+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pirates! The Arr-P-G (Setup and control thread)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Pirates! The Arr-P-G (Setup and control thread)

Hi, all. Not wishing to tread on glee's toes, but I have been having some thoughts about a roleplaying campaign and there seems to be enough interest that one game alone won't be enough... and besides, having spent the time thinking it over, it seems a shame to waste it. Here goes:
    Characters are defined in terms of six ability scores:

Physique - How strong and muscley the character is
    Intellect - A measure of smartness and reasoning power
    Reflexes - Reaction speed, steadiness of hand, and aim
    Agility - Celerity at getting out of harm's way, ability to swing on chandeliers, etc
    Toughness - Ability to withstand one form or another of physical punishment
    Endurance - Stamina, a measure of how long the character can keep going before dropping from exhaustion.

A character's rating in any of these attributes is measured on the following scale:

Poor
    Indifferent
    Reasonable
    Adept
    Tremendous
    Exemplary
    Superhuman

and the various challenges that may be met during the course of the game will be dealt with by matching the relevant attribute to the difficulty rating of the challenge and the GM secretly resolving the match-up with a die-roll. For instance, lifting some heavy object would be a simple Physique check versus the object's weight.

Every character begins with an Indifferent rating in all attributes, except for one which may be Reasonable and one which may be Adept.

Common skills are handled just as a function of the relevant ability score - for instance, Brawling and Blade Combat are Physique-based skills, Pistollery or Musketry are Reflex-based, and so on. You might get a bonus for a particularly suitable tool (a well-made pistol, for instance). Anyone can use a Common skill without having to include it in a character profile. Exotic skills are another matter. Any pirate (and most civilians) will have a working knowledge of how to put powder in a pistol, aim it and press the trigger. Gunnery - meaning ordnance - is by no means common knowledge. I'll include some of the more important Exotic skills here, and we may wish to discuss which others should be included.

Burglary (Agility)
    Bargaining (Intellect)
    Carpentry (Reflexes) (for making repairs and so on)
    Fencing (Agility) - alternative to Blade for the Agility-based character
    Foreign language (Intellect) (languages in the campaign include English, French, Spanish, "African" and "Indian". You may choose any of these as a native tongue but you may have trouble understanding and being understood by your crew-mates unless you all choose the same native tongue - the default is English)
    Gunnery (Reflexes) (also allows "creative" use of gunpowder, general knowledge of ordnance)
    Literacy (Intellect) - most rank and file pirates cannot read or write!
    Medicine (Intellect)
    Navigation (Intellect) (to find a destination using map, compass and sextant; anyone can follow a coastline)
    Shiphandling (Intellect) (to manage the ship in a crisis, make landfall etc; anyone can take a turn at the wheel and follow a course)
    Victualling (Intellect)

You will probably not get very far in the game unless you have a Navigator, a Shiphandler and a Victualler - the advisability of the other skills should be self-evident.

Everyone may begin with two Exotic skills, one of which is your "tag" skill and is at one level higher than the relevant attribute. So if you want to begin play as a really good gunner, you could make Reflexes your "Adept" attribute and Gunnery your "tag" skill, making you a Tremendous gunner. If you wish to begin with a third Exotic skill, you may reduce one of your attributes one place to compensate - the only way in which you will begin with a Poor attribute.

Most Exotic skills that require equipment assume that your character comes with the necessary equipment to practise the skill, although Gunnery is one obvious exception (acquiring great guns and ammunition will be one of the challenges you will face) and Shiphandling is another (similar comment).

Any takers, suggestions, etc?
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Pirates! The Arr-P-G (Setup and control thread)

So would I put myself down as Agile and Intellectually based? Or would I actually have to pick the specific skills to be tremendous and adept at?
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm interested. Would the one-post-a-day scheme of glee's game be enough here as well?

I'd like to play either an educated guy (Literacy and Foreign languages I'm seeing as the skills) or the big black guy who'd be played by Michael Clarke Duncan in the movie.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm thinking of leaning towards Reflexes and Agility, or Reflexes and Intellect myself....

I'm picturing someone who takes care of the Ship or can drive it, either way- is it wrong I'm thinking more along the lines of which Pirate I want to be from Firefly more than I am from real world pirates? Someone need someone to fix the ship?
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by RoOsh
    So would I put myself down as Agile and Intellectually based? Or would I actually have to pick the specific skills to be tremendous and adept at?
    Pick your two favourite ability scores - they cover all common skills based on those scores. Then pick two exotic skills, ideally ones based on your best ability score (tho' not necessarily).

One post a day ought to be enough.

Assuming we get enough support here, you should start to think of yourselves in terms of the key personnel in a pirate crew - even a small ship needs someone to get it from place to place, someone to keep it from sinking, someone to keep the crew provisioned, and maybe someone to shoot at hostile ships. (anyone can help to crew a gun, but you need a Gunner to direct operations - there are many amusing ways to do more harm than good with a cannon.)
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra
    someone to keep the crew provisioned
    You rang? I'll be the big black ship's cook. Not very good at cooking (I'm not seeing Intellect as a key score for my character) but since I can smash the face of anyone who complains, it all works out in the end. I'm thinking Adept Physique, Reasonable Toughness and Victualling and Foreign languages (with my own native language being "African") as exotic skills. Is not having exotic skills in your good ability scores a big drawback?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Harlequin
    someone to keep the crew provisioned
    You rang? I'll be the big black ship's cook. Not very good at cooking (I'm not seeing Intellect as a key score for my character) but since I can smash the face of anyone who complains, it all works out in the end. I'm thinking Adept Physique, Reasonable Toughness and Victualling and Foreign languages (with my own native language being "African") as exotic skills. Is not having exotic skills in your good ability scores a big drawback?
    Not necessarily. Having the Exotic skill in the first place means you can do something no-one can do without the skill, and meanwhile you have your attribute scores where you figure you'll get the most use out of them.

Some Exotics probably need munchkinning more than others, but the two you've chosen shouldn't be critical so far as that goes, and meanwhile being strong and tough will probably pay off slightly more often than good English grammar or fancy cookery would. At least you know enough to see that the crew don't starve halfway across the Atlantic.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Alright, I think I'll put myself down as the Pilot!
    So my Exotic Skills will be Carpentry and Shiphandling.

With my Special Skills as Reasonable Intellect and Adept Reflexes with maybe a 3rd Exotic Skill of Gunnery, with the Minus into either Toughness or Physique.....

Which would be better to take the hit on? Would I need the decent Physique with my knowledge of Carpentry (a Reflex Skill) or would I need the Toughness to hang with the others in a fight while piloting the ship?
    Oh and I know English as my Native Tongue (though I'm curious about "indian"... Native America, or The Subcontinent? If it's the Subcontinent, I'd really like to take an interest in that one.... Be fun to learn that language- maybe the Cook can teach me!).

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

With my Special Skills as Reasonable Intellect and Adept Reflexes with maybe a 3rd Exotic Skill of Gunnery, with the Minus into either Toughness or Physique.....
    I totally missed that you could reduce an ability to get a third skill. I'll have to look into that.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I think we're going to need more than a Cook and Pilot though.

Like perhaps someone to lead us? And someone to Fight/Protect us?
    <_<

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ooh! Can I get in on this one?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

We need someone to help negotiate in towns and stuff. I'll do that.

Preferred categories of Intellect and Toughness.
    Exotic skills in Medicine (tag) and Literacy, with an extra in Foreign Langauge--Spanish (taking the hit in Physique).

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Are we going to be the nerdiest Pirate crew around with all the skills in Intellectual abilities and less in physique?
    Heh... where's a good ass kicker when you need one?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Are we going to be the nerdiest Pirate crew around with all the skills in Intellectual abilities and less in physique?
    If we don't get another player, I'll switch over to asskicker, but I think we have room for a few more...

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, we should get a few of the Reserves from Glee's game hopefully

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Hey. I may not have the skills, but I do have the muscles. Show me an ass and I'll kick it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll be a Dashing Swordsman!

I think I'll go with adept Agility, and reasonable physique. I'll take exotic skills in Fencing and Burglary, though those can be changed if the party thinks it's best.

I want to be a Spanish speaker, with English as a foreign language, cause that would get all the Governor's daughters, but I'm not sure what I would take the hit in, so I think I'll be an English speaker.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

So that's Darth Sensitive, RoOsh, pedescribe and Harlequin so far. Just to answer a couple of questions: "Indian" refers to the native Central and South American languages, not the Subcontinent - the setting will the the West Indies and Spanish Main for the most part. Like "African" it represents a mixture of tribal languages and the ability to make yourself understood with reasonable facility - the ability to be really good in one and none of the others might not be very useful in the long run.

Carpenters don't have to be strong - they can get other people to do the heavy lifting under their direction, it's the know-how that's the valuable skill on shipboard. Admittedly an emergency might arise where you needed the know-how and the muscles on the spot at the same time, but that's one of the trade-offs you make.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I shouldn't really ... but I can't resist.

Put me down for this (I've watched Pirates of the Caribbean and read the Hornblower books 8-) ).

I'll have a look at the options and what others have chosen, but there will be a short delay (as I'm starting my own game ops: ).
    I am happy either to work it out for myself, or (if the DM sees fit) to play a character that covers stuff the other players don't.
    My motto is "Never apologise, never explain."

Sorry, I should say that I got that from Colin Hoult...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The ship seems to need a Navigator - we already have a sailing master (someone to do the shiphandling and repairs), a doctor, a burglar and a cook. Either you, RoOsh or someone else needs to volunteer for gunnery duties if you have any ambitions in that direction.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll switch out my Foreign Language for Navigation.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Do you need a Captain? 8-)
    (Or does Shiphandling cover that?)

So far I see the original list being covered as follows:

Burglary - Darth
    Bargaining ?
    Carpentry - RoOsh
    Fencing - Darth
    Foreign language ?
    Gunnery - RoOsh
    Literacy - pedescribe
    Medicine - pedescribe
    Navigation - pedescribe
    Shiphandling - RoOsh
    Victualling - Harlequin

So how about I take 3 Exotic skills: Agility (for Fencing and swinging on chandeliers!), Intellect (for Bargaining and to help captaincy) and Reflexes (for Gunnery).
    I would take the penalty in Physique.
    Depending on what the crew need, I can pick my 'tag' skill (Fencing is fun, but Bargaining may be more useful)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Anyone could be the captain - there is a famous literary example of a sea-cook who was also a pirate Captain; it's just a question of who the crew consider the most competent, and by the Pirate Code he can be deposed by duly constituted council (the Black Spot). Similarly, there's no particular reason why the sailing master would be the captain - in the wooden navy the Master was a warrant officer ranking below the lieutenants, never mind the captain, and was no more the commander of the ship than the Engineering Officer is of the Enterprise.

There is already a fencer in the ship's company, there is no reason why there cannot be more than one of course.

I hope you will be thinking of some suitable character names, obviously. You could look here for inspiration.

ETA: There is no burning need for more than one Gunner - he will direct the ship's entire complement of heavy guns as well as possibly laying the gun personally for some especially important shooting.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Can I pilot the ship AND fire the guns at the same time?
    I figured I'd mostly be the guy actually at the helm driving the ship, but as for a Captain, I'd prefer to take the orders rather than lead.
    I believe the shiphandling is my best skill (Tremendous) as is Gunnary (so I can do both), but I'll take the hit on Physique.

So yeah, Pilot Roosh right here reporting for duty!

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yarrr... the Name Generator has deemed Roosh to become Almost-Blind Ezekiel! The Perfect name for your pilot- they'll never see me coming! (roosh yielded Scowling Darius Bones, but I like the almost blind adjective better).

Maybe Almost Blind Ezekiel Bones! Yarrr, there's a fine name if ever there be one!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by glee
    Foreign language ?
    I speak African at least.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Foreign language ?
    I speak African at least.
    Which, in practice, will allow you to converse with most Black slaves in the campaign, whatever language their masters speak (and possibly without being overheard), as well as any free Blacks you meet. (It's no crime to be free and Black around these parts. It's also no crime to keep slaves as long as you can get away with it.) I'm assuming you yourself joined a ship out of Africa of your own free will, which also happens often enough that no-one thinks it exceptional.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's also no crime to keep slaves as long as you can get away with it.) I'm assuming you yourself joined a ship out of Africa of your own free will, which also happens often enough that no-one thinks it exceptional.
    I'm not sure yet. What year is it?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default My character

I look forward to crew discussions over the Captain. 8-)

My name is 'Razor' Roger. I come from Portsmouth and ran away to sea for excitement.
    My nickname comes from having had some close shaves and I like Rogering :shock: .
    I'm tall, weedy and agile.
    I carry a sword, musket and pistol.
    I sometimes wear an eyepatch (but forget which eye to put it on).

Since Gunnery is covered, I'll take 3 Exotic skills:
    - 'Adept' in Agility (for my 'tag' skill Fencing, plus swinging on chandeliers!)
    - 'Reasonable' Intellect (for Bargaining and to hopefully help my captaincy chances)
    - 'Reasonable' Reflexes (for Musketry and a reserve Gunner/Carpenter).

So I am Tremendous at Fencing, Adept at Agility skills, Reasonable at Intellect and Reflex skills and Poor at Physique skills.

I think we have:

Burglary - Darth
    Bargaining -Glee
    Carpentry - RoOsh
    Fencing - Darth
    Foreign language - Harlequin (African)
    Gunnery - RoOsh
    Literacy - pedescribe
    Medicine - pedescribe
    Navigation - pedescribe
    Shiphandling - RoOsh
    Victualling - Harlequin

Presumably although English is Roger's native tongue, I can ask to speak Spanish using my Intellect?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm thinking I might have travelled around a bit so taking a second foreign language is a possibility. Of course it makes me the least munchkined character in the game, with an Indifferent Intellect score and three exotic Intellect skills, but that's how I roll.

That would make me trilingual, with African my native language and two foreign languages: English and... Spanish? French? What do you think we'll need?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That would make me trilingual, with African my native language and two foreign languages: English and... Spanish? French? What do you think we'll need?
    If I can take Spanish, it makes sense for you to take French. There were several French colonies in Africa too...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How are you going to take Spanish? You already have three exotic skills.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How are you going to take Spanish? You already have three exotic skills.
    I've asked in an earlier post if I can use my Intellect to speak Spanish.
    If we are limited to 2 (or 3 with a penalty) Exotic skills, then there's still the chance I can pick it up later.
    But it sounds good having a linguist with us, so feel free to go ahead.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As I understand it each foreign language is an exotic skill. I'm leaning towards English and Spanish then; I think Spanish will be more useful than French.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

According to this quiz, my pirate name is Iron Roger Bonney. Since I'm a doctor, I'm changing that to Dr. Iron Bonney, which seems more than appropriate.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Since I'm going to have an African name that none of you scurvy sea dogs can pronounce, I hereby request suggestions for my nickname. It would have been you guys who thought it up, anyway.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As I understand it each foreign language is an exotic skill. I'm leaning towards English and Spanish then; I think Spanish will be more useful than French.
    Agreed.

As for a nickname, how about:

Gordon 'Bennet' Ramsay
    Chief Chef
    Stirrer
    Fryer Tuck

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by pedescribe
    According to this quiz, my pirate name is Iron Roger Bonney. Since I'm a doctor, I'm changing that to Dr. Iron Bonney, which seems more than appropriate.
    Best not to have too many Rogers!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As for a nickname, how about:

Gordon 'Bennet' Ramsay
    Chief Chef
    Stirrer
    Fryer Tuck
    I don't think pirates would be that witty... I'd stick with "Chef" if it weren't so, like, totally South Park.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, just go with 'Chef'.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I may go with "Tuck", actually, without the pun. It's short and sweet and sounds like it might be short for an African name that Whitey can't remember.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It's also no crime to keep slaves as long as you can get away with it.) I'm assuming you yourself joined a ship out of Africa of your own free will, which also happens often enough that no-one thinks it exceptional.
    I'm not sure yet. What year is it?
    17xx - I'm not intending to pin us down to historical accuracy very much closer than that. :mrgreen:
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: My character

I look forward to crew discussions over the Captain. 8-)

My name is 'Razor' Roger. I come from Portsmouth and ran away to sea for excitement.
    My nickname comes from having had some close shaves and I like Rogering :shock: .
    I sometimes wear an eyepatch (but forget which eye to put it on).

Since Gunnery is covered, I'll take 3 Exotic skills:
    - 'Adept' in Agility (for my 'tag' skill Fencing, plus swinging on chandeliers!)
    - 'Reasonable' Intellect (for Bargaining and to hopefully help my captaincy chances)
    - 'Reasonable' Reflexes (for Musketry and a reserve Gunner/Carpenter).

So I am Tremendous at Fencing, Adept at Agility skills, Reasonable at Intellect and Reflex skills and Poor at Physique skills.
    <snippage>

Presumably although English is Roger's native tongue, I can ask to speak Spanish using my Intellect?
    Couple of things to clear up - you can only take two of your P-I-R-A-T-E attributes above Indifferent; the Exotic skills are those listed above (Burglary thru Victualling) plus any similar ones we might dream up. If you want to be able to speak Spanish you must take it as an exotic. If you want to be worth anything as a Gunner or a Carpenter you must take it ditto. Musketry however is a common skill and you don't have to take it as a named skill counting against your allowance - you might, however, some day manage to get your hands on an exceptional quality musket that would be worth +1 Musketry (so your Reflex score would count as one higher when using that musket).

There's nothing wrong with wearing an eyepatch over a sound eye - it's a well-known means of improving your night vision in that eye.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm thinking I might have travelled around a bit so taking a second foreign language is a possibility. Of course it makes me the least munchkined character in the game, with an Indifferent Intellect score and three exotic Intellect skills, but that's how I roll.

Which P-I-R-A-T-E attribute will you lower to take the third exotic?
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Which P-I-R-A-T-E attribute will you lower to take the third exotic?
    A process of elimination has led me to pick Agility. Physique or Toughness are my increased attributes, all my skills are Intellect, and the big guy can't have bad Endurance. It wouldn't be cricket. So it's either Agility or Reflexes and while I'm OK with not being able to swing on chandeliers, I'm less OK with being slow, so Agility it is.

Can I have a pet snake?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: My character

Couple of things to clear up - you can only take two of your P-I-R-A-T-E attributes above Indifferent; the Exotic skills are those listed above (Burglary thru Victualling) plus any similar ones we might dream up. If you want to be able to speak Spanish you must take it as an exotic. If you want to be worth anything as a Gunner or a Carpenter you must take it ditto. Musketry however is a common skill and you don't have to take it as a named skill counting against your allowance - you might, however, some day manage to get your hands on an exceptional quality musket that would be worth +1 Musketry (so your Reflex score would count as one higher when using that musket).

There's nothing wrong with wearing an eyepatch over a sound eye - it's a well-known means of improving your night vision in that eye.
    Ah, right, now I get it.
    So if I choose 3 Exotic skills, the effect on my abilities is that I get one adept, one reasonable, one poor and the rest indifferent.
    Also Common skills are tied to the associated ability, but no Exotic stuff is involved.

Is this updated Pirate OK?

My nickname comes from having had some close shaves and I like Rogering.
    I sometimes wear an eyepatch ... but forget which eye to put it on. It's not for night vision - it's just to make me look 'ard.

I'll make Agility my Adept ability and Intellect my Reasonable one.
    Then I'll take 2 Exotic skills:
    - Fencing for my 'tag' skill
    - Bargaining for my other one.

So I am Tremendous at Fencing, Adept at common Agility skills, Reasonable at Bargaining and common Intellect skills and Indifferent at all other common skills.

P.S. I have only just noticed that the initial letters of the ability scores spell ...
    [spoiler:25ab6w8o]Pirate![/spoiler:25ab6w8o]

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

So...is five enough, or are we waiting for more?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'd like Darth Sensitive to check back in with a character name - otherwise we're about ready to roll. I'll spreadsheet the various characters and post a link for everyone's convenience (including mine).

OK on the pet snake, Tuck.

If anyone else wants to join in, fine, but you can always have some unnamed extras to make up numbers.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If anyone else wants to join in, fine, but you can always have some unnamed extras to make up numbers.
    We'd need mooks anyway, wouldn't we? I'm not a leading international expert on 18th century sailing ships, but I imagine you need more than six people to operate one of any significant size, not to mention to attack other ships.

So, this is me:

Physique - Adept
    Intellect - Indifferent
    Reflexes - Indifferent
    Agility - Poor
    Toughness - Reasonable
    Endurance - Indifferent

Native language: African

Exotic Skills:
    Victualling - "tag"
    Foreign language - English
    Foreign language - Spanish

A 6'7" man with glistening ebony skin wrapped tight over his bulging muscles, Tuck was born on the Gold Coast and left at a young age on a trading ship, hoping to see the world. As the cook's apprentice he grew to manhood, learning to speak the tongues of the white men and seeing most of the Spanish Main. Unfortunately the ship fell on hard times and the white crewmembers secretly decided to sell off the black crewmembers as slaves. They had figured without the large man working away in the galley. When the time came he broke the captain's musket over his head and led a wild fight that left the ship crippled and the crew decimated.

Only six crewmembers survived to become shipwrecked on a tiny island off the coast of Jamaica, and two years later only Tuck remained, having managed to endure exposure and looming starvation while keeping insanity at bay by acquiring a pet snake he named Saturday. At this point a passing pirate ship made port at the island hoping to replenish supplies, but instead found Tuck whose menacing size impressed him enough that they offered him a spot in the crew.

Although Tuck prefers fighting with his fists if possible, he carries a cutlass and the largest musket he can find and keep in operating condition. Knowing his appearance is frightening to both friends and foes he wears as little clothes as possible, showing off his statuesque upper body, and keeps his head clean shaven. When feeling mean he unnerves his fellow crewmembers by carrying Saturday wrapped around his chest and arms and smilingly assuring them that the creature only bites when commanded.

How's that?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ooh, yeah, I forgot about my backstory.

Dr. Iron Bonnie had a rough childhood. Born Ronald Bonnet Ramsey, his mother died in childbirth, and he and his father was forced to work in the coal mines in order to have enough money to survive. He now speculates that this time may have permanently stunted his height and muscle growth, but there is no direct link. Anyway, it definitely hurt his father, who died from Black Lung when Ron was only five. Ron, who then had no way of supporting himself, took the little money and food that was left and lived on the lam, stealing what he could and just...surviving.

His luck changed one night, when he was stealing from a particularly wealthy house two years later. He had eyed this one up for its large collection of books, the only things keeping him interested in living. By sheer coincidence, the house was already being robbed by a group of pirates. After a brief confrontation, the pirates learned of his life, and brought him aboard, hoping he would grow into an expert thief or some such. He did grow to enjoy the pirate life. But he didn't seem to take to any particularly piratey skills, except navigation, and the ship already had an excellent navigator. The newer crew wanted to throw the "waste of resources" off the boat as soon as possible. His only ally was the captain, who had seen him that first night, and saw that spark of brilliance inside him.

Bonnie (that was his nickname at the time) was saved by a particularly crafty Admiral in the British Navy. This Admiral had banked on the illiteracy of most pirate crews as a way to get them to confess to acts suspected of them. He had disguised himself as a local merchant, offering to cut a deal promising 50% of his profits in exchange for a protector. His 'contract', of course, was a confessional. Fortunately, Bonnie was on board. He read the contract, and immediately deduced the true identity of the Admiral. The pirates took the Admiral hostage and got a large sum for him.

At this point, Bonnie's memory starts to run together. He ran away from those pirates at some point, after a particularly fierce beating for being 'girly'. He had stolen books on herbalism and medicine and improved his craft in that. He switched from crew to crew, for a doctor is in high demand among pirates, but Dr. Bonnie's general uselessness in a fight earned him a lot of beatings, some from the enemy, some from his shipmates. Eventually, he found a young man named Almost Blind Ezekiel Bones, who shared his above average intellect and love of piracy. He had been working for some time on a ship on a ship of his on, [Insert Ship Name Here], and it was almost finished. He just needed a course. Iron Bonnie could provide that.

Now, Dr. Iron Bonnie is a valued member of the [Insert Pirate Crew Name Here] and is able to research the best targets, allowing the [Insert Pirate Crew Name Here] to get a jump on the best treasure. He has also kept his crewmates alive and well over the years, something they all appreciate. He is short, thin, and unimposing, but unusually tough due to the large number of beatings he has received. His prize possessions are a large tan trench coat which can make him look frightening, and a collection of books large enough to rival many large mansions.

Physique - Poor
    Intellect - Adept
    Reflexes - Indifferent
    Agility - Indifferent
    Toughness - Reasonable
    Endurance - Indifferent

Exotic Skills:
    Literacy--Adept
    Medicine (tag)--Tremendous
    Navigation--Adept

Native Language--English

+ Reply to thread