+ Reply to thread
Page 169 of 169 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 165 166 167 168 169
Results 8,401 to 8,412 of 8412

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not yesterday, nor today. I'm pretty sure the county sherriff in my spot is an elected position, as well as many judicial posts: no offense meant, but I consider it an OK day when I don't have to talk to "the man" in person. The presumption is that the speech would be related to my own misconduct. Which it most likely would be. Or the misconduct of others, in which case I'd have bigger problems to think about, but the intermediary stages of resolution would likely involve an elected official.

TNP considers him or her to be almost superhamnly precise, swift, and accurate at navigating complex traffic (human, automobile, in the natural world of solitude, or mixed) scenarios, and therefore when he or she very occasionally makes a collosal blunder is incredibly disappointed. At least for a moment.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 15 Sep 2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling not included, obviously :)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, my sense of direction is horrible, and "colossal blunder" is pretty much my default mode.

TNP would dearly love to get a handle on what exactly was going on in the Late Bronze Age Collapse.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never even heard of it before (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Bronze_Age_collapse), but if I found out exactly what happened, I'd be sure to post it here!

TNP believes climate change isn't given enough weight in contemporary historiography.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I wouldn't have any idea. "Contemporary" to the Late Bronze Age? I don'r know,,,probably? Yeah, I suppose changes in quantities over time are difficult to assess, given only one resultant and, say, one or a small handful of inputs. That's one reason people "push" calculus over n inputs, and the solution of systems of differential equations, because it's pretty handy.

Leibniz wins over Newton, any day of the week, in any important contest. TNP is correct and agrees.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And yes, I also would like to know more about the Late Bronze Age Collapse. I've never heard of it before, and now I feel like a moron. Anecdotes! Stories from the Late Bronze Age (what is that, like Homeric age? that I do know about)! Regale me with tales from the Late Bronze Age, ye elderly creatures!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I can't say that I've given it too much thought, but Leibniz always sounded like less of a dick than Newton, so, why not.

TNP is craving a Snickers bar right now.

(Oh, and late Bronze Age collapse: God knows what happened. It would seem to what brought an end to the "Homeric Age", and it's even possible than the Iliad is a poetic memory of one of its events. A tightly connected, prosperous, literate East Mediterranean world ended in a few decades, bringing on a Dark Age, and no one quite knows why.)

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I could go me a Snickers bar about now. I'd rather go me a Payday bar, but I wouldn't probably turn down a Snickers. Good wholesome food for good young North Americans. Sort of, I guess.

ETA That's interesting about the Bronze Age collapse, however late it might have been (or early, really, from our perspective). Sounds familiar, now that you describe it. Possibly one source of the divergence between the Homeric dialect of Gk language from the later Attic "pure" Gk, and also its continuity with koine and the "further east" dialects. Not sure, but it's interesting.

EETA And, yes, Leibniz was a colossal prick, in his time, including his ridiculous conspiracy theories about Spinoza and his rather cunning plots to sabotage or exploit weaknesses among those he considered enemies. He was, however, more or less a diplomat by trade, so, instead of just plain being a jerk and a dickweed, he had some motives for his cuntery. In the name of politics etc. Well, that's the playground version of my assessment.

TNP sometimes wishes he or she had a full-face helmet/visor contraption in order to better mask his or her visible emotions when, for example, missing a shot during a pool game or that type of thing.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 17 Sep 2019 at 06:43 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmmm. Sure! Might come in handy for poker.

TNP wants to sit in for a jam session with Daft Punk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daft_Punk

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I can hang with that Franco-Motherfuckers. I don't know if I call it music, but it's pretty close,and I can hang with that. I'll even finger-pop with the best of them when the heat is on, or that whole genre gets a good groove. Makes me want to patch the Rhodes piano through the mixer and go through the PA at home. Good enough.

TNP has become a major fan of using kinesiotape (or just whatever you want to call it, "athletic tape" is good enough) for even minor injuries about the feet and/or hands.

TNP's next instrument should probably be a trap drums. The final frontier. Ah, come on, every musician knows rhythm, and since that is the ubiquitous instrument next to acoustic piano, guitar, organ, and bass, it should be a snap. Come on: snare on the left, toms down below, crash top right, high-hat to the left.

It really doesn't be that difficult, but for a thought experiment, just count off snapping your fingers on the upbeats, and using the microphone to demonstrate both the songs and do some casual studio chatter.

Those guys have big fucking brains. Maybe not all of them, but IME it's harder than you think.

QED and just check Levon "Up On Cripple Creek" from The Last Waltz.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; Yesterday at 12:26 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure, having played piano and alto sax, why not try trap drums next...?

TNP will be out of town this weekend.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I wish. Oh well, baseball and North Woods Law, probably.

TNP is oddly fond of North Woods Law.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Never heard of it. It does sound promising, at least as a snappy title, not knowing anything about it.

TNP thinks being short of cash is, on the one hand, sort of cute, like La bohème and shit, but mostly it is a giant PITA.

+ Reply to thread