+ Reply to thread
Page 167 of 204 FirstFirst ... 67 117 157 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 177 ... LastLast
Results 8,301 to 8,350 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

A few months back, yes. All's well, fortunately.

TNP is particularly careful to use sunscreen in the summer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My wife would say I'm pretty casual about it, and she's probably right.

TNP can remember when having a tan was a sign of good health.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, yes, and as a kid it was fun to peel away the dead skin from a sunburn.

TNP has seen a sunburned kid in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not unless one has very expansive definition of "kid."

TNP fucking hates that stupid damned bars have the fucking Little League goddamned bullshit on the TV. Goddamned fucking bullshit, who wants to watch that fucking bullshit? No one!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely. Unless you personally have a kid playing, who gives a damn?

TNP plans to travel overseas by the end of the year.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Within a certain definition of of "overseas", since will be on a cruise stopping in, eg, the British Virgin Islands.

TNP kind of dislikes August, which is theoretically summer but mostly seems to be about summer ending.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, it's not my favorite month, that's for sure. It's also usually too hot around here.

TNP has come to appreciate air conditioning more and more with each passing year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I've made up my mind, and while I'm not insensible to the drier, cool air, whether in a car or a residence, I prefer feeling more connected to the outside world. Particular in the car — I don't like driving around in a little bubble. I like hearing the road, other vehicles, being able to stick my head out the window for added visibility, or to wave someone along at a stop sign. TBH, I don't care for ambient noises from out my dwelling (actually, I hate most everything I hear out my windows when open, which is almost always, because, fresh air and whatever). But I don't mind the heat or humidity so much at home: dress sensibly, hydrate like a motherfuck, get some flowing air with real good fans, it's alright.

TNP really could use a vacation. Just to clear one's head, and just not do much of anything. A little R&R.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I wouldn't mind that, but I had some time off not too long ago, so for now I'm OK.

TNP has heard a police siren in the past hour.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I can't be 100% sure, but I live near two busy roads and near a hospital, too boot. I really just tune out various sirens, don't hardly notice. Just part of the soundscape.

TNP really doesn't approve of setting up new phones and shit. At least other forms of computers have less primitive input/output devices, but it's a real drag to be like "swiping" left or whatever and have very few options except to use the stupid screens and stuff.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, deep down sometimes I really feel like a Luddite.

TNP knows at least three people under age 30 without a smartphone.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I am aquainted with an absolute shitload of youngsters at work. I don't even think I've even heard of somebody — I'll broaden the scope, neither young nor old — who doesn't have a smartphone. Just seems to be the way it is, at least from people I see around. They are pretty damned handy — maybe not mega-more than a regular old mobile phone, but no carrier I ever heard of will even activate an older phone. Maybe one of those Cricket old people phones, or some prepaid thing, probably.

TNP can give someone good advice about getting over a woman who said she'd be your friend, and just ghosted you, while remaining in close contact with others. Yeah, I know, the standard thing, just let it go, but at least TNP can understand how disappointing it is to be lied to. Donwannamax, girl? Cool, everything's chill, we go our separate ways. But the deception is really upsetting. Disappointing, really. Depressing, even.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No particularly good advice, except that a person may decide for all kinds of reasons not to have anything to do with someone who is into them, and you shouldn't take it personally. And "plenty of fish in the sea" and all that.

TNP has been fishing in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. It's been a long, long time. I think the last fish I caught was...I forgot what they're called, but they supposedly taste awful. People just throw them back. Nasty looking fish, too.

No, I don't care that she's not "into me," I care that she doesn't want to be friends with me. I can keep it in my pants and we still could have had fun together in a non-romantic way. That's plenty for me. Don't need to count notches on my bed frame. Would I have tried to get a little intimate with her, if appropriate? Of course, in the right time and place, but that's not a big deal how that turns out. Shocking, and incredibly hurtful.

TNP has had a lot of days recently when one is surprised to have both begun and ended the day in one piece. For whatever reasons, fatigue, utter ennui, whatever it may be.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not lately, no, fortunately.

TNP has heard a Bach violin concerto in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I don't believe I've listened to any Bach recordings at all in the last week. That, plus, I just don't really care for the violin, especially in an orchestral setting.

TNP thinks losing hope, even if it's a delusion, is a very bad thing, especially when it involves things out of one's control, like, for example, other people.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, all hope is basically a delusion, but if you lose it, you're done.

TNP thinks Housman was pretty much on the mark with that whole malt, Milton thing.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Heh. Yeah. I had to look it up, which was a bit of a wound to my pride, since I thought I knew AE Housman (at least his Shropshire Lad) pretty well. I can't get on board with Ango-American poets who sometimes claim Milton was one of the worst influences on the English language (TS Eliot, I think, was the most famous to hold this view), and doubly so since IIRC Milton was known to have a tipple or two now and again, along with other reputed vices, but that's a good one. In fact, I shan't be tossing out my volumes of Milton's poetry and his prose anytime soon, but I don't dip back into his well often, if at all.

TNP considers disloyalty among friends to be the worst, non-criminal act, one such person could do.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, it's pretty bad.

TNP needs some rainy Blade Runner ambient noise right about now:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, no, but I'd give it the most qualified 'yes' I can to the suggestion. I mean by that that it's not the worst idea I've heard all day. Not a good idea, but it's among the least worst. And, trust me, I've heard or witnessed some extremely bad ideas.

TNP considers himself or herself to be a pretty adept master of indicating mockery, scorn, and maybe even happy stuff with just using his or her facial expressions. In fact, TNP would find it very difficult to communicate without the use of his or her face. In fact, TNP would not like it at all, and would rather be confined to a bed or such than be deprived of such a sensitive, expressive set of tissues.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ETA by that I mean ideas I heard, saw, or perhaps did today. It's not even in the top ten of least worst ideas of all time, it's just pretty not bad for today, is all.

Registered
    Sep 2009

My face is certainly an important part of how I communicate with other people nearby, but I've found I'm not often misunderstood in my online dealings.

TNP will be going to a picnic this weekend.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, can't remember I was the last time I was at something that deserved to be called a picnic.

TNP is going to a ballgame this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. It would be among the top least worst ideas, but unfortunately, this isn't the town to be in for live baseball.

TNP can already feel the pulse of his or town getting "ready for some football!"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, the usual suspects are getting fired up.

TNP owns an article of clothing supporting or in the colors of a favorite pro sports team.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Probably, but if it is, I'm not aware of it. Probably some team, somewhere, I guess. Who knows.

TNP thinks that canned corned beef hash is both (i) resembling rubber dog-shit flown out of a plane from Hong Kong (ii) acceptable as a meal (when reconstituted, properly heated, and whatever else).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not sure if I've ever actually seen any, but I suspect (i) more than (ii) to be true.

TNP has used GPS in the past three days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I would say "yes," but it's more in the sense of having it used on or with me. I find far less information with that wizardry than with just a regular map. I don't need it, I don't consciously use it, but obviously devices in my employ or in my vicinity have used the technology. Fine with me, I don't care, but do I need to be reminded how to compass and map? No. ETA, However, I see the use for computing and displaying pretty wild itineraries. No, I'm not a professional driver, so I don't need that, but probably hundreds of the dozens of people you see on the highways in daily life are using not just GPS satellites, but also various properietary interfaces. Adjust by orders of magnitude as you see fit, but it is indeed like that.

I propose to TNP two alternatives: (i) TNP is already resigned to watching the good version of A Christmas Carol (with George C. Scott), and is sort of like, "meh, well, whatever, 'tis the season, fuck you all, I don't care" (ii)TNP has a pretty extreme preference to being given clear directions IRL, like "you know, head north on I-whatever, then after about a few hundred meters, look for such-and-such place, then head east." What I mean is it doesn't have to be exact, just use the right words, like those magic incantations "north south east west" or "meters/yards," not none of that stupid-ass shit like "durr, google-me?"

EETA Sure, here's a lagniappe. TNP knows either what "ball lightning" is or just plain doesn't give a shit.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 16 Aug 2019 at 08:47 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I know what ball lightning is, but have never seen any in person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

TNP, like me, doesn't wanna watch Christmas movies in August.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure, but neither do I want to listen to people yap about football in July or August neither. Either way, if that's what the people want, then, that's just jim dandy with me from jam handy.

TNP thinks one of his or her best gestures is to gaze nominally and terminally in the direction of someone's eyes and give the appearance of them not existing. Like a RL "ghosting," but, you know, TNP is pretty good at it IRL. I know I am, but it took a while to learn. ETA There's not really a "trick," it's more just unfocusing one's eyes (assuming one has two) while looking directly at someone else. It's an extremely aggressive, bush-league tactic, IMHO, but OTOH it's still useful for navigating crowds of, I don't know, like panhandlers and stuff. There's a bit of an art to "looking through" someone IRL, but for kids at home, don't do it unless you intentionally want to start some shit.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 17 Aug 2019 at 01:42 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I'm sure I couldn't do that nearly as well as you, Jizz.

TNP had some ginger ale today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Having some American ale from out of the Hartz mountains of Milwaukee, I guess, so pretty much not really the same.

TNP has ever felt sorry for the person writing a "Dear John" letter. You know, the kind where some little person is all like thinking and shit and says a bunch of stuff, like they have some emotions or whatever, but the summary is "you and I shan't be socializing." Like, "dude, sorry your little mind was all het up, but that could have been said in one word or phrase, like, 'Dude, just no, not going to happen, good luck.'" IOW sorrow for the person who is all het up about explaining shit, and really never needed that amount of detail.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, a little bit, but I'm more likely to feel sorry for the recipient of the letter, depending on the situation.

TNP had pizza this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Afraid not, no. Not in quite a while.

TNP thinks the secret trick to Fonzie's coolness is that he's actually kind of a psychopath, and just doesn't do emotions with women and stuff.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah. It was his attitude, his effortless cool, the leather jacket, the bike, and of course the scriptwriters making all the girls swoon over him.

TNP has read a script in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. I guess if it's my unpublished, unwritten script called The Arthur Fonzarelli Story: How to be a Total Poonhound While Not Giving A Shit.

TNP doesn't give two fucks about fan-fic, but god help them just the same.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've read some good fanfic, and I've read more than a little bad fanfic. I guess all in all that I do give more than two fucks about it, so false.

TNP has written fanfic.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. For what reason?

TNP, on the other hand, sees no supposedly thorny ethical or legal problems with using characters or "worlds" characteristic of another's creation. As an example, even if there were some kind of "Shakespeare estate," you can do whatever you want with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. IOW the ontology of fictional objects is and will remain so poorly understood, in all domains of inquiry, that only an asswipe would concern him or her with such matters. Setting aside obvious tortious things like "look and feel" kinds of copyrights and other sorts of things, there is far too much that is unknown about fiat objects, especially according to the law (yes, there can only be one, more or less), in the domain of real estate, applications of ideas, processes, and eksetera, that it would be foolish to make claims or dismissals on philosophical grounds.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As long as you're not profiting from it, no, I have no ethical or legal problem with fanfic. I've written some myself.

TNP has heard, and likes, the Goo Goo Dolls's newest single, "Miracle Pill":

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. One of the main dudes used to come into a place I used to hang out at and just nurse an O'Douls. Chill enough people, from what I can see, which isn't much.

TNP has ever recently just put his or her hand on someone else's shoulder, just out of camaraderie.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Been awhile. So I guess, no.

TNP has never drunk a no-alcohol beer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

True. Never been tempted.

TNP has at least three kinds of beer in the fridge right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I suppose I drink three brands of beer, but let's be real: if they were in my fridge, they would be there for only a short period of time. Just like a frenchman with a loaf of bread, it's really bought for immediate consumption, or very nearly so.

TNP has had mild food-poisoning recently, and thinks it sucks. And blows.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Can't be sure, but yes, I think I did. And the restaurant was hardly a greasy spoon.

TNP likes eating in greasy spoons, diners and dives.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh definitely.

TNP is fond of the Waffle House

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. I've never been to a Waffle House itself, but some places the chain is trying to imitate, for sure. There's nothing wrong with a little something-this, something-that, as long as it all fits together. Get some!

TNP thinks "get some!" would be a great slogan for some restaurants.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah! Surprised no one's used it yet - not that I can recall, anyway.

TNP has seen the 1986 crime thriller Manhunter.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I remember being into the novel after *The Silence of The Lambs* was released, that one, but I was more into what Hannibal Lecter was listening to in his various cells, and therefore gave up on the whole thing.

TNP has recently gone out front in his or her bathrobe, and nothing else, and said no other words than obscenities. And it's effective, let me tell you! Pro-tip, close the robe, though.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never! Maybe I should try that sometime.

TNP is barefoot right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. Of course. I consider it good practice for toughening up the feet and would only balk at walking barefoot over things like broken glass or other sharp volcanic or vegetal irritants.

TNP, however, does not consider flip-flops to be great footwear for driving in. It seems cool and all, but it isn't.

+ Reply to thread