+ Reply to thread

Thread: It's the most wonerful time of the year... March Madness!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default It's the most wonerful time of the year... March Madness!

Anyone else here think that the Thursday / Friday games in the NCAA Tournament are the two best days of the sports year? I took vacation days!

I usually fill out 2 brackets - a sensible, and an upset special. This year, I see a BUNCH of upsets, even on my sensible bracket, though mostly mid-pack ones - no 16 over 1 or 15 over 2. No huge surprises to go deep, though - I have Clemson as my lowest seed in the Elite 8, at 7, with 6 WV and 4 Wake as well. I tried not to do this, but I have 4 ACC and 3 Big East teams in the Elite 8, plus Memphis. Connecticut over Wake, and UNC over Pitt in the Final 4, with UNC winning. My toughest 1st round games were Maryland over Cal and Utah over Arizona. I know AZ has sucked a fat one lately, but they have some VERY high quality wins. And as for Cal, I read about them in the paper every day, and I just don't trust 'em.

In my upset special, I have Villanova beating Wake in the championship.

Any hot tips ?

Joe

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: It's the most wonerful time of the year... March Madness!

I think it's a good call on Cal. Apparently the seedings were based a lot on the entire record, which really gives a good chance for an upset to happen now, now that it's March. That's about the only way Cal could have got in as high as they did with their record.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I can't believe this thread hasn't taken off!

Yes, I'm a homer, and yes I went to Pitt, but tough cookies! If they don't do it this year, I don't know when they will have a better shot.

Pitt wins the east
    Louisville the midwest
    Memphis takes the west
    UNC the south

Pitt takes UNC
    Memphis beats Louisville

Pitt beats Memphis!

And then, I wake up.

Biggest upset special - North Dakota State beats Kansas and will fight it out with Dayton to be the lowest seed Sweet 16. (I'll go out on a limb and say NDSU is in the sweet 16)

<Please no wagering>

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have Kansas beating ND St, and losing to Dayton, but I can totally see ND St. winning. I haven't seen them play, but I've heard some astute analysis. And all my plans are going awry - I have UNC winning it all, and now all of a sudden Ty Lawson's toe ISN'T all better. Bitch. Man up!

In a couple of past years, I was a major Pitt backer, and each time, they choked early. No more! Though I DO have them in the Final 4.

Joe

+ Reply to thread