+ Reply to thread
Page 188 of 204 FirstFirst ... 88 138 178 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 198 ... LastLast
Results 9,351 to 9,400 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, not at all. People-watching can be fun, in train stations, airport departure lounges, malls and elsewhere.

TNP has a favorite U.S. President. Or even a Top Five.

Registered
    Jul 2013

So many. Harding, Fillmore, Buchanan, Wilson, Hoover.....I feel like someone's missing from that group....but, no, just can't think of anyone worse. Quincy Adams? He wasn't that great, but he did have an influential father, president or not. Nope, no one worse is coming to mind. I'll just stick with those for now.

TNP has an actual answer to the same question!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Naturally! Washington, of course, then Lincoln behind him just by a (beard) hair, then TR, Truman and JFK. FDR, Obama, Cleveland, Wilson, Jackson and Clinton would be in my next tier. I'm not saying they're all the best Presidents, but they're my favorites.

TNP likes at least four of those.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. I'll take Ironside, Truman, Obama, JFK for the win. And add Ike in for the bonus. Wilson? Really? The French loved him, but I question that teetotalling sonofabitch.

TNP knew that yesterday was Mardi Gras....and today.....begins.....the penance!!!!!!

Registered
    Sep 2009

I knew about Mardi Gras but am not really into penance.

Woodrow Wilson's racism was and is unforgivable, and he was too slow in coming around to support women's suffrage, but he was a smart, honest, capable progressive and many of his policies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ne...n_and_programs) laid the groundwork for the New Deal. He also was an effective CINC during WWI and was correct about the need for the League of Nations, or something like it, even though he failed in that effort.

TNP likes Wilson a teensy bit more now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. Warmongering, abstinence-loving motherfucker. He was smart and capable, but another way to say that would be (i) shrewd and (ii) satanic. OK, fine, Germany was a problem, like it is today and always, and maybe Wilson didn't personally like those priggish teetotallers nor their crude methods. And, I like the letter "W": it's one of the fancier letters in several European and Brittanic alphabets.

TNP thinks it would be difficult for the average citizen to poison medium-sized non-human mammals while evading detection.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 18 Feb 2021 at 02:25 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, that was a bit dark. Just a ..... hobby .... interest. Not very relatable.

The real TNP: TNP brushes his or her teeth by subdividing the mouth into quadrants and brushing according to that scheme.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Used to. Since the pandemic, can’t even focus that much.

TNP has had the futility of their work brought home twice in the same day. Like, say, yesterday.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. Twice in one day I observed two of my teammates at work brought low(er) by petty retributive managerial acts. It was "like" yesterday, in that it was two weeks ago, but in a single day.

TNP likes wearing finger-tight gloves while outside, but rarely takes the effort to put them on.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I like gloves which fit well but are not finger-tight.

Wilson was many things, but he was not "warmongering." He was very reluctant to bring the US into WWI, and TR, among others, thought he was a wussy because of it. There were many American politicos of the period who were far more keen on the war than he was.

TNP owns at least four pairs of leather gloves.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I own none. They are nice, remembering back when I was a teenager, but I'm into "tactical" black made of synthetic materials. Fit the hand well, not many gaps between the tips of the fingers and the fabric.

No, I'd suggest not interpreting that too closely.

TNP has a favorite letter, between "v" and "w" in several alphabets.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I like both, but if I had to choose I'd go for V.

TNP thinks Tengwar letters are cool: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengwar

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really. I'm sure that's a defect on my own part, but I don't find something of interest to me there. (Perhaps I'm just a "wussy!" )

TNP will name one natural language that he or she abandoned learning, and, for bonus points, can say why.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I took four years of high school Spanish and always struggled with it. I don't speak it often these days, but I've retained a bit; if you parachuted me into the outskirts of Madrid, I could probably make my way to the US Embassy.

TNP has been inside an embassy.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Consulates, yes. Embassies, no, I don't recall.

TNP is somewhat troubled that it seems chocolate flavored Ex-Lax is unavailable for purchase (or at least not easy to find). Because of reasons.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As someone who read and loved Pat Conroy's novel The Lords of Discipline, in which chocolate-flavored Ex-Lax plays an absolutely crucial role, hell, yes, I'm troubled!

TNP is also a fan of the book (but, like me, not so much of the movie).

Registered
    Jul 2013

Never heard of either.

TNP doesn't have to answer for reasons of privacy, but TNP thinks Ex-Lax is a pretty good product. Right up there with Mucinex.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never used either, so I guess not.

For more on the Conroy book - highly recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Lords-Discipl...4911191&sr=1-1

TNP has been to Charleston, S.C.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. Not even close, really. I bet it's full of interesting historical artifacts, but there's no reason for me to go there.

TNP has said in the past week (IRL or even online) some things he or she regrets.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, but nothing earth-shattering, and nothing anyone shot at me for.

TNP enjoys archery.

Registered
    Jul 2013

It's OK. Great for fine control of fingers and torso, but so is piano! I'd rather go shooting with firearms, though: archery seems too dangerous. (No, I'm serious: they just seem inherently unstable and hazardous).

TNP is never again going to, or has never once, "fix" something with epoxy putty or liquid epoxies, unless absolutely necessary in a crisis.

TNP would consider owning a crossbow to be pretty awesome.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, my brother’s owned one for decades, and it’s just another weapon.

TNP has fired a fully automatic weapon.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No. I've fired black-powder weapons and semiautomatic weapons, but never fully automatic. I bet it'd be fun, though!

TNP has been to a shooting range in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. And probably not in the month that follows.

TNP had the great idea to temper a daylight saving time, observed in many Western municipalities, by advancing his or her analog clocks ahead before scheduled.

TNP has been able to watch the movie Zardoz, directed by John Boorman, and will say if the viewing was accomplished without the use of chemical aids, and if so, how.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 13 Mar 2021 at 10:45 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I know about it, but have never seen it. It's spoofed in an early episode of Rick and Morty, BTW.

TNP has heard churchbells ring today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Not for a long time.

TNP thinks it would be just as acceptable to take a despised supervisory person and flush her head in a toilet bowl a few times as to gangland-style execute her, except for having to disguise one's identity in the former case.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Uh... no. Definitely not (no matter how much you might think the DSP deserves it).

TNP has acronyms for most of the key people in his or her life, including a SO.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, none. But I like the DSP....it's now no longer just a "delivery service provider"!

TNP thinks it's more than OK to use inscrutable terms to refer to a person IRL "Hey, no Little Miss Thang here today?" And, should give example if affirmative.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If it's non-insulting and sufficiently clear to all, yes. Around the courthouse, for example, you'll sometimes hear reference to the APJ, the administrative and presiding judge.

TNP needs to change a printer's ink cartridge soon.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah. I hope not for a long while: the toner I bought last was one of those "large capacity" models. Brought to you by this evening's sponsor, HP: they don't build excitement!

TNP can think of a good handful of reasons to dislike Amazon.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, one, in particular - it has hurt small businesses in some fields.

TNP has ordered something from Amazon in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah....hangs head shamefully....in fact, a bit too much. Fact is (IMHO) that AMZN fulfillment/delivery is much, much better than FedEx/UPS/USPS. And I don't say that because I work in logistics and deal with the delivery service partners five days a week: perhaps it's that the other delivery options are much worse. They're under a very tight leash, the DSPs under AMZN, and, to a lesser extent the Flex drivers....so, I wouldn't want to be a driver, but they really don't take any guff or too many mistakes from drivers, who have absolutely no protection from the lash.

TNP is angered that he or she is starting to develop a suntan about the face. Despite taking precautions!

Registered
    Feb 2009

That would involve going outside, which I am still not doing much until the vaccine kicks in next week.

TNP bounces between optimism and pessimism about the virus.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, it's a mix. While I'm receiving the first bolus of one of the vaccines next week, I'm less than sanguine about the practical effects on transmission etc., not to mention the handful of alleged mutations.

TNP relishes toying in a firm-handed, but polite (barely) manner with HR when they make one of their regular mistakes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I was known to do so, now and then, in my previous job, yes. I'm not proud of it, but then, sometimes they were frustratingly slow and/or unresponsive.

TNP had something happen - more quickly and satisfyingly than expected - this week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Interminable HR cases opened haggling over 20 minutes of pay and such.

TNP should probably go to Harbor Freight and buy the biggest machete they sell. Just because.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nope, don't need a machete, and don't expect to buy one.

TNP could do with some Horowitz right about now:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. I didn't actually make it into the first Chopin Ballade, just because of hearing it so many times, but there's never a bad time to observe concert footage. (Edit: actually, that's an interesting read of the ballade, which I don't think I've heard on record before. So, yes, it's a very fine time for Horowitz! Not only was he a sick mofo at the mechanics, but he had some abilities as a musician/interpreter as well).

TNP changes his or her mind pretty often about what lessons there are to be learned from Chopin's compositions.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 28 Mar 2021 at 07:35 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No. I'm not that musically sophisticated; I just listen and enjoy.

TNP will share an important lesson he or she has learned from Chopin's compositions.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. The most interesting bits come from history of music: that Chopin had important precursors in, for example, the composer Hummel's virtuosic works, among others. That is, he didn't purely arrive naked and fully formed, like a Terminator from the future, with his outrageous novelties. Other points of interest largely have to do with technique at the keyboard, and are probably not as interesting to most people.

TNP is ready for the week to be over, with the exception of Apr 1 (Thursday).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, it just started!

TNP has big plans for April Fool's Day.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Eh.....I might request two days in advance an absence at the middle of the busiest part of the day, because I have an "appointment" that lasts, like 28 minutes, at some nonsensical time interval, that requires my absence, for me to sit in the car and smoke or whatever. Or, officially, "Take an important telephone call." But, everyday is Fool's Day like that.

TNP has no tolerance for surprises, for they mostly suck.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I suppose it depends on the surprise. Some suck, true, but I wouldn't say "mostly."

TNP usually plans his or her day very carefully.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Down to the minute, except at work, where everything is complete chaos.

TNP still thinks it's odd most people no longer wear wristwatches.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I think it was probably inevitable once cellphones became so ubiquitous. I used to wear a watch all the time and now I never do; I think a lot of other people have had a similar change of habit.

TNP watched all six seasons of the American remake of the British dark political satire House of Cards.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I saw the first few, three seasons or so. Just lost interest, I guess. They killed Kate Mara! Fucking bastards!

TNP can name another popular show he or she just stopped watching after some amount of emotional or intellectual investment.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I gave up on Lost after just a few episodes; I'd really wanted to like it but it just didn't grab me. Judging by the criticism of its finale, it might have been for the best.

TNP was a big fan of Lost.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I guess you could say that. I watched it to the end (no comment) and was mostly amused (except for the times I was not, like the last bits of bullshit toward the end of the show).

TNP is a little bit paranoid about doing things to possibly foul up The Vaccine, like taking a lot of ibuprofen and perhaps other things that might reduce some of the effectiveness. Although, for those who haven't had any of the doses yet: you can be assured it actually kind of hurts like a bitch (meaning, somewhat) in your arm.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I haven’t even heard any of that. I got AstraZeneca and barely felt the shot, with zero side effects.

TNP is kind of intrigued by the great vaccine competition.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I am. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The speed with which the vaccine was tested and approved is simply remarkable, given past practices (and will not, I hope, be proven foolish or even dangerous in years to come).

TNP has seen a doctor in the past week.

+ Reply to thread