+ Reply to thread

Thread: Obama's nominee for FEMA director; did he get this one right?

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Obama's nominee for FEMA director; did he get this one right?

The President has picked Craig Fugate, an emergency management official from Florida, to head the Federal Emergency Management agency.

Quote Originally posted by CBS News
    As the Director of the Florida Division of Emergency Management, Mr. Fugate oversees an agency with 138 full time staff. The Division coordinates disaster response, recovery, preparedness and mitigation efforts with each of the state's 67 counties and local governments. In September 2003, the Florida Emergency Management Program became the first state emergency management program in the nation to receive full accreditation from the Emergency Management Accreditation Program.

From volunteer firefighter, Paramedic, to Lieutenant with Alachua County Fire Rescue, his 15 year career in local government included serving 10 years as the Emergency Manager for Alachua County, Florida.
    From here.

I'm encouraged by this - I think a person with 'first responder' experience is an excellent choice to head the agency. I just wish the next thing would be to take FEMA out from under Homeland Security.
    This message brought to you by NinetyWt, the Queen of Lubricants™.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Obama's nominee for FEMA director; did he get this one right?

I hope so. At least this guy has tons of experience.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I doubt he'll do a good job. It seems he has no experience with race horses.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Don't be silly; it's not race horses he needs experience with; it's Arabian show horses.
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't have a contrary view: He sounds like he's got all the experience he should have for this position.

The caveat that I've got in the back of my head is the same one I have whenever I see a capsule CV for anyone: It tells you what they've taken credit for, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's telling you what they've done. What I'd like would be a chance to talk to a couple of Mr. Fugate's former workers, and get their view of his skills as a manager, his knowledge of first response issues, and his ability to establish logistical support for first responders in a crisis situation. I just wish I had a little more information, from more than one source.

+ Reply to thread