+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Happy St. Patrick's Day

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    Guinness is pig swill at the best of times. Its enduring international popularity astounds me.
    I agree, but then I got in trouble years ago for asking about Guiness,"Why don't we just buy Meisterbrau and put cigarettes out in it? It tastes the same doesn't it?"

Come to think of it, that was on a St. Patty's day probably in 1991. If looks could kill I would have been dead 10x over.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Come to think of it, that was on a St. Paddy's day probably in 1991.
    FTFY

Guinness isn't terrible, but there are far better stouts out there. Sadly for me, I seem to not have any friends with good taste in beer. Or...a taste for beer, period.

On the other hand, I'll never have to worry about RabbitMage or Marsilia stealing my beer, so hey.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Smithwicks, Beamish, and Murphy's are all nicer than Guinness but what kills me about Guinness and its popularity is its definite lack of consistency. You can occasionally get good Guinness (I didn't believe this until I had one, once) but you can't be guaranteed it. Considering it's an arm of a global drinks giant you'd think they'd get that in order. Also, the appropriation of Irish culture by said global drinks giant makes me a sad panda.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I do like Smithwicks a lot, but I hardly ever see it on tap out here, even at the Irish pubs.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Smithwicks is excellent. I consider in on par with Bass Ale which I love also. My third is Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest which is sadly seasonal.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

By the way, I realised that Beamish and Murphy's are much more akin to Guinness than Smithwick's is. I was just listing Irish beers I prefer. I'm not too much of a beer drinker to be honest.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    By the way, I realised that Beamish and Murphy's are much more akin to Guinness than Smithwick's is. I was just listing Irish beers I prefer. I'm not too much of a beer drinker to be honest.
    I don't know Beamish and Murphy's if I recall correctly is not one I liked. But Smithwick's is the type of Pale Ale I love.

I will now disclaimer that Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest is nothing like the pair of Ales I love. A very different taste, it is an Octoberfest after all.

+ Reply to thread