+ Reply to thread
Page 185 of 185 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 181 182 183 184 185
Results 9,201 to 9,221 of 9221

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ray Charles did more than OK despite his blindness and people taking advantage of him, especially early in his career: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhJwXwXDijQ

TNP saw Jamie Foxx play Ray Charles in the biopic Ray, and thought he did more than OK too.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I thought he did OK. I'm glad if people who saw the movie were maybe introduced to the musician who wasn't just "that guy on the speakers in the bus station." Maybe not a great movie, but Foxx did great, and he had the advantage of picking a little piano himself, and no biopic movie is going to satisfy people who know every note the guy ever recorded, at least that was famous.

TNP is kind of disappointed the "ragtime revival" of the 1970s is over, since he or she would like to see a biopic of Ferd "Jelly Roll" without all that Cotton Club veneer put on it. Bonus TNP if he or she can figure out who would be a good Jelly Roll Morton as a younger man and also into the Library of Congress recordings days.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Jelly Roll Morton certainly deserves his own biopic. I love his music, even though he did exaggerate his role in the early development of jazz.

TNP thinks a little bit of "The Crave" would be fitting now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkGjDbKauVo

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I remember that tune. I'd say every time is time for a bit of "The Crave."

TNP is now using or has ever used white bedsheets, but finds them unsatisfactory except for specialized purposes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't pay much attention to them, but yes, we have some white bedsheets, and they have been satisfactory.

TNP likes sleeping on flannel sheets when it gets chilly out.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah: they're good.

TNP has noticed that gas stations delay processing credit/debit card receipts until sometime the next day or so. Bars as well, IME, tend to process them all at closing time. And can explain why. In graphic detail. Hardcore, deviant detail.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I hadn't even noticed that! Interesting.

TNP has heard about the shortage of coins for many American businesses since the pandemic hit.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Of course.

TNP is not at all moved by bartenders' claims that "cash is king," when it comes to tips. Cry me a river.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not moved, no, but I do tend to tip in cash anyway.

TNP has heard Michael Bublé sing "Cry Me A River" before with full 007-style orchestration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab6eXLDUq1w

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. That's the guy with the fancy hair, right? No. Never heard it.

TNP has observed that 1970s TV dramas "evolved" very early indeed, almost ab principio, at about 1970-1971 into a pattern of "a very special episode." Vide, The High Chaparral, Then Came Bronson, and so many more, even including "comedies" like Alias Smith and Jones. And doesn't like the formula.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, more or less. It seems to have fallen out of fashion now, except for parodies of the concept.

TNP won't be seeing a movie in an actual movie theater until there's a proven, effective COVID-19 vaccine that most people have taken.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Probably. Went to a private booking with only friends with masks a few weeks ago, and it wasn’t much fun.

TNP watches movies on Tubi.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never have.

TNP has been to Texas at least three separate times.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but I make at least one Texas in the toilet everyday.

TNP thinks he or she knows where that idiom came from, at least in print.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never heard it before!

TNP will be watching the U.S. presidential debate tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. There's no information to be gained, nor any entertainment value for me. It's not live, so there's nothing to be surprised by, or that cannot be edited within the span of a brief delay.

TNP can explain the appeal of this lurid spectacle over, say any other garish spectator sport, including watching training films and posting on the web.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I thought it was live. And yeah, some people are just political junkies, and some are fans of one candidate or the other and want to see him win big, and some are genuinely undecided (although I can hardly imagine why) and want more information in order to decide how to vote.

TNP has yawned more than twice today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Not once. I did have a nap for hours, though.

[Wasn't meaning to criticize viewers of the "debate," and the reasons you state are indeed sensible. I'm sure there's at least a broadcast delay, in case Biden flipped his wig and started cursing like a stevedore or made the jerking-off motion in response to nearly everything that other "person" "said."]

TNP has seen lots of helium-filled balloons lately, for some unknown reason, and thinks they're pretty annoying and desires to pop them with either a sewing needle or a lit cigarette.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I don't think I've seen one in a year or more. I do like popping 'em, though.

TNP prefers inhaling the helium from balloons in order to talk in a high-pitched voice.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Haven't done that since I was a kid. Nitrous oxide edges out helium in the "Inhaled from a balloon" category, though. By a fair amount, really.

TNP is almost experiencing a bit of physical discomfort as the upcoming US elections approach nearer. Maybe not as bad as nausea, fatigue, dyspepsia, incontinence, but almost.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, and I am not even American.

TNP likes sausage better than bacon.

+ Reply to thread