+ Reply to thread
Page 149 of 204 FirstFirst ... 49 99 139 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 159 199 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,450 of 10166

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, not really. Ahnuld from True Lies is my favorite character of that sort.

TNP has seen True Lies at least three times.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, probably twice, I suppose. A cute movie, I suppose, but not a favorite.

TNP thinks Sneakers is a pretty terrific little "espionage"-type movie.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's OK, but I much prefer True Lies.

TNP remembers the lengthy-instructions-on-how-to-open-a-locked-door gag from Sneakers.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not at all. I've seen the movie a few times, but that one isn't coming to mind.

TNP doesn't care for Elvis (Presley), even ironically, although is very familiar with his œuvre. (Although admits the sound production and the production of his records in general were top-notch, as well as the musicianship).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I dunno, I can't call myself a fan, but I've got nothing against his music, and could probably even watch one of his movies if I was bored enough, especially if Anne-Margret was in it.

TNP thinks maybe their life would have worked out better if Colonel Parker was running it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very unlikely, and I'm sure I'd become resentful of him pretty quickly.

The Sneakers door-opening gag is that
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    the Redford character comes to a locked door and is trying to decide how to get in. He speaks to the Poitier character on the phone for at least half a minute, saying "Uh huh" every few seconds (you only hear his side of the conversation). Finally he says, "OK, I'll try it." Then he just kicks the door in.

TNP knows a real-life colonel other than me (I'm a Kentucky Colonel).

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well I'll be shitting myself all week. I've been trying to get my KY pal (he's from there, got the degrees and whatver) to suck up and become a Kentucky Colonel. Goddamned. A real life KY colonel in our midst.

No, I'm not sarcastic at all — I think it's excellent.

TNP has close family who are military and/or would counsel them into the tradition.

Registered
    Sep 2009

My dad was in the Army in the Fifties, serving in West Germany (started out as company clerk, because he had two years of college at that point, and eventually became a tank commander), but he never suggested for a moment that I should enlist. Now I kind of wish I had.

TNP regrets not serving in the military.

Registered
    Jul 2013

True. Although at age eighteen I don't think I would have been able to figure out the right path, including education.

ETA and belated congratulations on your commission, EH!

TNP pretty frequently thinks of day-to-day tasks in terms or concepts that are drawn from a military ethos.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 20 Sep 2018 at 02:32 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm. Sort of, I guess. I tend to be a direct and goal-oriented kind of guy.

(Thanks, Jizz. A Kentucky-born friend sort of talked me into it, on condition that he be able to nominate me under a joke version of my name. To which I agreed, and which he eventually did.)

TNP has been to Kentucky in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative, Colonel, never been nor have any desire to after reading Hunter Thompson's account of the Kentucky Derby. But I've changed my mind about horses and now I think they're OK. And I suppose the corn liquor flows pretty freely. And it would be a nice excuse to wear a white linen suit, although never after Labor Day, natch.

TNP is extremely resentful at micromanagement techniques, especially when coupled with grossly inefficient and incompetent decisions about business logistics (which is in contrast to actual, scientific logistics).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 21 Sep 2018 at 06:15 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely. I've seen and been on the receiving end of too much micro-managing during my career. It's irritating and insulting.

Speaking of thinking of day-to-day tasks in terms or concepts that are drawn from a military ethos, I highly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Its-Your-Ship...%27s+your+ship

TNP has been aboard a then-commissioned United States Navy warship.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, in that the U.S.S. Constitution remains commissioned.

TNP has been on more than one museum ship.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes - the aforementioned sail frigate USS Constitution, the battleship USS Wisconsin, the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown, the submarines USS Cod and Requin, the protected cruiser USS Olympia, and the brigs Amistad and USS Niagara. I've also been inside (but not exactly "on") the gunboat USS Cairo.

TNP has been aboard at least two of those other than the Constitution.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative, Colonel. I know rowboats, canoes, small single-engined craft, and the occasional pseudo-yacht with quartering facilities below deck. And as a child during "fleet week," getting a tiny view onboard some at least one real boss craft.

TNP would be pretty annoyed, as a KY Colonel if someone insisted on calling him or her "Colonel" for the rest of his or her days.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely. Every once in awhile, though, is OK.

TNP knows an actual U.S. or foreign military colonel.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I've never known a Colonel or a Lt. Col. personally. I think the highest ranks I've personally been regularly engaged with socially are Capt. (Army), Sgt. (Marines), Capt. (Marines) and some few Navy enlistees whose rank or rating I never thought to ask. Navy: an avionics guy in an analog electrical engineering class, and a digital electronics instructor/professor whose rating I didn't know. Of course our own WE? counts, but I don't know him IRL other than that he has excellent taste in music.

TNP is amazed at how often some older ideas one had vehemently discarded, after fully investigating, keep resurfacing, at least on a metaphorical level. Hegel's general notion of a dialectic is one example.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure. Practically any concept or theory other than those definitively and scientifically shown to be flat-out wrong, like the canals of Mars, might come back into vogue sometime.

TNP thinks at least 10% of people will believe just about any damn thing.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Actually, 100%.

TNP has seen a UFO.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. But on reflection, I'm pretty sure that was Halley's Comet sometime in the 1980s. But I could not identify it with certainty at the time.

TNP would rather walk a few braces of miles in snowshoes or use cross-country skis with a loaded backpack than even contemplate downhill skiing or snowboarding.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, probably. I wouldn't mind trying snowboarding, but I'm sure I'd break something if I did downhill skiing.

TNP prefers the mountains in winter to the beach in summer.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes — mountains if I had adequate gear with me, including sunglasses (no, I don't rock climb, but I don't have a problem hiking in the snow with some good leather boots — up to the limit of "post-holing" each step).

TNP would never consider surfing (on the ocean) as a good thing to do.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've never done it myself, but other than the remote risk of shark attack, I have no objection to it.

TNP regularly listens to podcasts.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I think I've heard maybe a small handful ever (excluding recordings of lectures and radio segments and so on).

Shark attack??? That would be the best! OK, that was insensitive to the sister of a HS classmate who was killed by a shark off the CA coast, but, still, that would be way cooler to meet the great white beast than just riding the curl. But I'm just a hodad, so my opinion can't be trusted.

TNP is annoyed that it's becoming acceptable to substitute a YouTube video for what could have taken fifteen seconds to read. "Rich/enhanced media" my ass. Damn fool kids.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 Sep 2018 at 04:14 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, doesn't bother me.

TNP has been to Harpers Ferry, W.Va. in the past five years.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, never. Heard of it though!

TNP thinks an air horn designed for marine uses (i.e., extremely loud) could come in handy on occasion while driving or walking, and would not hesitate to use it when appropriate.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hell, yes! Or at least I'd be tempted.

TNP thinks that John Brown's cause was good but that his methods were bad.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Negative. I think, in general, extreme action is appropriate when the traditions have failed. The law is a civilized man's recourse, but when it is too slow to respond, the failure should be acknowledged and corrected. That's the IMHO raison d'ętre of labor unions, and other so-called scoundrels. ETA, yes, IMO Brown's actions were correct, but I don't wish to generalize.

TNP will name his or her favorite Kiefer Sutherland role, movies or TV.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 Sep 2018 at 06:37 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Schreiber in Dark City, hands down.

TNP has seen and enjoyed that movie.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, one of those good references from you, I believe. In fact, I should see it again sometime: it's pretty rare to find a movie that is really a "genre of one," IMO. Unique and fascinating, in a dark sort of way.

TNP is still puzzled why Tim Roth's character in Reservoir Dogs included the detail "so, I was sitting watching The Lost Boys and the phone rang" in his little invented story to impress the gang of hoods he was going undercover in. There may not be a reason, but, what an odd reference to another movie within a movie.

TNP is pretty sure he or she could not really wear a string tie ŕ la Col. Sanders without being mocked.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 30 Sep 2018 at 09:12 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I think I did once, for Halloween or something, but no, otherwise I couldn't get away with it.

TNP has a costume in mind for Halloween this year already.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, can' remember the last time I wore a Halloween costume. Might be 30 years.

TNP has already bought their Halloween candy.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Naw. There really aren't any kids in my community; and, even if there were, I somewhat suspect a savvy parent would strongly discourage a child from approaching my unit. Just in case, I, as always, have the Shure SM57 (on a table-top mic stand) hooked up to the mixer, so I can scare the shit out of anyone outside. Just unmute the channel it's plugged into and start shrieking, or something.

TNP thinks it's too early to start thinking about Halloween. That's like a month away, man!

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I've already been invited to a friend's house to help pass out candy to the neighborhood kiddos, so it's on my mind.

TNP hated getting fruit or nuts as a Halloween treat.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I had nice neighbors when I was at that age! No pennies wrapped in tinfoil, none of that shit. No toothbrushes. None of that bullshit.

TNP never quite mastered the despicable "art" of bobbing for apples.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Correct. Not my favorite party game, not by a long shot.

TNP was reminded of this Far Side cartoon: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f0/8e/1d/f...ary-larson.jpg

Registered
    Jul 2013

Heh. Somehow I never saw that one. Pretty good.

TNP is not friends with anyone whom one would describe as "bland."

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't think so, because I don't think anybody is really bland if you know enough about them.

TNP is friends with someone who people would describe as "psycho".

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not really. Well, I've been friends or friendly with people who supposedly had some serious psychiatric problems, but they weren't like serial-killer, drive-their-kids into the lake kind of psycho.

TNP is happy with the amount of empathy he or she has now — not too much, not too little, just about the right amount.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, pretty much. Much less and I'd be callous, any more and I'd almost be a blubbering wreck.

TNP has a friend who has been a blubbering wreck at some time.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Tchey. You're telling me. I've had — and still have — a close friend who is just wild id. She's got a lot of energy, and she's fun to be around, and seems to have a knack for being very loyal as well as drawing out introverts.

TNP never uses a cookbook anymore, just sort of puts it all together in a way that makes sense.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I can't say "anymore," because I hardly ever used one in the first place!

TNP knows someone who met Julia Child (as my sister once did, in an airport).

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I think I would be frightened, or overly-excited, or both. I imagine her to be an imposing, authoritative woman — although I'm sure she was nice enough IRL, and probably had some good French jokes to swap.

TNP has watched more than enough PBS cooking shows to last a lifetime, including, of course, Child, Pépin, Yan Can Cook, all that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, probably, haven't watched one in years, but kinda binged on them in the 80's.

TNP still feels kinda sad about the whole Frugal Gourmet thing.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. I'm not so sure what exactly the facts were, but the Frug and his books were a big influence growing up — and I think many, even famous chefs, feel the same way. It is too bad, whatever happened, that the newer generation probably is not going to be able to have the same experience.

TNP admires and reads several authors who were complete bastards, misanthropes, and maybe even complete nutters.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Ernest Hemingway certainly had his issues (at least somewhat anti-Semitic, an isolationist before WWII, definitely a womanizer and a serious alcoholic who enjoyed shooting animals, and suicidally mentally ill by the end of his life) but I love his writing. And although not best known as an author, Frank Lloyd Wright was both an amazingly gifted, visionary architect and a thoroughly unpleasant human being - arrogant, rude, a tyrant to subordinates, dismissive of practical engineering, and not above bleeding his clients dry.

TNP has been in a FLW-designed building.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not inside, but there was one right near the house of one of my "team" of professors toward the end of grad school I used to travel by pretty often. I never really felt like going in — not one of his super-famous ones, but still a minor local attraction.

TNP likes exploring abandoned industrial buildings (grain mills, old "psychiatric" institutes, abandoned skyscrapers, old pieces of civil infrastructure), but is not that good or stealthy at actually gaining access to the interiors (which, should be plain, are pretty often extremely unsafe).

TNP needs one day a week at least to literally rest, physically and mentally. No shopping, no nothing like that.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 05 Oct 2018 at 08:27 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not to rest, as such, but a day or two away from work is definitely a good thing for my mental health.

TNP will make immediate plans to visit Fallingwater, widely regarded as FLW's masterpiece and not to be missed before you die: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm afraid not immediate plans, but definitely "sometime." If I had a reason to switch location (or even just I wanted to), I do like that part of the country and I would make it a point to visit Fallingwater. Someone closer to the area (hint, hint, number of posters here) definitely should, though, even if it's a bit of a road trip.

TNP would describe himself or herself as somewhat demanding of acquaintances and friends.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Now and then, but not as a rule.

TNP has a friend who has 'way too many personal "rules."

+ Reply to thread