Poll results: Change the Post per page in The Dark Room?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 post per page

1 4.55%
  • 10 post per page

8 36.36%
  • 15 post per page

2 9.09%
  • 20 post per page

5 22.73%
  • no leave as is

6 27.27%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Dark Room (post per page count). Survey says ... 10 posts per page.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default The Dark Room (post per page count). Survey says ... 10 posts per page.

As per http://domebo.net/forum/viewtopic.ph...=unread#unread.

Due to the large number of links and photo's in TDR threads, lode times are longer than most. Dragon has requested and I seconded a motion to reduce the number of pose per page in TDR. What Exit says it can be done.

Time to put it to a vote. All in favor...

You may change your vote.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: The Dark Room (post per page count).

Excellent idea. I've got a decent connection and it still gets irritating waiting for a whole page of posts and pictures to come up.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I voted 15 posts per page. Another option might be to limit the number of images per post.

There was also a suggestion to use clickable thumbnails. I wonder if people would prefer going that route instead?

Side question: Can anyone explain (in plain English) how the [img] tags work?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I voted 10 ppp. As a happy medium. Anything over 15 ppp why bother?
    Welcome to Mellophant.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

How long is the time difference between 10 posts and 20 loading?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That would depend on the number of pics, size of pics, and lag time of host servers.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I voted 10 also.....

Thanks for putting up the poll....
    No job is too hard for the person who does not have to do it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by yawndave
    There was also a suggestion to use clickable thumbnails. I wonder if people would prefer going that route instead?
    Turning off "Display images" leaves a little img link that takes you to the image, if you prefer that.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, it turns out that the new post per page mod that we are adding might over ride any changes we make to TDR specifically.

So if we need to speed up page load times (which I agree are awfully slow) we might need to make a different change to the forum. I will move this thread to TDR and leave it open, maybe we can get some suggestions from people who use the forum a lot. What Exit? is looking into seeing if he can make TDR an exception to the post per page mod, but I don't know if he will be able to do anything so we will should probably have a backup plan in case he isn't able to separate TDR.

I would rather not have to take us down to only posting thumbnail pics personally, but I am open to any suggestions anyone might have.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138
    Well, it turns out that the new post per page mod that we are adding might over ride any changes we make to TDR specifically.

So if we need to speed up page load times (which I agree are awfully slow) we might need to make a different change to the forum. I will move this thread to TDR and leave it open, maybe we can get some suggestions from people who use the forum a lot. What Exit? is looking into seeing if he can make TDR an exception to the post per page mod, but I don't know if he will be able to do anything so we will should probably have a backup plan in case he isn't able to separate TDR.
    There is also the temporary option of setting your post per page in the User Control Panel to only 10 while you're browsing the Dark Room. Then set it back when you return to the rest of the board. It is not a solution, but a working work-around.

[Code Gibberish]I'm hunting down a fix though, I think a few lines of code can do it if I can find the correct field and my idea works. [/Code Gibberish]

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?

There is also the temporary option of setting your post per page in the User Control Panel to only 10 while you're browsing the Dark Room. Then set it back when you return to the rest of the board. It is not a solution, but a working work-around.

[Code Gibberish]I'm hunting down a fix though, I think a few lines of code can do it if I can find the correct field and my idea works. [/Code Gibberish]
    The made the code fix. It is 10 per page in all styles.

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: The Dark Room (post per page count). Survey says ... 10 posts per page.

I really hate having only 10 posts per page in The Dark Room. Is there absolutely no way for an individual to set it back to 50?
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: The Dark Room (post per page count). Survey says ... 10 posts per page.

Seconding Vox's question. 10 posts per per page really cocks up my game since posters will have to page back and forth to see which shots are still unguessed (I had been doing a roundup of unguessed shots at the top of each page.) If not, so be it.

ETA: Sorry, What Exit?
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Vox Imperatoris
    I really hate having only 10 posts per page in The Dark Room. Is there absolutely no way for an individual to set it back to 50?
    Whimper, cry, sadness,

I'll look into a possibility. It might be a bit kludgey. How would you feel about your setting your posts per page to either 28, 56 or 84 as three semi-random numbers to get the Dark Room to display those numbers instead?

Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote=What Exit?]
    Quote Originally posted by "Vox Imperatoris":280qvhw7
    Whimper, cry, sadness,

I'll look into a possibility. It might be a bit kludgey. How would you feel about your setting your posts per page to either 28, 56 or 84 as three semi-random numbers to get the Dark Room to display those numbers instead?[/quote:280qvhw7]

I don't understand. Why would those numbers be necessary?
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Registered
    Feb 2009

[quote=Vox Imperatoris][quote="What Exit?":t0r9jube]
    Quote Originally posted by "Vox Imperatoris":t0r9jube
    Whimper, cry, sadness,

I'll look into a possibility. It might be a bit kludgey. How would you feel about your setting your posts per page to either 28, 56 or 84 as three semi-random numbers to get the Dark Room to display those numbers instead?[/quote:t0r9jube]

I don't understand. Why would those numbers be necessary?[/quote:t0r9jube]
    I was strongly requested by the Dark Room Mod and the Poll to set the number of posts for TDR down.

To help you out, I would need to write a piece of garbage code that said, if User Posts Per Page = A select group of infrequently used numbers, use that number and not 10 as posts per page in the Dark Room ( Forum# = 11)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, okay. How about 51, then?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, okay. How about 51, then?
    Not that is matters much, but what is the difference between 51 and 56 for you?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I would rather be out of sync with everyone else by the least amount possible.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Maybe we should run the poll again in here. I am getting the feeling that not everyone saw it over in TPB.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Maybe we should run the poll again in here. I am getting the feeling that not everyone saw it over in TPB.
    Maybe as a general announcement?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Maybe as a general announcement?
    I nearly have a good fix in place. Hold off on the poll please.

OK, Go into the User Control Panel and you will see a new field under Edit display options for Posts per page in The Dark Room:

It defaults to 10. This was a real pain to implement and I still need to fix the Search Pages displays for TDR and get it running in the other styles.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Registered
    Mar 2009

That rocks... thanks.....
    No job is too hard for the person who does not have to do it.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks, WhatExit?!
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    It defaults to 10. This was a real pain to implement and I still need to fix the Search Pages displays for TDR and get it running in the other styles.
    You're the best. Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I finally fixed the Post Per Page function on the Search Results for the Dark Room. So this mod is now 100%.

+ Reply to thread