+ Reply to thread
Page 184 of 204 FirstFirst ... 84 134 174 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 194 ... LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,200 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Maybe a toast at dinner? That's what I usually do on such a day.

TNP will be sleeping in on Sunday morning.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Anymore, if I don’t get up till 6:30 a.m. it counts as sleeping in. I doubt if I will manage that.

TNP likes getting their breakfast delivered on weekends.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Never have had that service, probably not even in a hotel, but that sounds excellent. Big plate of bacon, eggs, toast, potatoes, a cauldron of hot coffee, without messing up the kitchen? That sounds most excellent.

TNP has considered saying some very inappropriate, but likely historically accurate, things on "Talk Like a Pirate Day." Such as, "Take those pants off and get back in the barrel-with the hole in it, cabin boy!"

Registered
    Sep 2009

I did do some pirate-talking today, to mark the holiday, but nothing quite that raunchy.

TNP knows why the little kid wasn't able to see the new pirate movie.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It was “AAARRRR rated.”

TNP has hade an “Okay Boomer” directed towards them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You got it as to the pirate movie.

No, no "OK Boomer" moments for me yet. Yet!

TNP will be going for a long walk today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

More like a forced march of many miles around the warehouse, but yes, true.

BTW, you all should be very grateful Rubes got the right answer to the joke: there are some answers I was thinking of that probably are not SFW.

TNP has pretty extreme fatigue from looking at backlit screens of various types too much.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, there have been days when I have definite Zoom fatigue, in particular.

TNP has been in at least four Zoom meetings in a single day.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Never. But if I had even one serious Zoom/Skype session, I would find it very difficult to keep from laughing the entire time.

TNP has ever felt like a champion for finding that a grocery store manager restocked a desired, rare product, such as Pabst Hard Coffee, about which I can tell you nothing, for it is not breakfast time yet.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, a few times I've come to the right shelf at just the right moment like that. Bliss!

TNP has at least ten items on his or her current supermarket shopping list.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh yeah. I'm actually out of salt, if you can believe it. And numerous other basic food items. Plenty of sugar, though, from my winemaking days, plenty of yeast of all kinds, which kind of fills up most of my freezer.

TNP wants to see some awesome pictures of my feet with numerous failed attempts by bedbugs to get blood out of my feet. Bedbugs are not very perspicacious, IMHO.

Registered
    Sep 2009

LOL. Hard pass.

TNP has seen a rat in the past month, and not just the one on YouTube with the pizza slice on the NYC Subway.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not that recently. The last time I saw one at someone else's abode, it startled the shit out of me.

TNP ever had a pet vermin, say, as a child. You know, like a rat, or a hamster, or a ferret, or a Richard Gere, or one of those abominations.

Registered
    Sep 2009

My sisters and I had gerbils and a rabbit back in the day. Don't know if those count.

TNP doesn't believe the urban legend about Richard Gere's visit to the ER.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, sure, I believe it! I suspect there's a vast Hollywood network of secret gerbillers. They go by codenames. "Muskrat-Maverick." "Nutria-Nellie." And so forth. Not many people know that, but it's true.

TNP has never, to his or her knowledge, believed in a conspiracy theory, and yet takes no pride in that "accomplishment."

Registered
    Sep 2009

I suspect there's more to JFK's assassination than the Warren Commission uncovered or than we now know, but I don't think it was a vast conspiracy or that, for instance, LBJ orchestrated it.

TNP has been to Dealey Plaza.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sir, that's that place where they shot Kennedy from the book suppository, sir!

TNP has never been to Texas.

Registered
    Feb 2009

False. Been to Houston and liked it okay, hope to get to a ballgame in Arlington if the world ever settles.

TNP likes peach ice cream.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Are you asking me if I like to take a bte of peach? As in the movie Wild At Heart? Well, I can't say as I wouldn't mind about now. Ice cream? No, don't care about that. Must be warm.

TNP has strong opinions about Ty "The Georgia Peach" Cobb baseball player, and if so, will say what they are.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think he was an amazing ball player, with a lot of issues, who got unfairly saddled with a reputation as an insane racist, when there’s evidence that he was popular with his teammates and supported blacks in baseball.

TNP would have loved to see a deadball era baseball game.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. There are big patches of baseball history I'd like to have seen. Ty Cobb sliding with his cleats out, in at least one case regrettably putting a good catcher down with a broken collarbone or something. Gaylord Perry messing up the ball in play at the mound. Bob Gibson instigating a fistfight, also from the mound. Not all from the dead ball era, but just generally older moments from the game.

TNP can think of why a smaller mouse, probably a juvenile, would just be lying on the bathroom floor, immobile, likely dead already? No poisons were used. BTW that makes 7 kills in 6 days for me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Are you using the Dark Side of the Force again?

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    ...TNP has been to Dealey Plaza.
    Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Sir, that's that place where they shot Kennedy from the book suppository, sir!....
    Yes, but have you been there, Jizz?

TNP will have a milkshake tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. If I had some ice cream, I might consider doing what Nick Nolte's character in the movie Cannery Row did and have a beer milkshake, but, no.

No, I've not been to Dealey Plaza: it just seemed like a good place to drop in a Full Metal Jacket half-quote. And I don't use telekinesis on my enemies, rather just brawn, steel, and sheer will. Considering I'd killed six adults in as many days, and relocated one not long ago to a dumpster, it was likely starving, or maybe rabid or something. The toilet seat was open though! Full of man stew: got everything a young mouse needs!

TNP thinks Nick Nolte is hilarious as a butt of many jokes about his feral, drunken nature, despite thinking he was a pretty good actor.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure, I suppose. Can't say I've given him much thought. I liked him in 48 HRS.

TNP will watch the U.S. presidential debate on Tuesday.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I do have a TV, but I'm not going to bother plugging it in, or finding a place to put it. Besides, is it really a debate if one person speaks and the other jerks off? I can read the summaries or transcripts the next day. My mind is polluted enough with that consarnit Finnish language.

TNP genuinely did not think POTUS would have agreed to any kind of debate, and is kind of shocked. Seriously.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, kind of.

TNP thinks that, for that matter, it might have been in Biden's best interests not to agree to debate.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, that never occurred to me. Despite rumors, he's an articulate, informed man. At least in my limited capacity as observer.

TNP can explain why that would be good for the challenging candidate.

OK, here's a tricky TNP: TNP thinks Biden/Harris would lose none of their base, and possibly gain some, if Biden hewed to the Vatican RCC position on abortion. For right or wrong, it might be a canny, effective move, although probably too late. After all, I'm pretty sure he knows what the shorter Apostle's Creed is, even if he may not remember it in the correct, universal language of the Church. He still bears the indelible mark of the trinitarian baptism, AFAIK, but that may be a mark against him. After all, Pence has it too, although he became a heretic of some sect with considerable political power.

Or either TNP question: whichever is more interesting to TNP.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 Sep 2020 at 12:41 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

'Way too late for Biden to repeat the Vatican line on abortion now. He's been pro-choice for decades.

TNP has more than three kinds of postage stamps available at home.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I think so. At least one "International Post" with a face value of like $0.50 USD somewhere. A few "Forever" stamps. And a bunch of US denomination out-dated stamps worth varying face values.

TNP is ... proud? maybe not the right word. satisfied, perhaps .... that he or she has not even overheard anti-Catholic sentiment in person for years and years. No, you needn't walk on eggshells about the answer....it's just kind of a hobby of mine, and I'm proud to have memorized all of the Latin the laiety is supposed to know, especially because I'm not a born memorizer.

TNP wants to know why it would be in the Biden/Harris ticket's interest to refuse a debate.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 Sep 2020 at 06:06 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I think I know: because the President will bluster, and lie, and seem to dominate, and Biden will either not be able to counter him effectively or will say something truly stupid, as he is wont to do, that will be a big problem for him in the last weeks of the campaign.

TNP has replied to an online poll in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't think so. Maybe.

I see your point about the debate. They should probably disrobe, oil up, and do some old fashioned naked wrestling, like in the movie Women in Love. I'm sure there's an audience for that kind of thing. Putin would do it!

TNP is somewhat active on Reddit, on some limited topics.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nope, not me.

TNP likes watching wrestling, whether or not oil is used.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Well, I should say "probably not," given that I've never seen a match of Greco-Roman or the fun kind with the costumes and everything. A student of mine in English Comp. was an undergraduate wrestler, and he wrote an essay about...I don't remember...something about wrestling. The way he was explaining it during office hours trying to figure out a topic for him to write on, it's a lot more complicated than I'd have thought, so I respect the sport.

TNP loves professional boxing, and doesn't really care so much that the combatants are likely to become permanently brain-damaged. After all, Cletus Bocephus the town drunk everyone loves probably acquires similar amounts of brain damage over the course of his career as village idiot.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never been interested in boxing at all, and the extensive brain-damage research isn't likely to make me a fan of the sport anytime soon.

TNP felt rain on his or her skin today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. Lot of sweat. "Rain of Man Who Make Water From Air." Or something.

TNP wouldn't think it were that great an idea to say goodbye on the way out of work to a group of coworkers by saying (amiably!) "Adios, muchachos!" Given that (i) he or she didn't realize a native Spanish speaking woman was going in my direction, who may not be very adept in English and especially (ii) I don't really think that's an appropriate thing to say in Spanish, regardless of how good my pronunciation. I think it might be the equivalent of doing a femme-y handwave and saying, "See you later, boys!" My reputation might have been spoiled! Never mind all that, just answer the TNP, muchos hombres.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nah, I'd be fine with that. I've said it myself now and then.

TNP remembers that "Adios, muchachos" is actually a line in Aliens.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I don't remember that at all. Then again, most of my "Spanish" "skills" come from watching old Westerns and occasionally trading insults with people for fun and overhearing stuff. I still think I should have said "Adios, hombres!" but then again I wouldn't know.

TNP can think of a more ridiculous name to self-apply than "Proud Boys." Like, wth? "The Proud Boys Choir Present Their Tribute to Judy Garland"! Plus, TNP suspects many of them are not very good at driving automobiles.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I dunno, "Proud Boys" is pretty stoopid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proud_Boys. Maybe "Nazis Lite"? "Adolf's Idjits"?

See Aliens at 4:08 here, as Burke explains the risk of an accidental thermonuclear explosion:

TNP agrees that Aliens is a damn good sf action/adventure flick.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, yeah. Of course!

TNP relishes lower-budget action movies made in the 1970s by the likes of Don Siegel, Sam Peckinpah, and countless others. Not the absolute cheese movies, but the ones that had a lasting impact, like *Charley Varrick*, *Junior Bonner*, and so forth.

Alternate TNP: TNP has had a conversation with a native Spanish speaker recently that ended mostly with him saying "What?" C'mon, "Cerveza es mi esposa!" That sounds like good Spanish to me! I've also learned to, from using Finnish, not ... whatever it's called, aspirate the d/t p/b etc. pairs. It was surprisingly difficult to me to do without thinking, but I'm glad I've got that covered. I will never be able to roll my R's from the front, but I like to think the uvular R is good enough. And, no, it doesn't sound like clearing one's throat: I can sustain that for as long as my breath holds hold, trilling the R from the back.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 30 Sep 2020 at 09:50 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, well, it's too late to edit, but here's what I really want to know.

Can the TNP come up with a better alternative to Biden's "Will you shut up" than my current favorite: "Silence, an adult who owns property is speaking. Now, sit down and listen."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Someone on the Straight Dope suggested Biden say something like, "You appear incapable of listening, sir. You haven't listened to the doctors, and far too many people have now died in this pandemic. You haven't listened to the generals, and the Russians are offering bounties for our soldiers. Women have told you to leave them alone, and you brag about grabbing them. You just can't listen. I guess that's just another way we're different."

TNP thinks something like that might work.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That is clever. While I didn't watch the "debate," nor do I really know much about Biden, I suspect that might have been a bit much for him. That's something Cicero might have put together in an oration, or a philippic, but probably not Biden. Then again, even Cicero was not above the one-line insult, particularly against Antony.

TNP, if faced with an interrupter, sometimes just keeps talking in a calm, uninterrupted, way, and thinks that's the best strategy for a "debate" such as the one on the table. After all, the microphones go into the soundboard, and a transcript should pick up everything. Even better if addressing the camera: surely there are some lip-readers among the undecided, or at least nominally observant people. Perhaps not.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty much. I think you have to keep your cool as long as you can, but be willing to show some steely disapproval when someone like Trump keeps interrupting you.

TNP needs to buy some pens.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I just bought nine new lead holders and let's see, 72 varicolored 2mm pencil leads and it came came with a bunch of HB "black" leads (I don't use HB: I use B, 2B, 4B for pencil leads, plus the Staedtler stick erasers). Not good lead holders: they're more the mechanical pencil type, where one clicks to advance the lead, but that's a small detail, and I can give some to my nephews. It was a ridiculously cheap set, but the colored leads seem more like B or 2B in hardness, so go China?

Aside, but I think I've actually lost two Staedtler Mars lead holders ... they're probably in the car somewhere. I'm coming around to shorter technical lead holders...but I am attracted to the limited supplies of the good old Staedtler Mars lead holders in black, instead of the good old blue. They're a little too long to fit in a breast pocket of a shirt, and I might become a Koh-I-Nor man, even though they have annoying attributes.

I'm not a pencil nerd! Shuddup!

TNP can and will say what kinds of pens would be desirable in his or her opinion. Fountain or cartridge pens excluded, for I find they are too esoteric.

TNP wants to buy a new pencil sharpener (or "pointer," is I guess the preferred term for people who use technical pencils/lead holders/clutch pencils) because he or she is awesome and loves pencils.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 01 Oct 2020 at 10:49 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I use pens far more than pencils and don't need a sharpener at the moment.

TNP learned of President Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis with more than a little skepticism.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not exactly. I will treat any further statements as worthless, though. It could be a ruse, but I fail to see how it benefits whatever demented cunt is sitting in the white house. OTOH, considering the source, it's almost certainly not true. What, is the "October Surprise" hiring back all of the pandemic people from Obama's administration? "He" could die a matryr's death by giving his ventilator to a soldier, and gasping for breath until it is his last, but that's not going to happen. And then we're left with that heretic Pence, whose head should be held in a toilet bowl until he repents and confesses to the Church.

TNP is genuinely glad when enemies perish, and cannot understand people who say things like "I wouldn't wish that on anybody." Rather, TNP does wish suffering, pain, and death on his or opponents.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 02 Oct 2020 at 03:34 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Deep down, yes, I do, but I also really try to overcome it. And to be completely, politically crass, if I may: a President Pence would probably benefit from a big sympathy vote if Trump dies in coming weeks. I would rather Trump lives (although suffering very much from COVID-19) and lose the election, but hey, that's just me.

TNP heard a lawnmower run today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. They come from the devil's workshop.

Good point: it could be that after two weeks, DT loses twenty pounds in the hospital, they give him steroids and tape some fishskin to his face to get of some of the jowls, and maybe wash that shit off his face.

That would be bad. Pence would be bad. Either way, his handlers are going to pump him so full of "health" shit and strap him into girdles before any public appearance.

I conclude there's not really an excellent solution that is likely to occur.

/////////

TNP considers it a pretty good day when one is in a pleasant, cheerful mood, and only is forced to call someone a "goddamned bitch" IRL once. Or perhaps never.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never for me (at least, not to anyone's face; maybe muttered under my breath later), and yes otherwise.

TNP is a Jelly Roll Morton fan:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. He's that drunk piano player guy from that fancy place with the madams and all that, right? Small hands, though, for a stride piano player, is what I heard. He wrote some tunes, though, even though he couldn't play as good as Fats Waller.

TNP can think of another good example of someone who, despite some limitations, managed OK.

+ Reply to thread