+ Reply to thread
Page 147 of 147 FirstFirst ... 47 97 137 143 144 145 146 147
Results 7,301 to 7,320 of 7320

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

False. I think you'll miss the Jazz and Blues festival (IIRC it's sometime earlier), but in good news, you'll probably be just in time for absolutely brutal humid, hot weather. Sounds like fun, anyway, though — lots of ways to beat the heat, by choosing carefully one's venues. Personally, I'd think a little bar or café with live music would be ideal, but who knows.

TNP thinks the Indians (sort of also related to NOLA, but those are different Indians) are hot this season, but hasn't been following enough to be too sure (yes, that's the baseball team I'm referring to).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, "hot's" too strong for the Indians, who are thriving by playing in the worst division in the extremely unbalanced American League.

TNP is planning to see live MLB games this summer in more than one city.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Unfortunately false. For one thing, I'm not interested in travel these days, and for another, I find the average ballpark can be brutal during a day game, just roasting in the sun in the bleachers. Nothing against the many people who enjoy the "big show" live — the atmosphere is certainly exciting. It's a good TV game, if you can stand all the commercials and cruft and ESPECIALLY that damned superimposed box showing the strike zone (dammit, I know what's a strike and what's not, and I like to second-guess the ump for myself!). Even better radio game, but my local station only picks up Mariners and Giants games IIRC [if Miller is still doing play-by-play for the Giants, though, he can't be beat IMHO]: not my favorite teams, even though Ichiro is back in Seattle, which is exciting even though I think he's like ninety years old now. Not to mention that I don't think the Mariners have ever won anything, ever, nor ever will. They're a fun small ball team to watch, though, in general, IMHO, and people like them up there, beyond all reason.

TNP has never gotten the hang of keeping track of a ball game using the traditional notation (you know, I don't remember what they're called, but the paper scorecards you see some people using to write out all the plays throughout a game).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 02 Aug 2018 at 06:34 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

True, though I've never given it much of a try.

TNP likes Negronis.

Registered
    Jul 2013

True. I've never had a negroni, although I know vaguely what it is — and I checked to make sure I was mostly right. Sounds like a refreshing light drink to have on one's terrace. Probably taste kind of bitter, because of the Campari, but IMHO the vermouth should smooth it out.

TNP would much rather have a liquor served straight-up (or over ice) than the more fancy cocktails with all kinds of liqueurs, or else just dump some liquor into a beer glass (mostly filled with beer [!] and drink that).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Aug 2018 at 05:31 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    False. I think you'll miss the Jazz and Blues festival (IIRC it's sometime earlier), but in good news, you'll probably be just in time for absolutely brutal humid, hot weather. Sounds like fun, anyway, though — lots of ways to beat the heat, by choosing carefully one's venues. Personally, I'd think a little bar or café with live music would be ideal, but who knows....
    Yes, we enjoyed a show at Preservation Hall, despite the brutal heat.

In play:

Yes, simpler is generally better when it comes to booze.

TNP is grateful for air conditioning today.

Registered
    Feb 2009

True. Heat was pretty brutal here before the thunderstorm

TNP likes corned beef hash

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. Fiber, vegetal matter, protein, electrolytes. I even think it's OK out of a can, although I always forget to buy some. I'd consider a rabbit or squirrel hash edible as well, provided the specimens were well-skinned and their organs were excised, with no traces of fur. Yes, it's a good way to use beef trimmings or a corned cut of beef, plus tallow, and IMHO it's a pretty balanced meal.

TNP has seen a three-legged dog walking by recently.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I did about three months ago, I think. My aunt had a three-legged hamster with the standard name.

TNP knows what that standard name is.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Shemp? Tripod? Short-round? Ramburgler? Joan Rivers?

TNP thinks rather hot weather can produce some unsettling physical and even psychological effects that, while not necessarily life-threatening, are unpleasant.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Tripod.

Absolutely agree as to hot weather. The older I get, the more I appreciate air conditioning.

TNP has A/C in his/her home.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. AFAIK, there isn't a good way to put a window unit in windows that open vertically, rather than sash-style windows. Not without some effort. And if you just cut a hole in the wall, the HOA has fined at least one person I know, if it's not approved. Anyway, that's all a lot of effort, and summers are generally mild here, except for a few weeks in an odd year — even central HVAC systems aren't all that common in private dwellings, IME.

I was just joking with "tripod" — never heard of that as a name. Shemp is better for a hamster, though, IMHO: Shemp kind of resembles a hamster, in the same way George Jones supposedly resembles a possum. IMVHO.

TNP has recently or is about to consider skipping work for somewhat trivial reasons.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, a few weeks back I took a sick day that I probably didn't have to. I felt cruddy, but not that cruddy. Still, it did me good to spend a day in bed reading.

TNP likes reading in bed.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Best thing in the world.

TNP thinks the best preventative cure to overcome becoming preoccupied with the pretended feelings of someone else is to never be anything less than honest.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Honesty is almost always the best policy, yes.

TNP was once more honest than, in retrospect, he or she really should have been.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All the time. I can't think of one specific example that jumps out. Not blunt or tactless, mind you — I'm not a monster — but honest or direct.

And while reading in bed may be the best thing in the world in general, it's only the third best thing to do in bed

TNP can explain why most people seem to wet their toothbrush before beginning to brush: it would appear most people do not have saliva in their mouths.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's a little softer that way... but mostly it's just force of habit, I suppose.

TNP wished he or she had more saliva most days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I think I have the right amount. Nobody ever asked me for a refund, honey.

TNP, being a profound sweat-producer during manual labor or hot weather, does not understand how some defective humans manage to never let them see them sweat.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I wouldn't say "profound," but in hot weather or if I'm working hard, sure, I'll sweat with the best of 'em.

TNP has heard the old Southern maxim, "Horses sweat, gentlemen perspire, but ladies dew."

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, that's a new one to me, although sounds familiar. I just know re Ann-Margaret from Full Metal Jacket, with that guy telling his photographers to get some "fur and early morning dew" when she's on stage. I doubt that's traditional perspiration he's talking about. In fact, that's not at all what he's talking about.

TNP's application of gelled alcohol hand sanitizer is regular, but too infrequent.

+ Reply to thread