+ Reply to thread
Page 172 of 204 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 182 ... LastLast
Results 8,551 to 8,600 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not generally, but there's different kinds of assholes. There's the awesome ones who just aren't taking any shit from some random puke fucking up everyone's shit with their dumbassery, and there's the truly insane, idiotic pricks who lack the basic ability to unobtrusively go about their business without fucking up people's shit. About the latter, yeah, fuck 'em and their cornholing driving and oblivious walking and general bullshit.

TNP has very low tolerance for people who appear to have little awareness of their surroundings, and who pilot themselves accordingly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, it's true, especially when they get in my way. On the other hand, sometimes they're good for a laugh:

TNP had seen that video before.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, and respectfully, I decline to watch the video. I'm sure it's an amusing pastiche of what I see most days, but I just don't wish to be amused at the moment.

TNP cuts people who have some legitimate intellectual or mental difficulties a good bit of slack, and is generally kind and accomodating IRL, BUT TNP suspects there are some people who present outwardly as "mental" or "eccentric" who really don't merit the same consideration.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I sometimes suspect that some people don't want to get better, because their illness lets them get away with so much, yeah.

TNP sometimes wonders why their dreams are so complicated, when their life is kinda plain.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That's a "true." Yes, sometimes. I don't stay awake long nights wondering why, but sometimes I do wonder what voodoo the brain is cooking up. "What's it building in there? Hmmm...."

TNP thinks most people would think his or her own life is a bit boring. Not that it is, necessarily, but the average person might think so, he or she supposes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, probably. We can't all live in an action movie.

TNP has seen a good action movie in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Probably. I don't really remember.

TNP doesn't really understand WHY NE Patriots fans exist many miles from their native lands.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It is a sports mystery. But the same could be said for Steelers and Ohio State fans, among others.

TNP has at least three articles of clothing in pro sports team colors.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, own a bunch of Blue Jays stuff.

TNP isn't quite sure why it's now mandatory to wear team clothes to games, when people used to dress for sporting events like they would for going to a decent quality restaurant.

Registered
    Jul 2013

What? Yes, I'm sure there are a number of reasons, which I shall not enumerate here. Is it good or bad? Meh, I don't really have a strong opinion. There are about a hundred other things I despise that get my attention.

TNP would never wear a leather duster as a garment. Except maybe in extraordinary circumstances, like roaming around the Australian outback on horses and such.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, pretty much only then.

TNP thinks it's cool that Australian troops still wear those hats pinned up on one side: https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/...ary_engg_1.jpg

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure: those are pretty cool. Not quite sure of the history, or why that style exists, but it's definitely a distinctive "look." I did not know it was an official part of any uniform, rather I thought it was a Crocodile Dundee-type thing.

TNP can name a color which is completely unrepresented among his or clothes. For me it's yellow: not one single T-shirt, regular shirt, even socks or undies.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm...unless we're getting into shades with strange Martian-sounding names, no. I'm a pretty eclectic dresser.

TNP tries to have lots of socks of the same colour, to cover up for the ones that go missing.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I wear a lot of dark blue and grey socks to work. Other than white athletic socks, that's probably 90% of my sock collection.

TNP actually doesn't mind receiving socks as gifts.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I love getting socks as gifts: once in a while as a token "gift bag" at Christmas, my mother will include a package of socks. I'm kind of snooty about inferior-quality socks, but it's the thought that counts, and I'm always glad to have some backup socks, even if I don't wear them often. Besides, I don't regularly remember to buy socks when I'm buying housewares and such, or I just don't care for the selection at a given store.

TNP keeps the interior of his or her car nice and neat, unlike some people I could mention.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mostly, although I don't dust the dashboard and center console as often as I should.

TNP dusted his or her car in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ha. No. I haven't dusted anything, ever, in my life. I did spray the inside of the windshield with some cleanser and wipe it off with a filthy towel a few weeks ago. There's a fine layer of dust over everything I've ever owned, past or present. I've also never vacuumed carpets in the few places I've lived as an adult that was carpeted, except maybe in a cursory fashion. Is there any relation between my housekeeping and my constant use of decongestants and stuffy nose? Perhaps. I think it's ancient aliens, but opinions vary.

TNP has ever dressed on purpose in a completely monochromatic fashion, roughly. For example, all blue, all black, and so forth.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A couple of times for costume parties, I think. But it's been quite awhile.

TNP has eaten peanuts today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I have had no nuts in my mouth today. I'm fond of Smokehouse almonds, though, and often will make a ,meal of them.

TNP is not fond of unroasted, unsalted nuts.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely agree. I don't even like low-salt nuts; gimme the hard stuff, baby! I rarely add salt on my own to any food, so I think I'll be OK (and I, too, am very fond of Smokehouse almonds).

TNP is a little worried about his or her salt intake.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I like electrolytes, so French fries are about the healthiest food there is IMHO. Salt+potassium = awesome. No indications of being salt sensitive, so it's fine for me. Plus despite drinking and smoking to excess for years, as well as being a little husky, blood pressure centers around 110/70 at age 43. Not worried.

TNP has no known food allergies.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Correct. Some food hates, but no food allergies.

TNP knows a person with lots and lots of allergies.

Registered
    Jul 2013

More or less. One isn't sure if the allergies are symptoms of eosinophilic esophagitis or plain old brain tumors, but I suppose the effect is the same. I suppose I could include my younger self as well: had the back skin-test and the shots, but on consideration, that was probably a bunch of bullshit. At any rate, living in city filth in early maturity to middle age, almost exclusively, cured me of all that.

TNP is kind of enjoying the pattern of this coming season: some time off work, combined with a very intense effort during times at.

Registered
    Jul 2013

More or less. One isn't sure if the allergies are symptoms of eosinophilic esophagitis or plain old brain tumors, but I suppose the effect is the same. I suppose I could include my younger self as well: had the back skin-test and the shots, but on consideration, that was probably a bunch of bullshit. At any rate, living in city filth in early maturity to middle age, almost exclusively, cured me of all that.

TNP is kind of enjoying the pattern of this coming season: some time off work, combined with a very intense effort during times at.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely. Looking forward to some downtime around Christmas.

TNP has travel plans before New Year's Day.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah. Can't do it, and just plain don't want to.

TNP has spent or is spendin, quite a little bit of mental energy preparing for the death of one or two of his or her parents. You know, preparing for a bunch of paperwork, and some emotional upheavals, and what is sure to be an unpleasant, time-consuming, boring task of selling or disposing of property and personal effects. Where applicable: pretty sure some people may have been brought in by the stork or are sired by Satan, but likely nobody here.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, my sisters and I have spoken a bit about that. Every time I see them I'm aware of how old they've gotten, and my mom in particular has seen better days.

TNP still has some holiday shopping to do.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. I truly have no idea what I would buy or make (well...I'm not much of a "maker," but you know) for extended family members. For the nephews...I don't know. The previous gifts (not necessarily for christmas) of a set of binoculars, my old boy-scout orienteering compass, a slide rule, and a Latin comic book of Caesar's commentaries on the Gallic War didn't quite make it into their set of most cherished possessions, so, whatever. Meh. They can gt their own hula hoops and Pokemon stuff. They get plenty of gifts, BUT, they do seem to remember things (except for my gifts! grrr), so maybe just I'll get drunk and scrawl out some handmade cards with, I don't know, they .... OH SHIT! My middle nephew at the ripe old age of first or second grade (US system) joined his school's chess club! No, he's not a nerd, but he seems to like it. Shit. I used to have a handful of small chess books, but I might have sold them all a long time ago.

OH, and that book, one of a serious, called something like Calculus for Preschoolers or something. I looked into that a while ago and it didn't seem as stupid as it sounds.

AND they all like animals, at least they did recently, or some of them. PERFECT! A first edition of Linnaeus!

I probably should do something for my parents, but they seem to buy everything they need or want on an ad hoc basis. And I haven't been spending much time with either of them lately, so I don't have a clue what they're into. A Raspberry Pi might be good for my pops, the idea being he could devise something to control his cheesemaking or wasabi plants, but I don't think he's putting much time into his semi-hydroponic wasabi horseradish thing, and pretty sure he's not making cheeses anymore. Plus, he's an über geek, schooled as a scientist and spent his career doing GIS since before it was a "thing" and applied data analysis, but for some reason I don't think he's into even simple computer programming. Just doesn't like it. For mother? No idea, really. Books are good for both of them: history for Mom, and for Dad, I don't think he reads anything except those airport fiction novels about detectives or whatever. Maybe as a joke I'll get them the breviary of the RCC mass in Latin. No, they aren't churchgoers, although Mom was confirmed and was catechized at the traditional age, and is still very superstitious, keeps holy water in her car, has crucifixes all over her house, medallions of various saints attached to various objects she carries around, all that.

ETA Yes, it's probably obvious it's the first time I thought about gift-giving this year. Hey, man, I'm observing Advent! Tain't no Christmas season yet!

TNP finds one of the most pleasant and rewarding parts of his or her job is to help new hires learn the "trade" (errr....OK, let's call it that) and get them set up on the right path with a good foundation.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 19 Dec 2019 at 08:54 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, that's not one of my responsibilities at work. But I have been a mentor several times, and usually enjoy it.

TNP will be going to a holiday party in the next three days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, you could call it that. I'm still not sure I'm going to want to make the drive out this evening to The First United Methodist Church in an ancillary town, and it's not exactly a party, it's a concert, but I want to check out a former work supervisor on drums in a trio date with a big-name piano player. I'm pretty sure practcing Catholics, whatever their level of engagement, don't burst into flames on entering protestant churches, but I'm equally sure I'll do something stupid like genuflect in the direction of the tabernacle or something out of habit, so to speak. I'll still wear a jacket and tie, though.

Yeah. It was a pretty sober, respectful trio job. To their credit, the Methodists had purple stuff around, you know, because Advent and stuff. And, yes, I didn't find my car until twelve hours or more later, and spent an hour and a half doing a grid-search on foot and then the next few hours after in a few of the grossest bars in the burbs before deciding to take a bus back home.

And, yes, good for the fucking burbs, they didn't tow my fucking car away when I started canvassing the streets again at seven in the morning.

Goddammmit.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

TNP, if TNP wears a wristwatch, would go ahead and replace a stainless steel "jewerly"-style linked metal band with a NATO-style watchband and never look back. (The NATO-style bands are just nylon watchbands that can fit about any watch....I don't know how to describe them, other than they're not metal bracelet-type bands with the clasp, and they're not made out of rubber).

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, you could call it that. I'm still not sure I'm going to want to make the drive out this evening to The First United Methodist Church in an ancillary town, and it's not exactly a party, it's a concert, but I want to check out a former work supervisor on drums in a trio date with a big-name piano player. I'm pretty sure practcing Catholics, whatever their level of engagement, don't burst into flames on entering protestant churches, but I'm equally sure I'll do something stupid like genuflect in the direction of the tabernacle or something out of habit, so to speak. I'll still wear a jacket and tie, though.

Yeah. It was a pretty sober, respectful trio job. To their credit, the Methodists had purple stuff around, you know, because Advent and stuff. And, yes, I didn't find my car until twelve hours or more later, and spent an hour and a half doing a grid-search on foot and then the next few hours after in a few of the grossest bars in the burbs before deciding to take a bus back home.

And, yes, good for the fucking burbs, they didn't tow my fucking car away when I started canvassing the streets again at seven in the morning.

Goddammmit.

TNP, if TNP wears a wristwatch, would go ahead and replace a stainless steel "jewerly"-style linked metal band with a NATO-style watchband and never look back. (The NATO-style bands are just nylon watchbands that can fit about any watch....I don't know how to describe them, other than they're not metal bracelet-type bands with the clasp, and they're not made out of rubber).

Registered
    Jul 2013

Goddammmit.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You can say that again... and again!

No, when I wore a watch, it wasn't one like that. But I haven't worn one in maybe three years; I just look at my cellphone for the time.

TNP has owned more than five cellphones.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm positive, yes. And not because of being a wanton, reckless upgrader. Just somehow happened that way.

[[ETA Sorry about the multipost! Not sure what happened other than ... what happened.]

TNP has owned (or still owns) more than ten computers (excluding phones or other gadgets, but tablets count, I suppose — that's a pretty arbitrary line, since I think a tablet is just a bigger phone, but whatever, and I'm using my phone these days to do some real computing in a terminal emulator, but, still, whatever. I'm drawing a line in the sand!).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 22 Dec 2019 at 10:45 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, maybe six or seven over the years. Certainly not as many as ten, I don't think.

TNP will be watching a favorite Christmas movie in the next week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I was sort of thinking yesterday or the day before about watching the George C. Scott A Christmas Carol. Not sure why, especially since it's not Christmas season, it just popped into my head as something to do.

TNP is absolutely not on board, whatsoever, with people who don't observe the liturgical calendar. Or at least a liturgical calendar. Because it's fun!

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I don't care what calendar people use, liturgical or otherwise. (Happy Hanukkah, BTW, for those who celebrate it).

That's my favorite version of A Christmas Carol!

TNP will be doing some gift-wrapping tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, sure.

No, when I wore a watch, it wasn't one like that.
    WHAT? It wasn't the kind of watch that went around your wrist? I am very confused, and I do not appreciate that, kind sir!

TNP does not like being pushed into a leadership role at his or her job. Call it being a pro tem superversor, or some kind of administrator. Not worth the added stress, nor the aspect of bossing people around, marshalling the troops, delegating, etc.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 23 Dec 2019 at 10:25 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, I've been an acting supervisor a few times and didn't mind it. Just one more step in my cunning, long-term plan for global domination.

My wristwatches mostly have leather wristbands, not metal or nylon, as you mentioned.

TNP has a cunning, long-term plan for global domination.

Registered
    Jul 2013

More or less. I wouldn't go so far as to say "global domination," although that was the idea behind my doctoral dissertation, to make a major correction to what I continue to see as errors composed on top of errors in the literary fields. Probably why I didn't finish it. But, yes, I have a long term strategy for my personal life, and while I get off course from time to time, it's still the way I think about things. It's not exactly a "cunning" plan — it's pretty simple, really, but it does require a bit of wits and some precise tactical wins in the service of the game.

TNP has been wearing something similar to a fishing vest, a Walter Sobchak vest, or something like that sometime in the last year. Broad category, so interpret loosely.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have a dark green down vest that I wear now and then. Probably the closest I can get (much as I love ol' Walter).

TNP has seen The Big Lebowski at least ten times.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Surely, at least that many times. I usually FFWD through most of the scenes with Julianne Moore and the dream sequences, but I don't think that matters.

TNP would be constitutionally unable to wear a bathrobe in public (aside from maybe checking the mailbox or so forth).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty much. 'Way too dressed-down for me.

TNP had a special holiday treat on Dec. 25.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. I got to play a game of chess with my middle nephew. I'm a little sorry to say I showed no mercy, but I showed him a few things and we had some moments where he had a chance to rethink some moves. And I don't know where he got the idea that he couldn't kill attacking pieces with his king: got to nip that silly idea in the bud!

I don't know how old he is, exactly....second grade, US system? Something like that. Seems a little early to be in a chess club and playing little tournaments. Well, not for me at that age, but just saying. Just talking to his grandmother this morning and apparently they are all required to (use?) (know about?) "en passant" for some upcoming tournament. Really. How often does en passant come up in a game? It shouldn't really hardly ever occur, except as a little tactic where one gives up a pawn for a better line.

And, no, I'm not a good chess player, so please don't take this as sneak-bragging that I beat the snot out of a five year old or whatever age he is. We had fun and that's all that matters, in sport and games. IMHO. At about that age my grandmother, now deceased many decades, completely killed me at poker, gin rummy, you name it. I think it's a family trait, on that side, the distaff side.

TNP knows at least seven people in his or her extended family who have been in the hospital recently for some surgeries and whatnot.

TNP is extremely unhappy when he or she misplaces his or her eyeglasses and has to wear an older backup pair, but is extremely happy to find his or her regular pair underneath a chair or so forth.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 Dec 2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: none

Registered
    Sep 2009

I rarely misplace my glasses, but yes, I'm not pleased when it happens.

TNP has prescription sunglasses (as I used to, back when I was a Scout camp lifeguard and aquatics instructor).

Registered
    Jul 2013

Absofuckinglutely. Given I can't legally drive without them, or the untinted variety, and probably shouldn't even be walking without them. Or wouldn't want to, about that latter.

And, yes, I sometimes drive with them on at night, because of those bastards with the HID or LED headlamps.

TNP has a good response when somebody says, "Hey, man, what's good?" And if so, will say it.

TNP usually prefers wearing sunglasses when outside, unless it's a really dismal day.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 28 Dec 2019 at 02:12 AM. Reason: whatever

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I tend to wear them only if it's really sunny. If it's only typical brightness I won't.

TNP has bought candy today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Certainly not. I did, over the last twenty-four hours, though. begrudgingly accept a Mason jar full of mixed nuts whose owner was very proud of his home-cooking abilities. It included two of those miniature York peppermint patties. No, I couldn't really refuse, so as I left I just shook his hand and said, "You're a good man, thanks again." I did indeed eat some of the nuts: true to his word, it seemed obvious that he'd pan-roasted them with some spices.

TNP has not gone a single day without saying a curse word, since the age of reason.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmmm. Pretty sure I have. Don’t cuss much, and was very careful when my kid was small.

TNP has been to San Diego.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I don't think so, but as a coincidence, my eldest nephew and his nuclear family flew down there just now as part of a "Make a Wish" grant. Not quite sure what the "wish" was, but something in San Diego, all expenses paid and all that. I do like the San Diego Padres, though, for the stupid reason that my town used to have a AAA baseball team that was a farm team for the Padres. No, I have no idea how the Padres have been doing lately — undoubtedly not so good, but it's a cool name for a team.

TNP doesn't really like eating cold fried chicken, but eats it anyway on occasion.

+ Reply to thread