+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (Wut Wut) Is it? Well. We must try and get used to it.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default (Wut Wut) Is it? Well. We must try and get used to it.

Beyond our own Thunderdome, wut! wut! reminds me of the Madness of King George, wherein George III has a fondess for ending his statements with "Wot? Wot? Being Canadian, I like to think it's the 'Eh?' of his time.

Our title is a quote from the movie, by the way:

George III: What of the colonies, Mr. Pitt?
    Pitt: America is now a nation, sir.
    George III: Is it? Well. We must try and get used to it. I have known stranger things. I once saw a sheep with five legs...
    Wuts up with youse today?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: (Wut Wut) Is it? Well. We must try and get used to it.

I feel like a sheep with five legs. Or one. Something like that.

Monday! You suck, Monday!

Strange I would say that since my weekends really suck more lately. Bleargh.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's Spring Break, dawg! Just chillin' with all my homecats, dig?
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

It looks like I'll actually finish my homework in time (which is always good). I woke up around 4 or 5 (it was 5:30-ish when I finally rolled over and looked at the clock) and I was wide awake, so I actually got up early and worked on my homework. It's going to be a BIG poster - about 3ft square. I spent most of the morning fiddling with the size, which I'm still not done with (oh, it's too small. Now it's bigger than needs to be, now...).

But I'm getting close!

Then for my own purposes, I just need to convert it so I can put it on my website (and other websites, and as a PDF, and... =^.^=). Oh, I suppose I should say what it is - it's a how-to guide for how to put on obi. For dummies. The breathe-in, breathe-out version. Because I'm a dummy (who doesn't read Japanese).

silenus, I spent all my Spring Break doing homework, so you can just shut up, right? =^_^=
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

We had a great day yesterday over at our friend's house, helping them with yardwork, no less. The sun was out and it just felt so good to be outside without a jacket. We were on a Scotch broom killing spree, and you can now see all the way to the back of the property. Thanks to a good wind the previous day, a lot of small branches and pinecones were blown all over the yard. So mostly I manned the wide rake and carried the cut broom to the fire pit.

All the while there was Caylie, their bluetick coonhound, playing tug of war with whatever I was trying to drag to the pit, and baying at the rake in motion. Silly pooch!

I feel surprisingly not sore after being so sedentary this winter. Maybe all the spring cleaning around here was a sufficient warm up.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Hail! (and farewell to a broken TV)

Yesterday at 3, I drove out to Best Buy to purchase a new TV, my current one having decided that no matter what, it WILL change inputs at random, and sometimes very rapidly. It was warm and sunny, so I did not wear a coat.

When I walked out of the Best Buy at 5, the sky had turned almost black, it was raining hard enough that I could barely see my car in the lot, AND it was hailing. I have never been hailed on before. Luckily, I made it to the car before the hail got too solid, but then I had to sit there, soaking wet, listening to the hail hitting the car. It was very, very loud. No, really, it was very, very, VERY loud.

On the plus side, I got the TV at a bit of a discount since it was a discontinued model and it was the display model, so yay!

But I'm outside of their 25-mile delivery radius, which restricts their delivery days to either Monday or Friday, so boo!

But for some reason, my employer gives us Good Friday off, so I won't have to take a day off to have the new TV delivered and the old one taken away, so yay!

Getting the new one delivered wasn't such a big deal, but getting the old one removed IS, which is why I'm paying for the delivery rather than carrying the new one home myself. The old TV, you see, is a Sony WEGA flat screen CRT, and it weights about 300 pounds ....

I think I'm coming out slightly ahead.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've actually had a three day weekend, which is wonderful, because I desperately needed it. We had a birthday party for my niece's boyfriend on Saturday, as his family won't throw him one. Since it was in the morning and I had a late night Friday because of work, this led to not sleeping Friday night. I can tell I'm a real grownup now because I'm still recovering from pulling that all nighter.

Today is the day when I'm supposed to be putting together my grand academic plan for going back to school, but I'm having second thoughts about a few things now. This shouldn't be nearly as difficult a decision as it is.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have nothing of merit to contribute, but when has that ever stopped me? Took #2 son to the pediatrician--he's a fine, healthy 10 year old. He's 5'1" and 96 lbs. Big kid (skinny as a rail).

I need to do some things today, yet lack the ambition and discipline to do them. I need a 12 step program or a kick in the pants.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Went to a job fair at the local Trader Joe's yesterday, but I'm not too hopeful as they were looking for full time workers and I was more interested in a part-time job. But they said they'd keep my application on file. I'm hoping that the fact that I said I'd be available to work any shift, any day will help.

Registered
    Feb 2009

i'm at work (wut wut) and i'm having a pretty good day (wut wut), except that my nemesis is here today and i hate she.
    me think she hate me.
    thas why i hate free.
    hee-hee.
    iree?
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

i'm at work

i wish i wasn't. i always wish that though. like some people are all, if i win the lottery i'm gonna keep my job. nope not me. i'm not working in computers ever again for the rest of my life if i win the lottery. if you ask me, as a good friend and woman i want to sleep with, to come help fix your computer. i'm going to fart into my cellphone and tell you to eat a dick. thats how much i would love to instead be selling tshirts on the boardwalk and growing progressively creepier to young girls.

Registered
    Mar 2009

or i could be that guy that sells giant beach umbrellas

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by hatesfreedom
    if you ask me, as a good friend and woman i want to sleep with, to come help fix your computer. i'm going to fart into my cellphone and tell you to eat a dick.
    Dude, as much as that cracks me up, you should instead offer to buy her a new top-of-the-line computer. After all, you won the lottery. You might get to sleep with her, and it'll prevent your cellphone from getting all farty.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Borborygmi
    Dude, as much as that cracks me up, you should instead offer to buy her a new top-of-the-line computer. After all, you won the lottery. You might get to sleep with her, and it'll prevent your cellphone from getting all farty.
    that is a good idea so lets all keep rooting for my retirement plan to come together!

also jali you make me want to be a better man

or at least one with a bigger c.. oh this isn't thunderdome sorry

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ok. Lil Ms Nice is no more. Tom the Troll wallshat again on my FB. I have written him a PM. Depending on the reply, he will henceforth be UNfriended. FEAR ME, for I hold the POWER of the PERMA-CLICK. You'd think a grown man (partner in a law firm, no less!) would have some sense. Apparently, online brings out all his latent asshole-ishness.

Why am I supposed to like people, again? I need reminding.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by eleanorigby
    Why am I supposed to like people, again? I need reminding.
    Some of us will give you cookies.

Registered
    Feb 2009

also jali you make me want to be a better man
    No.

Don't go changin'
    To try to please me
    You never let me down before
    Don't imagine you're too familiar
    And I don't see you anymore
    I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
    We never could have come this far
    I took the good times, I'll take the bad times
    I'll take you just the way you are wut wut
    Glee 2009

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

You'd think a grown man (partner in a law firm, no less!) would have some sense. Apparently, online brings out all his latent asshole-ishness.
    Yeah, he needs to be disembuddied, like pronto.

Do it, Rigs! Then I can take 'Incite Rebellion' off my bucket list.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've finished my poster! WOO-HOO! It'll take 16 pages to print out and I haven't done a test print and I'm not going to. If anything is too small, tough shit, they can stand up and walk closer. It's purty and spiffy and done!

(I still have to print out all my homework, but I'll do that... later. Tomorrow.)
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by criminey.jicket
    You'd think a grown man (partner in a law firm, no less!) would have some sense. Apparently, online brings out all his latent asshole-ishness.

Do it, Rigs! Then I can take 'Incite Rebellion' off my bucket list.
    I have many thoughts about this whole nonsense. His reply to my PM so completely misses the point (his claim is that I started this by posting, on my own wall, a UPI article re Palin--as if merely posting something on one's own wall is provocative). The Dope or here would eat him alive. The Raffe board would put him in the Box and throw stuff at him (I'd help). I'll think about unfriending him. I hate doing that--it seems so permanent (I'm old: abide with me).

Cookies have been made for #1 son to take to Daughter tomorrow. He's going to Boston to look at schools and see how a College Kid Lives. I also managed to get out and buy a new baby gift, BEFORE the child turns one. Go me.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I almost wish I were on Facebook, just so I could use this line.

If someone is disembuddied, are they then an unfriendly ghost? If so, I vote we call them Rapsacs!

Registered
    Feb 2009

We have some sewers here, right? Any of used ring thimbles? Are they a lot better than normal ones?

I'm working on fixing the collar on one of my underkimono, cuz whoever sewed it on sewed it really crooked and swear they used the heaviest linen they could find (I think it's linen). I have to go through two layers and I know I'm going to end up stabbing myself. Especially since I can't pin it normally, cuz the pins won't go in and out, so they're just sticking through like a studded collar. I've sewn leather that was easier than this.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, here we try to get used to the weather. Rainy and cold, cold and rainy... know it is only March but how difficult would it be to have a little sun around? Pah!

BabyScotch is less snotty, the snot-free vibes you all sent helped, thanks! My parents had a wonderful visit, I loved having them here. ButterBaby is back at Nursery school and I have another friend visiting. It's all go! Despite the weather we are warm, snuggly and full of smiles. Plenty of tea and chocolate to go around.

Once the stream of visitors dries up I need to get to decluttering the house and reflowering the garden. I'm thinking of starting a support thread for house and garden work. I can't be the only procrastinator around here!!

SilverTygerGirl, I don't know about the ring thimble, but if I was sewing all that by hand I'd want an armoured thimble, or glove even... Congrats on finishing the poster, do we get a peek?
    "We don't need to all lose glitter privileges because one kid makes a sparkly penis on the carpeting." - Excalibur

Registered
    Mar 2009

Morning. I am caffeinated and off to work, since Gordie has failed to bark out some winning Powerball numbers.

Congrats on the poster, Tyger.

Congrats on the new TV, Morgyn!
    dogbutler-100% fact free!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I feel a sense of overwhelming disquiet, as if this were the last morning of the world.

Oh, well.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I am at work and lacking in motivation. It's not even pub night yet, I have a day to wait for that delight.

Boring. What, what?
    Heaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Butterscotch
    SilverTygerGirl, I don't know about the ring thimble, but if I was sewing all that by hand I'd want an armoured thimble, or glove even... Congrats on finishing the poster, do we get a peek?
    I managed to only stab myself once! I'd love to share the poster, but it's huge - sixteen pieces of paper huge (yeah, I'm piecing it together, I'm not paying for it to be printed.) I'll see what I can do.

I can't do anything with my hair! We've got a dance coming up and I want to go (cuz it's an excuse to wear kimono...), but I need to either find a way to put up my hair or cut it. The problem is 1) it's too short to braid (shoulder length), 2) it's so heavy if I try to hold it with bobby pins it just falls down (and probably 3) I don't know what I'm doing). Grrr.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hey I don't feel like working the rest of this day, does anyone have any good excuses I can use to get out of work early?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    I feel a sense of overwhelming disquiet, as if this were the last morning of the world.

Oh, well.

Was it a red sky this morning where you are? I lazed in bed for 2 hours, dreaming of Viggo Mortensen (I called him; ladies get in line) and my possible trip to Iceland, which seems less likely because of the guilt I have about spending the money. (My Puritan ancestors would be so proud).

#2 son has a friend coming over this afternoon, so I will be stuck here (at home). It's a rainy March day, but I like rainy March days...

I can't help anyone escape work. If you find an adequate excuse, please share it with everyone. Ta.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hey I don't feel like working the rest of this day, does anyone have any good excuses I can use to get out of work early?
    You have a sudden case of the 24-hour plague.

Registered
    Feb 2009

For those of you who want to see the poster, it's here. It's a very large .gif and some of the text is just this side of legible. Actually, I've just made one minor change to the poster itself, but I'm not updating the image.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Tell them, 'jali needs me".

That should be confusing enough to get you the afternoon off.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Butterscotch
    <snip>
    Once the stream of visitors dries up I need to get to decluttering the house and reflowering the garden. I'm thinking of starting a support thread for house and garden work. I can't be the only procrastinator around here!!
    <snip>
    No, my friend, you most certainly are not. Guess what I should be doing instead of posting here! (A hint - just about everything else.)

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, tyg, that's very detailed. Looks like you put in a lot of hard work. Congrats, but please forgive me for the following nitpicks.

- under Obi-jime, "are more formal the flat" should be "are more formal than flat"
    - "occassions" should be "occasions"
    - "because of it's shorter length" should be "because of its shorter length"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali

That should be confusing enough to get you the afternoon off.

Tell them you must use that time to learn how to tie an obi.

I cannot figure out how to change a lightbulb. Stop laughing. It's true. They are these funky halogen lights in canisters down in the basement and I can't get them to unscrew or pop out. They're in a drop ceiling. I have given up and am dedicating my afternoon to nothing in particular. I am also regretting agreeing to go in for half a day tomorrow. Yeah, it's money. I know we need the money. I just don't wanna...

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

rigs, they may be the type that you need to push in a bit and turn at the same time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

rigs, they may be the type that you need to push in a bit and turn at the same time.
    Thanks, but I tried that. I can't get enough purchase on the damned bulb to remove it. I think I may dump this problem on TH.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, tyg, that's very detailed. Looks like you put in a lot of hard work. Congrats, but please forgive me for the following nitpicks.

- under Obi-jime, "are more formal the flat" should be "are more formal than flat"
    - "occassions" should be "occasions"
    - "because of it's shorter length" should be "because of its shorter length"
    Well, dammit, I already printed it.

Thanks, I'll fix it. (I knew I should've proofread one more time, I really just wanted to be done.) I don't know that my teacher will care, or notice, but I care.

Occasions is one of those words I always misspell.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm a fan of "I ate something that disagreed with me, and I'm feeling a bit... untidy." It's juuuuuust graphic enough that nobody wants to ask any more questions. It could be anything from "I'm not completely sure that was a fart" to "I just totally shit my pants and it's gonna run onto the carpet in a minute if you don't let me go." Use a slightly desperate tone of voice and a distressed demeanor to seal the deal.

I'm laundrying. I could be rototilling but my knee hurts and so does my elbow (I think that's Bear's doing--he yanks like a freight train!) and it's less than stellar weather out there so laundry it is!

Still feeling a bit cranky/butthurt about things 'n stuff in general so I'm being unsociable--I expect this will improve sometime, it usually does...

Rigs, go ahead and unfriend Butthole Boy, what's he gonna do, throw a fit in public? He might not even noticed it happened--who really checks their friend list anyway?
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, I did (in essence). I want to be able to post on his wall, if the need arises (I like to keep all my options open). He has decided that this is all my problem (that's what he calls it: "your problem").

Evil me wants to post all manner of shit on my wall aka trolling. :evil: But I won't. It's not worth the aggravation.

I am awaiting Frasier to come on. Yes, my life is that boring. TH is out and about today, spreading his resume far and wide. I feel for him-- looking for a job sucks. Laundry is done. Sheets changed on #1 son's bed while he's away. Dinner is cooked and eaten and cleaned up. All's right with my world.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by SilverTygerGirl
    Me too.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Julie
    Quote Originally posted by SilverTygerGirl
    Me too.

Upon occ-- upon ocassion--upon occ.... Hell, sometimes I do, too.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I got a George Foreman grill about 3 weeks ago, because I wanted a way to grill meat that didn't involve an actual bar-b-que grill. Don't get me wrong, I love barbeque grills, and I do a mean steak; but I have no place to put one, and it's a bit much for someone who lives alone.

I've used it 3 times so far. I like it, but I'm still learning how to time stuff. So far, I've managed to overcook 2 Delmonicos and a sirloin steak, and the two thick cut pork chops I did were a bit overdone on the top and bottom but ok otherwise. The Delmonicos were definitely in too long (although they weren't tough thanks to being well-marbled). The sirloin I cooked for MUCH less time, and it was still a bit too well done for my taste.

I need new lighting/lamps for my bedroom. I've got a bit of a hodge-podge right now, partially thanks to Shiva (my 3-year-old cat who lives up to his name all too well). He almost burned the house down the other week by knocking a lamp shade askew enough to put it Right On the Bulb. The shade was turning brown when I found it. Besides, I think it would be nice if there were a bit of coordination to the lamps and the furniture. And more of them. The bedroom is definitely ill-lit.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I am awaiting Frasier to come on. Yes, my life is that boring.
    While Frasier isn't as funny as Two and a Half Men, it's worth waiting for.

I got my hair cut today. I'll take pictures later, but I got about four inches chopped off the back (and not the front). The style is from this, but my front 'tails' (that's what my mom dubbed them) only go just past my bust. I need to cut off an inch or so to get rid of all the split ends.

XJETGIRLX

Ugh. I can't read the title of this thread without thinking about

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by XJETGIRLX
    Ugh. I can't read the title of this thread without thinking about
    that is one hypnotic video and by all rights the theme song to thunderdome

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Heard back from the doc re my blood tests, and in spite of my low fat/high fiber diet and exercise and all the rest of it I have high cholesterol. Shit. Thanks dad, you asshole, not only did I have to deal with you as a parent I also got your shitty genes and tendency toward high cholesterol. Fucker. So now it's gonna be Zocor for three months. Dammit.

I need a haircut but I hate, hate, hate having it done and I'm more likely to trim it myself than go in--I wish I knew a hairdresser I could trust not to fuck it up.

I'm all grumpy now...
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Registered
    Mar 2009

Once upon a time there was a pretty, perky young nurse named eleanorigby. She was a very nice and good nurse and all her patients loved her. The doctors loved her too, because she actually used her brain at work and knew to assess her pts and inform them of any changes. Her coworkers liked her because she was a strong team member, except those coworkers who resented her insisting that they do work as well.
    All was as well as could be expected in a modern day stepdown unit until ONE day, The Darth Witch of the DeathEaters came to work there. TDWOTDE was an evil woman, prone to episodic adult temper tantrums along with an ego the size of Montana. TDWOTDE made a habit of "drive-bys", meaning she would come on the unit, pick a nurse, any nurse and proceed to pick apart that nurse's work for that morning. This improved morale and made TDWOTDE feel better, or so she said. TDWOTDE did other malicious and heinous things like diss other staff nurses to ancillary staff and administration. The staff thinks she slaked her thirst on the tears of her victims.
    When asked by pretty, perky eleanorigby why in 4 years TDWOTDE had never had anything good to say about her job performance, despite pretty, perky eleanorigby being nominated for Nurse of the Quarter etc, TDWOTDE replied that eleanorigby was part time, so she didn't "count". Pretty, perky eleanorigby decided that being in hell was not for her and so she took not only a cut in pay and hours, but also a cut in status to move to another department, directed by a human. Fast forward 2 years.
    Tomorrow is TDWOTDE's last day. She made the announcement yesterday that she is "moving on". Pretty, perky eleanorigby thinks that TPTB who have recently taken over her place of employment have made this decision for TDWOTDE and stopped short of driving a stake through her heart.

And they all lived happily ever after! Ding dong, the witch is DEAD!

troubleagain

And the munchkins cried Amen!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali
    I'm going to start using this. Often.
    Something witty and just obscure enough to make you think I'm cool.

+ Reply to thread