+ Reply to thread
Page 179 of 204 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 189 ... LastLast
Results 8,901 to 8,950 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

I would never, ever, ever want to be a janitor in a biohazard lab.

TNP agrees with that.

Registered
    Jul 2013

What? That kind of sounds like fun. Probably "get" to wear a real swell Tyvek bunny suit, and you could probably spend most of your time just screwing around, having some adult libations, or whatever.

Not like being a security guard: I think that's got to be the shittiest job on the planet, aside from harvesting crops or picking cotton or digging ditches.

Aim high! Stay in school, kids!

TNP gets unreasonably irritated when people call him or her by a wrong nickname or name, or even misspells his or her last name.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A bit, yes, but it doesn't happen all that often, and there are certainly more serious things to be worried about.

If TNP had to go to prison he or she would want to be in solitary to avoid all kinds of nasty people, despite the isolation.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I've considered that. Yes, probably. They say solitary confinement can really make you nuts, but if I were allowed to have books of my own choosing, pen and paper in enormous quantities, I think I could deal with that. I don't want to get involved with a bunch of gangsters or hillbillies. Cooler, Hiltz!

But I think to get into solitary you generally have to do some bad shit while inside: I suspect they regard reading and writing materials as privileges for "model" prisoners. Which I very much suspect I would not be.

TNP keeps getting in minor "trouble" by some nellies on other message boards, primarily because of filthy language. No, I'm not talking about sdmb or its derivatives, that was all a long time ago.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fuck, no.

TNP has a new earworm, as I do:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, but I kind of like my novel earworms, so forgive if I don't wish to introduce a new one.

TNP will choose the better musician: James Brown or Aretha Franklin. And state the results of his or her choice.

Better: TNP would rather have thousands of pieces of paper to write on, as well as appropriate writing utensils, than a mediocre collection of books from which to read.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 06 May 2020 at 07:41 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I suppose I would. I do write a lot and take a lot of notes, and I have plenty of really good books on my shelves already.

TNP is reading a very good book these days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Debussy's Préludes, Bk. 1. And I've started reading Mallarmé again, just whatever bits from the first Pléiade (Henri Mondor) edition I feel like (not the two-volume updated Pléiade edited by Bertrand Marchal, which I should probably buy, and should have acquired a long time ago if "foreign" books weren't still so damned expensive to buy in the US).

TNP cannot dance "the frug" at all, and think the world is a better place for it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Unquestionably. Did you even have to ask?

TNP asked a rhetorical question aloud today within others' hearing.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, I probably muttered something like that to myself during a morning walk and trip to the grocery store. It happens so frequently, I've stopped keeping count. Contemptuous snarling remarks are so easily disguised by my surgical masks, how can I resist? Easy. I don't. 100% sure on that, but I don't remember what exactly the occasion was today. There are so many!

Yes, how would I know what EH's dance moves are like? For all I know you're a regular James Brown on the floor. Doing the Night Train, doing the Frug, step back and do the boogaloo. Doing the monkey, doing the jerk. Mashed potatoes........AWWWWWWW!!!! Like this.

That's kind of an amusing thought, though. Hit it! 34 "Cold Sweat!" 4 "unnnh" Count it off! "Maceo! I said Maceo! Get up take it, I step back and do the James Brown." ( ) You know that mofo cut a big slice of boogaloo off at somebody's wedding at some point. I know I have back in the day, but I'd sure rather not any video of me cutting the rug get out there. EH you're full of shit: you're older than me, you darned sure did the boogaloo at one point.

TNP is probably spending about the same amount of time online as before CV-19, but is kind of getting a bit rowdier.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 09 May 2020 at 01:45 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

About the same amount of time, yes, but not sure I'm any rowdier. Probably not.

TNP can hear a bird chirping outside right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh yeah. I'm not that great at identifying birds by their calls, but I think I hear a robin, and some little chirpy guys. Quite a few different calls at the moment. Pretty active right now.

Maybe it's one bird that thinks it's Rich Little and is just screwing with me.

TNP lives near quite a few birds' nesting places, up to or including some in the rafters near a window.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, we had a robin build her nest under the eaves of our roof this spring, and we've seen at least two - maybe three - baby birds in there with her.

TNP has seen an adorable baby animal in person recently.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, it’s been a while. About all I’ve seen since the isolation is squirrels, and come to think of it, I don’t remember ever seeing a baby squirrel.

TNP likes dark meat better than white meat.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Most horsemeat tends to be dark, much like the meat of a duck. I'd rather eat that than a fat little baby.

TNP cannot imagine a diet which does not include almonds, at least on occasion.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Agreed. Smokehouse almonds, preferably.

TNP has an aversion to persimmons.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Uh. Sort of. It's complicated. It's a really tart fruit, and I find it in general disagreable.

TNP has recently commented to himself or herself, "That's definitely an organic compound, really an ester." Or similar.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No.

TNP has recently felt the urge to yell NERD!!!!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Are you fucking kidding me? I love it, and every chance I get. And do indeed IRL get the chance pretty often! It's a little bit ironic, because I might be a bit of a nerd. But the only way to know that is because you're a NERRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

TNP actually kind of despises antisocial creepazoids. OR Alternate TNP: TNP should fucking shave his or her face, because this CV excuse is getting to wear thin for poor hygiene.

OK a better one: TNP has ever worked saddle by saddle with an elderly gentleman from the great state of Texas, and did or did not find it to be kind of unpleasant, in a folksy kind of way, y'all can unnerstan, I kin see you're a kinder young feller likes to keep busy, well, I'll let you know when they all get a break for you fellers. MOTHERFUCK SHIT I WANT TO KILL THAT OLD BASTARD.

Now, now, we just biding our time. My daughter, she's down in Californi.......MOTHERFUCKER YOU WILL DIE!!!!!

OK Just, player's choice, pick one. Got a bit carried away there.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 15 May 2020 at 05:53 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I have never "worked saddle by saddle with an elderly gentleman from the great state of Texas."

TNP has a friend in San Antonio, Texas.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Fraid not, pardner. But they make a good sarsparilla down out that way, what they tell me.

TNP can and will name his or her favorite cowboy movie.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm, that's a toughie. Probably Appaloosa, although True Grit (both versions), Little Big Man, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Blazing Saddles and Hostiles are all well worth a look. And I know it's heresy, but I actually enjoyed the Will Smith film Wild Wild West.

TNP hates at least one of those movies, and will tell us that, and his or her own favorite cowboy movie.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, no. I haven't seen the updated Wild Wild West, nor, I don't think, Hostiles, so I just couldn't say. Sounds like good fun to me.

TNP has struck up a little rapport with an overseas woman at least once in his or her life, sight unseen, but might have made a good friend. [B]AND[/B doesn't think it's lame. Not completely.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I don't think so. A couple in the U.S., on various websites, but none from overseas that I can think of.

TNP has listened to Vivaldi in the past three days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I haven't listened to any instrumental music except the JBs lately. Somebody did give me a hint that the composer Hummel might be the "missing link" I was looking for between the classical period and Chopin, in particular.

TNP dislikes Chopin's music, with a few exceptions.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I like Chopin and listen to him once in awhile with pleasure.

TNP knew that Harry Truman loved Chopin and could play several of his piano pieces.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I knew HST (Hunter S Thompson? No, he couldn't play. The other HST!) could play pretty good, but I didn't know he had a thing for Chopin.

TNP has unkind thoughts about folks who reject early twentieth-century modernism in music, especially works of the 2nd Viennese school by Schönberg, Berg, Webern.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I share much of their scorn for early-modern atonal crap.

TNP is now filled with righteous indignation.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I'm just very, very disappointed. Yes, I was shaking my head in pity for such unfortunates.

TNP does not care for enjoyable music, unless it is rigorous in structure and execution.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Enjoyable music" is very much in the ear of the beholder. As Duke Ellington said, "If it sounds good, it is good."

TNP agrees with that sentiment.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. There's the jive and the hip, man. Those are the only two kinds of music.

TNP knew that either (i) in Finland, Ascension Day (i.e., today) is a national holiday from which workers are exempt from tasks OR (ii) that Helsinski is really freaking close to St. Petersburg.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. There's the jive and the hip, man. Those are the only two kinds of music.

TNP knew that either (i) in Finland, Ascension Day (i.e., today) is a national holiday from which workers are exempt from tasks OR (ii) that Helsinki is really freaking close to St. Petersburg.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not the first, kinda aware of the second, since Finnish troops took part in the siege of Leningrad.

TNP is interested in odd WWII stuff, like how many biplanes actually were involved, and how many side issues there were, like the war between Vichy France and Thailand.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. There's a lot there, particularly considering how the interwar period developed (or didn't develop). There's a lot between the Franco-Prussian War and WWI as well. I think that's very good that mankind can measure interesting moments only by comparison to periods of great strife. It's terrific.

Not enough to research specifically about WWII things, but, yes, one takes note.

TNP thinks passive-aggression, or "sandbagging," or "work-to-rule" is a successful tactic to employ when direct methods of request have been exhausted several times over, for example, to one's employer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

They certainly have their place, when reasonable requests, pursued through the proper channels, have been ignored.

TNP can name the current U.S. Secretary of State without looking it up.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't remember, if I ever knew. I regard the cabinet as part of a failed state, and don't give one shit anymore.

TNP is somewhat optimistic that restaurants and bars will actually open relatively soon, under certain limitations, in his or her county or local district. If so, TNP thinks it would not be unwise to begin to socialize in such environments.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not in my jurisdiction, where the numbers have gone the wrong direction lately. And although I always loved restaurants and bars, am in no rush to check out the post-Pandemic experience.

TNP has been getting alcohol delivered to their residence during this time.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I've been going to a liquor store right by me. They're chill. Five customers only at a time in the store, masks, plexiglass, they'll just scribble a signature on the charge slip if you want. Nice people. I am glad the OLCC (oregon liquor control commission) got the bug out of its ass, at least for now. Unlike civilized places, it's always been forbidden to deliver liquor hereabouts to private residences.

TNP is unreasonably amused that the national tree of Finland is the Birch. Apparently they have a lot of them, too.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I didn't know that, but it's cool with me.

TNP knew that Ohio has an official state fossil (the trilobite).

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'll say true. I'd be surprised if many states didn't have a whole bunch of official things. I wouldn't know what any of them are, except now for OH's fossil.

TNP has gone looking for fossils at least once, but never had any good finds.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I've poked around now and then. The best I've found was a pretty good fossilized impression of a leafy fern on a stone a few inches across.

TNP has called an unpleasant old person a "fossil" to his or her face.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, never. I'm very democratic in mutterijng "Watch it! douchebag." With or without masks. Hey, not that clever, but I do my part!

TNP is going to translate at first glance any of the phrases "haluatko seksiä, kissa" or "poliisi on ystäväsi" without looking at a dictionary, and will share the results here.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"My hovercraft is full of eels" (in Finnish and Polish, respectively, not Hungarian, of course: )

TNP will tells us what either of those phrases really mean.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. No, sorry to disappoint, but nothing about hovercrafts or elvers. One is a suggestion from a gal pal about a good pickup line for a Finnish chick: "Want to have sex, kitty-cat?" I am assured that one would not be pepper-sprayed if said in a nice friendly manner. The other is just kind of a proverb or a set phrase: "Police or friend?" Surprisingly, it does not mean "Police or Stasi?" The Uralic languages only share by borrowing some words from Indo-European languages, sort of by accident. The core language has absolutely nothing to do with Slavic, Germanic, or Greco-Latin languages. It's profoundly different, lexically, from the languages most Euro-centric people are likely to know, except for Hungarian, which is also a Uralic language.

Fascinating. Fifteen cases, but only one set of endings, no grammatical gender, no articles. Some fixed rules about declining nouns from word stems, more or less irregularities, but the cases themselves are very straightforward, I find. The partitive case is used in a kind of complicated way, but I think it just takes some getting used to. Delightful language, and I'm happy to have changed my mind about the Finnish people. At least some of them are extremely rational and practical people, and I find very little to object to. I like it, anyway, and I consider it a great blessing to have become a bit close with a very interesting Finnish woman through the internet. A pen-pal, I suppose.

TNP can think of a good solution to the following problem. Very loud, uncontrolled dogs barking, which emanate from an entirely separate property of apartments and spoils any hope of contemplation. The county sherriffs, apparently, disagree, or rather one of my neighbors, that using music as a masking device in one's own dwelling is a good idea, but beyond wearing ear protection in one's own office, where one contemplates, reads, writes, which is an unreasonable expectation, the only remaining solution to controlling the soundscape would seem to be playing a loop of industrial construction noise through a mixer with gain, and a large PA speaker. At least immunity from complaints would seem to be assured, for, after all, one is free to make the noise of home improvements within permitted hours.

Difficult problem.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 31 May 2020 at 02:04 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, wish I had a better answer for you. Noise complaints are a chronic issue in big cities. As I often say, "You're free to enjoy your music, just don't inflict it on others."

TNP knew that Tolkien particularly appreciated Finnish, and drew from it in developing one of his Elven languages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quenya

Registered
    Jul 2013

I had no idea. My opinion of Tolkien, such as it was, has grown in appreciation. Good taste he had, I'd say. Well, maybe not about the elves and orcs and things, but you know, IRL doing actual stuff.

TNP has found recently something in, say, music, to appreciate among a composer one had little time or patience for previously.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, indeed. I've found myself listening to more Boccherini these days (not that I had anything against him earlier):

TNP has personally seen a bar or restaurant recently that hasn't been enforcing safe social distancing.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, the county where the major metropolitan area is near here doesn't have enough contact tracers or some shit, so they are very possibly the only county in the state ineligible to reopen bars and restaurants.

TNP thinks it's completely impossible to maintain distance while drinking beer at a bar. Darn girls' heads just keep falling right in your lap. Can't be done!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I dunno about the girls, but yeah, I don’t see how a proper bar and social distancing can work together.

TNP has been ordering a lot of delivery food.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Maybe once a week - not all that much.

TNP has been watching a lot more TV than usual in the past two months.

+ Reply to thread