Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The DoMeBo Photography Class - Lesson #1

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Photos

Quote Originally posted by garygnu
    Nice picture, but the cat’s the same color as the fence. Get a new cat
    Sometimes you can hide things in pictures...sort of camouflage. I wish [del:28l7yi23]these were[/del:28l7yi23] this was* better---the Olympus lens quality isn't all I would hope for---but I'll dedicate them to featherlou, whose avatar cracks me up.

Maybe you'll spot it right away but if not:

[spoiler:28l7yi23]Start at the big tree on the left. If you're standing at six o'clock, imagine a line to about one o'clock. See that black log? There's a squirrel standing on it, upright.[/spoiler:28l7yi23]

*I have had more hassles trying to resize pictures and get them into Picasa, no, Photobucket, that I could put my fist through the screen right now.

Here's a weirdness: upthread I linked to a video montage I made of one image. Picture of my camera, ok, that file is pic: let's save as picB and reverse the image. OK, save as picC and invert colors.

Well the goofy deal is, when I look at the folder, NONE of those changes have been made. The video is fine but the thumbnails show a bunch of the very same picture.
    My latest photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lobotomyboy63

Major gear: Olympus E520 w/2 AF Zuiko, 3 adapted Minolta MD, Metz Flash, Digital King 0.7x wide angle auxiliary, Slik tripod, Lowepro pack, intervalometer en route, + Canon & Oly PS.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by lobotomyboy63

*I have had more hassles trying to resize pictures and get them into Picasa, no, Photobucket, that I could put my fist through the screen right now.
    Irfanview
    Irfanview
    Irfanview
    Irfanview
    Irfanview

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    No job is too hard for the person who does not have to do it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Dragon

Irfanview
    Irfanview
    Irfanview
    Irfanview
    Irfanview

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    I'll have to look into that, thanks!

Major gear: Olympus E520 w/2 AF Zuiko, 3 adapted Minolta MD, Metz Flash, Digital King 0.7x wide angle auxiliary, Slik tripod, Lowepro pack, intervalometer en route, + Canon & Oly PS.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: The DoMeBo Photography Class - Lesson #1

Is it too late to join? I took these images today with my Olympus Camedia C-740. It's not a great camera but it's all I have right now.

Also, it shows the settings of f-stop, ISO, etc. if I put it in one of the manual modes but I can't figure out how to display those settings for the "pre-set" modes. But I took these photos with the different pre-set modes as noted.

Taken in "landscape" mode

Taken in "sports" mode (because of the running water)

Taken in "portrait" mode

Taken in "super-macro" mode. I'm actually really happy with the amount of detail this mode provides.

Also I noted in some of my photos (not as apparent in these, but others) the edges around objects sometimes appear kind of "blocky". I want to put an image up here to illustrate what I'm talking about, but it only seems apparent in the original high-res photo.. if I scale it down it's hard to detect. Any idea what causes this?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sometimes you can hide things in pictures...sort of camouflage. I wish [del:38rhyrqc]these were[/del:38rhyrqc] this was* better---the Olympus lens quality isn't all I would hope for---but I'll dedicate them to featherlou, whose avatar cracks me up.<snip>
    OhmygodWeeeee!
    (Not completely work safe.)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by featherlou
    Sometimes you can hide things in pictures...sort of camouflage. I wish [del:3zz171as]these were[/del:3zz171as] this was* better---the Olympus lens quality isn't all I would hope for---but I'll dedicate them to featherlou, whose avatar cracks me up.<snip>
    OhmygodWeeeee!
    Too funny! You're right, NSFW. I wonder how bunnies=strife. Competing for the squirrels' food, maybe?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I am going to have a hard time keeping up. I'm at Sugarloaf, ME. for the rest of the week and forgot to pack the camera ops:

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by sistercoyote
    ...Ooh, here's a good one. This is the Tesla Coil at Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles, arcing.
    Ah, taking pictures through a cage, most difficult. Although it’s not a problem in this picture, auto-focus generally does not do a good job focusing on what’s behind the bars. If you have manual focus, you may have to use it. I did for this picture.
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Sometimes you can hide things in pictures...sort of camouflage. I wish [del:3851l11o]these were[/del:3851l11o] this was* better---the Olympus lens quality isn't all I would hope for---but I'll dedicate them to featherlou, whose avatar cracks me up.<snip>
    OhmygodWeeeee!
    YOU; You, I like.
    This is the most beautiful place on Earth; there are many such places.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rigamarole
    Is it too late to join?...
    It’s never too late. You also don’t have to do every lesson.

Taken in "landscape" mode
    I’m going to cover what, exactly, all these shooting modes do in the upcoming lesson on exposure settings. Briefly, “landscape” selects a small aperture to get more in focus.

“Sports” selects a fast shutter speed to capture action. Ironically, for running water you actually will want a slow shutter speed. Very slow, in fact: from ½ to 2 full seconds will get you an effect like in this shot. (Not my picture, all of my own examples are on film in a box somewhere.) For more on waterfalls, peruse this article or wait for Lesson #6 on vacation photography.

Taken in "portrait" mode
    “Portrait” selects a wide aperture so that the background will be less in focus than the subject.

Taken in "super-macro" mode. I'm actually really happy with the amount of detail this mode provides.
    This is a fabulous photo. I admit to being a sucker for macro pics of flowers, but this is especially good. Nice work.
    Macro mode allows you to focus on thing very close up. Just how this happens and how close you can get vary from camera to camera. Depth of focus will be very tight on macro shots, so learn to use that fact to your advantage.

Also I noted in some of my photos (not as apparent in these, but others) the edges around objects sometimes appear kind of "blocky". I want to put an image up here to illustrate what I'm talking about, but it only seems apparent in the original high-res photo.. if I scale it down it's hard to detect. Any idea what causes this?
    This could be caused by a cheaper image chip or even by the processor chip. It also could be that you have the compression set too high.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

garygnu wrote: “Sports” selects a fast shutter speed to capture action. Ironically, for running water you actually will want a slow shutter speed. Very slow, in fact: from ½ to 2 full seconds will get you an effect like in this shot. (Not my picture, all of my own examples are on film in a box somewhere.) For more on waterfalls, peruse this article or wait for Lesson #6 on vacation photography.

I'd encourage everybody using a P/S camera to get a tripod. There are things I could work around with a 35mm that a P/S doesn't allow me to do easily or at all. The "milky water" look, for instance, is easy but best done with a tripod.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=9722062

I got one of these. Weighs about a pound, extends to 42", costs $13 or so. For a lightweight camera, it's pretty good. One gripe: leveling it. But if I prop a matchbook under a leg or whatever, it's all good. Plus, you can self-time and get in the shot if you like, or use the self-timer on macro shots to avoid having to trip the shutter and shake the camera etc. Well worth it IMO.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by garygnu
    “Sports” selects a fast shutter speed to capture action. Ironically, for running water you actually will want a slow shutter speed. Very slow, in fact: from ½ to 2 full seconds will get you an effect like in this shot. (Not my picture, all of my own examples are on film in a box somewhere.) For more on waterfalls, peruse this article or wait for Lesson #6 on vacation photography.
    With any kind of running water -- waterfalls, fountains, etc. -- you can get different effects with a long time exposure (as suggested by garygnu) or with a short exposure freezing the water. I think there can be advantages with both approaches, e.g., with this:

go to the large version to see the detail. It was taken at 1/320 second, so the water is frozen, and (in this case) has a better (IMHO) effect than a long exposure blurring the water would have.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Ultrapod is another good choice for a cheap tripod.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If you haven’t heard, I’m going to postpone Lesson #2 “A Photographic History” and go straight to Lesson #3 “How Big and How Fast?” focusing on exposure, aperture, and shutter speed. I’ll also cover ways to make your pictures black and white, because that’s how I want your next few assignments.

Did I miss anybody’s assignments in this Lesson?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

@gary: Do you want others to comment on photos posted?

Quote Originally posted by chacoguy420
    Sometimes you can hide things in pictures...sort of camouflage. I wish [del:3mts24na]these were[/del:3mts24na] this was* better---the Olympus lens quality isn't all I would hope for---but I'll dedicate them to featherlou, whose avatar cracks me up.<snip>
    OhmygodWeeeee!
    YOU; You, I like.
    While we're on the subject, I like the ad below the animation for chimney squirrel removal.

And for a different weeee, I sent my sister the link to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PADDLE-FASTER-I-HEA ... 7C294%3A50

She replied with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELIVERANCE-Squeal- ... .m20.l1116

:shock:

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I have the 'Paddle Faster' sticker on the back of my raft.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by chacoguy420
    I have the 'Paddle Faster' sticker on the back of my raft.

He's got a real pretty mouth on him, don't he?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Just one quick one from a vacation last year

shot in the worst possible conditions- glary sun w haze near noon. this is in color by the way.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    The Biggest Little City in the World (Sort of)

Is that out at Bodie?
    Aunt Em - Hate you, hate Kansas, took the dog - Dorothy.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Actually this was supposed to go into an entirely different post elsewhere as I was bragging about the cool thread we had going. but the image is from a steam sawmill in a little town in Oregon somewhere on US 395. I think Gary is doing a terrific job here, so I haven't felt the need to say anything.

+ Reply to thread