+ Reply to thread
Page 147 of 204 FirstFirst ... 47 97 137 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 157 197 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,350 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

False. I think you'll miss the Jazz and Blues festival (IIRC it's sometime earlier), but in good news, you'll probably be just in time for absolutely brutal humid, hot weather. Sounds like fun, anyway, though — lots of ways to beat the heat, by choosing carefully one's venues. Personally, I'd think a little bar or café with live music would be ideal, but who knows.

TNP thinks the Indians (sort of also related to NOLA, but those are different Indians) are hot this season, but hasn't been following enough to be too sure (yes, that's the baseball team I'm referring to).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, "hot's" too strong for the Indians, who are thriving by playing in the worst division in the extremely unbalanced American League.

TNP is planning to see live MLB games this summer in more than one city.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Unfortunately false. For one thing, I'm not interested in travel these days, and for another, I find the average ballpark can be brutal during a day game, just roasting in the sun in the bleachers. Nothing against the many people who enjoy the "big show" live — the atmosphere is certainly exciting. It's a good TV game, if you can stand all the commercials and cruft and ESPECIALLY that damned superimposed box showing the strike zone (dammit, I know what's a strike and what's not, and I like to second-guess the ump for myself!). Even better radio game, but my local station only picks up Mariners and Giants games IIRC [if Miller is still doing play-by-play for the Giants, though, he can't be beat IMHO]: not my favorite teams, even though Ichiro is back in Seattle, which is exciting even though I think he's like ninety years old now. Not to mention that I don't think the Mariners have ever won anything, ever, nor ever will. They're a fun small ball team to watch, though, in general, IMHO, and people like them up there, beyond all reason.

TNP has never gotten the hang of keeping track of a ball game using the traditional notation (you know, I don't remember what they're called, but the paper scorecards you see some people using to write out all the plays throughout a game).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 02 Aug 2018 at 05:34 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

True, though I've never given it much of a try.

TNP likes Negronis.

Registered
    Jul 2013

True. I've never had a negroni, although I know vaguely what it is — and I checked to make sure I was mostly right. Sounds like a refreshing light drink to have on one's terrace. Probably taste kind of bitter, because of the Campari, but IMHO the vermouth should smooth it out.

TNP would much rather have a liquor served straight-up (or over ice) than the more fancy cocktails with all kinds of liqueurs, or else just dump some liquor into a beer glass (mostly filled with beer [!] and drink that).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Aug 2018 at 04:31 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    False. I think you'll miss the Jazz and Blues festival (IIRC it's sometime earlier), but in good news, you'll probably be just in time for absolutely brutal humid, hot weather. Sounds like fun, anyway, though — lots of ways to beat the heat, by choosing carefully one's venues. Personally, I'd think a little bar or café with live music would be ideal, but who knows....
    Yes, we enjoyed a show at Preservation Hall, despite the brutal heat.

In play:

Yes, simpler is generally better when it comes to booze.

TNP is grateful for air conditioning today.

Registered
    Feb 2009

True. Heat was pretty brutal here before the thunderstorm

TNP likes corned beef hash

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. Fiber, vegetal matter, protein, electrolytes. I even think it's OK out of a can, although I always forget to buy some. I'd consider a rabbit or squirrel hash edible as well, provided the specimens were well-skinned and their organs were excised, with no traces of fur. Yes, it's a good way to use beef trimmings or a corned cut of beef, plus tallow, and IMHO it's a pretty balanced meal.

TNP has seen a three-legged dog walking by recently.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I did about three months ago, I think. My aunt had a three-legged hamster with the standard name.

TNP knows what that standard name is.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Shemp? Tripod? Short-round? Ramburgler? Joan Rivers?

TNP thinks rather hot weather can produce some unsettling physical and even psychological effects that, while not necessarily life-threatening, are unpleasant.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Tripod.

Absolutely agree as to hot weather. The older I get, the more I appreciate air conditioning.

TNP has A/C in his/her home.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. AFAIK, there isn't a good way to put a window unit in windows that open vertically, rather than sash-style windows. Not without some effort. And if you just cut a hole in the wall, the HOA has fined at least one person I know, if it's not approved. Anyway, that's all a lot of effort, and summers are generally mild here, except for a few weeks in an odd year — even central HVAC systems aren't all that common in private dwellings, IME.

I was just joking with "tripod" — never heard of that as a name. Shemp is better for a hamster, though, IMHO: Shemp kind of resembles a hamster, in the same way George Jones supposedly resembles a possum. IMVHO.

TNP has recently or is about to consider skipping work for somewhat trivial reasons.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, a few weeks back I took a sick day that I probably didn't have to. I felt cruddy, but not that cruddy. Still, it did me good to spend a day in bed reading.

TNP likes reading in bed.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Best thing in the world.

TNP thinks the best preventative cure to overcome becoming preoccupied with the pretended feelings of someone else is to never be anything less than honest.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Honesty is almost always the best policy, yes.

TNP was once more honest than, in retrospect, he or she really should have been.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All the time. I can't think of one specific example that jumps out. Not blunt or tactless, mind you — I'm not a monster — but honest or direct.

And while reading in bed may be the best thing in the world in general, it's only the third best thing to do in bed

TNP can explain why most people seem to wet their toothbrush before beginning to brush: it would appear most people do not have saliva in their mouths.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's a little softer that way... but mostly it's just force of habit, I suppose.

TNP wished he or she had more saliva most days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I think I have the right amount. Nobody ever asked me for a refund, honey.

TNP, being a profound sweat-producer during manual labor or hot weather, does not understand how some defective humans manage to never let them see them sweat.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I wouldn't say "profound," but in hot weather or if I'm working hard, sure, I'll sweat with the best of 'em.

TNP has heard the old Southern maxim, "Horses sweat, gentlemen perspire, but ladies dew."

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, that's a new one to me, although sounds familiar. I just know re Ann-Margaret from Full Metal Jacket, with that guy telling his photographers to get some "fur and early morning dew" when she's on stage. I doubt that's traditional perspiration he's talking about. In fact, that's not at all what he's talking about.

TNP's application of gelled alcohol hand sanitizer is regular, but too infrequent.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very rarely. I'd rather just wash my hands with soap and water.

TNP knows a surgeon who scrubs a lot and has red hands.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I know in personal life none surgeons at the moment. Glenn Gould apparently used to soak his hands and forearms in extremely hot water before performing, until they became rather red, but I don't know Gould, either. Well, no one does, at the moment, since he's been dead for a while.

TNP would just as soon replace his or her "lats" (especially the parts that abut the spine) with some kind of comic-book metal, like adamantine or whatever, because he or she is weak and womanly and doesn't have the discipline to strength-train the back muscles using, at minimum regimented calisthenics.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I get lower-back pains a couple of times a year, so sure, that sounds good to me!

TNP would choose flying as his or her superpower, if given the chance.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No way. Invisibility. And I would use it very non-super ways.

TNP has to make some annoying phone calls this week to settle various matters, and is never that happy about having to use the phone for non-recreational conversation.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not that I know of.

TNP likes the Mission: Impossible film series (I saw the most recent two in the past few weeks, and both are really good).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Haven’t seen a one, so no.

TNP is watching the Little League World Series

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just saw a few minutes on a TV in a restaurant where I was having dinner. Couldn't say I was glued to the screen.

TNP prefers baseball to football.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, any day of the week. American football players remind me of robots, with all that protective gear and the whole corporate ethos. Besides, what other sport than baseball can you be a fat, middle-aged drunkard and still perform at the highest level? Bowling, maybe, or golf, but I don't think those are sports so much as games, on the level of playing pool or billiards. And some of those Little League kids are monsters, throwing major heat and slugging like champs. Same deal as EH, I've just caught a few minutes over the years on a public television at a restaurant/bar.

TNP has decided that the cure to lumbar issues of the latissimus dorsi is to rest/repair the damaged muscles, including correct sleep, diet, and hydration, and to gently begin to use the muscle in a deliberate way through normal usage (i.e., not just sitting in a chair).

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, fortunately, I don't have any lumbar issues at the moment.

TNP knew that George F. Will once said that pro football combines the worst two features of American society: violence and committee meetings.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I never heard that, but it's kind of clever. It's not really violence, though, IMHO, if the "combatants" are wearing high-tech exoskeletons being commanded by men wearing suits sitting in some air-conditioned offices around a big table. Say what one wants about boxing, but it still boils down to one person putting up enough money to try to beat another man into submission. Not like that sissy MMA crap.

ETA, yes, American football is like a cross between Robocop fanfic and making hobos fight for the scraps left over in a fast-food to-go bag. Technology and enterprise join hand-in-hand in lovely Passaic, NJ.

TNP is pretty sure George F. Will was never a big sports fan,. Maybe cribbage, or perhaps badminton or croquet. Still a very clever man.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 22 Aug 2018 at 02:03 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Clever, yes.

TNP knew that George F. Will wrote an entire book about baseball - a sport which he loves, by all accounts: https://www.amazon.com/Men-at-Work-C...+will+men+work

Registered
    Jul 2013

I had no idea. All I know is he talks good and writes good and wears a bowtie and spectacles.

TNP sort of doubts that baseball is the "thinking man's" sport, however. What with the mullets, the moustaches, the beer-guts, the Gaylord Perry mudballs, the hard-drinking. And that's just from the players. And TNP can explain how baseball got to be considered a little more "refined" than what the British call "soccer." ETA which, IMO, is a vile, crude, individualistic-bourgeois sport which lacks any significant percent of the strategy required of American football. What the British call "soccer" is a disgrace to the entire planet.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 23 Aug 2018 at 02:51 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hard to say. "Thinking man's sport" is almost an oxymoron, but I suppose baseball (or cricket, given how complicated it is) has a decent claim to the title.

TNP loves cricket.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. But that's just because it seems complicated and not very relaxing to watch. I believe it to be a fine sport, however. i just don't know enough about it, so by default, I approve, if not love, the sport.

TNP thinks American football players should go back to wearing leather helmets and such — get them as tough as rugby players. (Yes, I'm well aware that American footballers are extremely physically gifted, as anyone who's been on a college campus can attest — c'mon, though, does some 105 lb woman want some 300+ lb man squashing her flat as a pancake? Well, apparently, but to each their own).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Having seen the movie Concussion, about widespread and long-ignored traumatic brain injuries in the NFL, I'm gonna go with "no."

TNP has visited a coroner's office and seen dead bodies.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I don't have an interest in cadavers except as practice. I've never been invited to a morgue, however: that's my loss. ETA I do like skeletal remains, though. Pretty cool. Puritan US gives few chances to see decayed remains, however. Which is too bad. IMHO.

TNP doesn't give a rat's ass if private individuals choose to beat the shit out of each other, but greatly prefers giving the choice to an individual, rather than as part of a Joe's Pizza NFL "team." Those latter are what we call "suckers," or just as stupid as adjunct professors. Alteraate TNP, same as EH's. Additional TNP: TNP has no problem with dissecting various animals — frogs, dogs, whatever. It's just dead meat with good stuff inside.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 25 Aug 2018 at 05:46 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've never actually dissected anything, but doubt I would enjoy it much.

TNP has considered becoming a vegetarian.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. Not as a rule, but I find it's easier and cleaner to cook non-flesh foods. Just more convenient. So, while animal flesh in the US is pretty inexpensive, I enjoy trying to game the system and do what's easiest. Usually it's a vegetarian dish.

TNP thinks becoming a strict vegetarian or (gott verdammt) vegan is not worth the ideological committment.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Probably true, plus I'd miss a lot of tasty food.

TNP will go swimming this week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Only witches float on water. Since I'm not a witch, it would not be good.

TNP knows a coroner IRL.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I guess not at the moment, but I have in the past, sure.

TNP has had somebody die in their close proximity.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I never had the pleasure. Almost, my pops some months ago. Good chance to "pray" the rosary, though, I'd guess, if one can remember the Latin and is disrespectful enough to use reconstructed Latin pronunciation, rather than the Italianate pronunciation.

TNP is absolutely anoyed at the way the British "pronunciation" has corrupted scientific and legal pronunciation of Latin, and thinks there's really one way: the right way.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm sure we're almost all speaking Latin as the Emperor Hadrian never heard it, so no.

TNP knew that Capt. James T. Kirk's middle name is "Tiberius."

Registered
    Jul 2013

Of course. Shatner managed to wedge it into every other sentence.

TNP thinks Shatner is a delightful ham, and will be sorry when the banshees cry out for him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

True.

TNP has watched more than one episode of both I, Claudius and Rome.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I've seen 'em all, AFAIK. Good stuff, both of them. Despite the horrid Latin pronunciations in the former.

TNP has ever asked a ggggirl on a dddddate and has waited by the telephone. Or remembers what that's like.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, in my tttteens. Ah, Amy....

TNP has had a crush on one or more girls named Amy.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I had a childhood friend named Amy, but starting in preschool, then in HS, then in grad school there seems to be something about girls named Jessica. Kind of weird.

TNP would never "date" a woman he or she had never met IRL and had several RL conversations with.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If I were ever back in the dating arena, I would consider only in-person meetings as "dates." I'm old school that way. But a lot can be done online these days, they tell me....

TNP has used a dating service.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. It's called my massive ego and complete lack of shame, combined with the industry secret of alcohol. Unfortunately, the client list is rather small — it is a start-up business with great potential for growth.

TNP has talked with quite a few cab drivers in the past few months, and/or is not surprised they're generally not real happy in current situation.

+ Reply to thread