+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: American words not understood outside the US

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: American words not understood outside the US

With the amount of US-produced TV and movies shown in the English-speaking world, I'd be surprised if there were many Americanisms which would not be understood. Sure, there would be regional words or expressions, but they would likely not be understood by the majority of Americans, let alone the rest of the world.

To use an example from this thread, way before I ever visited the States I knew that a Drug Store was what I would call a Chemist. I've been to the US many times and I don't recall ever having a problem understanding anything. The closest thing would be mundane stuff unlikely to have come up in movies or TV shows. For example, I still don't know whether "half-and-half" milk is what we in Australia would call "full cream" milk, but that's about the extent of my misunderstanding of American words.

The opposite of course is much more problematic. I have to be very careful what I say in the US, otherwise if I accidentally use Australian expressions or words I will frequently not get my message across.

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Nice name, by the way, Lord Mondegreen.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by BiblioCat
    Quote Originally posted by tunaman
    That's why I said it's a "mostly Southern" thing. Before today, I'd never heard it outside the South, but now I find it's apparently common in the UK and Australia.
    Yes, I saw that, and I'm in Maryland, which some people consider southern, I guess because we're below the Mason-Dixon line. There were a couple of threads on the SD that got rather heated over whether or not Maryland was a Southern state, but I'm not opening that can of worms again.
    Ah, the 'Mason-Dixon' line.
    Presumably something to do with the Civil War (it means nowt to us Brits, although I've heard it in a song).
    My motto is "Never apologise, never explain."

Sorry, I should say that I got that from Colin Hoult...

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Griddle
    Broiling
    Skillet
    Winnebago
    Zucchini
    Astroturfing
    Rutabaga
    Government Cheese
    Bellwether
    Duplex
    Biscuits
    Cupcake

These are all American terms that I had to look up or ask about at one time or another. I'm sure there are plenty of others. As others have posted above though, in context one can guess what they mean. Until recently though I thought a cupcake was what I would call a muffin. It's actually just what would be called a bun here, maybe a fairycake. The best description I can give for an American biscuit is a savoury scone.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by glee
    That's why I said it's a "mostly Southern" thing. Before today, I'd never heard it outside the South, but now I find it's apparently common in the UK and Australia.
    Yes, I saw that, and I'm in Maryland, which some people consider southern, I guess because we're below the Mason-Dixon line. There were a couple of threads on the SD that got rather heated over whether or not Maryland was a Southern state, but I'm not opening that can of worms again.
    Presumably something to do with the Civil War (it means nowt to us Brits, although I've heard it in a song).
    Sailing To Philadelphia?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by An Gadaí
    Griddle
    Skillet
    'Spider' is a very obscure related item: http://www.journalofantiques.com/hearthjan01.htm

The thing itself is not quite obsolete...I have encountered them in a camping context. I've also heard the term used to refer to what most Americans would call a frying pan or skillet.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by glee
    Actually, the Mason-Dixon line was surveyed about one hundred years before the Civil War as part of a border dispute. It's actually much further north than many people realize, since "northern" culture has crept downwards in the intervening years, but it's still used as the symbolic line between the North and the South in the east.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Bellwether
    Really? I would not have said this was an Americanism. I have lived in North America for a while, but I am sure I knew and understood this term long before I moved here (from Australia).

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OutStandingInTheField
    Bellwether
    Really? I would not have said this was an Americanism. I have lived in North America for a while, but I am sure I knew and understood this term long before I moved here (from Australia).
    Yes, it's just a personal list. I've only ever seen it used in the context of US states and elections.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Brit whos visited the U.S. alot but still gets surprises.

Dont think anyone answered this one,but if they have you have no excuse now to forget it but iced tea is virtually unheard of over here though I've no doubt that some people drink it.

Didn't hit the link about burble because it tends to log me out of this board,but burble is armed forces slang for verbal diahorrea,when people are sufficiently drunk they tend to burble all over you ie."Your my best mate you are,I love you man: not in a gay way I mean........etc."

I know OF but dont entirely understand Homecoming and Spring Break,I know that theres a HC queen but thats it on that topic and apparently Spring break is some sort of holiday where everyone goes somewhere by the beach,gets drunk,dances alot and trys to get laid though I suspect that theres more to it then that.
    Thirty minutes of Googling not only doesn't make you an expert in a subject,it doesn't even make you right.Real life experience and education will win out every single time

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by lust4life
    Spring break is some sort of holiday where everyone goes somewhere by the beach,gets drunk,dances alot and trys to get laid though I suspect that theres more to it then that.
    Spring Break is generally the Easter holiday week long hiatus from school, but it's no longer kosher to call anything by it's religious reasoning, so the term Spring Break overtook Easter Break.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I know OF but dont entirely understand Homecoming and Spring Break,I know that theres a HC queen but thats it on that topic ...
    I've lived in the US my whole life and that's about all I know about it too...I've never been to one.

...and apparently Spring break is some sort of holiday where everyone goes somewhere by the beach,gets drunk,dances alot and trys to get laid though I suspect that theres more to it then that.
    No, that's pretty much it. There wasn't so much dancing when I went (at least not for us guys) but the rest is a pretty good description.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    Spring break is some sort of holiday where everyone goes somewhere by the beach,gets drunk,dances alot and trys to get laid though I suspect that theres more to it then that.
    Spring Break is generally the Easter holiday week long hiatus from school, but it's no longer kosher to call anything by it's religious reasoning, so the term Spring Break overtook Easter Break.
    I'm glad you said generally. I have two stepsons in college (one at community college, the other at a university). One had his spring break the first week in March, the other the fourth week in March. Neither was at all close to Easter, so PCness wasn't involved in the name. In the first case, if anything is a euphemism/misnomer it would be the word "Spring" since it certainly wasn't.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

When you "have tea" in the US, it's just that: tea. When I've been invited to have tea in the UK, it's often a complete meal. I've often thought the most puzzling question an American encounters abroad is "What's for tea?"

[American thinking] "Duh! How about, like, you know, TEA, you limey friggen twit?" [/American thinking]
    Of course, he's then ashamed and embarrased for his rude thoughts.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by prr
    [American thinking] "Duh! How about, like, you know, TEA, you limey friggen twit?" [/American thinking]
    Of course, he's then ashamed and embarrased for his rude thoughts.
    Yes, for a Brit or for an Australian, having coffee for tea would not be an oxymoron, because "tea" is both the name of a drink and the name of a meal.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I know OF but dont entirely understand Homecoming and Spring Break,I know that theres a HC queen but thats it on that topic and apparently Spring break is some sort of holiday where everyone goes somewhere by the beach,gets drunk,dances alot and trys to get laid though I suspect that theres more to it then that.
    Homecoming is generally an autumn dance/spirit week thing, associated with high school and college. It's an event where past graduates are encouraged to "come home" for a football (American) game, and then the students of the school go to a semi-formal dance afterward. There's generally a week of activities before to encourage "school spirit" which students participate in -- pep rallies, theme days where you dress on a theme, etc.

Homecoming king and queen is basically a popularity contest where the student body elects a junior or senior (11th and 12th grade) boy/girl couple. (Either seniors or juniors organize the homecoming events. In my high school, juniors were in charge of prom and seniors were in charge of homecoming, so juniors were elected prom king/queen and and seniors homecoming king/queen.) They get crowns and maybe scepters and they open the dancing. It's not really a big deal for anyone but high schoolers.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by MsPurlMcKnittington
    Homecoming is ... an event where past graduates are encouraged to "come home" for a football (American) game
    Is this actually something that happens anymore? Is it more or less prevalent in different areas? I went to high school in California, and if this was an aspect of our homecoming game, I was completely unaware of it. The description you give sounds like a throwback to a past age to me. But I could also imagine it being bigger in small towns where everybody knows everybody and people coming home to visit is a bigger deal.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Homecoming is generally an autumn dance/spirit week thing, associated with high school and college. It's an event where past graduates are encouraged to "come home" for a football (American) game, and then the students of the school go to a semi-formal dance afterward. There's generally a week of activities before to encourage "school spirit" which students participate in -- pep rallies, theme days where you dress on a theme, etc.

Homecoming king and queen is basically a popularity contest where the student body elects a junior or senior (11th and 12th grade) boy/girl couple. (Either seniors or juniors organize the homecoming events. In my high school, juniors were in charge of prom and seniors were in charge of homecoming, so juniors were elected prom king/queen and and seniors homecoming king/queen.) They get crowns and maybe scepters and they open the dancing. It's not really a big deal for anyone but high schoolers.
    Thanks for that I genuinly was very curious about what HC was and now I know what The Monkees were on about.
    Thirty minutes of Googling not only doesn't make you an expert in a subject,it doesn't even make you right.Real life experience and education will win out every single time

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by McNutty
    Homecoming is ... an event where past graduates are encouraged to "come home" for a football (American) game
    Is this actually something that happens anymore? Is it more or less prevalent in different areas? I went to high school in California, and if this was an aspect of our homecoming game, I was completely unaware of it. The description you give sounds like a throwback to a past age to me. But I could also imagine it being bigger in small towns where everybody knows everybody and people coming home to visit is a bigger deal.
    That's exactly how it was in my high school -- past graduates came to the game and everything. They generally induct people into the school hall of fame that night, too, so football players come back for that. (Gag me, but I think the entire concept of a high school football hall of fame one of the stupidest things in the whole damn world.) Admittedly, my school was really small. There were 60 kids in my graduating class. So that is probably an influence.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

(Gag me, but I think the entire concept of a high school football hall of fame one of the stupidest things in the whole damn world.)
    Come now, MsPurl, have some pity for those whose social influence, physical attractiveness, and sense of achievement and self-worth all peaked at age 17 and have been in slow, inexorable decline ever since.

Let 'em have their good ol' days.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Speaking of high school athletics, we love looking at all the stadiums in small towns when we visit the US. It blows our minds that just about every small town has a huge, well-lit stadium for baseball and//or football. Of course, US Americans coming to Canada might be surprised at every small town having an arena for curling and hockey, but they probably wouldn't recognize them for what they are because they are very nondescript buildings.

I put the DU in DUMBO. Dangerously Unqualified's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

So looking back over the thread at the parts about biscuts and gravy (and being hungry due to it being lunch time and my lunch consists of a large glass of reconstituted dihydrogen monoxide) I have to wonder:

If I went into a typical UK or EU kitchen,
    Dumped some pork sausage into a pot (yes, chorizo will work just fine, it will taste a little different is all) and let it get brown and crumbly.
    Toss a hand full of flour in there with the sausage and the grease and let it get a little bubbly,
    Slowly start pouring fresh milk into the whole concoction until it was a smooth, creamy, salty, meaty substance,
    Then dumped it over a biscut, or unsweetened scone, or baked lump of flour, shortning, oil and baking soda,
    Would it be recognized as food right away or would I get hauled off for eating such a mess?

For bonus points, what if I added a lightly fried egg (over easy) and some hash browns (fried, shredded potatos) to the mix?

And some nice hot coffee...

Couple of pieces of toast and butter...

Some crispy bacon...

Dammit, I told you I was hungry.

ETA: Not the Canadians though, I've seen what you can do to a plate of fries, cheese and gravy, my arteries think you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, there's the (mostly Southern) use of "[day] week" to mean "not the upcoming day, but the week after that".

For example, if I made an appointment for our cat at the vet's office, I might tell my wife that the appointment is for "Tuesday week" (meaning 8 days from now) instead of "next Tuesday" or "the following Tuesday" or "not tomorrow, but the next Tuesday".

It seems that this usage is unknown outside the US.
    It must be a southeast saying. I've lived in Texas for 25 years and I've never heard of this usage.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Giles
    "Thong", in the sense of rubber sandals, seems to be particularly Australian (perhaps because they are worn a lot there). The New Zealand word for these is "jandal".
    Until the 1990s or so, thongs referred to footwear around where I've lived (Oklahoma and Texas).

I actually have some sandals that are branded "Speedo", so I can frighten people by telling them I'm going to wear my Speedo thongs to the pool.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Badtz Maru
    Well, there's the (mostly Southern) use of "[day] week" to mean "not the upcoming day, but the week after that".

For example, if I made an appointment for our cat at the vet's office, I might tell my wife that the appointment is for "Tuesday week" (meaning 8 days from now) instead of "next Tuesday" or "the following Tuesday" or "not tomorrow, but the next Tuesday".

It must be a southeast saying. I've lived in Texas for 25 years and I've never heard of this usage.
    I've lived in Texas for 3 years and this usage is making my head hurt.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

XJETGIRLX

... I might tell my wife that the appointment is for "Tuesday week" (meaning 8 days from now) instead of "next Tuesday" or "the following Tuesday" or "not tomorrow, but the next Tuesday".

I was born in the Midwest, and am now in the Mid-Atlantic, and and I've never heard this usage.
    I've lived all up and down the East coast and I have never heard this usage, either.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by McNutty
    Well, homecoming actually is a big deal for colleges, since the university wants alumni to come and write checks to the athletic association or alumni fund, or what have you. People that have contributed lots of money in the past are often treated like high rollers are in Vegas - comped airfare and hotels, free meals, etc. My dad has contributed a ton of money to an Atlanta university over the years, and I've seen some of the perks he could have gotten ("donate $10 million and you can stay in the [university] president's house for Homecoming week! Donate $20 million and you can stay in the president's house for the week, *and* he'll shine your shoes every morning during your stay!!!"). Sadly, my dad never contributed 8 figures to the school, so he didn't get THAT kind of treatment!

I think some high schools just copied the "social aspects" of it (the dance, the king\queen election), while other schools might use it to recognize former players (and hit up parents\alumni for money for the booster club, etc.).

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    (Gag me, but I think the entire concept of a high school football hall of fame one of the stupidest things in the whole damn world.)
    Come now, MsPurl, have some pity for those whose social influence, physical attractiveness, and sense of achievement and self-worth all peaked at age 17 and have been in slow, inexorable decline ever since.

Let 'em have their good ol' days.
    You can't maaaaaaake me . . .

My resentment might come from the fact that while I was in high school, they cut the honors program and the band director position, while simultaneously installing new lights for the football field, new bleachers, and a new announcer's box. They didn't have any money, you see, so they had to cut academic programs.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Tuesday Week etc. is commonly used here.

Registered
    Feb 2009

<snip>
    My resentment might come from the fact that while I was in high school, they cut the honors program and the band director position, while simultaneously installing new lights for the football field, new bleachers, and a new announcer's box. They didn't have any money, you see, so they had to cut academic programs.
    That explains a lot of what we see, actually.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

To expand on the Homecoming thing a bit, in my area (US Mid-Atlantic), the high school homecoming football games were usually played against your biggest rival.

That's just sad.
    I'm not good at the advice. Can I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

To expand on the Homecoming thing a bit, in my area (US Mid-Atlantic), the high school homecoming football games were usually played against your biggest rival.
    What school did you go to where that was the case? At my high school, homecoming was always played against the worst possible team. Whichever nearby team went 1-11 the previous year was always chosen for the homecoming game the following year (since you wanted your school to win, right?)

Colleges do the same thing. In the ACC, this is why the Duke football team exists - to give everyone else in the conference a team to play during Homecoming Week!

At my high school, the football team paid for itself via the Booster Club, ticket sales, receipts from the concession stand, ads in the game programs, etc. Of course, at the time, my school usually lost no more than 2 games a year and the margin of victory was usually 30+ points in every win, so it might be different at other schools.

Also, just for the record, at most Division-I colleges, football money funds for every other sport. So the women's lacrosse team owes its existence to the football team (and, to be honest, title IX).

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"Tuesday week" is not common in Canada, but I believe it is in the UK.

A "jumper" in England is what we call a "sweater". We say "runners" or "jogging shoes" or "running shoes", in the UK they say "trainers". "High tea" is the workingman's dinner in the UK, in the US it has come to mean what teh Brits call "afternoon tea" as in swell, with cucumber sandwiches and Her Ladyship pouring. But since you can't get a cup of tea in the US, whether "high" or "afternoon", it's sorta pointless anyway.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by vison
    A "jumper" in England is what we call a "sweater".
    Something I've wondered - what's the British English term for what Americans call a jumper? It's a sleeveless dress of heavy material, usually worn over a long-sleeve shirt and common as a school uniform for girls.
    (Example here)

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Gym slip.

In Canada it was a jumper or sometimes a pinafore.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by featherlou
    <snip>
    That explains a lot of what we see, actually.
    Featherlou! You wound me, madam.

At my high school, the football team paid for itself via the Booster Club, ticket sales, receipts from the concession stand, ads in the game programs, etc. Of course, at the time, my school usually lost no more than 2 games a year and the margin of victory was usually 30+ points in every win, so it might be different at other schools.
    That certainly wasn't the case here. The boosters and ticket sales did contribute, but the school district spent tens of thousands of dollars, well in excess of what keeping the honors and band director position would have cost.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Another Southernism probably not known outside the US is "fixing to" (or the Georgian "fi'n' tah'). It means "getting ready to" or "am about to''. For example, "I'm glad you stopped by. We were just fixing to eat supper. Won't you join us?"

You probably know "Y'all" (a contraction of you all) as a plural of "you". But you might not know that "y'all" has a super-plural, namely, "All Y'all". For example, "Oh, we have plenty. We can feed all y'all."

Let's see. One more might be "mite", as in "a bit". For example, once the husband and wife are alone in the kitchen, one says to the other, "I'm a mite peeved they popped in that way."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Liberal
    But you might not know that "y'all" has a super-plural, namely, "All Y'all". For example, "Oh, we have plenty. We can feed all y'all."
    That's very neat. Double plurals are pretty rare. One in standard English is "agendas", since "agenda" is already a Latin plural meaning "things to be done". And "children" is a fossilised double plural, since it's formed by adding the plural suffix -en (as in "brethren" and "oxen") to the plural form "childer".

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Another Southernism probably not known outside the US is "fixing to" (or the Georgian "fi'n' tah'). It means "getting ready to" or "am about to''. For example, "I'm glad you stopped by. We were just fixing to eat supper. Won't you join us?"
    I've lived in the South my whole life, and I've never heard anyone pronounce the "g" at the end of "fixing". Although your "fi'n' tah" might be correct in lots of places (Valdosta, anyone?), I only regularly hear people say "fixin' to"... even people with master's degrees!

Let's see. One more might be "mite", as in "a bit". For example, once the husband and wife are alone in the kitchen, one says to the other, "I'm a mite peeved they popped in that way."
    You spell it "mite"? I've always spelled it "might". Of course, I'm the same guy that often says that he's "looked all over Hell and half of Alabama" for some misplaced item, so what do I know?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The "g" is indeed almost never pronounced.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You probably know "Y'all" (a contraction of you all) as a plural of "you". But you might not know that "y'all" has a super-plural, namely, "All Y'all". For example, "Oh, we have plenty. We can feed all y'all."

These are fairly familiar to me and might even be used theatrically hereabouts.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

I am an Englishman who spent the ages of 6 months to 11 years old in Florida. As a result, I find that my language is often peppered with idiom from both sides of the pond. What's interesting to me is that English people will usually pull me up on it, whereas Americans will nod and smile politely, hoping to get what I mean from context.

Apropos the question asked, the example that irritates me most is words used for mealtimes. To wit, an American might have the following;

- Breakfast
    - Lunch
    - Dinner/Supper

There might be grazing or snacks in between, healthy or otherwise. I don't know and it's none of my business.

An Englishman, depending on how traditional he is, or where he comes from in the country (and that is important), will have some or all of the following;

- Breakfast
    - Elevenses
    - Dinner
    - Tea
    - High Tea
    - Supper
    - Ooh, some Horlicks please, dear - it'll help me sleep.

I remain resolutely American in this. Dinner is what you have at about 7pm. What is lunch for otherwise?

I have a theory that it's because of working profiles and European influence on us Brits. But since I can't get financed by a university to investigate, we'll have to just accept it as a difference.
    Anything is possible if you use enough lubricant.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"Dinner" varies regionally within the United States. Wikipedia says that in working-class families where the largest meal of the day is served at midday, it refers to that, while in areas where people eat the largest meal at the end of the day it refers to the evening meal, but I'm not sure that's correct. When I grew up in Oklahoma, dinner always referred to the evening meal and in Texas it can mean either, and it doesn't seem class-related.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, the meaning of "dinner" varies in many countries, and often by social class. However, although it can be eaten any time from noon to around 9 pm, it's generally the main meal of the day.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I hear "finna", not "fixin'". I don't like it.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali
    I always say "fitin tu".
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I say "fixin ta". Used to drive my Dad nuts, almost as bad as "you know".

Things have come to a pretty pass,
    Our romance is growing flat,
    For you like this and the other
    While I go for this and that.
    Goodness knows what the end will be;
    Oh, I don't know where I'm at...
    It looks as if we two will never be one,
    Something must be done.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I just thought of another Southernism that might not be understood: "buggy" for "shopping cart".

XJETGIRLX

Quote Originally posted by Glazer
    Quote Originally posted by jali
    I always say "fitin tu".
    Yes, "fittin' tu" is closer to what I'm accustomed to in the Alabama/N. Fla/Georgia area.

+ Reply to thread