+ Reply to thread
Page 182 of 204 FirstFirst ... 82 132 172 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 192 ... LastLast
Results 9,051 to 9,100 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

German Shepherds are fine, but Labrador Retrievers are my favorite dogs (with corgis a close second). But just the same, I'd rather have a cheetah:

Bananagrams is a lot of fun - I think I've mentioned it here before. It's like Scrabble, but you can move around your own tiles as needed, and you're racing the other players: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananagrams

TNP wants pizza for dinner.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I eat quite a lot of pizza, and too much of it in one sitting. "Chinese" takeout, rather. And a pint of whiskey for good measure! Very traditional Chinese menu!

TNP will be spending the minimum amount of time in direct sunlight this summer that is possible. Or TNP perhaps wears a large Pancho Villa style sombrero!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Probably, less to preserve my skin than because the ‘Rona has pretty much reduced me to sitting around the house watching old movies.

TNP could eat a donut right now.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes. But then, that's usually true.

TNP has a favorite kind of donut.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Glazed old fashioned, I suppose. Simple, easy to eat, easy to order. I'd eat one if it came to a choice between raw monkey brains and the donut, for sure.

TNP has not found in the US any single bakery that makes a good croissant, i.e., that doesn't skimp on the pâté I mean the butter. Pathetic.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, but what about chilled monkey brains...?:

I must have low standards for croissants. I think I've had lots of good ones here in the States.

TNP likes banjo music.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. Well, I guess there's a lot of different types of music that uses banjo, but I can listen to Earl Scruggs or someone using his technique and that groove all day. Sorry, Bela Fleck fans, but I can't follow his groove.

TNP would not have said anything if, for example, at a small chain convenience store the check-out gal deliberately rung up, say one pack of cigarettes while delivering two, as asked for. And one is sure she did it deliberately, probably just for her own reasons or TNP was, as usual, exceptionally polite and cheerful.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I would politely say, "Miss, thank you, but please charge me for both packs." I don't want to either encourage, or benefit from, employee theft.

My wife and I went to a Bela Fleck concert some years ago, having heard all kinds of rapturous reviews of his music, and were unimpressed. Just meh.

TNP has watched Unorthodox on Netflix.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I've not even heard of it. But I'm OG, so I've been browsing DVD sets of the TV show The High Chaparral at the bad place that sends things to one's house. None of that fancy streaming radio waves for me, no sir! They got contrails on them is what they have is what I heard!

Well, I thought it was a bit odd, but that probably was the highlight of her day, getting to ring somebody up who didn't reek of marijuana, actually wore a mask, and was cheerful and polite to her. So, I let it go. It's only a few dollars, and it probably made her happy for a while. I'm sure they get a lot of shrinkage around there. Anyway, even if it's wrong, I don't consider it any of my business to interfere with her. Then again, I wouldn't rat out some random person I saw outright shoplifting either, or report anybody at work doing anything untoward, so, that's just how it is.

Yeah, Bela Fleck is an amazing technician, but BF < Earl Scruggs. IMHO.

TNP has recently been very frustrated at figuring out a puzzle-like problem, whether an element of a foreign language, a constructed puzzle of some kind, or whatever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not really, but arranging to get our DirecTV account turned off today was more of a pain in the ass than it should have been.

For more on Unorthodox (a very good Netflix miniseries): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9815454/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

TNP knows an Orthodox Jewish person.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. Several. That's all I'm going to say.

TNP has a pretty powerful hankering for blood sausage, of any type, right now. No, that's not a double entendre, I mean actual blood sausage or perhaps blood pudding, depending on your terminology.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have to admit I've never tried it, but the name is kind of a deterrent, so I'll have to say no. I like many other kinds of sausage, though.

TNP wants eggnog with rum and a little nutmeg on top, even though it's nowhere near Christmas.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. No. The weather's pretty warm for a cream-based drink. Still use milk in coffee and the occasional tea, but I don't feel like the "wintery" warm spices.

TNP is not happy to have someone hand him or her a drink at some festivity unless her or she sees the barman or barmaid make it in front of his or her eyes. In fact, TNP would go so far as to say (sottto voce), no thank you, I'll have a club soda and mix his her own drink in private outside. Some peopel got no class, I'm telling you. What is your bottom shelf liquor so fancy?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I'd be a bit wary of that even pre-COVID.

TNP needs to buy some scissors.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Eventually I'll need a new pair, given how often I use these Fiskars including cutting paper and never sharpening them. They're still going strong, though, and as long as they can cut nosehairs, that's good enough for now. I really don't want to have to make a special trip out to some fabric store and buy new ones, so I'll pretend they still do a good job, and maybe use some fine-grit sandpaper to hone them and probably use them until the day I die.

TNP does not ever open the door after the sun goes down, even if one suspects it might be a LEO. Never.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, I will open the door if I think it’s safe.

TNP likes Fernet Branca.

Registered
    Jul 2013

You know, that's one liqueur I've never had. I was just now this morning at a local arboretum admiring a tree of the genus "sambuca" or "sambucca" and thinking, "hmmm, that's probably where they get the flavor of sambuca, I guess."

TNP could easily see oneself as an older man, maybe a few pounds heavier, sitting on a terrace somewhere outside in the shade sipping on small glasses of various liqueurs, watching the shadows grow longer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Only if I can have a snazzy hat, and a beautiful, much younger woman gazing adoringly at me from the seat beside me.

TNP thinks that could happen.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ha. First laugh of the day. And it's about the end of the day for me. Nah, I don't go perving on the younger gals, but we get along OK. Everyone knows which way is pointed where and women aren't stupid. They know what it is, so it's no big deal.

TNP has felt the cold, disapproving eye of a woman once today. You know, bartender, random lady, whatever. You know what I mean. That look.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, it's been quite awhile, even pre-pandemic, since that happened to me.

TNP counts an elderly woman among his best friends.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sorry to say, but I've not the pleasure. I did have a dream about my former mentor Avital Ronell a few nights ago, but I wouldn't call her "elderly." No, it was not an erotic dream, just blah blah doing stuff with books. I dont think people in their sixties or whatever are exactly "old." Just mature, I suppose.

TNP has recently met somebody with an improbable given name and had a hard time trying to suppress laughter. For example, if one meets a person with the name "Darby," how can one not think of Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Just an example.

Better TNP: TNP thinks using glue traps for mice is abhorrent, but has considered it, possibly to this very day.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never have. We find a little bit of chocolate or a gumdrop usually suffices to trap them.

TNP has had a gumdrop in the past three days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I know what those are, but, I don't really want to get them stuck in my teeth. But by all means, don't let me stop you, as I'm sure it won't.

Gumdrops That's an excellent idea! I'll look forward to it on my next dozen mousetraps!

TNP thinks it's both one of the greater pleasures and mistakes in life to become too intimate with, let's say, a woman, or whatever. In that once it begins, it's difficult to halt.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Too intimate" is certainly in the eye of the beholder, but yes, I'd agree. Having just celebrated my 30th wedding anniversary, it hasn't been a problem for me for awhile, though.

BTW, there's this crazy thing the kids these days are all calling "Wikipedia": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumdrop

TNP has three green pens within arm's reach.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. Not one of my favorite colors.

Damn you, everyone knows what a gumdrop candy is! Now the mice have probably heard, and I don't want to buy a thing of peanut butter! Shit. I have had good luck with bacon grease studded with bits of fortune cookies (I never eat those, so I have dozens in those little cellophane bags). Nutella would work, but I don't know that mice are all that picky. They sure do not like that "kill bar," as it's called, though, so I suppose they're somewhat intelligent. More than me, anyway.

If TNP was teaching, she or he would use or has used a nice red pen or a 4B or even 6B pencil to strike out errors of his or her students. No matter what they say, or how much they complain. I like the softer graphite idea: never tried it. Do a little closed Halmos box over every error and make it exceptionally dark.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 13 Aug 2020 at 10:26 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, when I'm editing, I prefer to use the red Flair PaperMate pens, but those are harder and harder to find these days, it seems.

TNP wants to hear "The Politics of Dancing":

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I really would not. Now or ever.

TNP has become very frustrated discussing sociology and politics recently with somebody....and finds it very....frustrating, I suppose is the word.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I seem to keep hearing the same election-year arguments and laments over and over. It gets a bit tiresome.

TNP will be voting by mail this year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah, I figured just hole up in a cabin on the outskirts of civilization is probably a more produtive idea. Sort of do a *Red Dawn*/Unabomber kind of thing. Seems reasonable.

TNP is pretty much horrified by the lengths people go to in order that they can make or buy a nerd "real doll," and yet doesn't have a better solution for the whole incel "movement" or whatever their deal is. How does one exterminate nerd culture, anyway, if one contends that is the probem? Perhaps give them all their own nerd real dolls isn't the worst idea, however many unforeseen problems that might create.

IOW TNP sees there's a problem, but doesn't know how to solve it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

True of just about everything for me, sadly.

TNP would like to once again experience just sleeping through a night, without waking up even once.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That would be nice. I'd also welcome not having diarrhea nearly every morning. Nor being in a consistently foul mood verging on the pathological. But this ain't candyland, son!

TNP is going with Biden (US presidential candidate)'s pronunciation of the prename "Kamala" (namely, accent on the first syllable).

Registered
    Sep 2009

I think that's correct, so yes, I will.

TNP will be sending out at least three pieces of snail mail today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. None. It's occasionally necessary, but I find it offensive, just as much as receiving a telephone call.

TNP has at least once in his or her life been aghast that others have not assisted an automobilist in need of a simple thing like a jump start for his or her car battery, and assumes both that (i) the offending party is ignorant of the procedure and that (ii) he or she is a dickwad. FTR I gave a jump to somebody just today. Took five minutes, at most. Granted, I ran my alternator for quite a bit more than usual, but, still.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I don't think I've really noticed that. By the same token, I don't stop for every car that's pulled off to the side of the road.

TNP has seen Airplane! in the past week (and don't call me Shirley).

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes I have. So if I can't call you Shirley, you must be Otto, right? Good man, very reponsive people, them.

TNP actually knows somebody IRL named Shirley, and finds it's an unusually out-of-time name.

TNP can name more than two movie characters from well known movies with the first name "Otto"
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 18 Aug 2020 at 09:07 PM. Reason: because

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm. Lemme think... uh... no, just the Airplane! autopilot, and Otto the remarkably stupid criminal with poor impulse control from A Fish Called Wanda (Kevin Kline won an Oscar for playing him).

TNP agrees with me that Kline really earned his Oscar for that role:

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I do not. I may be a bad nerd, but I don't think Mr. Kline is very amusing at all. In addition to Otto from Repo Man, that does make more than duple, so you win that trick. Ah!!! you didn't name more than two Ottos, so you lose!

But the thread wins. I think it's in the bible somewhere. It is written!

TNP has been halfway thinking of baking some bread recently. Even though it's a PITA to do without a good stand mixer and do it all by hand. If not, TNP will explain what his or her major malfunction is, being not baking bread!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Because you can buy perfectly good bread at the store, and I'm no baker (or cook, really).

TNP has a habit of quoting Full Metal Jacket.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I wouldn't know. I drew fire watch on my last day at the island. The book is kind of: I didn't know they stacked shit that high. Good movie, though. Outstanding.

TNP is a little bit (i) blind and (ii) deaf, and thinks it's no good.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm a little nearsighted and my hearing is not quite what it once was ("What was that, sonny? Speak up, damn ye!"), so yeah, I'd have to agree.

TNP has big plans for the weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not so much. Drink plenty of water, and try to sleep as much as possible. Maybe go have an absurd amount of food at a bar.

TNP has in recent memory placed a somewhat ridiculous order at a restaurant, like "two eggs, over hard, wheat toast, no potatoes, side of french fries, bacon, side of bacon, side order of two eggs, over hard. And a Pabst."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Don't think so, no (and particularly not since the pandemic hit).

TNP has listened to Mozart recently.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Not any music really except playing James Brown albums and those by others in the car at maximum volume, except for reading on paper some new (to me) editions/engravings of some small Bach pieces.

TNP has come the conclusion that there are some strange people, whether of Finnish descet or not, on the internet, and that it's better to pursue light-hearted, mutually satisfactory banter in all cases. There are some strange people, man. Yeah, I see the irony given my position as an occasional chatty-Cathy, but, it can get pretty weird, man.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, that's usually a good approach, I'd say.

TNP has two separate Zoom calls scheduled today, plus doing laundry.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I've never used Zoom or Skype, nor any of their competitors, if they exist.

TNP does not find the popular "meme"-like notion that the Nordic countries and their public policies are directly relevant to states of affairs in the Americas.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Generally true, although the Swedish prison system seems much more humane and effective than that of the U.S., from what I've read.

TNP has watched more than five minutes of either the Democratic or Republican national conventions.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nope. Of course, I’m Canadian.

TNP is getting used to watching the sports without crowds, and only occasionally wants to weep mid game.

Registered
    Jul 2013

TBH, I didn't even really notice in baseball until somebody pointed out the superimposed heads on the bleachers on the televised broadcasts. I've never noticed in basketball during these "difficult times," just seems like normal play. The guys are moving around so much, can't bother to look at the crowds. Go Bucks!

TNP would describe himself or herself as a "casual" fan of a given sport, or a true disciple.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Casual fan of baseball, even less so of football, basketball, soccer and hockey.

TNP saw someone wearing a bowtie today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. George Will appears nightly in my dreams, taunting me with his Vulcan logic.

TNP has had been or plans to soon be tested for CV-19 with the good old nose-plunger-stick method.

+ Reply to thread