+ Reply to thread
Page 199 of 204 FirstFirst ... 99 149 189 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,950 of 10166

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I have read my share of SK over the years (not all, but a good many, including *The D/Zone*...pretty good movie, too, IMHO).

TNP thinks UPS last-mile delivery sucks....especially when one needs something fast, like a replacement for a lost cell phone, for example. Among other logistics companies, of course!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never tried it, so I don't know.

TNP has ordered food online in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. I never do that. I did pick up some take-out a few days ago at a Chinese restaurant, but I did it the old fashioned way.

(C'mon! You've never had something delivered by UPS? I find that hard to believe!)

TNP would go to the ends of the earth to exact petty revenge on a business client who called a coworker a "fat bitch." Legal revenge, mind you, but up to any possible harm one might reasonably cause him or his "business," which sucks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I hope I'd stand up for my coworker and tell the client that that kind of conduct was unacceptable, but I'm not a petty-revenge kinda guy.

And I've had things delivered by UPS, but am unfamiliar with and haven't used their "last mile delivery" service.

TNP is wearing something red right now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, shirt as it happens, since I now longer particularly care what I wear to the office as long as the gravy stains and holes aren't too noticeable.

TNP kinda wonders what happened to September.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It did zoom by, didn't it?

TNP has special plans for Saturday night.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yep. Go to bed early and have a good night's sleep before work.

("Last mile" just means from the time it arrives at a local distribution station to when it arrives at your place....so, it's not special. Just abstracts away all of the "before" steps of logistics, e.g., overseas freight, cross-country airplane or truck delivery, etc. It's more or less what you see when you get the finished product on your porch, or whatever).

TNP thinks it's a problem worth addressing that the Ignition Interlock Devices require repeated inattentive driving stunts in order that an unimpaired driver may continue after initially starting a motor vehicle. Recognizing, as one does, that it is often impossible to find safe harbor to pull over and resubmit a "rolling" test.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 01 Oct 2022 at 05:24 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I didn't know that, but if true, yes, it's certainly a problem worth addressing.

Thanks for the explanation about "last-mile delivery."

TNP listened to classical music today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, sort of. I often "listen" to music by actively rehearsing or recalling in some detail a given piece (or section of a longer piece), which I did. Most times I'd rather read off the score to help remember a given piece of music, or just recall it in my mind, rather than listen to another performer's performance.

So, yes.

TNP doesn't think that sounds completely crazy.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I don't, although I prefer the actual audio stimulation to imagining it.

TNP patted or scratched a dog today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but I used a metal whistle yesterday to "play" some Morse code to a pack of unruly dogs from a neighboring apartment complex at a time when I normally retire to go to sleep.

TNP thinks cracking the screen on a smurphone is just fine, so long as it works. In a total bummer sort of way, if it's a new phone.

Registered
    Sep 2009

That would indeed be a bummer.

TNP is following the MLB post-season closely.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative, Colonel. I'm on to NFL now, and feel proud and good of Buffalo this season. I'm just happy Oakland is not doing good this MLB season, for reasons. Back to NFL, Buffalo could be toppled next week against the KC Chiefs, but week five's game against the Steelers did me solid. Didn't watch, but followed the scores in real time. One field goal is all Pittsburgh got? It was a massacre!

TNP has ever had a pair of socks that could control the fires of hell itself: for example, Darn Tough's lifetime guarantee quality socks. Expensive for socks, but worth it, IMO.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 10 Oct 2022 at 03:30 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've never had truly sucky socks, I guess, but neither have I had such mind-blowingly awesome socks as that. Or as Herzog has (or had).

TNP ate some cheese today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Sadly. I have a Roquefort and a Bleu d'Auvergne that are ready for eating, but I lost my appetite after a disappointing court hearing.

TNP thinks it is unacceptable that after four court appearances, consisting of one arraignment, and three hearings, each spaced about a month apart, Da Judge finally saw fit to assign me a PD, whom I shall meet in about a month. 114 days after my initial arrest. In fact, TNP thinks it is an absurd travesty straight out of Kafka.

Registered
    Sep 2009

That does seem a bit slow of the court.

TNP, being a fan of blue cheese, knew about (the extremely yummy) Maytag Blue: https://maytagdairyfarms.com/the-farm

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yep. I've eaten my way through the local QFC's blue cheese section over the past eight months or so. Sadly, I might be tired of the blues....but I can console myself with some manly pecorino or another variety. I don't find the blue cheeses have much desire to ascend from their caves: they can be finicky to handling at surface temperatures, I find. Talking about Bayley Hazen Blue, ahem....never mind about that one. An inferior domestic product. But, the Maytag is a good cheese. I would serve it to a guest without hesitation, and eat of it myself. I've served it to myself with pleasure.

With optimal handling, a good blue cheese is still glorious, though. IMHO.

TNP: traditional taxicabs, or those Über/Lyft people. Hint....it's the professional cabbies every time, but TNP must explain his or her choice and why.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've only myself ever used pro cabbies, but my sons are very comfortable with Uber and have taken me along with them on several such rides, esp. in Washington, D.C. Both will get you there, in my experience.

TNP is rooting for the Guardians over the Yankees this week.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, one hundred per cent, like any right-thinking person.

TNP is also hoping the Yankee fans will boo Judge so mercilessly tonight that he'll take his talents to another team.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, that made me laugh a bit, so, even though I haven't been following baseball this season very much at all (partly because of the long union negotiations at the beginning....I just got tired of getting blue-balled), I'll say "sure!"

TNP thinks without a doubt this NFL season, Buffalo is going, without a doubt, to the Superbowl. Sure, Sunday's game against KC was close, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Decisive win with a spectacular INT at the last possible moment.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure, why not? Although I favor either the Browns or the Stillers.

TNP could go for a beer and some nachos right about now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, it's morning and even I have my limits.

TNP thinks the breakfast burrito is a pretty good invention.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I'm going to disagree. Well, OK, I agree. It's "pretty good," sure. As good as a breakfast pizza? No, not by a damned sight. But pretty good, sure! A couple of smokes, some coffee, a handful of vitamins, and a nice breakfast burrito? Yep! Trouble is finding a good breakfast burrito, I suppose. Many contenders but few top tier champions! Eez much like ze vimmin, eh, m'sieur? Ouais! I know about which you to have been talking, sir! Very much like ze vimmin, or you know, ze girls, eh?

[The damned Steelers? WTF? Well, to each his or her own opinion, I suppose. Anyway, it's just a game! ]

TNP is prone to recidivism. Interpret how one will. In life or as a spectator.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm, no, I don't think I'd describe myself as a recidivist. I don't have enough bad and/or criminal habits to really qualify.

TNP has someone in his or her extended family who went to prison.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Almost definitely. The Irish-Catholic side.....I know of one short stint in jail, not prison, but it was a clerical error. I'm sure there were others on the distaff side, but they were pretty well behaved as a clan. At least two of my father's sisters' husbands did some time, i.e., fathers of a number of first cousins, or had some blood relations who did, but I wouldn't know the details.

TNP thinks county jail in his or her locale isn't so bad. Not Aunt-Bee-baking-a-pie good, but one can easily survive as a regular non-tweaked-out citizen. Just a place to relax under some watchful guardians while trying to not insult a bunch of tweakers.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's actually pretty bad, from all I've heard. Several prisoners have died in recent years, some by suicide. Building a newer, more humane county jail is very much in the local news right now.

TNP follows the local news pretty closely.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I try not to. Weather news is about all I can handle, and, trust me, that's plenty interesting in itself. The rest I observe for myself five or six days a week during commutes to and from work. It's bad, and I don't really need any editorial factoids about how whatever is n times better or worse than some metric or some other place.

I do follow enough local politics to have an opinion about such-and-such and have what I consider to be informed decisions when it comes time to vote.

TNP has tried at least one new (to him or her) whisky, whiskey, or other adult beverage recently.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, not too recently, although the bar where I play trivia most Tuesday nights has new IPAs available now and then.

TNP prefers a lager to an IPA.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. I spent at least a few years drinking the most dank, hops-riddledest, micro-local-mega IPAs there ever was.

I'm done with those now: there are many Irishes and Scotches I haven't tried yet, and I still enjoy some of the old stand-bys among the brown liquors, so that's where I land when doing some serious drinking at a bar. Meh, beer is beer, but whiskies are forever a delight.

TNP had a fun, informative, and pertinent conversation with a "lady lawyer" earlier today (who is *not* one's wife, ahem, Ret, ahem!), and wouldn't have had it any other way.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I did, as a matter of fact! She's a friend, is running for judge and having some problems, and I tried to encourage her and give her a bit of advice, to which she was receptive.

TNP lives in a place where judges are elected.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yep. Not often a very highly contested position, however. More than one candidate for a position is very exciting.

TNP thinks it can be a harmless strategy to appear charming, articulate, relaxed, forthcoming, direct, and respectful to, for example, one's public defender. In other words, flirt shamelessly, but with plausible deniability, even though she has a wedding ring on the appropriate finger.

It gets desired results, dammit! Namely, rapt attention and zealous defense. Harmless but effective. I consider that G-rated flirting, but perhaps a term like seriously subdued but charismatic is more appropriate.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Certainly... up to the moment she makes it clear that such a strategy is unwelcome, if she ever does.

TNP has leftover Halloween candy in the house.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, way overbought, yet again.

TNP gives out full sized chocolate bars at Halloween.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, we never have. But neither do we give out the cruelly-misnamed "fun size" tiny candy bars. Our go-to candy, as it was this year, is plain M&Ms.

TNP doesn't really care for M&Ms.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, they're OK, I guess. Haven't had one in .... I can't remember when. Don't care for the ones with peanuts inside....it's impure and unclean! The only candy-related anecdote I have is that I picked up a package of "Sea Salt Caramels" coated in milk chocolate....I'd recently given a parcel of those to my mother, knowing she doesn't care for the very dark chocolates, so I bought some for myself to see what was what. They're OK, but basically huge gobs of caramel coated with a hint of chocolate. I could see eating one, maybe, once a week? But my mother can keep those at her beach house for guests, I suppose, since I'm sure she would not like them.

TNP wishes those malted chocolate balls of goodness known as "Whoppers" would make their way into better, more regular distribution. THOSE are pretty good! Or TNP can name another somewhat scarce item of confection. And will do so.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I like Whoppers a lot. My dad used to get them and shared them with me as a special treat, so they're a sentimental favorite for me.

TNP needs to get coins for some non-nefarious purpose.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not at the moment: I use quarters for coin-op pool tables exclusively, and I have quite a pile, since one of my regular opponents takes approximately a million years to finish a single game. They live in a jacket pocket, distressing the seams all the while.

TNP will probably be visiting a public house for a refreshing cola in order to enjoy some sport in the next few days.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Indeed. My Tuesday-night pub trivia game awaits in two days.

TNP has seen snow fall in the past two days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sort of, vicariously, on seeing bits of the Vikings @Bills game this Sunday.

TNP has worn sunglasses in the past week or so.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, don't remember seeing the sun recently.

TNP is contemplating buying new winter footwear.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I think I'm all set, fortunately.

TNP is just a bit too chilly right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes! It's fricking cold and windy and I hate it!

TNP has done something even more stupid than leaving one's keys in one's front door recently.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I sent out an email I shouldn't have, and at least three people are mad at me about it, although I later retracted it and apologized. Nothing earth-shattering, nothing insulting, but I now certainly wish I hadn't sent it.

TNP has listened to some Vivaldi today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Other music, natch, but not Vivaldi.

TNP thinks EH might have a fetish for Vivaldi's music, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I like his music a lot, although I would actually give the edge to J.S. Bach and G.F. Handel, myself.

TNP knew that Handel was born German but became a British subject.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sort of....I knew he resided there for many years, although I didn't know he renounced his birth citizenship. A comparative load of German-speaking composers from Europe ended up in the British isles in that very rough time period (give or take fifty or seventy years or so). Maybe they thought it was cool or something!

TNP thinks that, in order to get certain people off their high horses, Yanquis should stop using the British slang "soccer" and adopt the French term "foot" for soccer, pronounced in the continental fashion. In order to better demonstrate the immense debt Americans (and Canadians) owe to French settlers and allies. That is, before the French were forced to make profound conciliations in the final stages of the Seventy Years' War.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm, I guess not. "Soccer" seems a useful term, in context. (And I know of the Seven Years' War and the Hundred Years' War, but not the Seventy Years' War).

TNP drank a beer in the past 24 hours.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Whoops. Seven Years' War. Maybe it just seemed longer! (I kid, small typo)

No. A couple bottles of cabernet sauvignon...plonk but serviceable. Blood alcohol now at 0.00%

TNP has at least one very accurate blood alcohol breath tester or uses it regularly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I'm afraid I wouldn't give it very much use.

TNP has already heard too many Christmas songs this season.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Tough question....l'm not sure...that includes winter-ish tunes...like "Erlkönig," I guess.

Wait a minute....I know the answer!!!!!! It is YES!!!!!!!!! Assholes. It's Advent goddammit!

TNP despises using headphones, even of decent quality, for ordinary use of movies or even music.

+ Reply to thread