+ Reply to thread

Thread: Author avatars and the opposite

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Author avatars and the opposite

How many of you write characters, big or small, that are highly reminiscent of you? I've examined my stories since reading about the whole Mary Sue thing a few years ago, and I find that I rarely do (the "perfect hero" deal I am susceptible to, but I've been working on it). The main character of my novel is almost the opposite of me in views and attitudes. One of my betareaders thought my political views in real life was the opposite of what they actually are because the hero is such a good advocate for the other side. I may have overcompensated, but I'm counting that as a success.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Author avatars and the opposite

I'm not an author, but in a sense you can only write about yourself. You know others from the outside -- only yourself from the inside. So, to the extent that you understand other people, it's only because you see in their outward behavior your own feelings.

Yes, that means that Shakespeare was Iago and Lady Macbeth and Richard III. Within us, we have multiple personalities, and we can see the worst as well as the best of ourselves in others.

+ Reply to thread