+ Reply to thread
Page 161 of 204 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 171 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,050 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I have vivid dreams only a few times a year, as far as I know.

TNP wakes up from most dreams feeling a bit wistful.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I feel stimulated, invigorated, and surprised. Yes I remember the vast majority of them, or I would if it wouldn't take me hours to write them all down.

TNP knows a "big" (for a hick town) bookstore about which it would be a real shame if something happened to it. Bunch of illiterate rubes staffing the store who don't know shit, and who don't know shit about how to operate a store in a city center. ZOMG homeless might come in! So scary! Bunch of illiterate pussies, who also happen to be chiseling little weasels.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, the only big, good bookstore I know of is well-run and always worth a visit.

TNP has bought an actual dead-tree-edition book in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yep. Hardcover, to boot. It's a guide to how to do a bunch of shit in a flavor of Linux called Red Hat Enterprise Linux aka CentOS or Red Hat Fedora, Scientific Linux, or some other virtually-identical forks without obligation to purchase the Enterprise-level of technical support from RHEL (although they do have a beta-ish Developer's edition which is available free of license obligations). And, yes, it is boring as shit, but it's good as a reference if you need to quickly look something up and don't want to look it up online. Although, aside fom use in industry, I don't see much value in Red Hat flavors of Linux: straight Debian or one of its many forks are just as powerful AFAIK and, since there are so many of them, it's very easy to find one pre-tuned to your specific needs.

TNP thinks "penetration tester" is a pretty neat job title. Because of, you know.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, worth putting on a T-shirt.

TNP has more than 3 t-shirts with words on them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, hell yes. Dozens, even.

TNP has at least three T-shirts that refer to different movies or TV shows.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't know if I still have those, or where they would be, but I used to have a Travis Bickle T-shirt, one with Jack from The Shining, and one that just said Designing Women on the front from when I was made to go to a live taping as a kid. Still wish I had that one, because it would be funny to wear it. Maybe more. Don't remember. I do still wear a Led Zep T-shirt with the ZOSO symbols on it occasionally, just to let people know they shouldn't fuck with me or I'll do unspeakable things with a mud shark to them. But's that no movie, that's real life, man!

TNP can say without looking it up what a traditional liturgical service for Catholics on Good Friday (i.e., today) does and definitely does not involve.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm Episcopalian, which is pretty close liturgically, so I'm going to guess it involves a reading or reenactment of the Passion, maybe the Eucharist, but does not involve juggling cats.

TNP would never even dream of juggling a cat.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, if I could do it in a way that didn't hurt the cat, I'd give it a try.

BTW, the thing I was going for was that mass is never celebrated/consumed on Good Friday in the Catholic church. Never.

TNP likes a good Stations of the Cross, just for laughs.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've seen some very striking ones, but they've never made me laugh.

TNP will very likely eat a chocolate bunny in the next two days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Absolutely not. Some things, like that "movie" Brown Bunny can never be unseen. No, in fact, I decided to go in to work after mass instead of going over to meet up with the sister and her family and the nephews' grandparents and such. I like to participate in the kids' finding easter eggs and stuff, but unless they send out a text saying they're offering time off due to lack of volume at the warehouse, I'd rather just do my usual Sunday stuff.

TNP has tried, but failed, to understand the nuances of the Mueller report released a few days ago (US political issue, supposedly important, but in practice, likely not).

Registered
    Sep 2009

False. I haven't read it, but I have read some decent summaries and think I understand it in broad terms.

TNP has no plans to invite Robert Mueller over for beer and pretzels.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I highly doubt his presence at one of my Bacchanals would be welcome. Maybe he has a daughter or much younger sister? Or if he has a trained pet monkey or can do amusing things it could be allowed, I suppose. By that latter criterion, Nixon was supposedly a really fun guy in private life, so, sure.

TNP has applied for a relatively respectable job, and was likely to get it, but had second thoughts even before going through the telephone interview stage. Maybe something like "seller's remorse," in a way.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not quite, although I was once offered a job after a lengthy application and interview process. When offered, I turned it down, because I thought I was likely to get a better job elsewhere. Turned out, fortunately, that I was right.

TNP would like to have bowled with RMN: http://static.messynessychic.com/wp-...xonbowling.jpg

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really. I just don't like bowling: always standing up, sitting down, listening to shitty music, fingering some disgusting ball. In some ways it resembles a good game like pool or billiards, except you can stay standing up, plotting and scheming your next moves, and scrutinizing the table with pool. Nixon, to my mind's eye, seemed more like a guy you could probably get to drinking with and play dueling pianos and talk about the events of the day, including sports (especially if you're a football fan). Maybe he wasn't a drinker, but I suspect he probably was.

TNP has been known to pop into the grocery store on a day off resembling The Dude Lebowski — sweater, sunglasses, shoes with no socks, shorts, for example — and doesn't feel the least bit bad about it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I don't always dress up, that's for sure. And the Dude abides.

TNP has seen The Big Lebowski at least three times.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yep. I really don't know how many times, but surely more than three. And that despite that I really have a visceral sense of distaste at many of the graphic, fantastic elements in the movie. But it's still an extraordinary movie with dialogue etched in granite, and some world-beating performances.

TNP can name a work of art that he or she admires in spite of what he or she considers to be profound flaws or moments he or she skips over regularly.

ETA]"BTW, the thing I was going for was that mass is never celebrated/consumed on Good Friday in the Catholic church. Never." Well, OK. Hardly ever. I think there's some extreme unction or whatever, and sometimes the celebrant delivers the eucharist using the consecrated host from Holy Thursday [no, I refuse to call it Maundy Thursday, but same thing]. Sometimes the celebrant in persona celebrates the mass including the Eucharist for himself, but, no, in general, there's no mass on Good Friday, except perhaps the liturgy of the word (i.e., the first half of the mass). I suppose it varies, and I'm no theologian.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 21 Apr 2019 at 11:14 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The letters of transit make absolutely no sense in Casablanca, and shouldn't have those magical powers even if they did exist, but it's my favorite movie anyway.

I'm not Catholic, but have no reason to doubt what you say about the Eucharist. I don't think the Episcopal Church, of which I'm a member, offers Eucharist on Good Friday either.

TNP went to church for Easter Sunday today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I just got back from the last mass of the day from my parish after playing hookie from work and seeing my nephews and family.

You do NOT want to hear my opinions about this watered down George Winston major-key diatonic shit these motherfuckers were singing along to. Fuck them. Actually, I observed the singer and pianist pretty closely as they were preparing for mass and...they had some disagreements about chord changes and such. I couldn't hear them talking, they were just, you know, getting it together.

No. No. No. No. No fucking way no. Not ever. No. Goddamned it there are centuries of good liturgical music and you want to sound like Elton John pushing the beat and doing diatonic hammer-ons on piano.

I'm not singing along to that shit. Not ever.

No. Fucking. Way.

BUT, I sort of did a bit of everything today: screwed off going into work, got to play with my nephews, my Dad had a private conversation with my sister and me about how he felt when he was 99% near death in the hospital last year, we had some hugs (which I initiated, because they're big babies and someone had to man up), drank a bunch of beer in a dive, played some pool with a probable lesbian but it was still fun, then went to mass, but did not celebrate the eucharist, then came home.

Wouldn't say it's a perfect day, but I got a lot done for just screwing around with the locals.

TNP has a hair-trigger for what he or she considers music in bad taste or just plain bad, but always no choice but to just deal with it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ETA it was kind of interesting mass: the traditional reading from OT and from...I think it was from Revelations today, but I don't recall. But it didn't follow the regular pattern: there was the kyrie eleison, and, unusually for this parish, the incense, but there was a LOT as in a SHIT TON of GODDAMNED singing! If I wanted to sing some child's tune, I'd just miracle myself up to heaven in Freddie Krueger's head or something. And they didn't follow the usual ordinary of the mass: maybe it's special because of Easter, but I don't like a lot of shit to change willy-nilly.

For example, there was no Credo, but there was the Pater noster. Meh, it's all right.

Just, please, lady standing behind me — yeah, your voice is pretty good and you can carry a tune. Except the tune is shit and you're shit for singing it. Stand for excellence, if nothing else.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As to the hair trigger, yes. Sometimes I hate it but the most I'll do is roll my eyes and later complain to my wife.

TNP enjoyed a chocolate bunny or some jelly beans yesterday.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I abstained.

TNP thinks one of the best things about having a wife or being a LT live-in relationship is complaining and hearing complaints. Because it's fun!

Registered
    Sep 2009

No way, Jose! Although we're pretty forthright with each other, I wouldn't say that complaints are a fun part of being married.

TNP knows someone who's been married at least 50 years.

Registered
    Feb 2009

yeah, sure, my sister and brother-in-law.

TNP has a definite opinion on the olive vs. twist issue for martinis.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nope. I doubt I've drunk more than three martinis in my entire life.

TNP has a definite opinion in the black vs. green olive debate.

Registered
    Jul 2013

In martinis? Green (although I wouldn't drink a martini, really, if I could have a pitcher of gimlets, served over, with a twist). In general? I like black olives in food and stuff, especially some of those funny looking ones from the fancy part of the grocery store.

TNP has bought a religious text recently. Interpret how you want, but explain.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, it's been years.

TNP has, at any time, read a religious text from cover to cover.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, probably not. I don't think I've read a book cover-to-cover, if that means "start at page one and stop when you hit the back cover." Many books end up read, and indeed studied, just not in the primat traditional order.

TNP reads and has read a lot, but has never used a proper bookmark ever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty much true. I'm more likely to use a scrap of paper or, if I want to take notes, a folded sheet.

TNP is reading three different books lately.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Heh. Haha. Hahahahahaha. No, that's a pretty literal transcription of my descent into laughter out-loud. Anyway, that's affirmative. And I mean actual reading the books, not just dipping into them. Hahaha. Yeah, there are a bunch on the top of the stack, and they're all active.

I'd complain that I'm drowning in a sea of books, were it not that I sort of did it to myself. And I just ordered two right now that should be arriving in two days: The ordinary of the Mass in Nine Languages, and a small paperback of the book of Psalms (the Psalter) in the Clementine Vulgate Latin. I'm looking forward to those, but not so much for reading front-to-back.

And I'm not counting works of music in scores, although those I tend to read more-or-less front-to-back, while returning to favorite or interesting/confusing passages. They tend to be short in pages, though, but long in content.

ETA I'll explain briefly about reading "cover-to-cover": it's somewhat idiomatic, as a style of reading, for various types of books, to preserve a certain order. For example, in book-length essays on technical philosophical subjects, it's common to read the abstract, then the conclusion, and proceed through the argument as follows while referring to the preface when needed. Among students of narrative, it's not uncommon to read a novel essential "backwards," in order to note certain features of character development. Larger-form poetic works are an exception, however, in general. Most generally, I find that the fullest appreciation of most books come from "covering" the work as one pleases. Biographies and many works of history are an exception. So, no, I don't say "never," but there are a number of styles of reading that have long histories and many adepts.

TNP regrets doing something similar in writing to referring to his or her company's actions as a "brown stain."
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 24 Apr 2019 at 10:17 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ha! No, I don't think I've ever used that phrase in any context.

TNP has a brown coat.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Tan raincoat. Brown tweed sportcoat. Light brown silk houndstooth sportcoat. I think that's about it. Khaki Walter Sobchak-style outdoor vest.

TNP is completely knackered after this week and is probably going to do not much than spend time in bed, chewing aspirin and reading.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If only! I am feeling a bit tired, but have lots of stuff coming up, including a birthday party for a very good friend and a trip out of town with my wife and son.

TNP has been to Delaware.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Been to", in the sense of passing through in a train.

TNP has spend time in Rhode Island.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I don't think I ever have. Or if I did, it was long enough ago, and brief enough, it just didn't stick in my mind.

TNP thinks Providence is a good name for a city.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually, yeah. Never thought about it before, but it's a good name. Never been to P-town. Never been to Lickskillet, KY, neither. OTOH, the word is pretty firmly associated in my mind with a kind of Calvinist theology, so....revised answer? I'm not sure if it's a good name, but it's been there a while, so I'll allow it.

TNP has been pleasantly surprised by the quality of a book he or she expected very little of in the way of durability and legibility recently.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I'm enjoying Dashiell Hammett's 1929 hardboiled detective novel Red Harvest more than I thought I would.

TNP is a Hammett fan.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. In fact a long time ago an acquaintance who became a good friend surprised me by mentioning the novel Red Harvest when we were talking about Hammett. For the life of me I can't remember anything about the book, except I know there's a paperback of it around here somewhere. I think at some point I've read a lot of the famous "hard-boiled" novels — probably for the same reasons the Cary Grant character in Philadelphia Story was up on novels. Don't remember.

TNP's affection for the smaller-format "pocket paperback" size of book knows few bounds. Can fit anything, no matter how dense or scholarly, in those motherfuckers. Lazy Americans, they don't even try

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, a little book you can tuck in your pocket can be fun.

TNP likes the smell of old pulpy paperbacks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not at all. Actually, I'm pretty sure most of my small library smells of pipe tobacco and dust — not too careful about that kind of thing. I don't mind the aroma of older books — in fact, it's necessary in many cases to abide by their conditions, since a number of important works can really only be had in comparatively ancient iterations. About pocket-paperbacks: I just pulled three at random from my "lit crit" section. So, Paul Zumthor, Essai de poétique médiévale, Henri Meschonnic, Poésie sans réponse, Kristeva, La révolution du langage poétique. All three are thick, serious books (whatever one might say about their enduring merit — certainly the Zumthor is an uncontested classic, but Meschonnic is not really fashionable as a literary critic, I'd guess, any longer, if he ever was, and Kristeva is probably going to be better known for her more popular cultural criticism works than her earlier work as a linguist), but they still are in the pocket-paperback format. I find the "trend" in Anglo publication to trade-paperback format upsetting and undemocratic. ETA However, I suspect that the French publishing industry is susceptible to some subsidies or grants, and it is true that many of the scholarly texts published under its ægis have a certain disregard for proper citations and niceties like indices and so forth. Not all, but I don't just make this up, it's well known. However, having available for a cheap price entire multi-volume histories of Europe, histories of philosophy, histories of art, for that matter, by uncontroversial authorities in this format is, to my knowledge, virtually unknown in the Anglosphere of publishing. Not entirely unknown, but it's uncommon.

TNP finds that, just as often as not, he or she demands a book with footnotes and a bibliography, since one can't read an abosrbing fiction without changing one's diet from time to time.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 27 Apr 2019 at 10:18 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, true enough.

TNP gets bored easily.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, so long as I have a book or a DVD nearby, I'm never bored.

TNP has waited a long time in a government office in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I avoided that by ditching an "identity verification" appointment with my local IRS office. C'mon. Time+parking costs? Fuck it. Keep your fucking sixty dollar refund, you ho-bags.

TNP avoids parking and driving in his her "downtown" city area at any costs, as a normal citizen. Exempted are those who have a regular parking garage with a guaranteed spot or those who are perverts or masochists.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I tend to, yes, depending on where, exactly, I'm going. Fortunately I do have parking provided at work.

TNP has owned more than five cars in his or her lifetime.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I think more like three if you count the car this ex-thing and I shared often, and therefore the costs of upkeep and so on. You know, household expense. Of course she got to hit my car at the time with rocks to get the frozen snow off, and I just kept her tank of gas-guzzling large car full of gasoline and we took turns getting it past vehicle inspection and the odd repairs. Sure, it was equitable. I guess you could count the car I used in HS as number four, but I didn't buy it (what, a 1980 or so Volvo 240 or whatever — I probably should have just bought it with a week's worth of pay from a summer job, but I didn't, and my parents didn't pay for it either, it was just a cast-off from somebody they/we knew), just paid for fuel, so I wouldn't call that "my" car. Although I did bad things in it.

TNP would not think he or she would get bored if he or she had no recorded or printed media of any sort, nor any semi-permanent recording implements like pencils or paper to use. Also, all sexual organs are unavailable for use.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 Apr 2019 at 11:07 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

With all that taken away, hell yes I'd be bored!

TNP has been to the town of Delaware, Ohio.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, still haven't been to Ohio that I can recall. Maybe we'll get to Cleveland this summer.

TNP has been to Washington D.C., and Washington State.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, both. The Federal City many times, including two brief stints on Capitol Hill (and my son goes to university there now), and to Washington State just once, I think, for a visit to Seattle.

TNP knew there was a George, Washington: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George,_Washington

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, had no idea. Cute name for a town, though. Those whacky northerners.

TNP thinks wearing a button-down collared shirt soaked through with sweat is a pretty gross "look," rather than a testament to machismo.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Absolutely.

TNP has heard of Euge Groove before:

+ Reply to thread