+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates! The Arr-P-G -- The First Chantey

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Pirates! The Arr-P-G -- The First Chantey

Have they spotted us yet? If so, I'd like to make myself a rather conspicuous target (to the other pirates, not the cannons), to possibly absorb the first nonlethal blow. If not, I wait for further instructions. Either way, I pack any bandages and salves I can carry on my person.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by pedescribe
    I'd like to make myself a rather conspicuous target (to the other pirates, not the cannons), to possibly absorb the first nonlethal blow.
    Captain Roger makes a mental note to commend that man. :twisted:
    My motto is "Never apologise, never explain."

Sorry, I should say that I got that from Colin Hoult...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tuck makes a mental note to make sure to be behind the Doctor when the shooting starts.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Harlequin
    Tuck makes a mental note to make sure to be behind the Doctor when the shooting starts.
    There isn't room.

"Razor" has a look through the bring-'em-near and observes without surprise that someone aboard the other vessel is doing likewise. He manages to make out the name Sunflower on her bow. Though a slightly smaller vessel than yours, she seems to have a similar-sized crew and also a couple of four-pounders much like yours on her upper deck (both craft are too small for gun-decks below). One advantage you have on the run-in is that you have the wind "free" - generally behind you - and so can change direction more easily than she can. Your guns, and hers, can fire only to either side; otherwise it's musketry, for which you need to close to not much over fifty yards.

You have plenty of grappling hooks should you wish to board her at some time in the coming action.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tuck says sweep in and fire the cannons. They're not expecting us to open fire and we can maneuver better than they can. Blast them and then move in to board. I've got a hankering to bust a skull or two.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

YEAH DEATH DESTRUCTION YEAH!

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

ABE: "Captain, do you want me to fire a warning shot across her bows... and maybe into them? That way perhaps we can just board her without any dillydallying around on the waters and make it a land battle for the rest of you?" He notes Tuck's recommendation to show no mercy as well- "We don't want to sink 'er, Tuck. Though perhaps a straight shot across her bows to disable HER guns might just do the trick.... Perhaps a bit of deception COULD work.... Yarrr."

ABE realizes that with the wind at our backs, if we come in head first we'll present less of a target to her, while we can more quickly turn to fire. He starts to at least bring in the ship to just out side of their gun's range and waits further orders.
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sean pipes up, sharpening a knife "I would recommend against a shot across the bow at the ranges we'll be fighting at - if they're preparing to fight too, a reload may put us behind in fire. I say we load with cannister, or grape, and give them one chance to surrender before we blast her deck. I'm a fair shot with a musket - shall I concentrate on small arms or crew the guns cap'n?"

(If I'm wanted on small arms, I'll take up a position in the fighting top [do we have a fighting top or similar up top?] or somewhat out of the way on deck, and aim for any gunnery looking types first, then leaders. He'll take a grappling hook too, in case it comes down to boarding)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Captain Roger is grateful for the crew's suggestions.

He notes that the Sunflower has both crew and gun power roughly equal to our own.
    If either ship takes several casualties, they will be in a bad way. (N.B. Even if all goes well, Roger is thinking of recruiting at least one more crewman, as most duties on the Cormorant are only covered by a single person.)
    He remembers that the Cormorant only has grapeshot and roundshot loads, plus enough powder for one action.
    Apart from Bones (our Gunner), we are all Indifferent at Musketry.
    We have the advantage of the wind behind us.

We've been hired to retrieve a chest, so sinking the Sunflower is truly a last resort.

Assuming Tomas tolds us the truth, the Sunflower has got stolen goods, so will be alert. However (thanks to our efficient crew!) we are approaching from Port Morant, which makes us less suspicious.

Putting all this together with his freedom of action under the Pirates Code:

Roger states firmly that we need to sweep their decks with grapeshot without warning. (We can't risk them doing that to us, or being better at Musketry than we are.)
    After most of them are dead or disabled, we can call for their surrender (we may need a survivor to help us find the chest).

Roger asks the crew if anyone has tactical objections. (If you have moral objections, piracy is not for you! :twisted: )

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yarr! Sounds like a plan!

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

ABE grimaces at the Captain's willingness to use Grapeshot so readily- but understands that these are not just simple tradesmen, but fellow pirates and robbers as well. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

"Captain, tactically speaking I think I should load up the grapeshot, and then swing the ship onto a stead course to pass the Sunflower, then I'll let one of you take the helm while I man the gun. If we've only got one shot, I suppose I oughta make it count, no? And if I fire the first shot, then there's no real need for me to continue to be by the guns, so I'll just run back up to the helm to sail circles around them before they even know what's going on!"
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by RoOsh
    ABE grimaces at the Captain's willingness to use Grapeshot so readily- but understands that these are not just simple tradesmen, but fellow pirates and robbers as well. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

"Captain, tactically speaking I think I should load up the grapeshot, and then swing the ship onto a stead course to pass the Sunflower, then I'll let one of you take the helm while I man the gun. If we've only got one shot, I suppose I oughta make it count, no? And if I fire the first shot, then there's no real need for me to continue to be by the guns, so I'll just run back up to the helm to sail circles around them before they even know what's going on!"
    Captain Roger announces that he didn't get where he did today without being ruthless. :twisted:

He repeats that we have enough powder for one combat (as opposed to one shot), but agrees that Bones should fire the first shot. (Since Shiphandling is related to Toughness, Tuck should should take the helm for this.)
    If we need to continue fighting after that, Bones and Tuck should keep their positions. The rest of us can try Musketry if we are in range.

As soon as the enemy take casualties, Roger will offer to spare their lives and vessel if they surrender.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by glee
    He repeats that we have enough powder for one combat (as opposed to one shot), but agrees that Bones should fire the first shot. (Since Shiphandling is related to Toughness, Tuck should should take the helm for this.)
    Actually Cahpitahn, Shiphandling is an intellectual pursuit- it takes mind over body to dance a ship around the enemy. Not to insult our dear cook, but perhaps the good Doctor should man the helm instead....

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll leave the helm to the Doctor and make sure my musket is loaded and ready.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll climb into the sails and be prepared to fire from there.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Actually Cahpitahn, Shiphandling is an intellectual pursuit- it takes mind over body to dance a ship around the enemy. Not to insult our dear cook, but perhaps the good Doctor should man the helm instead....
    Ooops! I saw (T) next to Bones' Shiphandling and thought it meant Toughness, whereas it was Tag...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll leave the helm to the Doctor and make sure my musket is loaded and ready.
    Quote Originally posted by Darth Sensitive
    I'll climb into the sails and be prepared to fire from there.
    Thanks, men!

Roger will also have his musket ready... (and be hoping he's lucky in his first ship combat)

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Once we get into close range (ie: where cannons are no longer needed, ABE plans on running off to the helm or hiding behind something, as he's pretty much utterly useless in combat situations not involving ships.

I mean uh... "Someone needs to man the sails and keep everything steady...."

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh wait! I have reflexes! I can dodge and fire a pistol reasonable well! Yarrr! Where's the guns and ammo then? Screw the swords and fancy crap, gimmie my bullets!

ETA: Good lord, I'm also the only one of us who's a reasonable shot too....
    (-_-)
    Maybe I should duck behind some barrels.... But alrighteous, looks like it's up to Almost Blind Ezekiel to try to take the harder shots.... :|

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

When Bones goes to fire, I keep the ship on its course.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No need - you have faceless extras to do that. I'll have you do something more interesting.

Acting on Abe's orders, the helmsman brings Cormorant around to starboard across the Sunflower's bows. Abe himself crouches by the larboard gun, having elevated it already he waits for it to come on target and cuts loose with a round of grape. A generous handful of iron shot sweeps the length of the cutter, splinters fly, several men fall. Moments later the Sunflower's single port gun barks a reply and a four-pounder roundshot punches through the schooner's foresail, but does no other damage. Cormorant heels over as she is brought about, passing across Sunflower's stern, and amid the screaming and yelling Sean spies a smalling figure near the cutter's counter apparently rallying several panicking crewmembers. He is well within range for a musket shot and his aim is true.

Close-hauled, the Cormorant forges alongside the Sunflower and the grappling hooks go over as soon as she overhauls her by half a length. The enemy gunner and his crew are hard at work trying to bring the starboard gun round to bear on the schooner, so Roger yells "Boarders away!" and himself looses at the gunner. The smoke obscures his vision for a moment, then clears to reveal the fallen gunner.

Now it's hand to hand and blade to blade, with Abe and Bonney looking for suitable pistol targets. A bold cutlass-wielder takes a swipe at the massive figure of Tuck but, unnerved by the fearsome giant bearing down on him, misses. Tuck's own blow goes wild and almost severs the main halyard by mistake. Bonney's pistol cracks and one of the Sunflower's crew falls. Abe spies someone who looks especially well-dressed and fells him with a pinpoint shot.

Yelling and roaring bloodthirstily, Roger leads a charge, his sabre flashing in the midday sunlight, and now the Sunflowers are crying for quarter. But something catches Sean's eye - the undersized crewmember he felled a few minutes ago. A bandana has fallen away to reveal long hair that is innocent of the tarry pigtail that many sailors affect, and the mass of hair frames a face too delicately-boned even for a boy. He cries hoarsely for Doctor Bonney, for it's held by all that never did a gentleman of fortune kill a woman and see a good day after...
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

So Cap'n, are we killing people? If not, Tuck drops his cutlass and warms up the old knuckles.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

So Cap'n, are we killing people? If not, Tuck drops his cutlass and warms up the old knuckles.
    Roger's previous plan applies:

As soon as the enemy take casualties, Roger will offer to spare their lives and vessel if they surrender.
    We get a big reward for the chest, so Roger's idea was to get captives to say where it was. He's happy to threaten them with walking the plank (or keelhauling) if they won't co-operate.
    (It's also worth us giving some value away if it means us not taking casualties, though we can certainly take all their coin and valuables if we're leaving them their vessel.)

Roger runs through the combat in his mind.

Strategy: Good (well done, crew)
    Tactics: Excellent (no casualties)
    Personal: Brave ("Yelling and roaring bloodthirstily, Roger leads a charge" ... good grief - what bloodlust will do to a man!)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Then it's time to put these fists to use. Unconscious but alive, that's what we're doing.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra
    No need - you have faceless extras to do that. I'll have you do something more interesting.

Acting on Abe's orders, the helmsman brings Cormorant around to starboard across the Sunflower's bows. Abe himself crouches by the larboard gun, having elevated it already he waits for it to come on target and cuts loose with a round of grape. A generous handful of iron shot sweeps the length of the cutter, splinters fly, several men fall. Moments later the Sunflower's single port gun barks a reply and a four-pounder roundshot punches through the schooner's foresail, but does no other damage. Cormorant heels over as she is brought about, passing across Sunflower's stern, and amid the screaming and yelling Sean spies a smalling figure near the cutter's counter apparently rallying several panicking crewmembers. He is well within range for a musket shot and his aim is true.

Close-hauled, the Cormorant forges alongside the Sunflower and the grappling hooks go over as soon as she overhauls her by half a length. The enemy gunner and his crew are hard at work trying to bring the starboard gun round to bear on the schooner, so Roger yells "Boarders away!" and himself looses at the gunner. The smoke obscures his vision for a moment, then clears to reveal the fallen gunner.

Now it's hand to hand and blade to blade, with Abe and Bonney looking for suitable pistol targets. A bold cutlass-wielder takes a swipe at the massive figure of Tuck but, unnerved by the fearsome giant bearing down on him, misses. Tuck's own blow goes wild and almost severs the main halyard by mistake. Bonney's pistol cracks and one of the Sunflower's crew falls. Abe spies someone who looks especially well-dressed and fells him with a pinpoint shot.

Yelling and roaring bloodthirstily, Roger leads a charge, his sabre flashing in the midday sunlight, and now the Sunflowers are crying for quarter. But something catches Sean's eye - the undersized crewmember he felled a few minutes ago. A bandana has fallen away to reveal long hair that is innocent of the tarry pigtail that many sailors affect, and the mass of hair frames a face too delicately-boned even for a boy. He cries hoarsely for Doctor Bonney, for it's held by all that never did a gentleman of fortune kill a woman and see a good day after...
    I rush over to the prone woman and attempt to patch her up with the supplies I brought on my person, while keeping an eye out for anyone breaking off to attack me.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Then it's time to put these fists to use. Unconscious but alive, that's what we're doing.
    Good idea - but leave a couple awake for ... [scary music ON] questioning! :twisted:

If we are in complete control (with some of our crew on guard), Roger demands to know where 'a small chest of Moroccan make, a little smaller than a ship's holystone' is. Refusal to co-operate will lead to reprisals.
    He also gets his lads to start searching the captives and putting all the loot in a bag for later distribution.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Seeing that the girl he felled is being attended to, Sean draws a long bladed knife and goes to see that the Sunflower's guns are secured.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If the fighting's done, and it seems like we're in full control, ABE would like to explore the Sunflower just to see what makes it tick, and if there's anything useful he can salvage for his OWN ship (he will demand to the nameless ones that we take the ammo at least from the Sunflower at the very least. We could always use supplies. Also, he'll go look over the person he felled and see who/what they are.... And if they have any jewelery, he will confiscate it... After all, his sisters could always use a few extra shiny things here and there- but he'll only take from the one's he's killed himself.

Otherwise, he's off to explore the Sunflower, and see 'er insides!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The Sunflower is secured and her remaining crew rendered incapable of interference. Pickings are thin. The crewmembers you interrogate agree without conferring that they know of the chest you are talking about, but not where the Captain hid it. The Captain himself is unable to help with your enquiries what with you not having a 5th-level cleric along to cast Speak With Dead but someone opines "Tess might know - she stood pretty high with the Cap'n".

Meanwhile Dr Bonney has a quick look at his patient, determines she can be moved without making matters that much worse, and snaps at a couple of deckhands to bring her over to the Cormorant. She has a ball lodged in her a little below the left shoulder, maybe a mite of lung damage but nothing more vital touched. Once she is safely aboard the Doctor shoos everyone out and, knowing his uncertain temper when he is working, no-one argues. He goes to work with probe and forceps, the patient mercifully unconscious throughout or at any rate not lucid when she does stir. For a surgeon of the calibre of the man who saved "Almost Blind" Ezekiel's life and sight this is routine work and he soon has the ball out and the wound cleaned and dressed.

As he laconically reports to "Razor", "when I get to them in time they generally live".
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Also, he'll go look over the person he felled and see who/what they are.... And if they have any jewelery, he will confiscate it... After all, his sisters could always use a few extra shiny things here and there- but he'll only take from the one's he's killed himself.
    Captain Roger tells Bones that 'each man taking what he wants' is a recipe for disaster.
    What if two of us claim we killed the same Pirate?
    What if one of us kills the Captain and he's the only one with treasure?
    What's going to happen next time - everyone aims at the opposing Captain and nobody at the Gunner?

We put all the stuff we find together and (after buying supplies for the Cormorant), we share it all equally.
    Do you agree?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The Sunflower is secured and her remaining crew rendered incapable of interference. Pickings are thin. The crewmembers you interrogate agree without conferring that they know of the chest you are talking about, but not where the Captain hid it. The Captain himself is unable to help with your enquiries what with you not having a 5th-level cleric along to cast Speak With Dead but someone opines "Tess might know - she stood pretty high with the Cap'n".

Meanwhile Dr Bonney has a quick look at his patient, determines she can be moved without making matters that much worse, and snaps at a couple of deckhands to bring her over to the Cormorant. She has a ball lodged in her a little below the left shoulder, maybe a mite of lung damage but nothing more vital touched. Once she is safely aboard the Doctor shoos everyone out and, knowing his uncertain temper when he is working, no-one argues. He goes to work with probe and forceps, the patient mercifully unconscious throughout or at any rate not lucid when she does stir. For a surgeon of the calibre of the man who saved "Almost Blind" Ezekiel's life and sight this is routine work and he soon has the ball out and the wound cleaned and dressed.

As he laconically reports to "Razor", "when I get to them in time they generally live".
    Roger congratulates the Doctor for three reasons:

- it's good to have a competent surgeon in case we get hit
    - assuming this is 'Tess' (and presumably there are no other females on board), she may know where the chest is
    - 'Tess' is female

Assuming that searching the Sunflower fails to find the chest ... Roger asks the Doctor when he can talk to Tess.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Where can we get a cleric?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm guessing this is DM humour and D+D spells don't exist in this game

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sean ducks below and starts to search the ship.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"Arrrr... I suppose Capit'tain" says a gloomy Almost Blind Ezekiel, pouting....

"'Tis only fair. But I call dibs on any model ships!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tess wakes up in an unfamiliar cabin and, coughing, makes a tentative effort to sit up.
    Wow, WhyNot, you're brilliant! Especially on Thursdays!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Spot on :mrgreen:
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Spot on :mrgreen:
    Dang.

Hey, wouldn't it be cool to combine magic and pirates?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"Arrrr... I suppose Capit'tain" says a gloomy Almost Blind Ezekiel, pouting....

"'Tis only fair. But I call dibs on any model ships!"
    Captain Roger calmly thanks ABE ... and quietly slides his sabre back into its scabbard*

*rather like Aragorn does in the film on the slopes of Caradhras when Boromir gets close to the Ring...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Dang.

Hey, wouldn't it be cool to combine magic and pirates?
    Yes it would.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Kat
    Tess wakes up in an unfamiliar cabin and, coughing, makes a tentative effort to sit up.
    "Gangway!"

Captain Roger rushes to her side and reassures her she is in safe hands.
    After all she combines his two favourite things (treasure location and being female)...

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tess coughs again and hacks up a bit of pink foam, which ends up on Captain Roger's shirt. She murmurs something in French, part of which Roger makes out as "le capitaine" as well as the name "James".

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Kat
    Tess coughs again and hacks up a bit of pink foam, which ends up on Captain Roger's shirt. She murmurs something in French, part of which Roger makes out as "le capitaine" as well as the name "James".
    Captain Roger (as has clearly been established) does not speak Frog.
    He is not worried about another stain on his shirt (it can join the slop and bloodstains already there :shock: ).

Using his animal cunning, he murmurs "It is I. Where did I put the chest, darling?"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tess lets out a long string of French, in a tone that probably makes Roger happy that he doesn't understand it, then reaches out and shoves him as hard as she can (not very hard, since she's injured). She coughs one more time and then, in halting English, adds, "Wounded..........not...stupid. Where...am I? Where....is.....James?" She crosses her arms and glares at him.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Roger reflects that his natural urbane charm doesn't seem to have worked in this case.

He ponders a lovey-dovey approach like 'I'm so sorry to tell you that James is dead, but we have rescued you ... blah, blah, blah'', but decides that he is a Pirate Captain.

He tells the woman "If James was the Captain of the Sunflower, then he's dead. These things happen.
    Now I am Captain Roger and you are my prisoner. If you want to help me by telling me where the stolen chest is, then you will receive excellent treatment. if not ... you won't."

He looks menacing.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tess takes a moment to ponder if she wants to act upset that James is dead, but decides against it. She takes another moment to consider if she wants to help Captain Roger. Since they patched her up instead of just letting her die, she's willing to play the odds that he's telling the truth and she can get something out of it if she cooperates.

She nods. "La cachette.....look for...un panneau...a panel...above le capitaine's bunk." She coughs. "Il est probablement là"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Even Roger can translate that!

He tells Bones "Keep an eye on her. If she's telling the truth, we'll make a deal with her."

He smiles at Tess, then tells Sean to come with him to the Captain's cabin on the Sunflower. He explains about 'ze secret panel above ze bunk' and stands back to admire Sean's burglary skills.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

While this conversation is going on, I run back to my room, gather some more supplies, and go back to Tess to work on her some more.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Given that much of a hint, Sean has no difficulty - he has heard of such things before and after a little poking and prodding he gets the hidden panel to slide. You appear to have been correctly informed. There is a small wooden chest here of about the right size, shape and composition. In lieu of a keyhole it bears a curiously ornate emblem, possibly reddish brass and possibly even gold. At any rate, if it is brass then it is very good condition, unharmed by the sea air.

Doctor Bonney finds Kat conscious although weak and pallid.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tess is laying quietly with her eyes closed, but opens them when Doctor Bonney returns. "You are le docteur?" She touches her aching shoulder. "Merci beaucoup."

+ Reply to thread