+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates! The Arr-P-G -- The First Chantey

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Pirates! The Arr-P-G -- The First Chantey

Sean hands the chest off to the captain, then takes a quick look around the cabin for any valuable navigational instruments for the Cormorant, then heads topside.

Before returning to his ship, he takes his knife and slashes the ropes that stop the recoil of the cannons aboard the Sunflower, just in case they get any ideas after being cast loose.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Roger apologies to Sean if he's 'teaching his grandmother to suck eggs', but could Sean check the chest for traps?

And seeing that Tess has been helpful, Roger thanks her (and then thinks a bit about her):

- this was the smallish figure inspiring the Sunflower's crew
    - she held up well to an interrogation, despite being injured
    - she speaks French (as far as Roger knows!)

He tells the crew he's going to offer to let Tess join the Cormorant crew - do they have any problems with that?
    My motto is "Never apologise, never explain."

Sorry, I should say that I got that from Colin Hoult...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by glee
    Worried about this part. If she were willingly fighting on their side, can we trust her?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

(Sean is unable to find any obvious trap on the chest, but he is also unable to tell how it opens. It seems to be locked quite securely... and of course there is no knowing what is inside it.)
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Do you want me to smash it against the nearest wall?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Roger apologies to Sean if he's 'teaching his grandmother to suck eggs', but could Sean check the chest for traps?

And seeing that Tess has been helpful, Roger thanks her (and then thinks a bit about her):

- she held up well to an interrogation, despite being injured
    - she speaks French (as far as Roger knows!)

He tells the crew he's going to offer to let Tess join the Cormorant crew - do they have any problems with that?
    No problems on my part.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have no problems either, captain.

I couldn't make heads or tails of the chest in the time I had - it's possible that I could give it a better look over on the voyage back, but that might leave marks. We might be able to blame them on the other crew, but it's something to consider.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

What's the plan for now, then?
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, just a suggestion, but Roger could either make his offer to Tess, or ask her if she knows anything about the chest, or both.
    Wow, WhyNot, you're brilliant! Especially on Thursdays!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Harlequin
    Worried about this part. If she were willingly fighting on their side, can we trust her?
    1. It's a fair point, but Roger is still confident because:

- pirate ships and crew seem to swap over (e.g. Roger won the Cormorant in a gambling game)
    - we beat the other crew soundly, so her prospects are better with us
    - the Doctor treated her wound well
    - she told us where the chest was

Given the mood of the crew:
    So Captain Roger offers Tess a place in his crew. Equal shares and risk for everyone (after paying fro any maintenance expenses)

2. Whether or not she accepts, he'll ask if she knows how to open the chest without damaging it.

He's not too bothered if Tess or Sean can't open the chest, because the job was to recover it. (For all Roger knows, the chest is worth more than the contents!)

3. Assuming all useful supplies have been scavenged from the Sunflower, Roger releases her crew and tells them to sail off away from Port Morant.
    He recommends we sail back straightaway (to Tortuga) because:

- we get our reward* quicker
    - we don't risk the Jamaican who ordered the theft spotting us in Port Morant

As usual, crew opinions are welcome. :smile:

*or (for any pessimists among the crew), we get double-crossed

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

ABE grumbles quietly to himself about having a woman's touch on board... and how it's less booty for us all... and what useful skills does she have? Getting shot? However, he gives a nod of consent and is there a Jewish smiley face right there?

ANYWAYS.
    Yeah. ABE is fine with the woman on board, provided she can hold up her end of... whatever she's holding up.
    So where're we sailing to now? Where did we haff to drop this thing off at, Cap'n?
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by RoOsh
    and how it's less booty for us all
    It seems to me that there's a lot more booty onboard now.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

and how it's less booty for us all
    It seems to me that there's a lot more booty onboard now.
    :grumble: And so it begins!:grumble grumblue: T'ain't right!" :grumble grumble:

ABE has seen too many a fine sailor lose their sea legs to the female persuasion.... If they ain't related to ya, they're just plain dangerous! Barracudas the lot of them! (cue guitar riffs)
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Shouldn't worry. Tuck has no taste for white meat.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Having left the Sunflower armament disabled for the time being and her crew under orders to sail away from Port Morant, Cap'n Roger has her ungrappled and calls for a course back to Tortuga. You're scraping the bottom of the biscuit barrels by the time you get back, but once safely back at your berth alongside there is no reason not to go in search of fresh supplies.

It will probably come as no surprise that once you're ashore it's only a short while before someone steps out of the shadows and says "Our friend is waiting". You don't recognise the man in question but he gives you a wink and mutters "Tomas sent me".

ETA - By this time Tess is up and about - she stopped coughing up blood after the first night and continued to recover under the Doctor's expert care. Kat, your Toughness is back to normal.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sean slips away quietly in order to potentially follow the man from the shadows. He expects that he may be needed as backup if the Captain goes along to deliver the chest.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tess accepts the position once she's been duly informed "what's in it for her" and, hearing ABE's grumbling, makes a comment while he's within earshot, "Je suis le navigateur." rather sharply; a bit prickly at any assumption that she can't do her share.

Does she get a shot to look over the chest (for traps and opening) before they go ashore?

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh great. She doesn't speak English either. And a Jesuit to boot! :grumble grumble:

ABE rolls his eyes at another fine mess the Cap'n's gotten us all into.... However, he's now going to be packing a pistol from now on (realizing in that last battle that he might be one of the better shots on the crew. As much as he hates to fight... if it keeps the rest of the men alive, then hopefully they can better keep HIM alive. And another day alive, is another day at Sea! Yarrr!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tuck stays close to the Captain. There are too many people he doesn't trust involved here.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Darth Sensitive
    Sean slips away quietly in order to potentially follow the man from the shadows. He expects that he may be needed as backup if the Captain goes along to deliver the chest.
    Can we assume that Roger and Sean tacitly agreed that before Roger sets off with the messenger?

Captain Roger welcomes Tess to the crew.

He asks the Doctor to check Tess' wound and then the two of them can resupply the ship (Roger gives them some coins for this).

Tuck stays close to the Captain. There are too many people he doesn't trust involved here.
    Roger mutters to Tuck that he is grateful to have a tough companion with him.
    Roger then alerts Bones to join them.
    So Roger (with the untouched chest), Tuck and Bones are going with the messenger, with Sean following them discreetly.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I double-check Tess's wounds, then we go off to search for supplies.

Specifically, the weapon kind, since Tuck knows better than I do about food. We also look for extra shipbuilding materials, and some more medical supplies.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

You can stock up on the essentials, certainly - at least, nails, cordage and such trifles, maybe a spare spar or two. The schooner's sails are suffering a bit in the tropical sun but it would be a major expense to replace them. Also you can order up some more powder and shot assuming you will be in harbour for a few days.

Your guide leads you to one of the town's most reputable taverns where you are actually shown into a private parlour. Tomas is waiting, a wine decanter at his elbow, as well dressed as before and enjoying a silver-stemmed pipe of good tobacco. "All went well?" he asks.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

So Roger (with the untouched chest), Tuck and Bones are going with the messenger, with Sean following them discreetly.
    Hmm... looks like ABE is staying back with the Ship to watch over it for any funny business/ and to check it for any repairs/gunnery supplies in the meanwhile.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

And I guess Tess will [del:24p0zhlc]case[/del:24p0zhlc] familiarize herself with her new ship.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

O_o

So it's just ABE and Tess on the ship?

ABE will secretly follow Tess Around to keep an eye on the woman. Hiding in terrible locations and obvious manners and ducking out of sight if she looks over of course.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The first couple of times that Tess notices ABE "hiding", she has to resist the urge to walk over and smack or kick him hard. The next few times she catches sight of him ducking, she rolls her eyes and ignores him. About the 7th or 8th time, she suddenly sits down on the floor, covers her face, and her whole body starts shaking uncontrollably.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

With the words of an old Admiral friend echoing in his head from long ago, ABE wonders what's going on with the woman now. It could be seizures. Or a trap. Or Voodoo?
    ABE's eyes widen at that thought, and he stays back and continues to observe the strange woman from a distance, with his hand on his pistol for now.

"You uh.... all right there, Miss?"

Bullets cured voodoo, right?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Wiping her eyes, Tess takes a deep breath and looks up at ABE. "Je regret, m'sieur. It is just..." She pauses, trying to word her observation inoffensively, as well as not break out laughing agin. "...please pardon if my English is...not exact.... You are..." Tess gestures vaguely "...not so good at hiding."

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"Fine then, Ma'am. But not all who hide don't want to be found...." ABE slowly walks over and gives Tess a beat up musket ball from his pocket. "This is the bullet that the Doc got outta you, Ma'am. And this..." says Ezekiel brandishing another shot, "is the ball that'll finish the job of the first if you try anything fishy with the rest of the crew or to this ship."

"I ain't no goddamm Captain o' the ship, but I've seen a bit of things around my days on this world. Fine men gunned down for foolish reasons that didn't have to be. Pretty young things that turned out to be nothing but lies and crews torn apart for one foolish reason. If you want to start a new life, that's fine with me- I'll gladly welcome you aboard. Who am I to say no to that? But you cross my Cap'n, my crew, or my ship, so help us God, I will not hesitate to shoot you down where you stand, Ma'am. One shot. And I won't need to hide for that."

With that warning, ABE backs away from Tess and nods his head. "Welcome aboard the Cormorant , Ma'am. Oh. And if you have sticky hands, just don't touch my goddamn model ships." And with that, ABE turns around, and flips up his eye patch, as he heads back inside of the ship to get some shuteye (but not before telling the crew to make sure they keep an eye on the woman, and let him know if she touches any part of the SHIP at least otherwise, he's fine to let her be).

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Hmm... looks like ABE is staying back with the Ship to watch over it for any funny business/ and to check it for any repairs/gunnery supplies in the meanwhile.
    Um, I don't want to disturb the marvellous by-play between ABE and Tess, but isn't ABE also called "Bones"?
    So ABE Bones was invited to go with Roger (because Roger can count up to 6!)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra
    You can stock up on the essentials, certainly - at least, nails, cordage and such trifles, maybe a spare spar or two. The schooner's sails are suffering a bit in the tropical sun but it would be a major expense to replace them. Also you can order up some more powder and shot assuming you will be in harbour for a few days.

Your guide leads you to one of the town's most reputable taverns where you are actually shown into a private parlour. Tomas is waiting, a wine decanter at his elbow, as well dressed as before and enjoying a silver-stemmed pipe of good tobacco. "All went well?" he asks.
    Do we need to replace the foresail that got hit by roundshot?

Captain Roger says that after good planning, a combat and a skilful interrogation, the chest has been recovered.
    He adds that it hasn't been opened by him or his crew (obviously he can't speak for the thieves).
    If that is satisfactory, Roger is happy to exchange it for the promised reward.
    And if this mission has gone well, then Roger would be interested in further commissions...

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Um, I don't want to disturb the marvellous by-play between ABE and Tess, but isn't ABE also called "Bones"?
    So ABE Bones was invited to go with Roger (because Roger can count up to 6!)

Bones is apparently a bit hard of hearing from all those years at the Cannon and stayed behind.

(/oog When I hear Bones, I keep thinking of the Doctor because of Star Trek. But yeah, ABE Bones is my name. Next time someone might want to tap him on his shoulder.
    Almost Blind, Almost Deaf Ezekiel Bones)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Tomas inspects the chest carefully, then nods in satisfaction. "Good. I believe my gentleman would like a word with you. Can you be ready soon for a voyage to Porto Bello, on the Main? Near what will one day be the Panama Canal You do not need to leave at once."

He hands Roger another purse of gold, rather weightier than the first. "As promised."

You could maybe get away with patching the foresail - on the other hand, you can now afford to replace it and the mainsail, if you don't mind waiting a few days for the sail-loft to deal with you.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tuck is getting impatient. He does not like Tomas.

"What is it you want us to do, in Porto Bello?"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm sure we can find a sail quick, if we go that route. I think we should wait and see what our mission is before we decide.

Anyway, once I'm done buying supplies, me and Tess plot a route to Porto Bello.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

(Psst, you don't know where we're going yet)

Sean waits at the bar outside the private room to see if anybody else happens to be taking interest in the meeting.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

ABE sleeps soundly. Dreaming of his sisters back home enjoying the new found wealth he will send them.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tomas inspects the chest carefully, then nods in satisfaction. "Good. I believe my gentleman would like a word with you. Can you be ready soon for a voyage to Porto Bello, on the Main? Near what will one day be the Panama Canal You do not need to leave at once."

He hands Roger another purse of gold, rather weightier than the first. "As promised."
    Roger swiftly checks the gold and (provided it's all there) thanks Tomas.

Roger politely tries to get hold of the conversation from Tuck.
    "As you can see, my crew are both fierce and keen. And, yes we can be ready in a few days."

(Roger is allowing time for repairing a couple of sails and replenishing all supplies.)

"Could we prevail upon you to let us know our purpose in Porto Bello?"

(Roger has always hankered after becoming an English country Squire and has picked up some appropriate speech mannerisms...)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Darth Sensitive
    (Psst, you don't know where we're going yet)

Sean waits at the bar outside the private room to see if anybody else happens to be taking interest in the meeting.
    No no, I'm just doing this on a whim. :smile:

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Roger swiftly checks the gold and (provided it's all there) thanks Tomas.

Roger politely tries to get hold of the conversation from Tuck.
    "As you can see, my crew are both fierce and keen. And, yes we can be ready in a few days."

(Roger is allowing time for repairing a couple of sails and replenishing all supplies.)

"Could we prevail upon you to let us know our purpose in Porto Bello?"

(Roger has always hankered after becoming an English country Squire and has picked up some appropriate speech mannerisms...)
    "My gentleman would not wish me to say too much at this stage, but I may tell you that you might be undertaking a voyage of some distance. And, of course, you would hardly be expected to do it for nothing."

Something seems to amuse Tomas, but he signals for the wine decanter to be applied again.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"My gentleman would not wish me to say too much at this stage, but I may tell you that you might be undertaking a voyage of some distance. And, of course, you would hardly be expected to do it for nothing."

Something seems to amuse Tomas, but he signals for the wine decanter to be applied again.
    Roger will ask for rough guidance of the journey time (days, weeks, months?) and when + where he should meet with Tomas' patron.
    The he will thank Tomas, make a stab at a bow and lead his crew back to the Cormorant.
    He will tell the crew all about the reward money, but that he just wants to resupply before handing over the agreed shares of dosh. Repairs may take the sail -loft a few days but resupplying comes before p*ss*ps!
    He will add that so far Tomas + patron have been square with us, so he's accepted their next commission.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

ABE will go along with (whoever has the bargaining skill) to try to ensure they purchase a good quality sail for the best price possible, and then will repair the ship. He is most pleased with the prospect of improving his ship.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Roger will ask for rough guidance of the journey time (days, weeks, months?) and when + where he should meet with Tomas' patron.
    The he will thank Tomas, make a stab at a bow and lead his crew back to the Cormorant.
    He will tell the crew all about the reward money, but that he just wants to resupply before handing over the agreed shares of dosh. Repairs may take the sail -loft a few days but resupplying comes before p*ss*ps!
    He will add that so far Tomas + patron have been square with us, so he's accepted their next commission.
    "Weeks - at least to begin with - but your schooner should be able to carry enough provisions; it was another schooner that made the trip before, and started from further away." Tomas smiles as though aware he has just spoken in riddles.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yarrr....
    Tis be a bad weekend for Pirates.
    :bump:

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, that's Easter for you - everyone too full of chocolate eggs, I'll be bound. We'll get things moving in the next day or so.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As per previous, Roger is going to organise sail repairs and gunnery supplies through ABE, provisions through Tuck, then share out the remaining reward money from Tomas' Patron.
    Then he'll arrange shore-leave in order for all and cross his fingers the crew don't get too ... err ... intoxicated or infected.
    He'll ask Tomas if he can be a bit more specific about the general area of the destination (claiming that his Sailing Master and Victualler will need time to plan for the voyage.)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Then he'll arrange shore-leave in order for all and cross his fingers the crew don't get too ... err ... intoxicated or infected.
    I have no objections to this plan.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

provisions through Tuck
    Tuck does his part, but he grumbles while doing so.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

ABE will be delighted to make improvements on his Ship. He dreams of purchasing only the most useful and efficient tools, and then seeing what the Bargainer can actually manage to get....

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tess perks up a bit at the prospect of shore leave, though she supposes she'll have to stay out of trouble.

+ Reply to thread