+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Order of the Stick - A line is crossed

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Order of the Stick - A line is crossed

Xykon is not a happy camper is he and definitely showing his evil side.

How much will Redcloak take before he decides on a new line of work?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"If I ever see you with more eyes than assholes I'm going to shove one in the other"

Great line.

An interesting turn of events for Redcloak. The last time Xykon was slaughtering hobgoblins left and right, Redcloak hadn't yet had his change of heart regarding his role as protector of all goblinkind. He may well start rebelling if ordered to start sacrificing them again.

Also, I never read Start of Darkness, but I know Redcloak's brother also lost an eye and that Red feels guilty about something he did regarding his brother. Anyone know the details? It sound like losing an eye of his own could trigger Red's betrayal.

Although looking through the Wiki page, I just came across this in the section for CitD: "Xykon afterwards takes charge of it, charming it to eat Redcloak and spit out the phylactery on the chance that Redcloak betrays him."
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes, I can spoil Start of Darkness:
    [spoiler:byxim1s3]Redcloak's brother, the rogue Right-Eye, had a plan to rid themselves of Xykon once and for all, and waited for Xykon to engage in a difficult battle in which one Sneak Attack could turn the tide one way or another. He explained his plan to Redcloak: he would sneak up behind Xykon during the battle with a positively-enchanted dagger, Sneak Attack him, and they would destroy the phylactery.

Redcloak couldn't allow Right-Eye to proceed, because if Xykon were killed, then he (Redcloak) had led hundreds of goblinoids into certain death in the name of this grand Plan to enslave the Snarl, and it would all have been for nothing. So in order that those goblins did not die in vain, he cast a Disintegrate upon Right-Eye and killed him.[/spoiler:byxim1s3]
    It's worse than that, though. Xykon was not kindly or thankful afterward. You'd have to read the section to fully appreciate how evil Xykon was about it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The joy of co-incidence. Part 663 is up.

Looks like it is time to reform the Order of the Stick.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

Roy! Roy! Roy! Roy!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well it looks like the Order of the Stick has learned a few lessons on the way and should be all the better for it.

Although I wonder what nefarious plans the evil guys have.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Casual thought here...

Hinjo has a goatee. Does that mean he's going to turn evil at some point?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by sublight
    I don't think I've ever heard a prediction less likely to come true.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Harlequin
    Quote Originally posted by sublight
    I don't think I've ever heard a prediction less likely to come true.
    Which, by Elan's rules of dramatic convention, practically guarantees it will happen!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I never heard of the Order of the Stick until recently, but now that I've started reading it, I've also studiously avoided reading this thread to avoid spoilers. (I'm only up to about 400 in the strips.)

Fun stuff. You'd think that particular brand of metafiction would get old fast, but it doesn't. There's just so much inherent absurdity in showing AD&D rules literally applied to a physical situation. Even though I haven't played in over 20 years, I remember the atmosphere around the table, the ridiculous plot developments, and the two basic types of serious player -- those who take advantage of the rules to get the most points, and those who do sincere role-playing. (I was the latter.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Huh. Well, I've read all the online strips now. Interesting how it gradually changes from funny to boring. I mean, serious. Rich Burlew just gave up on any kind of skillful exposition, didn't he? And in those tedious monologues, everybody sounds alike; it's like Heinlein's later work.

And for the love of Christ, did he ever hear of something called "proofreading"? Even spell-check would be nice, though it won't catch homophones.

On the plus side -- it's always fun when Belkar goes on a killing spree. There are some moments of really good story-telling, and the metafictional frame is still enjoyable in itself. I can understand why it gradually got more serious. Starts with one-dimensional characters that basically enact jokes, but that's at odds with the long-form narrative. In a strip that's entirely episodic (like, say, Beetle Bailey), you don't need any character development. Everything stays the same. But if you're taking a group of characters through a long, complicated story, it would be hard to maintain interest if the characters never get fleshed-out.

Also, he's done a good job of establishing separate visual identities for a fairly large cast of characters, given the primitive cartoon style. (Wasn't there a script where he stole a joke from South Park and had a police artist do a sketch of two characters, with the sketch looking like a realistic portrait of real people?)

ETA: This strip.

Well, it's back on August 31.

+ Reply to thread