+ Reply to thread
Page 198 of 204 FirstFirst ... 98 148 188 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 ... LastLast
Results 9,851 to 9,900 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, that's generally true. That, and the chance to do some good and to help some people choose a better path in life.

TNP has been in Columbus, Ohio in the past year.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, probably true.

TNP agrees that the various totally worthless characters one works with professionally are the worst part of "the job."

Registered
    Jul 2013

100% Some of these people are as useful as a dug up body, and some of them actively inhibit any kind of effort, like dangerous lumps in the road.

TNP has ever been chastised for using "unprofessional" language directed at the incompetent and unwilling on the job.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, have managed to avoid that, even with the guy who kept calling himself the “office iconoclast”. Really wanted to tell him that the Greek for “moron”is not “iconoclast”, but “moron.”

TNP likes banana peppers on pizzas, sandwiches and so forth.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, don't really care for them.

TNP will usually add hot peppers to pizza when the opportunity presents itself.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure! Hell, I add hot peppers to hot pepper, when the time is right. And, FTR, I love banana peppers. Good stuff.

TNP is pretty damned good at not responding to direct verbal insults with any kind of vitriol, although he or she can be very upset indeed.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I'm a lover, not a fighter, and don't typically fight fire with fire, but I've been known to grit my teeth as I walk away from those situations.

TNP is reading a very good book these days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. 99 Critical Shots in Pool and Banking With the Beard. It's been a long time since I've really studied books, but these are worth the effort to me.

TNP: Theory, practice, or both. And why! </James Lipton>

Registered
    Sep 2009

Both! Life is too diverse and interesting to be reduced to just one or the other.

TNP: Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway or someone else?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, I'd go Picard, I guess. If only because Kirk already had the wrath, inspired the ire, and is, to me, much more a spoken word artist than an O6 or O10 (I guess) might be. TBH I don't know who Sisko is, and I only know about Janeway from scuttlebutt in the year two thousand, or whatever.

TNP has ever been reprimanded at work (or, hell, even in social life) for passing vocal, but direct and reasonably polite criticisms of members of his or her profession. Or, "profession," if one prefers.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I've been reprimanded for other things, but not that.

TNP wants to learn more about Benjamin Sisko, commanding officer of Deep Space Nine: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Benjamin_Sisko

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I looked at the wiki page, so I guess "true." I think my curiosity is sated at this moment, though. The actor looks like somebody I vaguely recognize (either another actor or the self-same actor...can't be sure)!

TNP is completely done with any kind of comic book/superhero movies. At least the ones from this milennium. TNP can have no more of it!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely not. I usually enjoy them, and there are several recent one I'd like to see that I haven't had the chance to yet (especially the newest Spiderman and Batman films).

TNP will be asleep in the next half-hour.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Definitely not then, nor today, since my place of commerce is closed tomorrow. Anyway, I strive to be asleep by 1900 anyways. Except for special cirumstances. I'm caught up in watching The Love Witch and finishing this bottle of Paddy's, so must not go asleep.

TNP has very second (or third, or fifth) thoughts about committing to wearing a beard, and trimming it and all that. BUT He or she finds it very reinvigorating after ending a relationship to do it again.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've had a beard for awhile now and occasionally think of shaving it off, but then I think better of it, and keep it. Shaving my whole face again every morning holds little allure for me.

TNP went for a long walk today.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not yet, maybe at lunchtime or tonight.

TNP likes olives on pizza, possibly green more than black.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never did. My typical combos are pepperoni and pineapple, or pepperoni and red (or green) peppers, or sausage and mushrooms.

TNP could go for some pizza right about now, come to think of it....

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sort of. I've been liking putting pieces of Naan bread in an oven with some olive oil, granulated garlic, some pulverized "parmesan" cheese, black pepper, red chile flakes lately. It's sort of like a pizza, but a very low-effort one to prepare.

TNP: Delivery, or DiGiorno's?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Neither. We like a local pizza place, Dewey's, that doesn't deliver, but you can either dine in or take out. I've had DiGiorno's before and, while it isn't the worst pizza I've ever had, I can't say I'm in much of a hurry to have it again.

TNP has a pair of scissors within easy reach.

Registered
    Jul 2013

<Looks around>.....Sort of. In the bathroom, thirty feet away or so. Right next to the beard trimmer!

TNP has recently been incensed by the poor bookbinding of a new paperback, despite having taken great care to avoid cracking the spine, as one must.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, now and then I notice some pretty shoddy book construction. I once had a beloved paperback, long out of print, that I bound together with rubber bands, it was in such bad shape - but back then I couldn't get a new or even a used replacement copy, and I hated to throw it away.

TNP has thought about a tiger today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, maybe. A paper tiger, perhaps.

TNP has ever been mistaken for a lawyer by multiple people while entering a courthouse for an arraignment (or similar), merely, one presumes, by wearing a coat and tie and adult shoes. Additional TNP, while outside the "Justice Center," one is tempted to say to people asking to bum change or cigarettes by saying, "yeah, I can't right now....I'm not a lawyer, but I just got out of a courtroom as a defendant, so, no."

And that is my first and only story of appearing before a magistrate at a simple arraignment. I'm glad I was booked at time of arrest and released from jail after only....six, ten hours or whatever. Nice to wear adult clothes and shave my raggedy-ass face, at least.

No, it was a well-trimmed beard, but it is no longer. Like Robert Lowell wrote once, "Make the girls love, not war." Conservative red tie, four-in-hand knot, white shirt, blue wool blazer, dark khaki pants, black shoes, belt. I figured not necessary to be "try-hard" for an arraignment when I've already been booked, just not wear a Led Zep T-shirt with cigarette burns on the front. Respect for the office of the court, but not overboard.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 Jul 2022 at 02:24 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I have never been mistaken for a lawyer, because I am one. But I have had total strangers ask me to represent them when there's no way I could do so.

Hope your case went well!

TNP has big plans for Saturday.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. Continue to research my upcoming hearing (at which time I'll be appointed a public defender, and receive a full copy of the county sheriff's report) and trial for DUII and Reckless Driving, and keep trying to request a DMV Administrative Hearing for an Implied Consent Suspension (the DMV website is not that good...might have to FAX request instead).

TNP knew that Warren G. Harding was somewhat responsible for popularizing the term "bloviation."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, H.L. Mencken coined the term and applied it to him, as I recall, so yes. Harding's speeches were notoriously content-free drivel.

TNP has used the word "drivel" in a sentence in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

You know, I don't think so. Closest has probably been "blathering" and some other synonyms.

(My bad about Harding....funny, I actually like Mencken's writings...but I got that one wrong!)

TNP thinks the future is so bright, he or she has to wear shades.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure, just like they sang so long ago!:

TNP has studied nuclear science.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I guess. Whatever nuclear science is, from first year physics (just differentiating polynomials, and working with partial derivatives), and a b**ch of a two semester sequence in *Modern Physics*, of which about half the class flunked, by design. Hard knee.

So, not really. Ask WE?. He's not a nuke, but pretty sharp fellow.

TNP will never give up standing on the corner, watching all the girls go by.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, never my scene. I knew plenty of cute girls in school and at camp, and had no need to stand on any corner.

TNP heard a live band play tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I don't suppose so.

TNP would prefer to appear before a hearing, during which a magistrate, a PD, and an ADA will decide to accept a (very) conditional offer of entering a diversion program wearing a proper suit, or just a coat and tie, which latter is detailed down to the socks and has a better, more tailored fit. And TNP must explain why.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't suppose it makes any difference. If you're clean, sober, presentable and respectful to the court (without being obsequious), you should be fine either way. For myself, I'd be more likely to be in a "proper suit."

TNP went shopping for clothes today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not today, nor even that recently. I should buy another set of work gloves, and some more socks, and maybe another black dress shirt for work. Everything else in my wardrobe is pretty fully stocked, even surabundantly: just need to launder them.

TNP always forgets the mandate at his or her pharmacy to wear a mask, which policy makes perfect sense, given the increased likelihood of contact with elderly or people of unknown immune systems' functioning. If true, for shame!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not at the pharmacy, since I'm rarely there, but in other places, yeah, now and then. COVID still isn't completely behind us yet, dammit!

TNP yearns for the day that the President or Dr. Fauci steps up to the podium and says everything's great, we don't have to wear masks anymore, and to hell with social distancing. Or words to that effect.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, that would be nice, but I don't think that will ever happen. It seems unprecedented, as a statement, especially about public health. Have we heard similar assurances about AIDS, or regular "flu," or other maladies that, while responsible for many illnesses and deaths, have strong treatments available that can assure the life and quality of life for the great majority of the population?

I don't think a medical professional could ethically make that statement, except if it concerns his or her individual patient.

TNP has a funny story about how confusing car insurance (or other kinds of insurance, perhaps) can be, even to a canny, experienced user of these services.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I wish I did, but I think there's probably a good reason I can't think of any standup comic who talks about insurance.

TNP a favorite standup comic or three who are now regularly performing, and will tell us who.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, I don't know. I think Steven Wright is still out there doing it OG-style, as is Zach Galifiniakis, and I'll toss in Lisa Lampanelli for good measure.

TNP has in recent memory used the old pre-school shoelace-tying stand-by of making a "double knot" on one shoe or more. To prevent slippage, dontcha know!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, just about every time, actually. Never had Velcro on my sneakers.

TNP got caught in the rain at least once this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not over the weekend. There were a few pathetic little emissions yesterday about mid-day. No, I did not go about singing and dancing ad iste Sachverhalt. It was somewhat amusing.

TNP finds that there are is alarming shortage of public defenders in his or her county, and is of two minds about that, personally. TNP must explain.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, from what I've seen we have enough, and their caseloads seem manageable, all in all. Not as bad as Nawlins has been in recent years, from all I've read - they actually went on a strike a few years ago due to their crushing caseloads.

TNP opened up a new file of some kind just last week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Heh. Yeah. Even my own personal files have files in them. You know, like, uh, business papers and stuff! Those court dates and bills for various accoutrements aren't going to memorize themselves, y'know!

(Oh, not relevant, but perhaps of interest: an OR state supreme court justice has effectively fired all of the commisioners responsible for administering PD duties, due to some kind of squabble, petty or not. Hot topic of the day? Without representation for those eligible....ahem....is this going to clear out the jails and dockets? Nobody knows, but all signs point to "probably!")

TNP knows an LDS/mormon person IRL and if so, thinks, despite sheer instinct, that he or she is not so terrible.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm. I know one Muslim, and two Jehovah's Witnesses, a sprinkling of atheists and agnostics, lots of Jewish people, and 'way more Christians of various types, but no, I don't think I personally know any LDS/Mormon folks.

Hadn't heard that about Oregon. Might be burning down the house to kill a mouse under the fridge.

TNP would gladly visit Oregon next week, if able.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sure, I wouldn’t mind checking out Portland.

TNP is traveling this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm....going.....to California in my mind? I guess that's a no.

(I really don't recommend visiting Portland these days. I took the light rail train this Monday and was absolutely shocked and dismayed walking the few blocks through Oldtown/Chinatown. It used to be an average bad neighborhood, but with quirky little restaurants and a jazz club and all that.....fuggedaboutit....now it's Chinatown, fellas! Scraggly tweaked-out white people, tents everywhere, of course. I do not recommend this city as a travel destination, and this is, really "my town," I know its geography and history up and down, but I just can't recommend.)

TNP can and will do describe a recent disappointment. On any topic.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The app the Cleveland Guardians use for paperless ticketing is a #$%^&! pain in the ass - and it's mandatory. No paper tickets, even with proper barcodes, are honored anymore. It took two ticket-takers almost ten minutes to help me with my iPhone to try to access our tickets, and in the end my friend had to have the tickets sent remotely to his phone before we could enter the ballpark. Grrrrrrr.

TNP has been to a pro baseball game this summer.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, no. And besides every time I'm around a TV it's the damned Little League World Series. I'm ready some for some football, yo! (aside....I'm never going to get used to the Cleveland Guardians name.....maybe eventually, but it's jarring every time....not that it wasn't the right call, but I've been accused of being less than "fluid" and "flexible" concerning some things).

TNP is ready....READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Eh, I don't particularly care one way or the other. But if the Steelers (my childhood team) or the Browns (my adulthood team) are doing well, I certainly don't mind.

TNP will be going to a comedy show this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Absolutely not. The sounds, the smells, the raucous laughter. No sir.

TNP would rather play craps in a casino than any other table game. And TNP must explain his or her reasons.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Having visited casinos but never actually played a game in one, I have no opinion on the matter.

TNP will be hearing live music this evening.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. My bedtime is 1900-2000 most work-nights, so I don't be doing the whole nightlife thing.

TNP can think of a better color necktie to wear with a navy blazer or suit than red, and if so, will name it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I like a red tie with a gray suit, actually, but prefer a striped tie mostly of blue, green or yellow with a navy blazer. (I also never wear a striped tie with a striped shirt, and always wear either a solid or patterned tie with a striped suit. That's just me.)

TNP has read a Stephen King book recently (as I did: The Dead Zone).

+ Reply to thread