+ Reply to thread
Page 157 of 204 FirstFirst ... 57 107 147 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 167 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,850 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but I cannot resist guessing that the multiple meanings of the word "like" inspires the witness to expound on his own frolic, or else, if clever, will betray a suspicious (i) reticence to answer the question or (ii) ask for clarification about the word "like."

TNP will not only explain, but also give details about the context (i.e., it must have been some kind of classic case, whence the "was").

Registered
    Jul 2013

Whoops. Mobile phone being slow this morning. In fine, I echo EH's request for details. It intrigues me.

Current TNP: No, I know some people from when I was much younger who practice law, but I'm not close friends with any of them.

TNP is bored with his or her usual hangouts outside of work/home, and plans to seek a new dive/whatever.

Registered
    Feb 2009

[On the "Did you like her?" The Attorney General, Rufus Isaacs, was prosecuting a man, Seddon, for the murder of his lodger, Miss Barrow. Seddon unwisely testified in his own defence.

Isaacs: "Miss Barrow lived with you from from July 10, 1910, to September 14, 1911?"

Seddon: "Yes".

Isaacs: "Did you like her?"

This threw Seddon off and he never recovered. Obviously, if he said he did not like her, he was done. If he said he did, he would show himself to be a liar, since Isaacs knew he had given her the cheapest possible burial. ]

To the question: I dunno, guess I don't have enough of a usual to get bored, and the places I often went to, I tended to go to with my kid, who's away at university. So, I guess, no.

TNP wouldn't mind finding a place where he could mention any drink at random, and just get it, with no explanation or story needed.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure, that sounds like a fun place.

Huh. Never heard that "Did you like her?" story before - thanks, RET!

TNP has been on the campus of a university or college in the past month, and will say where.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, since no one else is taking the campus plunge. No. I would say fortunately no, but I've found that being around undergraduates in a collegial setting is far preferable to the gelid, static company of younger people of the hipster variety. I think the kids are all right on the campuses I've been on in the past few years — they seem to be curious about ideas and full of hopes and plans.

TNP isWell, since no one else is taking the campus plunge. No. I would say fortunately no, but I've found that being around undergraduates in a collegial setting is far preferable to the gelid, static company of younger people of the hipster variety. I think the kids are all right on the campuses I've been on in the past few years — they seem to be curious about ideas and full of hopes and plans.

TNP is not sure that oral gum tissue can be partially restored from recession, but finds the possibility of good oral health too attractive to avoid making efforts to do what may be, in fact, an incertain oral future. Sort of like Pascal's wager, but with teeth and gums.

TNP thinks it would be hilarious to imitate Tokyo Rose to a coworker named "Joe," as in "You die, Joe!" "You no good Yankee Joe!" And yet resists the urge.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never thought of that before, but yes, now that I have, I'm finding I can resist the urge without too much effort.

TNP wants a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I usually subsist on a combination of carbs+fat, which is satisfying and provides a day's worth of fuel in a tasty, compact package, but last "night" and the day before, and probably today, I am really into eating about a pound and a half of flank steak. Not a balanced diet, but perhaps I just felt like eating muscle tissue.

TNP is considering buying a piece of exercise equipment soon, or has done so recently (examples might include clothing/shoes, or a pull-up bar for home use, or the like).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, my exercise tends to be walking, in my plantar fascitis (sp?) shoes, which I tend to by a new pair of annually.

TNP is cold.

Registered
    Sep 2009

At this moment, no, as our home office is nice 'n' toasty, but I have certainly been cold in recent days. It's -35 F here with the wind chill.

TNP's feet tend to get cold first.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I would say so, but then again, not really. It's hard to discriminate among ears, fingers, and feet. They all get cold. And I disapprove. At least feet's a pretty easy fix — socks do just fine. My feet are usually swaddled in shoes or socks during the rainy season, so they don't the chance to get cold.

Also, -35 degrees F? What the fuck is wrong with you people! I'm not going to look it up, but that sounds very abnormal for anywhere except in the Land of Lakes or AK, and, of course, most of Canada. Shame on you.

TNP thinks a Schwarzenegger-style "It is made from liquid metal" fits many more RL conversations than one might think. Including any situation from discussing jock itch to trying to make time with a random lady.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've never tried it, but probably, yeah.

TNP likes scones.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. They rate a medium ground among pastries. The croissant and the bagel are the dual heights of savory pastries, but a scone is better than any dry muffin or any other sweetened pastry, except for the humble biscuits and various other savory shortbreads made with cornmeal or flour. NO. I change my mind. There are lots better pastries, but scones are OK. So, yeah, sure, I like scones. Why? Because I'm no commie.

TNP can explain why it is that some people seem to insist upon correcting you IRL, when you've already made a reasoned decision. It must be some kind of disorder. Like being annoying or something. Rules-lawyering by a peer of equal status, which person has no interest in the outcome at the end, nor any insight into the decision process of the original agent, is how you would call the behavior, I guess.

ETA Pride is the sin, but all motivations I can think of come from a lack of something. Humility, ability to understand and evaluate multiple methods of achieving a self-same goal. I can't find anything, absent some demented venal aim, that would lead anyone to positively act in such a way.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 31 Jan 2019 at 05:54 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

TNP can explain why it is that some people seem to insist upon correcting you IRL, when you've already made a reasoned decision. It must be some kind of disorder. Like being annoying or something. Rules-lawyering by a peer of equal status, which person has no interest in the outcome at the end, nor any insight into the decision process of the original agent, is how you would call the behavior, I guess.

ETA Pride is the sin, but all motivations I can think of come from a lack of something. Humility, ability to understand and evaluate multiple methods of achieving a self-same goal. I can't find anything, absent some demented venal aim, that would lead anyone to positively act in such a way.

Eh, that was kind of....not good.

But the real TNP: TNP has recently played an album in his or her car at full volume, for example, Dr. John's Gumbo, or any other music.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I play particular songs from my iPod in the car, but never a full album, and definitely not at full volume. Full volume in my car would be painful.

TNP likes audiobooks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I've never been able to listen to a story since I was a child. Yeah, sure, I was and still am a prodigious reader, but the oral tradition is basically lost on me. Even in music, sure, I can "play by ear" or "fake it" as good as many, but I feel better with a pencil in my hand.

TNP thinks the 1970s were, in general, the golden era for instrumental musics with a popular flavor, and will give an example.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I like a lot of Seventies music. Here's one of my faves, a bit of movie music from 1979:

TNP likes that tune, too.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. It's pleasing to the ear. Quite a bit different than or Jimmy McGriff doing Theme from Shaft or Billy Preston's Outta Space, but it's nice and light. I didn't hear any wrong notes.

TNP is looking forward to the Super Bowl, for one reason only: that it be over and done with.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty much. If the Browns or the Steelers aren't playing, I basically don't give a damn.

TNP has a favorite retelling or version of the Mutiny on the Bounty.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I think I saw a few of them a few years ago (for some unknown reason). I liked the Brando one OK — IIRC they spared no expense on the color photography, at least it looked like it. I think I read a biography of Brando when I was...I don't know, ten or eleven or something...and the anecdotes of his antics on whatever island stuck with me as amusing. Particularly this girl he was shacked up with, IIRC, he teased by saying her "fufi tasted aki" — meaning her genitals tasted bitter or sour. What a card.

TNP has just now seen the infamous "AOC" college dance moves video and, while not supportive of her wild political views, did not realize she was quite a babe. Probably still is. As long as she doesn't encourage Bernie's bloviations, I don't have anything against her or see her as a threat in the upcoming elections as...I don't know...a drum majorette or whatever.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 03 Feb 2019 at 04:47 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, I actually don't have any great idea what you're even talking about. "Infamous" is relative, I guess.

TNP had a pretty boring weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. Nothing going on at all, whatsoever.

Oh, "AOC" (Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez) is just a 29-year old elected to represent NY in the House in Wash. D.C., and while she was at Boston for college she and some friends did a little video of some dancing on a rooftop. I think somebody posted it on Twitter quite a while ago trying to suggest she was a "wild chick," because she was pretty good at dancing and looked pretty good wearing not-revealing but form-fitting clothes of the type nubile undergraduates can make look good, but probably nobody else (jeans and T-shirt, basically).

TNP is going to have some snow soon, and is not happy about those white flies in the air.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Freezing rain in the forecast, actually. I may have to drive especially carefully tonight.

TNP won a little money on the Super Bowl.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I was shocked, shocked I tell you that the Pats won. I suppose betting on the spread could have yielded something (probably not great odds — the Rams were pretty strong, I suppose, going in), but I would be shocked to learn of illegal sports betting in many states of the USA.

TNP knows or used to know someone who was a pretty pathological football bettor.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, in fact I can't think of anybody even mentioning that they bet on football.

TNP knows more than one functioning alcoholic.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. I won't name names, but I know one person who is able to function, albeit with some diminished capacity, despite a high intake. Wm Burroughs is a good example of someone who was able to stay a functional heroin addict for most of his life. Probably also Dr. John. Ray Charles could be an example of a famous functioning alcohol user for many years as well. Former US President Eisenhower was probably also what one could call an "alcoholic," in terms of being able and willing to drink heavily, and he seemed to do OK.

TNP is unreasonably upset by people who try to make fancy-sounding claims about high-status cultural knowledge and yet are completely wrong: IOW, people who try to use knowledge as a bludgeon of snobbery, and can't even get it right.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 05 Feb 2019 at 09:19 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I find it more mildly annoying than unreasonably upsetting, so no.

TNP would like to feel warm sand between his or her toes right now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, that would be OK.

TNP would even more like to feel a cold tropical drink between their lips right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. In fact, the chilled white wine I'm having right now probably would count if I stuck a little umbrella in it and called it something fruity.

TNP had a ginger beer (non-alcoholic or alcohol-containing) and thought it was delicious.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Many years ago, but yes.

TNP hates Guinness Stout, as I do.

Registered
    Jul 2013

???? Does not compute!!! That's a negative. I can drink that stuff for hours. It is one of the rich Corinthian leathers of beers! Not that there aren't other good stouts, porters, or cream ales, but Guinness is reliable, especially on tap if some knuckle-knob isn't pouring it.

TNP has had enough ultra-hoppy IPAs to have become resistant to drinking it again.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Maybe...it's certainly not something I'm craving lately.

TNP thinks it's kind of amusing that the Old Fashioned has been old fashioned for well over a century, and is still going strong.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes. A radio station in Canton, Ohio has been "the all-new WHBC" for decades now.

TNP thinks newness, as such, is overrated in American culture.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. At least if what you call newness is what I think of as techno-gadget-fetishism, then yes. Moore's Law can suck my dick.

TNP has, nevertheless, bought some inexpensive electrical equipment recently and is considering another such purchase in the next year. Even though such equipment could probably be built on Gilligan's Island on a larger and slower scale.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I bought a cheapo pair of headphones for my iPod, because I didn't have time to go someplace to get a better (and more expensive) pair. I'll buy the latter before too long, I'm sure.

TNP wouldn't visit Gilligan's Island back in the day under any circumstances.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I'd go. The people who visited always got off fine, it was just the castaways who were stuck.

TNP knows what Gilligan's Island and the Brady Bunch have in common.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I couldn't say. They both featured some pretty mediocre actors (Russell Johnson, Robert Reed, Tina Louise), as well as some pretty brazen stoners (Dawn Wells, Dobie Gillis, and that Barry Williams [?]...probably Jim Backus was no stranger to the devil's lettuce, but he could have just been naturally a comedic maniac).

TNP would likely not have survived puberty living in the Brady house, having fled to a life on the streets, male prostitution, and various drug habits at age thirteen or so.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, I think I would've been OK, notwithstanding my deeply-rooted, soul-destroying envy of Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!

TNP thought Marcia was pretty cute.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, pretty cute indeed.

TNP preferred Barbara on One Day at a Time

Registered
    Sep 2009

[Checks Wiki article, because I don't remember the characters' names] True.

TNP knew that Valerie Bertinelli sometimes appears on cooking shows these days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I think I remember hearing that somewhere.

TNP has been obliged to stand outside in sub-optimal weather, while being taunted by some seputagenarian who apparently ate too much of the brown acid.

OR, equivalently, TNP has had to attempt to be diplomatic to some crazy old fuck while in inclement weather.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fortunately not.

TNP has been outside for more than half an hour today.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, thank God, since a storm's coming.

TNP has never done acid, brown or otherwise.

Registered
    Jul 2013

False. I love the stuff, but it's much harder to find than mushrooms where I live now. ETA, not that there's anything wrong with mushrooms, just I find that it's a little more lugubrious experience and more suited to a party-type social situation. Sort of like MDMA, in that respect. I prefer good clean acid, but it's always been harder to find than just some mushrooms, which are pretty easy to home-grow and everyone knows somebody who can have. One thing I have not tried is taking like a quarter of mushrooms at once — instead of the usual eighth.

TNP is convinced the human mind is the most fascinating structure of the natural world, in its robust, resilient system of redundancies and in its abilities to store complex formations of associations, and, occasionally, some novelties. You know, attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, and all that.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 12 Feb 2019 at 09:57 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It is a remarkable organic machine, to be sure.

TNP thinks AI will ultimately be a threat to humanity.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Not at all. What's called "machine learning" or generally "AI" is based on relatively crude systems of dividing and categorizing data (well, "relative" compared to foundational studies in mathematics — complexity theory, as in some genetic algorithms, is a bit beyond the ken of "regular" linear algebra, multivariate calculus, and all of the stochastic groundwork shared between statistics/probability theory and formal language theory). There's no computational model of the human psyche, regardless of promising advances in fMRI and other tools. ETA, but, depending on how one reads the question, the field known as "AI," and its marketeers, might well be a threat to both humanity itself and, perhaps more importantly, contribute to the diminution of studies of human consciousness.

TNP regards, however, those who mistakenly tout machine learning as a paradigm-shifting advancement (instead of as an academic vector for future research, or as a useful adjunct to productivity in commerce) as possibly dangerous. On the order of Gilded Age robber barons, or something.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 12 Feb 2019 at 10:15 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

On balance, I would say not.

TNP has seen at least three of the 2018 movies nominated for a Best Picture Oscar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/91st_A...s_and_nominees

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nope, not one.

TNP thinks that every year, there are fewer and fewer reasons to watch the Oscars.

Registered
    Jul 2013

True, but then again, I've never found a reason to watch it. At best knowing some trivia about how many awards Ebeneezer Sneeze won seventy years ago is the only use I've had for the award.

TNP has never watched a single "Grammys" award show.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Correct. Just excerpts here or there (like Kanye West barging up on stage).

TNP has received an award of some kind in the past five years.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Not anything significant, but just some "atta boy" bullshit from the Company.

TNP would never dream of following traffic offenders at a safe, menacing distance through their circuitous paths, similar to the truck driver following Dennis Weaver in the movie Duel. Because that would be too much fun, and TNP doesn't like fun.

+ Reply to thread