+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Board Traffic Comparison Thread

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Board Traffic Comparison Thread

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    What I will say is that chat seems to have turned this place from a growing message board, into a shrinking message board with a chat feature. Which, unfortunately, is not as much fun for me.
    For what little it was worth, the board was already not growing before we introduced chat. We had stalled. We are still trying to find and do some things to get new posters in.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sleeps w/Butterflies
    <snip>
    Some people really do seem to get some kind of thrill in always looking for the bad or negative. If that's what you're snooping for, you'll find it. Every.single.time.
    I think this is worth repeating. One of the things I liked least about the Dope is that there is a strong, vocal contingent there who found the most enjoyment in pissing on everything. "I just had the tastiest burger at McDonalds!" "McCrapalds, you mean? They're the crappiest place in the world and anyone who eats there is a moron."

CairoCarol, you aren't wrong about the addictive nature of chat. I didn't realize it, and now it's too late for me. Save yourself!

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Whilst much appreciating Sleeps w/Butterflies' defense of the chatroom as the happy snuggly bunny place , I will state my reasons for thinking that chat is not the board's greatest asset:
    Posting it on the front page makes the board look kind of stupid, seeing as how the chat room (like all chat rooms) is mostly filled with inane chatter, inside jokes, and cliquish behavior.
    Posting stuff in chat might make the DoMeBoers happy, but it's not the kind of thing that helps build up the board. Building up the board is making permanent posts that can be found via a Google search and bring traffic here, or posting stories on the front page. If the time spent in chat were spent posting in a forum, that would be better for the board.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm surprised that there are people who think the chat room is some sort of detriment to bringing in new people. In my experience, it's been the opposite.

Those who are in the chat room know this fact, but those who don't hang out there may have missed it: we get quite a few people chatting before they post a single message on the board. People I've tried dragging onto the board who are still largely lurkers will pop in there.

The excitement over getting new people in the chat room (good lord, you should have seen the celebrations for the first chat message from Chicken Toes) is tangible. Yes, there are some bitchy, catty moments, but that behavior isn't as common as people think, nor is it directed towards new chatters. Expanding the user base is always a source of celebration in there.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Caerie
    I'm surprised that there are people who think the chat room is some sort of detriment to bringing in new people. In my experience, it's been the opposite.

Those who are in the chat room know this fact, but those who don't hang out there may have missed it: we get quite a few people chatting before they post a single message on the board. People I've tried dragging onto the board who are still largely lurkers will pop in there.
    You do realize that this is self-selecting, right? You don't know if there are people that come to the main page, see the chat, and decide that this is not thre right place for them.

The excitement over getting new people in the chat room (good lord, you should have seen the celebrations for the first chat message from Chicken Toes) is tangible.
    Yes, very tangible - I tried touching it and my fingers got all sticky! :wink:

Listen, I have nothing against chat per se - I just think it shouldn't be on the front page.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Truth and Beauty
    You do realize that this is self-selecting, right? You don't know if there are people that come to the main page, see the chat, and decide that this is not thre right place for them.
    Any group is self-selecting. There could be quite a few people that come to a thread on the board, see the conversation, and decide that this is not the right place for them.

We shouldn't change the board based on what hypothetical people might be interested in. If there was a strong movement from the posters at large against the chat, then yes, it would be a good idea to get rid of it, but as it stands now it's part of the community. Altering a community which is satisfied with itself so that others who dislike it as it is will want to join in the community is self-defeating.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    What I will say is that chat seems to have turned this place from a growing message board, into a shrinking message board with a chat feature. Which, unfortunately, is not as much fun for me.
    Ha. If only getting rid of chat would turn Domebo into a growing message board. It was shrinking from its initial burst of activity well before they put chat in place.

Yeah. Chat draws people in. There's basically zero barrier to participation when it's just chit-chat, and from other internoodle communities I've seen, chat draws participants in who later may convert to participating in the "real" community. And it keeps present members more engaged, which probably leads to them participating more in other ways.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If there was a strong movement from the posters at large against the chat, then yes, it would be a good idea to get rid of it, but as it stands now it's part of the community.
    I'm not saying get rid of it - I'm saying take it off the main page.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Now I have to effing go to chat all the time to show my ABSOLUTE support for the wonderful Myrnalene. (like I didn't have other shit to do...) ::walks off talking to herself::
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

+ Reply to thread