+ Reply to thread
Page 153 of 204 FirstFirst ... 53 103 143 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 163 203 ... LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,650 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative. I had a few bites of a very good apple cobbler.

TNP regrets not having had the chance to play Uno this Winter....change that, TNP is or has ever been upset that one's father chided him or her for performing delightful music. In my case, if I play "Jimbo's Lullaby," and if some jackass tells me to "keep it down," I fucking get in my car and leave. Stupid tone-deaf son of a bitch. I paid for your shitty dinner with two bottles of nice wine. Faggot.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Eh, I'd like to emend my previous comment and apologize for my crude language. That was not called for. Let's speak no more of that.

No, I had no pie but I had some good cobbler.

TNP regrets not having a chance to play Uno with the younglings on account of doing adult stuff, but still relishes the fun of having a spirited game when one is not otherwise occupied with playing host or such.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I love UNO, but we didn't play it with my wife's family this Thanksgiving weekend, as it happens. We did play San Juan, Bananagrams and Codenames, though.

TNP has played one of those latter three games.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Afraid not. Never even heard of them, but I'm sure they're fun.

TNP is not liking treating his or or her clients as "customers," and strongly resists the urge to ask "Do you want fries with that too?" Or put in an alternative way, is annoyed by people (usually men of a certain age) who seem to require special treatment. Because they're dickholes plunged in shit.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't have clients, but I certainly have known annoying people like that.

As to the games, I hadn't played San Juan before (a card game about building a Spanish colonial town) but found it unduly complicated and not much fun; Bananagrams (kind of like a fast-moving, free-form Scrabble) and Codenames (a team matching game using related-word hints) are both a lot of fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Juan_(card_game)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananagrams
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codenames_(board_game)

Now TNP wants to play one of those.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Codenames sounds like a good ones for the older nephews, but pretty much I'm good with Uno, the odd game of Operation, and when they get older, chess, checkers, and Bridge and Gin Rummy. Besides, there's the whole thing about me despising my father, who seems to be a necessary adjunct to such occasions.

TNP thinks he or she should wear a multi-pocketed vest pretty often. Because of the pockets. And stuff.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Codenames sounds like a good ones for the older nephews, but pretty much I'm good with Uno, the odd game of Operation, and when they get older, chess, checkers, and Bridge and Gin Rummy. Besides, there's the whole thing about me despising my father, who seems to be a necessary adjunct to such occasions.

TNP thinks he or she should wear a multi-pocketed vest pretty often. Because of the pockets. And stuff.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't own any vests (other than a down one I hardly ever wear), and have thus far gotten through life OK, so false.

TNP owns at least three yellow neckties.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm, don't think so. Nothing against it, just doesn't seem to be a popular tie colour.

TNP owns at least one orange necktie.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative. I don't think I've ever even seen an orange tie, although I'm sure the right person could pull it off.

TNP thinks a red necktie looks a little more sharp than a solid navy blue one.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Agreed. Better yet, though, if it has a pattern, or stripes.

TNP prefers turtlenecks to neckties.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative, colonel. I've developed a horror of turtlenecks — and my neck size isn't particularly large. I'll still wear a mock turtleneck, but IMHO that doesn't count.

TNP thinks neckties in general look sharp and doesn't understand men who refuse to wear them when appropriate out of some principle.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, a necktie can be one of the easiest and most colorful ways to make your outfit stand out from the crowd. I understand why some guys don't like wearing 'em, but I often prefer to.

TNP likes Debussy:

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right, fine. Since no one else is going to answer, yeah, I'm like a mental patient for Debussy's corpus. I find he is both the first and last important composer since Beethoven, excepting some oddities like Brahms and Schumann, until the modernism is to take over.

TNP finds it difficult to resist asking various "bosses," in a very sincere, earnest manner, "What are your research interests?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I'm more likely to ask, "What are you reading these days?" Time spent discussing books is seldom wasted IME.

TNP is now reading a book published this year (as I am: Susan Orlean's The Library Book, about the 1986 fire which devastated the L.A. Public Library).

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, I'm working on a 2007 book that had escaped my notice, although it's my jam.

TNP has read a Bram Stoker book other than Dracula.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. In fact, not only did I not know that Stoker wrote anything other than Dracula, I haven't read Dracula. Although I was acquainted with a famous poet who did some L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E-oriented work on one of her ancestors, namely, Bram Stoker.

TNP is acquainted with the L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E "school" of poetry, to some degree.

TNP is inspired to go to work even if one feels slightly ill (e.g., a head cold, sore throat, etc.) by the hopes of learning something new.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 28 Nov 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I'll go to work if I'm feeling only slightly ill, but it's out of a sense of duty and not in hopes of learning something new.

TNP has taken a sick day in the past two weeks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm considering one right now. No, I'm not "hungover," just poor sleep, and been awake since 2300 or so, despite some considerable efforts to relax and wait until the correct time. Typically, sitting upright at my desk and having some wine, some coffee, and some decongestants does the trick, and I think I can rally in the next hour — however, there's very little incentive to do so, and I'm thinking (if I can contact the appropriate people well in advance, so as to not let anybody down), maybe the effort is better spent hydrating and running a few errands.

TNP is seduced by the lure of spending a day of drinking water and spending time getting one's head right.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, that would be tempting, but I can't right now.

TNP still has some leftovers from six days ago.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm, don't think so, ate Friday's leftover pizza for lunch today.

TNP commonly lunches on leftovers.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really. Being a bachelor, I usually cook just enough food for me to eat in one sitting.

TNP will occasionally overeat, like a goldfish or a jungle cat, for wont of not having to deal with leftovers. Also, other reasons.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Now and then, but I try to avoid it. I'd rather still be just a little hungry than feel overstuffed.

TNP has felt overstuffed in the past two weeks, other than on Thanksgiving.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. I never really overeat on Thanksgiving dinners -- about an average, modest plate of food -- but aside from that, I have problems keeping enough space in my stomach to hold the immense quantities of liquids I drink, in addition to fairly modest amounts of the wrong kinds of foods. In short, that's a recipe for gastric distress, especially when combined with ibuprofen. So, not so much overstuffed as stomach-wise incompetently directed by my mind.

TNP thinks Eisenhower's (Ike, not Mamie!) idea of turning bad habits (in his case, smoking cigarettes, IIRC) into personal challenges to one's discipline is how TNP confronts and inspects his or her own deficiencies in habit.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never really been into that.

TNP has seen John Ford's 1949 Western She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (as I did last night).

Registered
    Feb 2009

More than once.

TNP thinks Ford's Cavalry Trilogy is one of the great accomplishments of American cinema.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No doubt. A little John Agar, some Duke Wayne, some Victor McLagen. Something for everybody. In general, American movies would not be the same without those three gems (the movies, not necessarily the actors, and that goes double for Agar) and most of the rest of Jack Ford's movies. One could say that by highlighting the Irish-American experience, he helped the square public get beyond the more firmly-engrained Scots-Irish protestant hegemony.

TNP did not know that Roddy Macdowell supposedly had a huge dick.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 Nov 2018 at 06:50 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No! I'd heard that about James Woods, but not McDowall.

TNP liked James Woods's role as Hades (playing him as a sleazy-Hollywood-producer-type) in Disney's Hercules.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but that sounds like a good role for him...I suppose.

TNP has jump-started someone else's car recently, using the cables and all that (and, if true, was surprised he or she did it right!).

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but that sounds like a good role for him...I suppose. (N.B., I said "had" a huge dick, not "was a huge dick.")

TNP has jump-started someone else's car recently, using the cables and all that (and, if true, was surprised he or she did it right!).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, been a long time.

TNP is kind of amazed by how high tech cars have gotten to be, what with the parallel parking by themselves and so forth.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative, absolutely negatively no. I see various innovations in private motor-carriages, and I see manifold points of failure.

TNP would never, ever let an automobile park itself in public. Maybe in a demolition derby, but otherwise, no, not where humans are involved.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not for a few more years yet, but I can see that the day will likely come, and probably in my lifetime.

TNP hopes, health permitting, to live for at least another 30 years.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hahahah..Oh. Wait, that wasn't a joke. Er, yes? Sure. Hope something eternal something flame springs....thirty years more?

TNP thinks one should never state that women make some of the best live-in domestic companions besides...I don't know...until they become sentient or revert to a feral state. Unless, that is, one wishes to become short-lived.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 30 Nov 2018 at 05:20 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, having been married for more than 28 years now, I'd say it would probably be better if you kept that particular observation to yourself.

TNP has seen a cartoon with a horse in it in the past two days.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, just watch Bojack Horseman last night.

TNP, between streaming and DVR, hardly ever watches a TV show other than news and sports at its broadcast time anymore.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty much true.

TNP still gets movie DVDs from the library now and then.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure, but it's been a few years since I've wanted to see something I don't already have a physical copy of.

TNP thinks a movie to be viewed at home is immeasurably poorer if one cannot choose ad hoc one's choice of subtitles or dubbed languages.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Agreed.

TNP has seen the BBC TV movie SS-GB, about a Scotland Yard homicide detective in Nazi-occupied London in late 1941.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I can see the appeal, but I'm an old man who only watches the same movies again, for the most part, not to mention music. No, not kidding. A TV where apes evolved from men?

TNP hasn't changed his or her style of dressing since about the age of eighteen or so (not counting various costumes for special activities, like a gimp suit or other "exercise" equipment).

Registered
    Feb 2009

False, I try to dress better these days, don't always succeed.

TNP owns more than two pairs of blue jeans.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not literally more than. I think exactly two pairs of blue jeans and a pair of black jeans. I've permanently switched to canvas work pants, though, and am not going back.

The first thing TNP thinks of when seeing someone do the "blue jeans + sport coat" thing is "hippie college professor."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yup, or someone a bit stiff who's trying to dress down - or had to head out the door in a hurry.

TNP has been in a log cabin the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I was a single-digit-aged child when I saw purely wooden structures.

TNP thinks Jerry Garcia should never have been allowed to touch a guitar, for his style is barbaric, offensive, and without any merit whatsoever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, I don't mind his playing, although I was never a Deadhead.

TNP has been to San Francisco in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No; in fact the most time I've spent in San Fran was on the way to Santa Cruz (very nice town, IMHO), so just passing through. And some other times, but just passing through, really.

TNP would rather spend a few weeks in Seattle than in San Francisco, if he or she had some time to kill or just wanted to.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Definitely. Seattle has a far more pleasant vibe, in my experience.

TNP would like to get to Portland sometime.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've been there just once (in both Maine and Washington State), but would love to go back to each.

TNP has read any of Philip Kerr's Berlin Noir novels.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I haven't, but if I didn't have about twenty books already on the stack, it's probably a series worth looking into. I'm assuming it's in the "alternate history" genre, about which I know nothing, but would be good to explore.

TNP can't really understand why tourists visit his or her current town/city.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I haven't, but if I didn't have about twenty books already on the stack, it's probably a series worth looking into. I'm assuming it's in the "alternate history" genre, about which I know nothing, but would be good to explore.

TNP can't really understand why tourists visit his or her current town/city.

+ Reply to thread