+ Reply to thread
Page 133 of 204 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 143 183 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,650 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hate them both, but panhandlers are less dangerous.

TNP: Cigar or cigarette?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hate them both, but panhandlers are less dangerous.

TNP: Cigar or cigarette?

Registered
    Jul 2013

I guess I'd take a cigarette over a cigar -- cigars take too much commitment.

TNP: *The Commitments* or *Amadeus* (movies)

Registered
    Sep 2009

I like both very much, but I'd give the edge to Amadeus.

Visit Fallingwater if you ever have the chance, Jizz! Great to see and walk through it in person. I've been several times: https://www.fallingwater.org/

TNP will be seeing a movie this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't know. Maybe this will be the weekend I make it through *Heaven's Gate*. I hope to think I'll choose to use time more productively, but I still have a gallon of AlcoTec 48 sugar wash to get through, so who knows.

TNP: houseflies or bedbugs.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Houseflies, definitely. Far easier to get rid of.

TNP has heard an Aerosmith song in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but I'll probably be "listening" to them in my mind's ear a while. Oh well, they're an OK good old rock and roll group, so that's fine.

TNP has, not entirely accidentally, given himself or herself mild food poisoning more than once.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, a couple of times, with dodgy street food and stuff out of the fridge that seemed OK but turned out to be juuuuust a bit past optimal consumption dates.

TNP can see a dog from where he or she now sits.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, in my mind's eye I could imagine some howling hell-beast.

TNP: Sloppy Seconds or The Beatles.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Beatles, without question.

TNP: The Beatles or the Rolling Stones?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Stones. Obviously.

TNP: The Who or The Doors?

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Who, by a nose.

TNP has been in Africa in the past five years.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, have sadly never made it at all.

TNP has been to at least one of the places hit by the recent hurricanes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I've been both to Nawlins and southern Florida.

TNP is not planning a trip to Puerto Rico anytime soon.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, I am not. I guess I could sneak into Guillermo Rosado Haddock's lectures, if he's still there (he's an important scholar of the philosophy of mathematics and logic, and sometime collaborator with another important scholar, the ETA *also* American Claire Ortiz Hill), but I'd really need a reason to go there, and I can't think of any accidentally arising.

If elected, however, I would serve as an ambassador of doughy white rummies who don't speak Spanish and don't like sunbathing or gambling.

I will not be elected.

TNP can think of a good, short little classical-legit piece of music that seems Halloween-like. Excluding the big Bach D minor organ Toccata+Fugue featured in many mad scientist movies, although that's fun too. The one that seems most apropos to me is the E minor fugue from the Well-Tempered Clavier Book I (fugue in two parts only, short, but kind of sinister sounding and not too much like the other fugues). Sorry, no link, but I'm pretty sure every pianist who recorded it plays it about the same: very brisk. Not necessarily Bach, either. Just looking for ideas beyond the Alfred Hitchcock "Marionette" theme, the prelude to *Psycho*, The Munsters theme, etc. No, I'm not sure why, exactly, since I might not even memorize the Em WTCI fugue by the 31st, and I have no reason to, beyond just goofing off. Favorite holiday, and all.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 12 Oct 2017 at 05:55 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

This always sounded to me like it might be played on a movie soundtrack as the doomed heroine's carriage pulled up to a spooky, ruined old mansion late at night:

TNP has a favorite Halloween candy.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Those little Three Musketeers (or Milky Way/Mars bars -- can't remember which is which) are pretty good, I guess. It could be amusing to eat so much candy corn that you self-induce vomiting, and examine the contents. More amusing than finding a razor blade in an apple, anyway, like most things.

TNP thinks, regardless of the content, it is appalling that a head of state uses crappy children's computer games like Twitter. Not saying edicts should be made in impeccable Latin, but, except for maybe campaigning tricks, propping up some commercial toy software company by even acknowledging its existence is disreputable, ridiculous, shocking, and shameful.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, the current occupant of the White House is all of those things, and more.

TNP has petted a cat in the past three days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, maybe four or five days or so.

TNP has a strange urge to purchase a new vinyl record, such as the soundtrack to Manos The Hands of Fate, or perhaps superior music. BTW, good call on the Bach-Halloween above -- I was confused, but Wikipedia set me straight. It's the same as the D minor keyboard concerto, but it sounds good on violin also, so people do it that way too. It's a good one, anyway.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 15 Oct 2017 at 02:41 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No. I'm totally over vinyl.

(Here's a great performance of Bach's D Minor Concerto on piano, BTW - look at her fingers, my God, her fingers!: )

TNP would quite possibly kill to be able to play piano like that.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not kill, except maybe an enemy or a vermin. She has a refreshing (to me) brisk insouciant take on this one. I was most excited to see the visual of her RH, doing the same thing I do when doing scalar passages with my LH -- namely, stick the pinky out in PREPARATION for the times when it will be used. I consider it a symptom of faulty technique that I'm trying to correct in my LH, but she makes it obvious it doesn't slow her down. I've known it was defective since 11 or so, but never had a reason to smooth it out.

A new sound (to me), a new star! But, son, not just her fingers, her mind, forearms, wrist -- it's a full body instrument. I'm looking forward to hearing more of her playing.

ETA, also, that was nice to see a page-turner -- I haven't seen a chamber music concert in years, I even forgot they existed. Well, props to the page-turner too! I figure even if they screw up, it's not catastrophe to the audience, but I imagine the calumny spread among the audience.

EETA nice also to have a limited orchestra behind her -- one of the great revelations of my secular music life was listening to *Headhunters* or *Thrust* and thinking "dude, that's just, like four dudes in a room, playing live." I think the massive string sections and all that kind of makes orchestral music inaccessible to the common lunchpail Harry. It wasn't always like that.

EEETA looks like a Peters edition. Well, I like those too.

EEEETA: in the second "movement" she has some ideas about phrasing I've never heard before. Well done.

TNP knows his or her Meyer-Briggs personal ID, and will state it, or if not, will explain why he or she doesn't do that much ego psychology.

EEEETA Alternate TNP: Why is Osetinskaya wearing that costume? András Schiff has been doing recently the weird monkish tunic, but what's the deal?
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 15 Oct 2017 at 05:34 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Munge:

TNP knows his or her Meyer-Briggs personal ID, and will state it, or if not, will explain why he or she doesn't do that much ego psychology.

EEEETA Alternate TNP: Why is Osetinskaya wearing that costume? András Schiff has been doing recently the weird monkish tunic, but what's the deal?

Registered
    Jul 2013

well, the passages in thirds from the I movmt is, I admit, one I will include in my book of "stuff to do.

AlertnateTNP: TNP has a lot of stuff to do

Registered
    Jul 2013

Osetinskaya is hot melted shit on the third movement -- complete command. My current technical problem is that part of the Op. 27 no. 1 of Beethoven of the "inside the keys, overlapping hands" part of the last movement. She's fucking good at that overlapping hands. "Cut your nails. Get the butter." Yeah.

Still curious why she didn't fix her technical problem with hand shape.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I gotta fucking say, I know you guys have a rule about talking too much or whatever, but Anton Gakkel or whatever at around 1:50 of the Dm Bach keyboard concerto. That bitch was on fire, and authoritative, full of savoir-faire. This Gakkel? He's got six instruments to "conduct." He, by my count, almost dropped the beat once in a few bars, and, more importantly, forced the soloist, whatsername, into some artificial scheme.

Yeah, wel
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 16 Oct 2017 at 01:12 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    ...TNP knows his or her Meyer-Briggs personal ID, and will state it, or if not, will explain why he or she doesn't do that much ego psychology....
    I was last tested 20-some years ago, and think I was an ESTJ: https://www.16personalities.com/estj-personality

TNP will also tell us his or her Myers-Briggs result.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. INTJ. I find it useful to know this kind of stuff, since a large part of my current activity is tricking and manipulating the kinds of people who take pop psychology seriously into buying stuff from me. And, it's kind of fun, I guess.

TNP hasn't really stopped laughing from time to time about the Rick(ENTJ)&Morty Szechuan Sauce "incident."
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 17 Oct 2017 at 12:37 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, that was a good bit. "Awesome possum!"

TNP has been out in the sun today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope, isn't any. I don't expect it to be anything but overcast for the next seven months here. The inferiority of artificial light is a probably a boon for idiot nerds who make no effort to conceal their delight at dragging everyone else down to the level of their defective, repulsive personalities. Bunch of cave-dwelling idiots.

TNP prefers constant rain to merely overcast.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, not day after day, but yes, I do.

TNP has taken a long walk in the rain in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I've walked enough.

TNP thinks Samuel Beckett had a pretty good idea (whatever his inscrutable reasons might have been) to do much work in a foreign language, and is likely to try to copy this practice at some time, or already has.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I'm not fluent enough in anything but English to try that.

TNP knows someone who speaks Swahili.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I know or knew some white cracker mathematician who lived in Kenya for a while, but he wasn't a near-native speaker, as far as I know.

TNP thinks languages should be used, rather than studied.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No. No reason they can't be both.

TNP can think of three languages in which he or she wishes fluency.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Maybe English, if you're into the whole buggery and colonialism thing.

TNP thinks it's hilarious to respond to spam mobile phone texts with detailed, graphic descriptions of how the spammer's family will be dissected, in ten years, in calm, lucid detail which telegraphs a knowledge of the spammer's corporate structure and location. Obviously, TNP is aware of any consequences, and thinks all are acceptable or also hilarious.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never even occurred to me before, but I can see the attraction.

TNP has at least five pens within arm's reach without stretching.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, sure, but I'd have to stretch out my arm a bit to reach the ends of my desk. I count six sharpies, one highlighter, and four or so pens, plus a shitload of mechanical pencils. And ETA no, I'm not doing a third grade science fair, I just had the Sharpies out for some reason. I defend the use of the yellow highlighter to organize my notes -- bold in pen, with square box around each subject matter, entries in pencil, major topic divisions get the yellow stripe. It is an efficient and legible system.

TNP is a sloucher at the desk, but remains faithful to the post.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 23 Oct 2017 at 02:08 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

yeah, sounds about right.

TNP has been to a funeral recently.

Registered
    Sep 2009

About a month ago, yes, for a former judge I knew.

TNP has seen Blade Runner 2049.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Was that what that was? I liked that they had a lot of characters that talked about stuff and did stuff at the same time -- it makes me feel smart, like a European. And then the action was very high-tech, which made me feel smart too -- like a Japanese or from Google.

TNP is disappointed that he or she doesn't say the word "nipponophile" more in conversation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, now I am.

TNP is bored.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, I'm OK. Too busy lately to get very bored.

TNP could do with a nap right about now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I drug myself into a stupor with Benadryl/diphenhydramine every night and sleep like a top and dream like a pig on acid, whatever that expression means. As a result I am rarely tired during the day, provided I always drink teeth-staining caffeinated beverages constantly.BTW I was right about the Bach Concerto, the first solo break has excellent scale work in thirds, and the fourth solo break (still in the first movement) is every bit as tricky, looking at the score, as I thought. I didn't know Bach used that kind of Scarlatti-esque guitar/fiddle type stuff in keyboards. Nice sound, but you sort of have to pay attention, like Osetinskaya clearly does. Wow, I didn't realize that whole first movement alone is essentially an extended toccata-like piece for keyboard, with some little spots for friends of the keyboardist to get paid a small percent of the fee for the concert (if it were up to me). There would be no real reward in memorizing the piece, either. BTW Osetinskaya is using one of the Henle editions, not Peters. I'm sure the notes are all the same, but that page turner should have creased the spine so it would lie flat. For shame. I can't process the 2nd and 3d movements by looking at the score -- the slow one needs a good artist to decide how to phrase it, and the third movement, I don't know, you need brass balls to just sort of manfully get it over with, since it isn't as tuneful as the first movement.

TNP has a preference for logorrhea or rhinorrhea.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 Oct 2017 at 08:51 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

too late for an edit, but I forgot gonorrhea.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No preference. I'd strongly prefer to avoid all two (or three).

TNP will be going to the theatre this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. The rich tapestry of the theater of the societal spectacle.

TNP is often as tired as enriched by the daily task of anticipating and acting upon the emotional concerns of others in an effective and empathetic manner.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, it doesn't really wear on me like that.

TNP owns at least three calculators.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure, I guess. Within reach, a trusty TI-85, which may or may not have batteries (haven't used it in years, since, believe it or not, I know what log(n) and abs(v) looks like and so forth -- that's all I need), a little basic one (ETA TI-30xA, it happens -- had to buy one for physics exams where fancy calculators not allowed on tests, but they want you to get some approximations for trig functions and so forth [IMHO....never mind....eh.....never mind]. I use that one if I get tired of expanding rational numbers to decimal in my head, like, for stuff, and stuff. Cute little device. I approve!), and a Pickett slide rule, which may not be in arm's reach, but it's somewhere in my little "office," but which I think has more right to be called a pocket calculator than opening up an interpreter on the computer and typing up some expressions. Probably faster for multiplying than typing "python" or "hgc" and then typing in the numbers, and remembering the function to exit the interpreter, but I don't need a lot of quick numbers in daily life I can't just guesstimate or type into a web browser.

TNP can't think of a cheaper investment in mental arithmetic than knowing how to count in multiples of 16 (excluding knowing the powers of 2 up to a reasonable value, which is indeed very handy, and I'd recommend to anyone)
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 30 Oct 2017 at 12:29 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Too late for edit -- whoops, that's ghc (Glasgow Haskell Compiler). It's on a different "experimenting" machine I don't use much nowadays except for fucking with innards and stuff of the OS. No, I don't do much Haskell, a programming language that's basically clean, tidy applied logic, named after a mathematician who crossed over to the dark side of philosophy, i.e., logic, as a hobby, I guess. It's cute, but only so many hours in a day, although the ability to do stuff without a bunch of boilerplate code and importing huge libraries whose effects can be unpredictable when working on stuff written by illiterates who don't comment their code, is enticing. It's like pencil-and-paper problem-solving, but using a typewriter. Sort of like LISP (you know, the one with all the parentheses, like lambda calculus sort of), but you don't have to invest in using a full-featured environment like emacs to keep track of what you've written. And you can use the notations of central Europe, from Poland and other former lands of the dual monarchy, so it has some political satisfaction, if you have some kind of mental-patient obsession with the history of the Austro-Hungarian empire from old.

Registered
    Sep 2009

My math skills aren't that good, so counting mentally in multiples of 16 would probably take me awhile.

TNP has special plans for Halloween.

+ Reply to thread