+ Reply to thread
Page 201 of 204 FirstFirst ... 101 151 191 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,050 of 10166

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, sometimes. Recently I've been saying "Soitenly!" like Curly from The Three Stooges when someone thanks me.

TNP loves TTS.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, sure! Even more enthusiastically, yes. I unironically love Ted Healy and his Stooges.

TNP can name off the top of his or her head three famous entertainers (no, politicians don't count) who swapped the birth name "Horowitz" (or "Horvitz," or whatever transliteration) for something else. And will do so. In TNPost.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm, no. Vladimir Horowitz, the great pianist, kept the name; I don't think I know of anyone who swapped it for something else.

TNP, however, can name three who did.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I guess. Winona Ryder née Horowitz, and Moe, Curly, Shemp Horwitz.

TNP would refuse to submit to last-minute demands for, for example, a random UA test on one's weekend, knowing that the consequences comprise only an extension of the "treatment." For the reason that one is or should be unwilling to reschedule weekend plans and subject oneself to a regimen of systemic dehydration in order to satisfy the lab requirements for a "non-dilute" sample. And, yes, today happens to be an important day in many Xian liturgical calendars.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, sure, why not?

TNP ate a chocolate bunny (or more) on Easter Sunday.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, but did have some M & Ms.

TNP has a favourite type of M & M.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I really don't think the different colors taste differently. I do prefer peanut to plain, though.

TNP thinks the cashew is the most wonderful edible small nut in the world.

Registered
    Jul 2013

They're pretty good, no doubt about it.

But has one ever had a cashew apple? You know, the big pseudo-fruit which bears the cashew nut? Free to those who can afford it, very expensive to those who cannot.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have not, but maybe TNP has?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not this NP! I rather doubt most nobody has had no cashew apple these parts. Very fragile and delicate.

TNP thinks there's not a good day goes by without at least a passing admiration of some aspect of one's preferred gender, especially if the person to whom that aspect belongs is not a regular intimate. A little harmless zest without lechery, if one will.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, definitely. "A pretty girl is like a melody...." I'm always happy to see one, even as I behave, of course, like a perfect gentleman.

TNP is in the mood for pizza.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually, sort of. After a bag of potato chips ("Tim's Smoked Gouda Thins") trying to chug this disgusting magnum of Liberty Creek cabernet sauvignon (mixed with water and electrolyte powder....I could have a random EtG UA as early as Tuesday, so have to get rid of it).

Yeah, a pizza probably could be good. Either that or slice open a baguette, douse it with olive oil, and loads of garlic and cook it. Either way, same thing, pretty much. Bread, spices, fat, hot.

TNP has recently cleaned some dust off (or in as well, using an electronic contact cleaner...optional!) a piece of equipment or furniture, and was surprised (and displeased) by how dusty things can get.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, my car key fob, when I changed the battery. A whole lotta pocket lint had accumulated in there.

TNP has changed a battery lately.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Half of my life is spent recharging batteries or figuring out ways to recharge them in an expeditious manner. Don't even talk to me about batteries! So, I suppose the answer is "Yes." I literally cannot enter and start my vehicle in order to work without the use of these bastard batteries.

TNP has ever woken up in the morning, took a good long look in the mirror prior to shaving and donning the attire, and just said out loud, "No."

Registered
    Sep 2009

LOL. No, I've looked askance at myself, but I've never said out loud, "No."

TNP owns a pink shirt.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Uhhh.....yeah, I think I do. It's kind of a pink dress shirt with a subtle checkered pattern. Maybe more if I I count T-shirts or something....not sure. I do have three red button-up "dress" shirts, though...Pentecost is a coming, don'tcha know? Red's sort of pink, innit?

TNP thinks a day without wearing red undershorts is like a day without sunshine! Gotta have it!

Registered
    Sep 2009

If that's true, then I've been in the dark for a very, very long time.

TNP needs some chocolate, stat.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, been cutting way, way, back.

TNP needs a haircut.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, probably. I usually get one at the start of each month, and it's just about time.

TNP has read Replay by Ken Grimwood, a very cool sf book about living your life over and over.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No I have not! It does sound intriguing, but my book pile is pretty full up at the moment, unfortunately (depending on how one looks at it!)

TNP thinks it's perfectly fine to leave an outgoing voicemail message that says: "The personal voicemail box belonging to <insert name> closes at 1700 every day, and I can be reached after 1100 the following day via telephone. I can be reached at <insert company>'s Chime or internal e-mail at any time in case of emergency." (Knowing full well that any friends or family have access to a separate phone number). Just to keep the wolves, real or imaginary, at bay. Or at least thinks that's a reasonably clever way to avoid dealing with people/companies who have specific instructions to never contact me after 1700.

Corollary: TNP is still confounded by those who think using 24-hour time all day, every day, is somehow odd or confusing.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, that'd be fine with me, although some people seem to get flummoxed by the use of military time.

TNP has used the word "Zulu" to refer to GMT.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All the time. Don't know why, exactly, but my favorite watch has a GMT subdial I think of as "Zulu dial," because it's shorter for the voice in my head to "pronounce." When absolutely necessary, though, I'll say "Greenwich Mean Time" if I'm pointlessly nerding out about time to somebody who probably doesn't know the terms UTC or Zulu time.

TNP has a strong preference for either (i) cloth/nylon strap (for example, a NATO strap) (ii) leather band (iii) metal bracelet (iv) other when it comes to watch bands. And will say what that preference is!

Registered
    Sep 2009

I long preferred a leather band as being the classiest option, but I have to admit I haven't worn a watch for the past few years. These days I just look at my cellphone if I need the time.

TNP has special plans for Mother's Day.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sort of. I texted my mom and said blah blah all that this morning! Also we were missing at work several of my coworkers who are young mothers (I did *not* say MILF! they are valued coworkers and friends!)....which sucked, because two of them happen to be some of the strongest coworkers. So that "plan" resulted in my getting stuck with a total of three competent coworkers.

(Aside: yeah, I guess leather bands are more formal than metal bracelets. That seems clear....still....I don't get the whole "dragging the cellphone out of a pocket to see what time it is" vs just a discreet glance at one's wrist! Well, like someone told Jack Burton once, the world is not here for me to "get.")

TNP has about had it with stinkbugs coming out of dormancy and appearing unbidden in one's car, for example, or elsewhere. No, I don't mean box elder bugs/maple seed bugs, which are equally annoying, but stink bugs. And houseflies, as well. Could do without, TNP could!

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've only seen a stinkbug or two here in recent years, and they're easily caught and released outside. They've actually never made a stink around me, and I kinda like their angular, alien shape.

TNP is looking forward to a new movie in the next week or two.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really. Not that I can think of off-hand...maybe something I forgot about. I'm more looking forward to when HBO Max "Max" fixes their server issues and lets me log in and see the series finale of the show Barry.

TNP thinks it might be worth saving $64 USD (including shipping, all that) for a set of handmade reproduction Hammond organ bass pedals with MIDI capabilities to go for a 16-pedal unit, versus a 24-pedal unit. Given that jazz on the Hammond organ, the bass is used in a fairly limited sense to a restricted set of lower tones.

OTOH, bigger is better!

vs

Registered
    Sep 2009

If that's what you want, I'd say go for it! "Bigger is better" is not always the wisest approach to things, but sometimes it is.

For a good recent organ piece, TNP can think of few better than Booker T. Jones's "The Cool Dude":

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. From 2000, when it seems that was recorded to now, there have been a handful of remarkable Hammond organ recordings, but none "better." Certainly not better. Nobody who plays the organ (you know, in a jazz/pop way) today would dare make the claim that they could smoke Booker T! Can't be done! That would be to laugh!

TNP has a slight preference for jazz guitar played by the greatest of the classic players to that of the great saxophone players. Based purely on tone and various musical/idiomatic things that are possible on each instrument.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I played the alto sax in junior high and still love the sound.

TNP has a musical instrument, at least as big as a clarinet, in the house right now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I guess the keyboard, which mostly use as a desk, counts.

TNP has an opinion about what the best gin is.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure! Whatever costs the most, probably!

TNP can answer the same about Scotch whiskies (too large a variance among different styles, so let's say within one region/style).

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I don't have all that sophisticated a palate when it comes to hard liquor. I am partial to Johnnie Walker Black Label, however, as I've written here before.

TNP has drunk eggnog other than in December.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No! Too....eggy....or something. I have had cheap whiskey mixed with orange juice recently, though! That's sort of the same thing, I guess. (Well, in my mind it is....it's festive or something).

(Nothing wrong with Johnnie Black! I wouldn't say my palate for Irish and Scotches is anything extraordinary, but I've been up and down the shelves pretty thoroughly and am never disappointed in the "smoky Johnnie"!)

TNP would ever consider taking a job that starts at 0120 (in the morning), if the rewards were exceptional enough (within reason).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Probably not now that I'm old, but sure, when I was young.

TNP has had a recent change in their sleep patterns.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I should regularly be going to bed sooner than I have been lately.

TNP has seen an IMAX movie in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I've seen a laser light show or several when I was a kid in high-school. Don't know or care anything about IMAX or 3D and stuff. Just the facts. Ever since William Castle left the scene, nothing can tingle me.

TNP has a good suggestion for comfortable shoes that are not (a) slip-on loafers (these Lands' End suede shoes are OK, but apt to introduce bits of debris between the inner sole and the foot) (b) sneakers (c) can be worn with jeans, but aren't sneakers or trail runners.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm, no, I don't think I can. Nothing that meets all of your criteria.

TNP is really tired right now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Pretty much always.

TNP has been having really bizarre dreams, pretty much every night.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, relatively rarely. My dreams are more often only slightly odd, or even pleasant.

TNP has dreamed of falling in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, close enough, I've had nightmares (not true "night terrors") about various scenarios at work now and in the near projected future.

TNP could probably be a little nicer when "reminding" coworkers of how it is, but does not think carrot is better than stick in terms of motivating or informing people of proper conduct. Because, of course, once everyone knows about standard procedure, they'll obviously adhere to my standards, provided they've been given the lash and a strong directive with no fancy talk.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I'll go with the carrot just about every time. But if discipline must be imposed, it should be stepped and appropriate to the infraction.

TNP is a little chilly right now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

A bit, yeah. Air conditioning is pretty cool in the home office.

TNP is going through more than usual stress, either home or work.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yep. You name it: ludicrous pissing matches among frenemies and straight-up enemies at work. Covering for the "shop foreman" (more or less that's what you'd call the job) tomorrow and the day after....involves a bunch of kind of irritating paperwork/spreadsheet work/sending data via the company's proprietary messaging application....as well some simple physical tasks (various things, checking DOT certifications for various drivers, &c.)

Among other various stressors.

TNP has recently, perhaps unwisely, gone on a pretty medium-sized shopping spree at a retailer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Actually, I did, at a Brooks Brothers outlet store that I don't often get to, several hours' drive from here. Got some shirts and other stuff for a good price.

TNP has at least one Brooks Brothers item in his or her closet.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, afraid not. There is not only an outlet near-ish me, as well as at least one retail store, but word on the street is that one should be cautious and watch for the good stuff from Brooks Brothers. I been more after shoes lately, because I'm secretly a lady who enjoys good footwear.

TNP will name one good thing and one bad thing about wearing slip-on shoes (loafers, moccasins, Chelsea boots, whatever). Outside shoes, you know. TNP must say both good and bad! Extra points for example(s).

Registered
    Sep 2009

One good thing: they're easy to slip off and on under your desk, where no one can see you letting your feet breathe a bit. One bad thing: sometimes they can be too casual for the occasion (although I suppose that's true of any shoes).

TNP has at least three pairs of slip-on shoes of any kind.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I guess. Some OK Chelsea boots, some nice suede loafers (OK, for lounging around, but not really for walking, even on sidewalks....grit finds its way inside the shoe which is unpleasant), and a few pairs of black leather slip-on shoes with no adornments. I particularly like this new pair of Florsheim Chelsea boots, since the shape of the last/sole/whatever they call it is suitable for punching out basslines on the Hammond organ pedals. Some people wear socks or barefoot, but my feet are so beat up that I can't do it without shoes....probably lose a toe or something.

TNP doesn't consider an object/tool/whatever fully complete, once owned, unless it is accompanied by a proper case for it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

That's often for the best, yes.

TNP saw a seagull today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative! There was a bird flew into my delivery station and one of my bosses (I'm filling in for his right-hand man somewhat often these days) during a quiet moment of staring at spreadsheets asked, "Hey, John, can you catch a bird?" Never saw it, though. Put gloves on tried to stalk this imaginary bird, though.

TNP has ever woken up and found a couple of mice (even just one will can't) either drowned or struggling to escape (or both!) in a water glass on one's desk (or wherever).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fortunately not. I've found a few caught overnight in our floor or countertop kitchen traps, though.

TNP thinks a spider may have bitten him or her overnight while sleeping.

+ Reply to thread