+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone watching Castle?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Anyone watching Castle?

I've given a shot the last two weeks running. Nathan Fillion's likeability is about the only thing carrying it, IMO, but that is a powerful force. It would be easier if I hadn't heard it compared in concept to Murder She Wrote, and flashbacks to Angela Lansbury are hampering my Fillion enjoyment. What's anybody else think?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Anyone watching Castle?

Hang on, let me find a link to the thread I started last week. (might as well make this a running topic since a bunch of us are watching even if many are not liking it.)

Ah, here we are

I haven't watched this weeks episode yet. I am struggling to get excited enough to want to take the little bit of TV watching time I have durring the week to sit down and watch it. Is it any better than last week was?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ah, shit. That was on last night, wasn't it?

I watched the first episode, and I liked it, but I was also making dinner while it was on, so I missed some of it while intensively mashing potatoes. I do remember being vaguely irritated that the main character's 15-year-old daughter appeared to be the caretaker in their relationship. Can we please see an adult male on television capable of taking care of himself?

As to whether it's funny/serious/thrillerific -- it would be a perfect shame to have Nathan Fillion on a show and have it be unfunny.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Aholibah
    I've given a shot the last two weeks running. Nathan Fillion's likeability is about the only thing carrying it, IMO, but that is a powerful force. It would be easier if I hadn't heard it compared in concept to Murder She Wrote, and flashbacks to Angela Lansbury are hampering my Fillion enjoyment. What's anybody else think?
    Yeah he's pretty much the best thing about that show. I'm not sure what's up with Stana Katic's character. It'd be a lot more interesting if they had the two of them really zing each other, rather than her just give him the old 'sit stay heel' thing.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'd watch Nathan Fillion stand around eating toast, so my judgment might be a bit skewed.

But I liked it. It's sort of in the Life mode of crime-stopper show. A touch of goofiness, but not going overboard.

The first episode was interesting enough, for a pilot. I have hopes that it will improve.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I fell asleep during it last night. Not a good sign.

MsPurl, last night's episode (before I fell asleep) made it clearer that he's been his daughter's primary caretaker since she was a wee thing, and is a quite capable, loving and attentive dad, which I did like a lot. She's a caretaker only in that she's the caretaker type. I think at least some of his "jokingly" encouraging her to drink and be rebellious is out of concern that she take the time to be a kid and not be so worried about doing the right thing and trying to take care of him all the time. Having been a kid like that, and having a kid like that (and I do think it's something that single parents, especially, have to watch out for) it's painfully familiar.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

WhyNot, that's seriously a big relief to me. I hate television man-children.

I also believe that Nathan Fillion could make watching someone watch paint dry entertaining.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by MsPurlMcKnittington
    WhyNot, that's seriously a big relief to me. I hate television man-children.

I also believe that Nathan Fillion could make watching someone watch paint dry entertaining.
    They definitely make it clear that he's been the one taking care of his daughter, and that he worked from home when she was a child so that he could be 'her nanny'.

If anyone's being taken care of by the daughter, it's the grandmother. She seems like she has a passing acquaintance with reality, but even then it's clear that she loves her family. I think that Castle only offered his daughter the champagne in the first episode because he saw her studying at a party and wanted to make a point, knowing full well that she wouldn't actually take it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I like him and also the show so far. It does have lots of room for improvement....
    No job is too hard for the person who does not have to do it.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I fell asleep during the first ep, but then again I do that a lot... I'l download it for a while and see how it goes. Love Nathan, but so far seems kinda formulaic.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138
    Hang on, let me find a link to the thread I started last week. (might as well make this a running topic since a bunch of us are watching even if many are not liking it.)
    Thanks for that! I did a cursory, but obviously completely inadequate, check before I started this one.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No problem. Things move fast. I watched the episode last night, and thought it was better tone wise than the Pilot. Still not great, and they seem to have fixed the problem with the female lead (can't remember her name right now) by making the character a lot flatter and less interesting. But I suppose that's better than a walking cliche, so...baby steps.

I do like the relationship between father and daughter as it was show in this episode better than the pilot. It felt less like the was the brainy caretaker kid and more like he just happened to have kind of a geeky daughter that he got along really well with.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I finally caught up with this show via Tivo. Not bad at all. I hope it sticks around, if for no other reason than to give Nathen Fillion a steady paycheck.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by MsPurlMcKnittington
    Ah, shit. That was on last night, wasn't it?
    I think it's repeated Saturday or Sunday night.

So far, the actual cases aren't too creative -- but I think they're trying to make them believable. So believable, in fact, that I can't believe a half-way decent police detective wouldn't crack them all through old-fashioned fact-gathering and experience, without the insights of a reprobate novelist.

My girlfriend enjoys it and is hoping Nathan Fillion's shirt spontaneously falls off. He does make a really good wiseass.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I watched the first episode, but the rest are queued up on my DVR. I love Fillion, but I haven't yet decided if it's worth sitting through yet another formulaic cop show just to see him. I'm already sucked into watching Bones (which was never great and has been terrible this season) just because I like David Boreanaz.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I was rather enjoying this week's episode before I fell asleep around the halfway mark. (Part of being mom to a teething 5-month-old). Perhaps it's improving? (Please tell me I didn't miss a spontaneous shirt disintegration!)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's improving. It's still not great, but it has become watchable. Maybe it will even get good.

+ Reply to thread