+ Reply to thread
Page 181 of 204 FirstFirst ... 81 131 171 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 191 ... LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,050 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I haven't had more than a sip of Scotch since I can't remember when. Blended whiskeys, or bourbons? That's a different story.

TNP will name his or her comestible or potable equivalent of Popeye's cans of spinach that inspires him or her to do productive things.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Coffee. Without it, work is unthinkable.

TNP now owns a large assortment of face masks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have three, all sewn by my very skilled wife: a blue one, a green one, and one with a Cleveland Indians logo pattern.

TNP has a favorite restaurant he or she particularly misses not having gone to lately.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I have visited a "restaurant" whose food I've regularly liked in the past, but, while I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot, I'm not sure I've graduated into covidiot status. Probably, but aren't we all covidiots, deep down?

It's worth it for a quiet beer or two, on occasion, while maintaining distance, as much as possible, but I just don't think the food is worth it. Spraying bits of particles between mouthfuls of food all around...perhaps I just need better table manners.

Nearly ready-to-eat grocery store foods: frozen pizzas, hot dogs and buns, or frozen burritos? TNP will choose! And choose TNP must! And will do so!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hot dogs and buns. The other two are for teenagers and stoners.

TNP thinks the Chicago style hot dog is the ultimate form of the food.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I like 'em fine, but I'd really rather have an all-beef bit of heaven from the Hot Dog Shoppe in East Liverpool, Ohio, just with ketchup and melted cheddar, please, along with a big-ass basket of cheese fries. Mmmm.

TNP has used a red pen in the past hour.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I only use red Sharpies to mark out the three days of each week I abstain from alcohol on the calendar [you know, to let the liver dry out a bit and also in a vain attempt to "diet"], and I haven't decided what today will bring.

TNP has ever submitted a plea of "no contest" to a non-criminal violation along with an explanatory letter to the court. TNP can provide the results, if he or she feels like it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, although I have had some minor traffic charges dismissed after an explanatory phone call or a letter.

TNP would visit London tomorrow if finances and the pandemic permitted it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I'd prefer it if I kept my virgin streak of never having visited the British isles intact. They're more than welcome to send some war brides over for me to paw at, but in these uncertain times, I don't think they would. Not the best ones, anyway.

TNP had a moment recently of thinking about going into a haircuttery, then thought, "meh, fuck it, it's Covidtown!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, even though they’ve reopened here, seems like more trouble than it’s worth. Will probably get my wife to cut my hair, like she did for the kid.

TNP hasn’t been in an elevator in three months.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I was on one on Thursday. Only two people allowed on at a time, and there are big stickers on the floor to remind you to maintain six-foot-away social distancing.

TNP listened to some Sousa on July 4th.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I was thinking about it, in a kind of perverse way, as in, "Yeah, let them call the sherriffs and explain that the Sousa music on the fourth of July is too loud." But, fortunately, the howling beasts and raving maniacs were somewhat incapacitated or otherwise less troublesome, so there was no need to attempt to equilibrate the noise.

TNP is very much not amused by fireworks. Not at all.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If they're too loud, and too close, and go on too late (all of which they have, lately), no, I'm really not.

TNP has bought fireworks in the past month.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, literally can’t remember the last time I bought any.

TNP is living in an area that’s having a heat wave.

Registered
    Sep 2009

True. It has been a bit toasty of late, but after 9 last night we were finally able to turn off the A/C and open the windows.

TNP isn't sure he or she could survive the summer without air conditioning.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Far from it. Good Holland-Dozer-Holland tune, though, courtesy of Martha Vandella and the Vandelles! Whoops, too slow on the draw.

Yeah, I can do no AC no prob: jockey shorts, wifebeaters and some cold, cold beer. It's proof that God hates us and wants us to be miserable.

TNP has tried fitted ball-caps, from manufacturers like FlexFit (I guess is one of the main manufacturers), and is never going back to any kind of adjustable cap.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 06 Jul 2020 at 02:25 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have, and IF they fit, that's fine. But too often they're just not quite right, so the adjustable ones are better.

TNP owns more than three baseball caps.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Probably, but I only like the current one that fits my 7 ¾ melon. WITHOUT that little strap of velcro or plastic on the back, thank you very much! The rest can go to hell, or have been lost or are in unknown parts around my domicile.

TNP has ever bought or acquired two or more of the identical pieces of clothing (mark, maker, size, color, model number, everything identical) because it was just good. For example, white dress shirts, or ballcaps, for that matter.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Jul 2020 at 10:59 PM. Reason: i dunno

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, some Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts and L.L. Bean button-down shirts that I liked and wanted to have more than one of.

TNP has no shoes on right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Damn right. If at home, no shoes on. I'll be strapping on the steel-toed boots in not too long, so, that's the rule.

TNP is amazed that the product "Shoe Goo" still exists, and would use it to repair some hiking shoes or trail runners.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I am, a little, yeah. But I suppose anything useful can probably be found somewhere.

TNP owns a stopwatch (one not on a phone).

Registered
    Jul 2013

Absolutely. Several, in fact. It's one of the main reasons I wear a watch with a chronograph, aside from, you know, telling what time it is. The circular slide rule on the bezel....I'm ashamed to say doesn't get very much use, but it is neat, in a barely-useful way. The only thing it lacks that would be very handy is a little magnetic compass (in addition to lacking a date complication, but I pride myself on knowing what day it is mostly).

TNP finds it useful to set up clocks on computers, say, to display different time zones simultaneously, including UTC/Zulu/GMT. Of course in the 24-hour system.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not useful, I guess, but kind of cool. I've set the World Clock screen on my smartphone for the times of London, Cairo, Tokyo and McMurdo Station in Antarctica (+6, +7, +14 and +17 hours, respectively, from EST).

TNP would like to visit Antarctica someday.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. That's one of the very few places on the top of my list to live. Unfortunately, there's a bunch of red tape: you can't really just up and rent a room at McMurdo and chill out (?!) for a while, AFAIK. They're kind of particular, you know, is my understanding.

TNP would rather live in Finland than Norway (yes, given that there are various regions of each country that are somewhat disparate, but in general).

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have no particular desire to live in either place, but I've seen far more beautiful pictures of Norway than I have of Finland, and Finland's proximity to Putin's aggressive Russia is slightly troubling, so I'll have to say no. But I'd be willing to visit both countries post-COVID.

TNP has been to both Finland and Norway.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I've been to neither! But Finland is such an oddly egalitarian culture, with an odd language, and with ... it's just odd. So, speaking and reading/writing a tiny bit of Finnish, I'd go there in a second if I could figure out a way to get some time off while TCB of my stuff here in the meantime. Long plane ride, anyway, from PDT.

TNP thinks the NATO alliance is kind of a relic, almost quaint, but probably serves some purposes that aren't completely dim-witted or nefarious in intent.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely. I have a much higher opinion of NATO than that guy in the White House these days.

TNP knew that J.R.R. Tolkien based his Elvish language Quenya, in part, on Finnish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quenya

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, yeah. I think it was you yourself who said that not too long ago! [Excursus: it is true that Finnish has fifteen grammatical cases, but it's not really very difficult. Most of them are locative cases, and then you have the usual ablative in extended, metaphorical uses, the genitive, and the very peculiar use of what they call the partitive case. Which is, indeed, much like the partitive in English or French or any number of other languages, but they really get the maximum use out of that one. Beyond that, it's that the lexicon is not at all related to Slavic or Romance or other Indo-European languages. So, yes, there are quite a few borrowed words from mostly the continent or the British isles, but the bulk of the language has very little to do with any of that.]

TNP would be angered, or at least upset, if he or she were obliged to learn a specific minoritarian language throughout lower education, such as the Finns do with Swedish language, and to some extent German, because of history and stuff.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely. I have no particular skill and languages and would not appreciate such an obligation.

TNP has shaken someone's hand today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Not for months. Even before the dark days began, fist bump was much more de rigueur, though.

TNP thinks the "newer" elbow-bump (to replace the ever-popular fist-bump) is pretty fly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Eh. I'd just as soon stay six feet away, if I can.

TNP has taken part in a trivia game in the past two weeks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. Not unless playing "stump the chumps" with you guys or at a piano forum counts.

TNP can give one singularly persuasive argument to read JRRT's Lord of the Rings. Preferably in more than several words, but less than, I don't know, like a million, or something.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It’s incredibly entertaining. Forget about it being the foundation of modern fantasy and all that, it is a joy to read. ( I don’t know if that’s enough words, but it’s what I got.)

TNP is travelling someplace farther than the supermarket in the next few weeks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really if one says a 10km radius. Don't need to go farther than that.

TNP is pretty good at converting metric to imperial British units in one's head, but not the best.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I have no skill for that at all.

TNP has dealt with paper recycling in the past day or two.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I just throw it all in the trash. If the damned dictator of the free world doesn't even know Finland's a country, or feigns ignorance, what's more little bit of cardboard going to do.

TNP has recently heard a pretty amazing battle of the birds lately. Literally, birds. And believes there was at least one casualty. But cannot say which flock triumphed in the end.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 18 Jul 2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: sp

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I saw a red-tailed hawk being driven away from a grove of trees by quite a few of what might have been chickadees not long ago. I think the hawk was uninjured but definitely lost that dispute.

TNP likes avian raptors generally.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. I like the seeing various types of owls back when I was commuting well before dawn descend across the roadway in a very determined fashion...I don't know, going after some small rodent or perhaps something much larger. There are plenty of neat birds, and among the raptors there's no exception.

TNP is slightly confused that various federal enforcers deployed against protestors in parts of the US are indeed part of the best solution to hold civilian local and state law enforcement accountable. Not confused, exactly, but it's partly ironic and partly incongrous, the nearly universal vitriol among what seems to be a proponderance of activists.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'd say the guy in the White House seems to have a hard time distinguishing between peaceful protesters and violent mobs - or, more likely, it suits his political agenda to mix the two.

TNP has been to Portland in the past five years.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, yeah I heard of that. I'd not recommend visiting. It's ugly, the people are stupid hippies, everyone drives like they're hillbillies on crack, and the cops are not chill. Some good dive bars relatively free of hipsters, though.

TNP does not think there's anything juvenile or ridiculous about holding various nations and their cultures responsible for their actions in the past, say ninety years. Such as abstaining from buying their automobiles, or whatever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's not juvenile or ridiculous, but it's not something I would do. My family had a young Japanese exchange student stay with us for awhile when I was a kid. She was as smart, kind and friendly as could be, but faced some racist hostility in my small Ohio hometown from people who blamed her for what her militaristic countrymen had done years before she was even born.

TNP is reading a really good book these days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. I'm reading (possibly rereading: I some notes in the margins in my hand, but I don't recall making them) Beckett's Watt and Murphy, sort of treating them as one book. Watt is pure comedy, but Murphy takes the prize as the better novel.

TNP, when having to call via the telephone the IRS (US federal taxation bureau), finds it necessary to schedule approximately an entire day to perform the task. And finds this to be absurd.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, the Federal bureaucracy can be infuriating. I advise you to keep 'em on speakerphone so that you don't have to hold the phone up to your ear the whole time, and take careful notes as to who you talk to so you can let higher-ups or later contacts know to whom you've already spoken, and what they told you.

TNP thinks that's good advice.

Registered
    Jul 2013

It's very good advice. I can't remember the last time I did a phone thing and didn't have pen/cil and paper ready to note time, contact, and all that. I'm no Karen, mind you, it just has aways seemed better to keep good records. No, I can't deal with speakerphone, though: I find it unsettling both as an auditor and as an orator.

TNP finds, damn the trees, it's best to keep groups of records or discrete printed matter scrupulously devoted to their own file folders.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, where possible. I often prefer to keep hard copies of records.

TNP has looked through a telescope in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Lots of light pollution, and even if I find myself in good position under favorable conditions, just the naked eye (perhaps with corrective lenses i.e. eyeglasses) is enough to satisfy me that I can still spot the obvious constellations.

TNP is now or has ever made it a little mission to teach younger relatives how to properly use a map and a compass to navigate, for it is in TNP's view a very important skill which requires practice.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, not since my Scouting days.

TNP has seen a non-pet rabbit in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. They, well, apparently they breed like rabbits. AFAICT their diet consists of much more than a gardener's carrots or other root vegetables, since they clearly thrive in areas devoid of cultivated plant matter.

TNP has done a real crossword puzzle recently (WSJ's weekly, NYT, etc.).

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, not in years. Not a crossword guy, although I enjoy Scrabble and Bananagrams.

TNP has played either of those games in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah. I do have a Scrabble set somewhere, but I just don't especially enjoy the game. People always arguing about what the words are, not respecting the dictionary. And they got rid of some of the best words, so eff that noise. I have no idea what a Bananagram is, and I don't think I care to investigate! Besides I'd have to have friends to play those. Not for me!

TNP, if one were inclined to acquire and train a beast to respond perfectly to voice control, could probably set aside historical connotations and use a German Shepherd for the task.

+ Reply to thread