+ Reply to thread
Page 183 of 204 FirstFirst ... 83 133 173 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 193 ... LastLast
Results 9,101 to 9,150 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, don't think I'll need to anytime soon. I do have my temperature taken every morning I go to court, though.

TNP ought to buy some new shoes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, what’s the point, I don’t go anywhere.

TNP will probably never buy another suit.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Probably untrue, but it might be awhile. I'm pretty well set for now with the ones I have.

TNP has seen the Harrison Ford movie Air Force One in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I've never seen it. I've heard President "Ford" was rather insistent that various people "get off [his] plane," though.

TNP is pretty fond of steel toed shoes, or at least the idea of them, if not the added weight.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, haven’t worn them in decades, but I am glad my kid wears them at his golf course job.

TNP likes to watch schlocky old drive-in movies.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, not really my cup of tea. My faves tend to be action movies, sf, fantasy, mysteries, historical dramas or romcoms.

TNP has seen a good movie in one of those categories in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, I couldn't really say if it's been a week or ten days. Probably the latter. Maybe even a fortnight ago. I did rewatch the John Wick movies and found them Wickier than ever, in a good sense. Sure, I suppose sometime in that time, the answer should be 'affirmative.'

TNP has given the classic "dead-eyed stare" directly at a violator at work (maybe this is just my technique, but you look directly at the violator in his or her eyes, sort of unfocus your eyes, and hold the gaze for quite a while). Optional, after six or seven seconds, walk away, slowly shaking one's head.

Alternate TNP: TNP thinks whatever "big man upstairs" should really not give TNP the role of enforcing certain workplace rules.

Because, then, you get the jizzelbin treatment. And nobody wants that.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I've given my own Death Glare to people not acting safely during the pandemic. You do not want to see my Death Glare.

TNP has heard birdsong today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I sure have. Earlier today I heard what I believe to have been my beloved Steller's Jays scratching around under the eaves doing...whatever they do. Countless other bird songs and other bird stuff. There's a bird's nest in the warehouse which I couldn't see, but my buddy Ra Teasha warned me off standing directly underneath it. "Why?" I asked? "You don't want bird shit on your head, do you?" Still couldn't see it without my glasses on, but I believe that's a true fact.

TNP thinks if some PITA dickwad contractor POS asks for your name in an adversarial work setting, an appropriate response is to say, "I'm Spartacus," and then walk away.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If you are not legally required to answer him, sure! Better yet if coworkers will chime in with "I'm Spartacus, too!" "No, I'm Spartacus!" and "They're full of shit, pal; I'm Spartacus!"

TNP wishes he or she had a chin like Kirk Douglas.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hmmm....yeah, it was quite a chin. I'm happy enough with my strong chin, although there may be multiple, despite me being in OK physical shape. I wouldn't mind having his voice though, or at least be able to do a good impersonation of him. Yeah, he was definitely sui generis, that son of a rag-picking bitch. Love that guy: they broke the mold with him, for sure.

Aside: yeah, a chorus of coworkers would have been great, but even my dozen or so people I know pretty well there, maybe only two or three of the older ones would have picked up on the riff, and, anyway, it was a Walking Tall situation, just me versus a pack of violators.

TNP thinks snapping one's fingers to get someone's attention after failures at verbal intervention is completely appropriate. Maybe "on the edge," but still reasonable.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 02 Sep 2020 at 11:17 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, if nothing else works. I'm more likely just to raise my voice.

TNP has a coffee mug within arm's reach right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I did at the time of the posting: nice big cup of coffee, whole mik, good and hot. And the Jizzelbin looked upon it, drank of it, and said it was good. Now I have a nice cold 24 oz. (sorry Commonwealth people, you'll have to do your own arithmetic this time ) can of Steel Reserve 211 "Extra Malted Barley & Select Hops for Extra Gravity" where my coffee mug used to be.

TNP does not disparage instant coffee, for it is simple, potable, efficient, but has never been so desperate as to put the dessicated grounds directly in one's mouth, as one sees sometimes in the movies. For that may be a bridge too far.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 03 Sep 2020 at 08:01 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's not ideal, but I have drunk instant coffee now and then. I have indeed never been so desperate as to put coffee grounds directly into my mouth. Bleccch.

TNP prefers tea to coffee anyway.

Registered
    Jul 2013

In theory, a small cup of tea is more civilized and restrained than a giant mug or thermos of coffee, but I find tea (not herbal tea) to be a bit too acidic for me to take in quantity.

TNP has ever been as happy of a small purchase as I, namely, a dog "clicker" training device, to be used on people at work.

Read carefully "as proud as": it doesn't matter the device, just the degree of satisfaction.

And, no, children don't count as devices.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I just bought some cufflinks from the U.S. Capitol Historical Society that I like very much.

TNP has been inside the U.S. Capitol.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I've never been down to DC at all.

TNP has responded recently to a RL enquiry about, say, "Hey, Olympi* National Park, you been there? How do you get in there? There's roads right?" Or something equally ridiculous (Olymp* forest is huge, so no answer is going to be adequate). Something ridiculous, like "what's the main road into Ontario" or "How do you get to Lake Erie."

Ahhh. People are funny.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oddly enough, no, nothing like that has come up.

TNP hopes to have pizza this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I was thinking about it, but then I opened the fridge and remembered I didn't even eat half of the fried chicken I had yesterday.

TNP enjoys the fried chickens, but finds it hard to not think of a greasy jazz musician, say, Bird, or Paul Whiteman, sitting in the backseat of a taxi in NYC devouring such with gusto.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not until you mentioned it, no, but now I can certainly see it in my mind's eye. Somehow I more readily think of Elvis happily tucking into fried chicken, though. And I loves me some fried chicken, too!

TNP has used the phrase "I loves me some...." in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I've never used that phrase ever, to the best of my knowledge. But I do hates me some peanut butter and nanner sandwiches, probably!

TNP is just about had enough of this mask and social distancing bullshit, especially with no end in sight. It's really getting to be quite enough: not a good way to live day-to-day for the indefinite future, not for me and certainly the increase of social hostility can probably be partly blamed on this frustration.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, had enough in that I am unhappy. Not in that I am going to give up on something that’s been working and endanger myself and my wife.
    TNP has been drinking more the past few months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. I don't know about more: maybe even a bit less, but it's just messing up my sleep quality too much, so that's got to be ratcheted down statim. Not optimal.

TNP is very much pessimistic that this CV-19 crap is ever going to end, or at least stabilize.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I'm optimistic. This too shall pass, even though it's already taken too damn long. And that said, I agree with RET's sentiments entirely.

It's now raining outside where TNP lives.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. Hot as balls.

TNP thinks a worthy task for all ambulatory humans, young and old, is to master the "moonwalk" dance step. Difficult (IMHO) but so worth it!

Registered
    Sep 2009

If you wanna, go ahead. Not sure how "worthy" it is, though.

TNP could go for some blue cheese on a cracker right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, that sounds just perfect. Of course I'm making do with a frozen "Screamin' Sicilian" brand pepperoni pizza, after it cools off in temperature a bit. I guess that's pretty much grain and cheese, but not as good as a chčvre on a morcel of baguette or cracker, or any of various blue cheeses.

TNP has ever found a cheese so....interesting....that one has been tempted to prosleytize in its favor, such as Brunost (Norwegian brown cheese).

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have, as a matter of fact! I'm a big fan of Maytag blue cheese (from a dairy farm founded by a guy from the washing-machine company's family). VERY good stuff: https://www.maytagdairyfarms.com/

TNP has been on a dairy farm in the past ten years.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, it's been a bit longer than lot.

TNP has been in a working barn, hayloft an everything, in the past, say twenty years.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, it would've been longer ago for me, too.

TNP can hear a coworker speaking from where he or she is now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, no, and hell no. Although some of them are pretty low-key and amusing to chat with.

TNP has ever looked at electrical diagrams for a car and thought "Hell no, fuck this."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, but I would.

TNP has a lot of trouble following instructions that aren’t in written form.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I have a lot of trouble following instructions period, unless I'm convinced they would be ones I would have created for myself.

TNP can remember the last time he or she replaced a fuse (you know, such that you might find in a fuse box, not the stick of dynamite kind of fuse).

Registered
    Feb 2009

God, no. Probably closer to 40 years ago than 30.

TNP can remember the last time they flipped a circuit breaker.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Not the exact specific time, but recently-ish. I sometimes toggle them to check if something's screwed up. Not too often, but it happens.

TNP has ever been in the near proximity of very large forest fires.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Sep 2020 at 01:45 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, fortunately. I've seen footage and they look freakin' scary.

TNP is friends with a firefighter.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I think he's still a friend. We've talked recently and he doesn't live too far away now, by coincidence. As it were a former forest-fire fighter (I don't know what the term is). One of my crew back in the day, playing music, eating a bunch of acid, working in restaurants. Little guy, you know: tough, but not a big hulking dude. He went off to northern California and joined a brigade of professional backwoods firefighters for at least a few years.

TNP carries or wears a few medallions, ornaments, or such pretty much and doesn't think it's too ridiculous. I'll exclude wedding bands, because while those fit the description, are too ubiquitous.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, other than my wedding band, as you mentioned.

TNP heard rainfall today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. That would be nice.

TNP must choose between (i) Paul Masson's Emerald Dry and (ii) André's Cold Duck. Even if one has not tasted both in a refined, controlled setting.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll go with the Cold Duck, because at least I've heard of that.

TNP prefers duck ŕ l'orange to Cold Duck.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah. I think a chicken leg or two and a bottle of Cold Duck or two sounds better.

(Paul Masson's "Emerald Dry" is one of the products hawked by Orson Welles on TV commercials, as in "Drink no wine before its time." I have never seen it in a grocery, ever, much less drank it. Cold Duck is not bad at all. A cheap sparkling wine, and it has a badass jazz tune named after it, "Cold Duck Time.")

TNP could probably be convinced to drink reindeer urine to get the effects of the amanita muscaria mushroom without the pesky toxins.

Registered
    Sep 2009

LOL. No, thanks, I'm good.

TNP thinks Reindeer Urine would be a great band name.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure, it's OK. That sounds like something some musicians would come up with. "We should call ourselves 'Reindeer Urine' in tribute man, like it's our origin story, right in the name! And they have to play it on the radio because it's the proper name for it, man!"

TNP has been very recently disappointed to find a local store no longer stocks a desired specialty item.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, would have to go to stores for that to happen.

TNP is in a funk.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I'm feeling pretty good, despite all the crazy stuff in the world right now. (Hope you're doing OK, RET - just remember you have friends here who want only the best for you).

TNP would like to travel a lot more once the pandemic passes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Lots more. Used to have fun trips every summer, this year just made it to Niagara Falls for a few days.

TNP has a favourite musical.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If I had to pick just one, it would be G&S's Mikado, in a production of which I appeared in high school. But I also like (off the top of my head and after checking the Tony listings on Wikipedia) Hamilton, 1776, Les Miserables, Fiddler on the Roof, The Pirates of Penzance, H.M.S. Pinafore, Jersey Boys, The Lion King, Guys and Dolls, My Fair Lady, The Music Man, Five Guys Named Moe, Godspell, Xanadu and some others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

TNP has seen and enjoyed at least three of those.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, sure. We did and toured HMS Pinafore in high school around the PNW in the US for about ten days or two weeks. I was a sailor! Some good tunes. 1776 is great. "Sit down, John, sit down! Someone open up a window!" And I like the tunes from My Fair Lady: a lot of them became instrumental jazz standards. Good melodies and harmonies. And, yes, sometimes when washing dishes I inexpertly try to sing "These Are My Friends" from Sweeney Todd (sp). I'm just a very happy man, is all!

TNP has recently opened a case with HR in very strongly worded language, including words like "demand" and "expect" or whatever.

Alternate TNP: TNP knows what the standard US IRS (taxation federal bureau) deduction is per mile. And knows how to use it.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 17 Sep 2020 at 06:38 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No to both, although I have written some cross emails to HR when nothing else seems to get through (it took me months to get my accumulated vacation time, which I had been assured I could carry over from one job to the next, to be transferred).

TNP knew that today is Constitution Day in the U.S.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I'd have guessed it's /*something*/ day, like pie-eating day or something.

TNP wouldn't have any idea how to celebrate a "Constitution Day." Fireworks? Meh... I got nothing, so TNP tell us.

+ Reply to thread