+ Reply to thread
Page 162 of 204 FirstFirst ... 62 112 152 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 172 ... LastLast
Results 8,051 to 8,100 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I thought I was "up" on at least the names of the big smooth jazz players (not my favorite genre, but there's some good players and good stuff in there for sure). I don't feel like listening to any music right now, but I'll bookmark the link for later. Anyone with the name "Groove" is automatically cool: Richard "Groove" Holmes (Hammond organist) for example.

TNP never fails to find something new in some of Chick Corea's best albums: not only a great pianist, with chops, originality, all that, and composer, but also a great bandleader. In fact, an optional TNP would suggest his or her favorite musician who also had an uncanny knack for bringing together great groups of musicians and keeping them in line.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm not that musically sophisticated, but yeah, he sounds good to me.

TNP has had salmon in the past week.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, don't think so, fond as I am of it.

TNP thinks more diners should offer tuna casserole.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure, I don't see why not. At the least it would invite more one-eyed cats peeping at the kitchen door where seafood deliveries are made.

TNP thinks the expressions "Does a hobby-horse have a wooden dick?" or "Does the Pope shit in the woods?" are equivalent, or prefers one to the other, or prefers neither.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty much the same, I suppose, but I like the second a little more.

Without looking it up, TNP knows Pope Francis's country of origin.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. I think he's from the jungle or something. I believe he's Brazilian in origin, but I could be wrong.

ETA dammit shit fucking Christ fuck ass, that mofo is an Argentine! Well, whatever. He's pretty spry for an inheritor of the Rock old man, though. And FU, I I attend mass most weeks and confess whatever foul deeds I've done, including not going to mass and receiving the eucharist when I am well-disposed. And, yes, I consider lusting after women, including those who observe the Latin rite in my view, to be not good, and so I do I indeed practice the reconciliation sacrament in those cases as well.

TNP has never even come close to spitting distance of Vatican City.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 03 May 2019 at 05:26 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

True. The closest I've come was Paris in late 1985.

TNP hopes they rebuild Notre Dame, and thinks that would be money well-spent.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. I don't particularly have any affection for the building itself, although it is pretty damned big, but the FR government would be crazy to not at least slap on some new paint or whatever, and then pat itself on the back, while remarking upon the superior generosity of the French people. I never went to an organ concert there, but it was supposed to have been a good one, so at least they can take care of that.

And they probably will, and have one of the many excellent organists who live in the city give a nice recital of some crazy crowd-pleasing shit, and make a big deal about the "great renewal."

Or something.

TNP doesn't have much of a middle ground between, when dealing with "problematic" people IRL, "extremely polite, but somewhat diplomatic in offering explanations when necessary" and "raging asshole."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm, yeah, I seldom unload on them, but I really can't just treat them like an ordinary part of life, like some people can.

TNP has way more apps than they use on their phone, but can't get motivated to purge them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely true. On any kind of regular basis, I only use Google, GoogleMaps, CNN, ModernBricks (a game like Tetris), Libby (a local library's audiobook app) and the clock and camera. I have dozens of others.

TNP likes listening to audiobooks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I think they're creepy and don't reflect the way I like to read books. Mostly creepy, though.

TNP reads more books (in their entirety or in part) in physical print than in an electronic format.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I've become a huge e-books guy.

TNP owns more than one good quality pen.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I tend to just use cheapo discardables (except I do like the Pilot Varsity fountain pens).

TNP knows an airline pilot personally.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Airline, as in works for a private passenger commercial airline company? No, I don't think ever even met a present or former commercial airline pilor, that I know of.

TNP keeps a spare clean, dry shirt at the ready in his or vehicle or desk or whatever most days.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I pretty much wear what I started with until I get home.

TNP has more than two "novelty" neckties.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I have a bunch of Christmas ties and one Easter tie (lots of colorful eggs on it).

TNP has bought clothing for a significant other in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I was planning to sew a new patch on mother this weekend, though: some of the sawdust is starting to leak out when I move her too much. And, just as a joke, I was planning to give a friendly gift to a co-worker this week: those panties rolled up on a stick designed to look like a rose you can get at truck stops. It would be a nice gesture.

TNP does not think that the word "punkie" is an insult, but is instead kind of a nickname, like "kiddo" or "sport" or "chief."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Having never said it myself, sure, why not?

TNP knows (as I do) someone actually named Pinkey.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Isn't that the name of one of the characters from Grease? No, not IRL, I never had the pleasure. Probably women named Missy and Muffy are the closest I can think of.

TNP is prone to getting super frustrated by having to deal with people at work (or elsewhere, for that matter) who don't seem to be pulling their weight, or anywhere close to it. Like the adult equivalent of having to do child-care. Bad. Very bad. Very stressful.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not at the moment, but I have been there, and it is crazy making, especially when the useless one is actually in a position of responsibility.

TNP doesn't know why some people feel the need to be complete dickwads to others, whether at work or otherwise.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I don't really understand genuine dickwaddishness, particularly when there's no immediate "response needed, DefCon one, take immediate action!"). Being curt or generally intense in certain circumstances might seem to others like "Woah, dude, what a dick!" but I don't think that has the premeditation or mens rea or whatever needed for genuine assholishness. To be charitable, I'd guess a lot of genuine assneck behavior comes from stress (I don't know, maybe someone's shoes don't fit right or their teen or pre-teen child and them are having some kind of family troubles), but that doesn't seem like much of an excuse to me. No, I don't make any exceptions for myself: I go apeshit over tailgaters or noise pollution caused by peoples' hobbies, like pet training, and, no, I don't go full asshole, but I do go full psychopath, without anger, but with some definite intent to be a gold-plated asshole.

TNP loses respect almost immediately for people who don't put a lid, even if it's not a tight-fitting, 100% of the time, seal on their own behavior. Verbal or otherwise. Like the classic Angry Dad kicking the family dog or beating his wife or something, or reactions far less severe.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 15 May 2019 at 08:21 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, it's hard to see people like that the same way ever again. I expect a reasonable level of self-control from just about everyone, but of course I am sometimes disappointed.

TNP is hankering for Pop-Tarts.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually, that sounds good, maybe tomorrow morning straight out of the package on the way to work. I think they still have those chocalate kinds, but I'm not a real Pop-Tart connoisseur, much less never having had in one ... I can't remember, maybe as a kid. I haven't actually owned a toaster since...I can't remember when, over ten years ago.

TNP can name his or her favorite kind of donut

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not really, depends on mood, although a Boston Cream is just about always fine.

TNP thinks donut shop coffee is kind of over-rated.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I guess so. I tend to have the best coffee in nice restaurants after dinner. Donut shop coffee is not the best, I've found.

TNP prefers Earl Grey tea to any other kind.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'd say sure. It's really one of the few kinds of tea I recognize by name, and even though I only ever buy big boxes of Tetley or whatever of tagless "black tea" in bags, I remember the taste and like it. I'd have to do a taste test to see about whatever else there is, but if I were shopping for some kind of tea to serve to guests, I'd probably grab whatever Earl Grey comes in the fanciest package and be perfectly happy.

TNP has observed that the person at the grocery store covering "self check-out" probably has about the most stressful job in the place, what with all the people asking questions, buying age-restricted products, and all that.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, that's probably true. Stocking the shelves, keeping the books and cleaning up spills would be relatively low-stress (although boring) by comparison.

TNP knows a grocery store checkout person.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm...no, I don't think so, not currently.

TNP knows someone who's worked in a liquor store.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Don't think so, no.

TNP has been in a liquor store in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, last week almost to the day. The lady behind the counter looked about like she was sixteen years old, which was odd, but she was very friendly.

TNP cannot possibly keep in mind all of the various odd restrictions different states or countries have on (when/where/what time/what kind of) rules for buying alcohols.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Absolutely not - but then, I usually only have to buy it in only one state.

TNP has been in at least three different US states in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I'm sure loads of you all get around more regularly, but in my region, it's mostly between Wash. St. and OR as far as regular commuters go. You can make a run to the CA border in a day for sure, or ID for that matter, but nobody would do that just for kicks. Not really much there.

TNP sees the impending disappearance of the long-haul trucker profession as a bad thing, namely because in his or her experience, they tend to be about the most reliable people on the interstates or national highways or however you call it. Maybe not the best drivers, but at least they're not changing lanes all the time like Crazy Larry and Dirty Mary.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Haven't given it much thought, but if true, yes, that would be a change for the worse.

TNP suspects the day of the self-driving big rig is not far away.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I'm pretty sure that will be one of the very few successful applications of such technology in the near future. NB: I said "successful," not some toy projects so limited that only a real gadget freak would consider them promising.

TNP has never seen an adult human male arm-wrestle another in person, but thinks it's a fine way to settle arguments or establish dominance.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No to both questions. I did some arm-wrestling as a kid but other than in the movies I don't know any adult who does it.

TNP will gladly zone out to this Blade Runner ambient sound:

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I'm not sure exactly what that is, having listened to a mere portion of the link, but it (i) doesn't sound like something really spaced-out and (ii) I don't really zone out to anything unless some kind of stupor is involved (whether on-purpose or as an inadvertent result of fatigue or tedium).

TNP is working (on or whatever) at pretty much 90% fuel consumption, but has a thought that there's a higher gear one could shift into to enable more productivity at less resource-consumption. And is not happy about such perceived inefficiencies.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not sure, but I guess not.

TNP likes anime.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Eh, I don't dislike it, but it's not really my thing.

TNP likes Japanese movies, with or without rubber monsters.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, Gamera is just plain not a rubber toy "monster," as you gaijin would say. He is in fact a friend to children, and while he is filled with delicious turtle meat, he is tolerated by adults as well. Yes about regular classic Japanese movies, in general. I admire Kurosawa's willingness to present action-dramas in the self-conscious modelling of Ford and Hawks, similar to Melville in France about his American heroes, although he loses me a bit when he went to color films. Ozu's works I recognize, but I don't often wish to re-watch them more than a few times: there is humor in some of them, but his is not a "fire up the screen, have a few laughs, have a couple of brews" kind of moviemaking, and not in the way that Kurosawa's genre pictures (samurai, modern crime, etc.) are (or can be). IMHO: serious pictures made by Japanese directors and producers is not something I think about very much, if at all.

TNP is really good at looking straight ahead and walking by people who are doing something annoying. Without altering one's pace of walking or any kind of tension visible at all. If TNP is a good TNP, TNP will provide an amusing example. If TNP is a bad TNP, it will get the hose again. Marquess of Queensberry rules, you know.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I do that with people at parties whom I see with my peripheral vision and don't really want to talk to, or with hucksters on the street who just want to catch my eye.

TNP has actually read the Marquess of Queensberry rules.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, to my shame.

TNP has read Joseph Liebling's The Sweet Science

Registered
    Sep 2009

No - I don't think I've ever even heard of it.

TNP has finished a good book in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No I'm still working on the Vulgate Book of Psalms, but am too lazy to use a dictionary and don't feel like making guesses at the meaning of the odd sentence/verse which is obscure to me. Not very far into it, and it's not a very ornate or challenging text in prose by most standards.

TNP has ever read a fictional work that is so alarming that he had trouble sleeping, or felt disoriented and on the razor's edge of sanity.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not quite that severe an impact, but Dan Chaon's Await Your Reply, about identity, privacy and safety in the Internet Age, is spookily good.

TNP has read a good mystery in the past year.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm. Read a bunch of mysteries on the subway, but the very best one I'd classify as "not too bad".

TNP has read a really bad mystery in the past year.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, although one or two that were meh.

TNP has said the word "meh" aloud in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I think so. I say "eh" (or "er" depending on the spelling rules of a dialect of English) pretty often, but it's usually preceded by a bilabial closure of some sort, which could be spelled as "meh," I suppose. I'm not sure that the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) is precise enough to transcribe the sound. I think if the utterance were slowed down, actually, that kind of finer detail can and has been transcribed, but (i) it would look very strange written in IPA and (ii) I think linguists working on that kind of thing use waveform analysis and process the results using a kind of statistical "filter," when generalizing over a population. Source: an academic linguist I knew who was working on munging recordings using primitive aughts-era technology as part of her dissertation research.

TNP would choose (an IPA beer + an inferior transcription method) over (a pale lager/pilsner + the IPA transcription scheme).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pass me a beer and I'll think about it. Aw, what the hell... I'll take Option A.

TNP hopes to see at least three particular movies this summer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I like movies, but my viewing tends to be fairly random.

TNP has a cold right now.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fortunately not. If you do, hope you feel better soon!

TNP has had some hot tea in past two days.

+ Reply to thread