+ Reply to thread
Page 195 of 204 FirstFirst ... 95 145 185 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... LastLast
Results 9,701 to 9,750 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Damn straight. No one should lose their job for fulfilling their civic duty. (If this really happened, I suggest you or the coworker let the judge know right away).

TNP owns at least six JFK half-dollars.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I haven't had any of those cross my palms in a few decades or so. Certainly didn't save any, in their physical form.

TNP is agnostic on the idea that "cash is king" for tipping servers, but is still somewhat OK with using plastic for just about everything except, maybe, coin-op pool tables.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, pretty much. Even pre-Covid I was using plastic for just about everything.

TNP has walked around on a battleship.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Possibly. They have a "fleet week" or used to around here when I was a kid, and some of the junior officers seemed pretty stoked to be showing the gewgaws and doodads to kids on a weekend.

TNP is or would be pretty stoked to be hitched up to a K-5 school teacher of breeding age.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If I weren't married, and if she were smart and cute, definitely!

TNP had a serious crush on one of his or her teachers while in elementary school.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Absolutely not.

TNP keeps a bunch of pictures/photographs around or knows somebody who does.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I definitely do. I have... lemme see... five small framed pictures of my wife and sons within arm's reach at this very moment.

TNP's parents are both still alive.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. The eldest of my literal namesake is not in the tip-top of shape, but I hope he doesn't bring my eternally frazzled and stressed-out mother down with him. They're not even, neither of them, even in their seventies yet.

TNP has recently been extremely pissed off at a woman of no blood relation to him or her.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not too recently, no, but there have certainly been times in the past (especially with one of my two older sisters).

TNP has read Frank Herbert's Dune in the past year.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, not since I was a teenager.

TNP can’t imagine going to the movies in the near future.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative. I'd do it any time, but I don't see what there is out there. For example, I learned here that there's some James Bond movie out...meh,..hard pass for me. And the other day I heard there's some new Spider Man picture out. Also, meh. Excuse my language, but it's like screwing some broad, you know: I don't need to see that shit in a theater. I already been to see movies.

TNP thinks a date to see a picture is just fine when one is accustomed to one another's company and can really get down in the back rows, but is not so good for a first date.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Depends on the movie and the other person, but I think it's OK for a first date generally.

TNP has had Ethiopian food in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative, Colonel. Not for a long time. I think the most recent time was when a young coworker offered to share some of the lunch his mother packed for him. Good stuff, although very different than what you find in restaurants.

TNP has had a boil/furuncle and found it to be a pain...in the ass...or wherever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, a small one, a long time ago. Not pleasant, but not the end of the world, either.

TNP went to the library today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Haven't left the house since Saturday except to get groceries across the street.....and a bottle of Teeling Single Grain Irish. The only possible road to the main road has been covered in ice and has been impassible without studded tires AFAIC, given the grade of the hill, and the main road itself has been on "active snow zone" alert, meaning only vehicles with traction devices are legally allowed to drive on it. With a very few short exceptions in the past few days, it's not been possible to navigate the roads.

TNP is getting religious, or already is, about changing automobile engine oil every 5000 miles, ideally with full synthetic.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've always been pretty good about that, so no, not "getting religious" about it.

TNP has seen a muddy dog today.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

I actually had one run up to me today. Very happy pupper.

TNP has recently had an erotic dream about Ted Danson.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeesh. Thank God, no. I never have and I hope I never will.

TNP thinks Ted Danson did the best acting of his career on the miniseries Fargo.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah. Not that I've seen *Fargo*, but how can one top *Becker*? Exactly! Can't be done!

TNP will finish this list of Irish whiskeys starting with Green Spot (actually a very interesting whiskey, which escapes the triple distilled curse of the bland Irishes), Redbreast 12, ............

Registered
    Sep 2009

...Dublin Gold? Limerick Black Reserve? Dunno. Not an Irish whiskey guy.

TNP has big plans for the weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. Working a sixth day tomorrow, probably hang out at "the bar" for a bit afterwards (grab a bite to eat, a few ciders, maybe a game of pool or two). Then start the week as usual on zero dark thirty Sunday morning, which will be a slight challenge if they still have the access road to St. John's Bridge closed for the ride in and out to the industrial region (maybe they'll finally fix some of those potholes! it's fucking hell on the alignment, major route for freight trailers on the move).

TNP knows at least two people who are all-in for Green Bay this NFL season.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I probably do but don't know it. I don't talk football with many people.

TNP has actually seen the Packers play at home.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Not only that, but I have never seen an NFL game live at any time, ever. Only TV/radio/print.

TNP can name a genre (or sub-genre, maybe) of music that he or she has recently "discovered." And if true, will do name it!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sort of. This Lebanese singer is featured in the movie Only Lovers Left Alive, and I'd never heard of her before, or this kind of Arabic love song. I really like it:

TNP likes vampire movies.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I go me some vampire movies. No doubt. Some better than others, of course, but it's a deep corpus.

TNP is one chill mofo on the highways, not be forgetting turn signals, nor any camping out in the passing lane: right speed, at the right time, and no fooling around.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I'm a safe driver, all in all. Been years (knock wood) since I was in an accident.

TNP will be binging on a TV show this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. <checks in daily log> However, I've heard yesterday good things about this show on NetFlix called, apparently, Archive 84. Shan't binge it, though: too much other stuff to watch, plus eye fatigue from looking at stuff most days.

TNP has lost his or her patience with younger "people" and the services that specialize in catering to them. And will explain.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I'm not quite to that stage of Old Farthood yet. Some young people annoy me, true, but then, so do some old people and some middle-aged people.

Hadn't heard of that show before - I think you may have the title slightly wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archive_81

TNP has read about Woodrow Wilson in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I have not, but I would like to. I've heard about Wilson! (!) (ty for the emendation about the TV show....looking at ... oh.....when writing in longhand, the numeral "1" looks quite a bit like the numeral "4"....anyway, it was just something I jotted down from somebody I was chatting with yesterday.)

Recommendations W_Wilson?

TNP thinks writing "intelligenti pauca, sic semper porcis" would be pretty fly to write on the "tip" line of a restaurant bill to someone whom one really despised.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Google Translate gave me "One who understands a few things, so always the pigs," which might not be quite what you meant. I have to admit I've never written anything in Latin in lieu of giving a tip; might have to try that sometime.

I highly recommend this one-volume Wilson bio, which is generally admiring while also conceding his many flaws and mistakes (especially on racial issues, for mishandling the League of Nations, and for not resigning when he was clearly disabled and not up to the job): https://www.amazon.com/Woodrow-Wilso...53263844&psc=1

TNP thinks I should cut Wilson some slack, Jack.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Probably. There is a very nice avenue in Paris, FR named after him. So Wilson's got that going for him. I still blame Wilson in part for his "nativist" role in the temperance movement, but I only know the broad strokes of his political life and the cultural climate at the time.

[Um, I don't know about Google Translate, but generally "intelligenti pauca" is understood as "small [things] to the wise," (I think Stendhal was the one to come up with that one) and "porcis" is meant to be the dative plural of "pig." No, it turned out I didn't owe her anything, or more likely she was like "meh, a few beers, forget about it, not worth the effort," but what I would have put on the tip line is just the simpler "pauca porcis," which I would just translate as "small [things] to pigs." Very crass and impolite, however.]

TNP thinks there's probably a good age to stop chasing poontang 24-7, but recognizes that it is simply impossible.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty much. When a heterosexual man loses interest in beautiful women, it's definitely not a good sign.

TNP loves hearing Nina Simone singing "Take Care of Business":

Registered
    Jul 2013

I do now! Don't remember ever having heard that one before.

TNP agrees that the "rules of engagement" concerning women at the workplace include that one should not approach one's prey with the sole intention of making conversation with her. However, any and all other forms of verbal contact, professional or not, are allowed and encouraged. This is particularly important when handling younger women who may be a bit timid or less socially adept, when compared to older women, as well as compared to the would-be Nimrod himself, whose confidence, aplomb, and experience are nonpareil.

Registered
    Sep 2009

To the extent I understood all that, yes, I agree (although "prey" isn't quite how I see them).

TNP saw two hawks, a woodpecker and a bright red cardinal today, as I did.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hell no. I wish I did. Pretty sure I saw a fairly impressive hawk of some kind out of the clear blue of the Western skies this afternoon, though. Pretty cool.

TNP thinks it would be hilarious to say over a two-way radio in response to a request for assistance (when one is literally occupied with other tasks): "Yeah, Jerry will handle it, he's right there." Knowing full well that this entity, although fully capable of performing this task, would likely refuse or pretend to not hear. And TNP actually does or would do this kind of forced delegation/public shaming to similar sacks of dirt.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If it was funny enough at the time, of course.

TNP has had people paged at airports using funny names or titles.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Not me, but that used to be favorite of the "funny uncle" along with pretending to "walk" up the escalators in the wrong direction. Yes, I do remember the phones with which one could command an operator to do one's bidding.

TNP is about this far from breaking a foot off up in the ass of a scumbag coworker, and the recipient damned well knows it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fortunately not.

TNP would almost certainly have succumbed to Lisztomania, back in the day:

And see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisztomania

Registered
    Jul 2013

No sir. Not really my guy, although I appreciate and reward some of his florurishes by playing his stuff. Comme il faut.

TNP thinks hamburgers are the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Some nutritious dinners, yes, but not for breakfast for me, ever, thanks. If I have breakfast at all (usually I just drink a little orange juice), I'll have scrambled eggs, or an omelet, or pancakes, or waffles, with a generous side of either sausage or bacon, please.

TNP could go for some of that right about now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. I never cook or eat breakfast at home, but I'll sometimes order two eggs, over hard, wheat toast, potatoes, bacon, and sometimes ask for hot sauce at a local dive, usually after work in the mid-morning/early afternoon. Along with the usual beers and Black Bushes or Johnny Blacks. It's wholesome fare, and, depending on who's in the kitchen or at the bar, they'll sometimes really load you up on the bacon, beyond any good reason.

Yeah, I could eat something like that most any time. Including now.

TNP finds that the best times to eat and drink at a bar are prior to eleven AM or so...no college kids lurking around, usually quiet, and mostly people getting off work or inveterate gamblers.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, when it comes to bars, I'm strictly an after-dark kinda guy.

TNP is expecting at least 6 inches of snow to fall on his or her locality in the next 24 hours.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, thank god, we’ve had a ton already.

TNP is noticing the days getting longer, and appreciates some hope of spring.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No and yes, respectively.

TNP could go for a grilled cheese sandwich right about now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Probably. I'd go for a quarter pound of Roquefort and some decent crackers, though, if we're talking cheeses and cooked grains. I like the "toasted cheese sandwiches" very well indeed, but they remind me of Norma Bates.

TNP: no tomato soup, ever! Nor any wire hangers, ever, for that matter.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I like tomato soup a lot, and had some just last night, as it happens. Tomato, chicken noodle, clam chowder (New England style, of course) and lobster bisque are my all-time favorite soups. And yes, I use wire hangers sometimes. Don't you judge me!

TNP has read some Jane Austen in the past twelve months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, probably. She's a good old gal IMHO.

TNP has never run into any problems referring to friendly acquaintances as "my gals," at work or perhaps elsewhere: nobody's taken offense, IOW.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I haven't said it, so no, no problems.

TNP has exchanged business cards with someone in the past week.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Leaving aside that I have been working from home for almost two years, I haven’t given out a lot of business cards in the past decade.

TNP figures they have enough business cards and business suits to get them through the rest of their life.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Could be. Just possibly.

TNP has read something about Winston Churchill recently.

+ Reply to thread