+ Reply to thread
Page 187 of 204 FirstFirst ... 87 137 177 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 197 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,350 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

An investment towards personal happiness, sure.

TNP will be going on a long trip in the next week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Maybe a mental trip to the eye of the maelstrom.

TNP can think of an explanation why various companies or agencies (utility companies, government offices, etc.) seem unable or unwilling to communicate via e-mail, and insist on telephonic communication for certain things. And "for security" doesn't count as an answer: that can be fixed. It's medieval!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm. That's odd. Less of an electronic record to be looked up later if something goes wrong? Quicker for their staff to talk than to be typing?

TNP is a fast, accurate typist.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. 70-90 wpm, approaching 100% accuracy. Maybe not super-steno-pool speed, but pretty fast. Unless writing in casual e-mails or in forums, then I make no guarantees about accuracy. Also, the more years I've spent reading, the worse my spelling has become.

TNP thinks "touch-typing" is a gimmick, which is unnecessary for those with a knowledge of the keyboard and sufficient practice, and who have no need for greater technical speed. Sort of like the Dvorak keyboard.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I guess. Haven't given it too much thought, though.

TNP took a brisk walk today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure, yesterday I walked a bunch. Will do the same today. Yeah, brisk is the word, but it feels less invigorating with even a surgical mask impeding one's airflow.

TNP knows his or her "ranking" in terms of groups to receive at least the first bolus of The Vaccine.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, that's kind of up in the air right now, as a matter of fact. But I should find out soon.

TNP will be celebrating Christmas today, and if so, will say how.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. I'm meeting my mother and I assume probably my father at an outdoor park Christmas morning for a kind of "brunch" with social distancing. Perhaps the nephews might come along too. My contribution are some airline-size bottles of Jameson whiskey I had the foresight to buy today before work, given the abridged hours of the liquor store. I offered to bring Cheetos, but was told she/(perhaps they) have the food covered. True story.

I intend to bring some Church to the (one hopes brief) encounter by bringing along the Order of the Mass in the universal language. Yes, my Christmas "gift" will be Irish whiskey and unrelenting abuse of the Latin tongue.

TNP wore something relatively festive today, on Christmas Eve Day. For example, a red shirt, in my case, but the possibilities are endless, as one observes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I had a green sweater and wore red socks with little Christmas tree on them.

TNP has a particularly ugly Christmas item of clothing like a sweater.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I don't have any xmas clothes at all, I don't think. Some red, some green articles of clothing, though. I don't think I have any genuinely ugly clothes at all, unless the myth that "cargo shorts are unfashionable" is true. Which it is not.

TNP considers it Christmas until at the very minimum Epiphany, and perhaps a bit longer (Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, Jan. 10th this coming year). And is perturbed that people put away their reindeer ear headbands and probably would respond to "Merry Christmas" with "up yours!" Inconceivable heresy.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I always think Christmas starts 'way too early (all-Christmas-music radio stations before Thanksgiving? Nooo!) but then it ends far too soon.

TNP still has a present to unwrap.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Just unwrapped one of the last gifts to myself from myself: a bottle of Kilbeggan Small Batch Rye. First thing after work. And by "unwrapped" I mean cut the foil seal and removed the cork and poured a few fingers in a clean glass. Not tasted yet.

TNP plans to buy himself or herself at least one more small gift during the Christmas season, and thinks TNP should probably say what that might be.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, as a matter of fact, I think I may get some glassware online soon.

TNP has listened to Handel lately.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not recently, no.

TNP has a definite preference about the best breakfast meat.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, but I'm not going to tell. That would be cheating.

TNP will adjudicate on this matter of global importance: whiskies, Irish, or Scotch? Lives depend on this question!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Irish, if push comes to shove.

TNP will adjudicate on bourbon vs. rye.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, I'd go from recent 30% plus rye mash bills for the ryes, which is pretty high for the Irish, but low for the KY/TN rye whiskies. Even the malignable Ezra Brooks from Kentucky, which is rough, but drinkable. I like the bourbons as well, but it can be difficult to find one that isn't too sweet for my tastes. One of these days I'll finish off the middle-of-the-shelf Irish whiskies. Although, TBH, I'd rather just drink Powers Gold, but my local shop doesn't carry Powers.

TNP has occasionally just picked a bottle off the shelf based on looks or sounds, and has not been disappointed gravely. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! I shouldn't say this, but a whiskey is like a woman: better some than not at all, and one never knows without trying, but often the appearance indicates the quality.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 02 Jan 2021 at 09:07 PM. Reason: idiocy

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, not being especially well-informed on such things (especially wine), I will confess that a nice label sometimes is juuuuust enough for me to reach for my wallet.

TNP has been to Chicago in the past three years.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Although it's an appealing city, in some ways, I'd like to spend more time in.

TNP thinks it's rude and unprofessional to record one's (private) incoming voicemail greeting as "Hi, you've reached xxxxxxxxxx. Due to an unprecedented number of calls, we ask that you reach us by text or e-mail." (After deliberately filling up one's voicemail "box"). On the premiss that there's no possible reason for anyone except an unsuccessful troglodyte, a fool, a troll, or maybe a cop to leave a voicemail.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, ideally, everyone should be reachable at work by phone, email or text, but I know that's not how the world works, especially during this #$%^&! pandemic.

TNP has followed the news from the U.S. Capitol very closely in recent days.

Registered
    Feb 2009

For a Canadian, pretty damn closely. Never really believed I would see this.

TNP is hoping for a President who gives his Twitter account to a 22 year old intern who does nothing with it but send birthday wishes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, and even that at the very most. I think it's absurd to use a child's software platform like Twitter in any professional capacity. Unless one is, maybe an entertainer of some sort.

TNP can remember the last time he or she had an injection in the ass. You know, one of the buttocks, not literally the asshole (I don't think the latter exists as a practice, but I could be wrong). No need to give details, but whatever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I know I did when I was a kid, but it's been a loooong time, and I don't remember when, exactly, or what it was for.

TNP has spoken to a doctor in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, just an FNP, whatever that is. And some very nice nurselets.

TNP thinks those bastards who raised tobacco taxes in several states recently can suck it. Apologies to any bastards out there.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, they can jack 'em up as high as they like. Raises revenue and discourages tobacco use, which is OK with me.

TNP would say 2021 is more good than bad so far.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Couldn’t go that far. Back in province wide lockdown, find the situation in the States disturbing.

TNP is thinking about 2022 vacations,on the assumption that 2021 is likely to be another gong show.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Call me a fool, but I'm pretty optimistic about 2021, and in particular about provisional vaccinations.. It seems to me the time where rubber meets the road, especially since it can hardly be any worse than 2020. Well, you know, maybe Hegel's dialectical wheel is applicable. Obviously, I don't know, but I have a good feeling about the immediate future. Really, one must, lest one go mad in some way.

TNP has yet again been disappointed by the overly-peated nose and finish of some bog-standard Scotch whiskies. Bollocks, one could say.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not I, but then, I haven't drunk too many of them.

TNP has green placemats on his or her dinner table at the moment.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Dinner table? What is this strange thing! OK, yes, I have a table that was probably built for dining upon, but holds microphones, an audio mixer, a power amp....and a bunch of papers....so...that's negative. It is possible I might have some placemats around somewhere, but I'm pretty sure they're not green. So, no, false. Final answer.

TNP thinks today was an especially good day to ironically wear a T-shirt advertising Miller High Life, and a khaki fishing/tactical vest to work. You know, so if a cop pulls you over, they can tell you're on the insurrection side. The "good" side.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, sure. At least, that's what Walter Sobchak tells me....

TNP has seen The Big Lebowski in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Was talking about the movie with some guy at work the other day, though. That's when I unfurled my intention to parodize Walter Sobchak, on the day before 20-jan-2021. A promise that was fulfilled on the inauguration day of this week.

TNP has had long and difficult thoughts about why people seem to often misspell, to one's surprise, the village in Switzerland "Montreux" as "Montreaux."

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, actually, I haven't. I don't think I've ever actually had to write that word in my life, but if I did, I'd probably just cut and paste it from Wikipedia or something to make sure I got it right.

TNP knows that the title of the guy who swore in President Biden is "Chief Justice of the United States" - no more, no less (a pet peeve of mine is that people often add "Supreme Court" to the title in one way or another).

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I did not. I don't often refer to Mr Roberts IRL, but if I did, I would surely have made a mistake. I'd just call him "Chief Justice Roberts," but that's because (i) am lazy (ii) the ranking of federal judges is too complicated for me to remember who or what.

TNP thinks a good policy is to call cops "sir" or "ma'am" and any judge whatsoever "your honor." TNP can think of a good exception which would amuse me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, usually a good policy. If you wanted to be arrested or held in contempt, and didn't particularly care if you were, I suppose you could come up with a really good insult (I had a friend who once was muttering about some judge he didn't like, and said I'd give him him $20 if he called the jurist "Judgey Wudgey" to his face; he didn't take me up on my offer).

TNP knows a judge personally.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sure, my wife for one.

TNP has been watching way more movies lately.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, about the same as usual. We have been watching more much-praised miniseries, though (right now, The Queen's Gambit).

TNP loves chess.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. Well, I would rather say I like the game a lot, although I'm only able to hold my own against fellow unaccomplished enthusiasts, and I don't play hardly ever, and wouldn't consider playing online, even against some former friends. I mean, I would, but that's a lot of effort, whereas IRL, all it takes is a little board and some men and pieces. Or in fact none at all, if you're drinking beer at a bar and call out moves to a fellow player. Involves a lot of unflattering facial expressions while thinking of a move, though, IME.

It is more a "love" of chess in the sense that I think it's able to be a source of analogies in other areas of broader ideas of strategy, tactics, intuition, and triumph. An excellent game.

TNP loves kung fu.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never done it myself, but I have no objection to movies about dudes fighting with it.

TNP is a Bruce Lee fan.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. Although it's not easy to tell the man from the legends, for me it's easy to find inspiration from his notion that, at least his own particular "brand" of fighting, was meant to be eminently practical, rather than dogmatic or overly theoretical.

I don't think I've seen all of his few movies (at least two I haven't seen, I'm sure)........it's hard to think of the titles because of the way they got confused in distribution in the US.

TNP has been surprised in the extreme to what extent one can buy very drinkable, interesting whiskies at the price range of, say 20-30 USD (per 750 ml bottle aka the infamous "fifth").

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not in Ontario, and God knows when I will be in an American liquor store again.

TNP is looking forward to baseball season.

Registered
    Jul 2013

True. In principle. But last year it was kind of a bummer, what with the whole thing and all that.

TNP either knows who Paavo Nurmi was or that Finnish public statues often feature their subjects nude, as in the image in the link (which is a pretty badass statue, really!).

Registered
    Sep 2009

I had heard of the name but couldn't have told you who he was.

TNP knows personally a person from Finland.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Somewhat. A pretty close acquaintance in frequent correspondence. Oh, in the flesh, yeah, I knew at least one Finnish guy from grad school. He was kind of a dick. But I like my familiar Finnish friend now much better.

TNP is surprised to know that one of the major "news" stories in the Finnish press about Biden's inauguration is about how an extract from Sibelius's Finlandia was played, and authorial credit was given to a guy from one of the US branches with the rank of major. I can't tell if they're half-joking or serious, but it's a real thing! The latest is that this terrible deed was inspired by John Glenn's admiration of the Sibelius piece, so they're sort of OK with it now. And yet the investigation continues!

Registered
    Sep 2009

I hadn't heard that before, but yes, I am surprised. John Glenn was a hero of mine but obviously no composer. Glad this little controversy hasn't yet brought Finland and the U.S. to the brink of war.

TNP has a favorite pre-1980 astronaut or cosmonaut.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom. No real reason, just something of a dramatic life and career, up to and including his gruesome demise, along with his crew.

TNP has heard the aphorism or proverb "Well begun is half done." (I think it's from pre-Attic Greek. I'll include the Finnish formulation for no reason at all: "Hyvin suunniteltu on puoliksi tehty.")

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I have heard that, but not in awhile.

TNP has heard the maxim "A change is as good as a rest."

Registered
    Jul 2013

Never have. I like: not even being sarcastic, that's pretty good.

TNP know anything about one of the signatories of the US Declaration of Independence, named John "Morton." For example, his ethnicity. And, yes, I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with this.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, not familiar with him. Not even sure I'd read his name before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M...an_politician)

TNP has been to Chester, Pa.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Don’t think so, at least don’t remember seeing it from a train.

TNP has travelled across the USA by train.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, a few times. West Coast to NYC, same to Buffalo. At least twice. Not for the scenery (there's not much to see during in the dark of night making a stop at Minot, ND), just had the time and thought it was more fun than dealing with the airports and all that. One segment (Amtrak) has (or had) a nice layover for a few hours in Chicago, for changing trains: enough time to stash one's stuff in a locker and have a few beers, walk around, all that.

TNP is not too jaded or cynical to relish good examples to observe people at some length.

+ Reply to thread