+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Domebo Diplomacy Game One

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Domebo Diplomacy Game One

Quote Originally posted by Vox Imperatoris
    I was PMing another player, and some misunderstandings about builds and ownership of provinces came up. So, if you're confused, this is very important:

Ownership of a province is only calculated based on who is there at the end of Fall (or who was the last person to own it, if it's empty). That means you only ever get builds (or are forced to disband a unit) at the end of Fall. The only exception to this is that you also disband if your unit is dislodged with no avenue of retreat.
    Fall being once every other turn, right?

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by KidVermicious
    I was PMing another player, and some misunderstandings about builds and ownership of provinces came up. So, if you're confused, this is very important:

Ownership of a province is only calculated based on who is there at the end of Fall (or who was the last person to own it, if it's empty). That means you only ever get builds (or are forced to disband a unit) at the end of Fall. The only exception to this is that you also disband if your unit is dislodged with no avenue of retreat.
    Fall being once every other turn, right?
    Yep.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It goes:

Spring moves
    Spring retreats (If necessary)
    Fall moves
    Fall retreats (If necessary)
    Winter adjustments (Ownership of supply centers are determined. Based on this ownership, powers build new units in empty home supply centers or disband existing units if they cannot be supplied.)
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, the Squid's got the whole game from the perspective of England now. Anyone else want to share his side of it?
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by KidVermicious
    That's why squid have those bigass freaky eyes.

They like to watch.
    I leave it to your imagination as to why we have 10 tentacles.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The suspense! And the first turn hasn't even happened yet.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Roughly 18 hours to get your moves in, gents. NMR on Turn One is not a good way to get the ball rollin'.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Vox
    Tell me about it! This has been so much fun, and we haven't even moved yet.

Just talked.

In many ways, it's like a bad date. Only with intrigue. Which makes it good!
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by AllWalker
    Quote Originally posted by Vox
    Tell me about it! This has been so much fun, and we haven't even moved yet.

Just talked.

In many ways, it's like a bad date. Only with intrigue. Which makes it good!
    Imagine if every first date involved a (fake) assassination attempt!

Registered
    Mar 2009

TheFlame better watch out for those.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Austria are going to have to assume that the nation that hasn't been in communication since we offered to begin negotiating the terms of our proposed alliance is actually hostile, and was only after information from us. You know who you are.
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Registered
    Mar 2009

Germany is not pleased by the failures of France and Italy to publically endorse the proposed non-aggression pacts, and considers such pacts null and void at this time.

Germany desires nothing more than peace and goodwill amongst the nations of the world, and is open to the prospect of renegotiations with all of her neighbors.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Registered
    Mar 2009

So the day is over right? This is worse than reloading on playdiplomacy.com.

FYI I'll be at my uncle's place from late Wed- Sunday. My uncle has dial-up AOL, which it means it isn't really worth trying to use the internet (In fact I think the last time I was there I was playing the previous Diplomacy game. That was painful). I'll still get my moves in, but my communication may be sparce. Just remember a slow response doesn't mean I'm plotting against you. Doesn't mean I'm not either though.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sorry, give me a few minutes

Registered
    Mar 2009

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11158229@N06/3362979849/

Turkey:
    Con - Bul: OK
    Ank - Bla: OK
    Smy - Con: OK

Russia:
    StP - Bot: OK
    Mos - Lvn: OK
    War - Ukr: OK
    Sev - Rum: OK

Italy:
    Ven - Tyr: OK
    Rom - Apu: OK
    Nap - Ion: OK

Germany:
    Kie - Den: OK
    Ber - Kie: OK
    Mun - Ruh: OK

France:
    Bre - MAt: OK
    Mar - Spa: OK
    Par - Pic: OK

England:
    Lon - Eng: OK
    Liv - Wal: OK
    Edi - Nth: OK

Austria:
    Tri - Alb: OK
    Bud - Ser: OK
    Vie - Tri: OK

Registered
    Mar 2009

The Great Powers of Europe has loosed the Frogs of War! It is now Fall, 1901. Have your moves in by 16:00 EDT, 3/20.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Interesting situations developing already. Is it OK if spectators start to run their mouths in analysis, or should we keep quiet and let the warlords slam it out in silence?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Harlequin
    Interesting situations developing already. Is it OK if spectators start to run their mouths in analysis, or should we keep quiet and let the warlords slam it out in silence?
    Screw the warlords. Whatcha thinkin'?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm thinking that Turkey got the Black Sea first move, either by deception or agreement. This is unusual and of course detrimental to Russia, who must now choose between being sure to keep Romania and being sure to keep Sevastopol, unless he can enlist the aid of Austria-Hungary. To be sure to get a build he must get Sweden, which he can only get with German cooperation.

The Italian-Austrian border is looking interesting. Italy's move into Tyresia is a classic one and one that makes life difficult for both Germany and Austria-Hungary. Munich, Vienna and Trieste are all threatened, but the Austrian army in Trieste is threatening Venice. Italy can defend it, but only by giving up his Tyresian aggression or giving up control of the Ionian Sea, provided he wants his sure build. The army in Tyresia is a factor no matter what he does.

Italy and France are speeding off in different directions, which is great for them and bad for everyone else. They both have either diplomatic acumen or balls. Possibly both. I think this might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

England got the English Channel. Maybe France let him in there, maybe he said he wouldn't go and went anyway. Either way, it's troublesome for France, no matter how much he trusts England. He either risks losing Brest or risks not getting to build there. In his place I would like to get the Iberian peninsula and build in Brest and Paris so as not to appear threatening to Italy at this point, but he may not get that option.

Germany is imitating a many-tentacled monster, putting its dirty fingers into many little pies. The big question is what will happen with the Low Countries. France's move into Picardy is an aggressive one and the army there is a great bargaining chip. It might not - hell, it will not - be able to take Belgium but it might be able to dictate who does - if anyone.

Finally, Austria-Hungary, the country voted most likely to be off the board in two seconds flat. Who's up for a bet that won't happen here? A good chance of two builds (it's up to a chicken race with that pesky Tyresian army), a Germany that's busy elsewhere and a Russia that's staying away and has its own problems to deal with.

I'm thinking balls will be a big asset in the turn to come.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I tend to agree. Russia's quick stab at Rum puts him in a bad shape vis-a-vis his southern neighbors. It'll take some crafty negotiating or some luck for him to keep both Sevestapol and Rumania. His move to Livonia in the North is somewhat confusing, as it's a half-measure between and anti-German and an anti-English opening in the North.

Italy's move to Tyrolia is not unusual, but looks particularly savvy with the moves by Germany and Austria. He's got his Tunisian build in the bag, and can either bottle up both of his northern neighbors or get a build.

France's moves look good, although you have to wonder where he'll come down on between England and Germany. Either one could do some significant damage to him, if he can't sell Belgium to one in order to get some breathing room.

England's moves are classically anti-French, and particularly good, given that France has given up the channel. That's not to say that England's moves couldn't be a crafty design on certain German territories.

Speaking of Germany, his moves seem like a classical German attack. He can determine Russia's fate in the north, and can decide to either stab at France, or blackmail one of the two other Western powers to ensure himself a three build opening year. His only issue is that Italian army next to Munich. While it's not usual for Italy to attack Germany so early, the threat there might force him to retreat to cover his back door.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tyresia=Tyrolia. Damn those names all the way to Hades and back.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Just stick with “Tyr.”

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ambassadors from England and France have met to deplore the recent German aggression, in blatant violation of the Treaty of 1901. They are currently discussing a wide range of diplomatic and military sanctions that might be imposed on this rogue nation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Technical question: if a unit is built over the winter, is it free to be moved in Spring 1902, or does being built count as a turn?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It can move immediately.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Winter is a separate turn from Spring. Thus, any unit built in Winter may move in Spring. Void when attacking Turkey.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm about ready to advance the turn once I get the response to a couple of PMs (I've already sent my moves in, since they are going to be the same regardless). Remember that we don't have to wait until Friday; that's just the maximum time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm about ready to advance the turn once I get the response to a couple of PMs (I've already sent my moves in, since they are going to be the same regardless). Remember that we don't have to wait until Friday; that's just the maximum time.
    Only about half of people have yet sent in their moves. I think that it's likely that we'll be using the max time for the first few turns, at least.

If people would like to send in setlists of conditional builds for Winter along with their fall moves, that'd speed the game along, as well.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Paris, FRANCE - Earlier today, the French Prime Minister addressed the country in a speech that was typically brief and incoherent. "I thought we had released the frogs of war, not the snails of war," he announced before trailing off, thanks to his well known weakness of being easily distracted by discussions of food. From here, he swung between questioning the lack of public communication between nations and references to steaks, and what vegetables to serve with them.

Further comments from the Prime Minister were a little more cryptic. "I wonder what the hold up is. Real life commitments? Dial-up speeds? I don't know," he commented, in what is both a 4th wall violation and a chronic anachronism.

Foreign ambassadors are likely to conclude from this a deterioration in the Prime Minister's state of mind. Parisians, however, are used to the eccentricities of their leader. "That is just the way le Prime Minister talks," one (stereo)typical Frenchmen, equiped with baggettes, a beret and one of those little moustaches, remarked. "If le foreigners don't like it, they can go back to their own cultureless and barbaric countries. Now out of my way, you are blocking le wine."

In a related story, this paper is on the verge of being sued for everything it's worth on the grounds of tasteless depictions of people and events. Developments in the case will be reported, unless of course we lose.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by AllWalker
    Further comments from the Prime Minister were a little more cryptic. "I wonder what the hold up is. Real life commitments? Dial-up speeds? I don't know," he commented, in what is both a 4th wall violation and a chronic anachronism.
    In further news, three nations' ambassadors have failed to show up to recent peace talks held in Athens

Registered
    Feb 2009

What is the deadline for Fall '01?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by TheFlame
    What is the deadline for Fall '01?
    3:00 PM EST today. I believe that's 7:00 PM GMT with Daylight Saving Time.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I think I may change my avatar to a female singer, just to fit in. :mrgreen:

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by garygnu
    I think I may change my avatar to a female singer, just to fit in. :mrgreen:
    And it can't be an American, either.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Berlin, Germany -

The Chancellor convened a gathering of international press today to condemn "the vague and incoherent babble" coming from the French Prime Minister.

"He's obviously off his rocker", Chancellor KidV declared. "I have no idea what the hell he's talking about, although I must note that if I did, then I would have to declare that I have already submitted mine, so there."

"I am worried about Prime Minister Allwalkers health and well being, and fear for the safety of my countrymen and his while he is in charge. As much as we would regret taking unilateral action, drastic measures to preserve the peace may have to be employed".

The Chancellor was also quoted as saying "I need more of that champagne".

Registered
    Mar 2009

Cardiff, Wales—

The Prime Minister was seen today at the docks where our boys are loading up for the coming defense of Belgium against the Hun attack. "I hope you like waffles!" he was heard to say in an attempt to raise morale. "Now, I want to be clear that our actions in Norway and Belgium are not those of aggressors, but merely attempts to protect the people of those countries against the recent aggression. The great British Empire has duty and, by the grace of God, the power to protect all the peoples of Europe from tyranny. The Norwegian prime minister has already invited the first of our marines into the country, stationing them in fortresses located along the border."

However, certain troubles at home continue to grow. The opposition remains frustrated at the high taxes and protectionist tariffs of the regime, along with its heavy spending.

The Prime Minister was also heard to say, "The deadline approaches; I hope we can get our two builds," and it is assumed that he was referring to the logistical benefits offered by our two bases on the Continent.

Registered
    Mar 2009

*drums fingers*

Registered
    Mar 2009

Calculating..

Registered
    Mar 2009

Results, Fall 1901:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3621/337 ... d64d_m.jpg

Turkey:
    Bul H: OK
    Con S Bul H: OK
    Bla H: OK

Russia:
    Lvn - Swe: Illegal;
    Bot C Lvn - Swe: Void;
    Ukr - Sev: OK
    Rum S Ser - Bul: OK

Italy:
    Apu - Tun: Illegal;
    Ion C Apu - Tun: Void;
    Tyr H: OK

Germany:
    Kie - Hol: OK
    Ruh - Bel: OK
    Den - Nth: OK

France:
    Pic - Bre: Bounce with MAt;
    MAt - Bre: Bounce with Pic;
    Spa - Por: OK

England:
    Wal - Bre: Illegal;
    Eng C Wal - Bre: Void;
    Nth - Nwy: OK

Austria:
    Tri - Ser: Bounce with Ser;
    Ser - Bul: Bounce with Bul;
    Alb - Gre: OK

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hold on, Check that. There was some sort of problem with the convoys in the program. They should have gone through. Everything else looks correct.

Russia will have an army in Sweden, and Italy in Tunis. England's convoy bounced.

Needless to say, while I get this figured out, you may still send in your builds:

England: 1
    France: 1
    Germany: 2
    Russia: 2
    Austria: 2
    Turkey: 1
    Italy: 1

Registered
    Mar 2009

You're cheating! I thought you were just figuring out the moves yourself and plugging them into a mapper.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

You may need to enter convoys including the water spaces, such as Apu-Ion-Tun.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I.
    Would it be possible for you to put up a larger (better-quality) picture? This one's hard to read because it's all fuzzy when I blow it up.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Would it be possible for you to put up a larger (better-quality) picture? This one's hard to read because it's all fuzzy when I blow it up.
    Go to his previous link and scroll to pic 5 in his photostream.

Or, here.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sure. I didn't like using the auto-judge, anyways. It's easy enough to figure out the orders... and I systematically agree with the idea of typing in the route for a convoy, as Gray suggested: as convoys should be completable by alternate routes.

Registered
    Mar 2009

All right. Let's try this one more time:
    Winter, 1901:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3454/337 ... b6f7_b.jpg

Turkey:
    Bul H: OK
    Con S Bul H: OK
    Bla H: OK

Russia:
    Lvn - Swe: OK;
    Bot C Lvn - Swe: OK;
    Ukr - Sev: OK
    Rum S Ser - Bul: OK

Italy:
    Apu - Tun: OK;
    Ion C Apu - Tun: OK;
    Tyr H: OK

Germany:
    Kie - Hol: OK
    Ruh - Bel: OK
    Den - Nth: OK

France:
    Pic - Bre: Bounced;
    MAt - Bre: Bounced;
    Spa - Por: OK

England:
    Wal - Bre: Bounced;
    Eng C Wal - Bre: OK;
    Nth - Nwy: OK

Austria:
    Tri - Ser: Bounce with Ser;
    Ser - Bul: Bounce with Bul;
    Alb - Gre: OK

Registered
    Mar 2009

I realize I used a map without country abbreviations. If folks want, I'll use VOx's map with country names on it for future turns.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Waiting on builds from two countries. Spring, 1902, will commence no later than 4pm, 3/23.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Waiting on builds from two countries. Spring, 1902, will commence no later than 4pm, 3/23.
    I think builds need a one-day time limit. Two days max.

+ Reply to thread