick off my shoes when I'm alone in my office during the workweek.

TNP usually wears a coat and tie Mondays through Fridays.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I'm not a real pro. I have nothing against ties, just that I tend to leave them tied in a half-windsor hanging in my closet, like a lazy man. Even just wearing a sportcoat seems a bit much, even though it beats wearing a fanny pack/bum bag to carry pipe+tobacco+phone+lighter+notebook+pencil+pens+po stits+regular glasses. I've always favored a sportcoat, maybe if only I haven't found one of those Safari coats Hannibal on the A-Team used to wear.

TNP had mild-but-distressing food poisoning (I'm assuming) not too long ago.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's true. Had some street food that turned out to be less than healthy for me - who knew?!? But I lived.

TNP has been so ill he or she almost wished to be dead.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. No never had it that bad.

TNP is really pleased with himself/herself with having regular bathroom habits, in general.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Eh. It's just the body I've got and the habits I've developed; nothing to be proud of.

TNP has seen a U.S. President in person.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, can't say I have.

TNP has seen the Queen in person.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, although I'm just one handshake removed from her.

Given a choice, TNP prefers to nod or even bow slightly rather than shake hands.

+ Reply to thread