+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Domebo Diplomacy Game One

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Domebo Diplomacy Game One

All right, gentlemen. Everyone's confirmed, countries are assigned, and I got tired of messing around with photoshop, and just downloaded a mapper which, while not very pretty, at least is very clear, and gives useful abbreviations so hopefully no one gives an order involving 'Nor'.

The Player List is as follows:

1. garygnu -- Italy
    2. Hawkeyeop -- Turkey
    3. TheFlame -- Austria
    4. pedescribe -- Russia
    5. Vox -- England
    6. AllWalker -- France
    7. KidV -- Germany

Please feel free to PM each other, or to use me for black press (anonymous public statements). I'll post up the next phase as soon as I receive all orders or at 15:30 EST, 3/17, whichever comes first. I may or may not include snarky commenting along the way.

Good luck, and trust no one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11158229@N06/3353711139/

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Domebo Diplomacy Game One

So, it seems to me that a hypothetical Russian player who is not me would have two main options--brute-force Austria with Germany while divvyng up Scandinavia, or attempting to take down Turkey while hoping Austria and Germany are too embroiled in combat to puncture the motherland. Is that about right?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Also, why is Italy regarded as a weak starting country?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by pedescribe
    So, it seems to me that a hypothetical Russian player who is not me would have two main options--brute-force Austria with Germany while divvyng up Scandinavia, or attempting to take down Turkey while hoping Austria and Germany are too embroiled in combat to puncture the motherland. Is that about right?
    Russia's options are as varied as the come. You've got two primary fronts: North and South. Each front has two other competitors: in the North, Germany and England. In the South, Austria and Turkey.

As with all things in this game, the key is forging an agreement with one of the two against the other... and stopping the other two from deciding to combine against you.

It's sandwiched between France and Austria, both of whom have easy defenses against Italy. Italy has only one guaranteed build spot, and has little opportunity for gains unless it can seal a solid alliance with one (if not two) other nations.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I.
    Russia's options are as varied as the come. You've got two primary fronts: North and South. Each front has two other competitors: in the North, Germany and England. In the South, Austria and Turkey.

As with all things in this game, the key is forging an agreement with one of the two against the other... and stopping the other two from deciding to combine against you.

It's sandwiched between France and Austria, both of whom have easy defenses against Italy. Italy has only one guaranteed build spot, and has little opportunity for gains unless it can seal a solid alliance with one (if not two) other nations.
    ???

I thought you couldn't talk tactics?

Registered
    Mar 2009

???

I thought you couldn't talk tactics?
    I'm a bad mod. I'll shut up now.

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

At least he's right, though.

ETA: Everyone read The Game of Diplomacy. It's an excellent short book on this game.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks like I'd better hurry up and find out what the heck this is all about !
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Registered
    Mar 2009

The bad thing about this game is that, unlike Mafia, we can't pad our postcounts while playing it.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Registered
    Mar 2009

New reports from Switzerland indicate an anonymous minister of one of the Great Powers was muttering the following at the end of the breakdown of peace talks in Geneva:

"Y'all better stay the FUCK away from Tunisia!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Gee, I wonder who that was.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Twasn’t me.
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I have my suspicions...

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Maybe all the participants can post in here real quick to make it a little easier to see if they’re online and to PM each other.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

KidV hasn't logged on since Friday.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm here. Yesterday was busy, and I wasn't expecting the game to start this soon.

Aaaand, seeing as how I don't know how to play yet and I've already been lied to at least once , I'm off to read up on the rules.

All of you with PMs into me, stand by.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I'm here, as those who have been in private dialogues with me would know.

Viva la France, baby!
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Man... I totally should have included a rule that you guys had to cc: me on private correspondnce. The waiting's killing me!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Lemme make sure I've got this right. I've got supply centers in Kiel, Berlin, and Munich, a fleet in Kiel (why on land? Harbor?), and armies in Berlin and Munich, right?

About support - if the austrian army in Budapest moved to Rum, but there was already a turkish army there, would the austrian army in Vienna be able to offer support? I'm thinking not, but it WOULD be able to offer support if the Austrian army in Budapest was attacked from Rum... right?

And an army cannot move and offer support to another army at the same time, right?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Another question (does it matter if I edit in here?)... can a fleet move to a new sea space and convoy an army to a land space off the new sea space in the same turn?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by KidVermicious
    Lemme make sure I've got this right. I've got supply centers in Kiel, Berlin, and Munich, a fleet in Kiel (why on land? Harbor?), and armies in Berlin and Munich, right?

About support - if the austrian army in Budapest moved to Rum, but there was already a turkish army there, would the austrian army in Vienna be able to offer support? I'm thinking not, but it WOULD be able to offer support if the Austrian army in Budapest was attacked from Rum... right?

And an army cannot move and offer support to another army at the same time, right?
    Yes: three SCs, three starting forces, one being a fleet in Kiel. The fleets are considered to have a contingent of ground troops, that allow the mto occupy coastal forces exactly as if they were an army. They just can't move inland.

Support may only be given to an army moving to a space you're adjacent to. So the Austrian army in Vienna can't support Budapest to Rumania, because he's not adjacent to Rumania. However, a Russian army in Sevestapol could support that move, even though he's no adjacent to Budapest.

And an army can only make one action per turn: moving, supporting, convoying or holding. It should be noted that an army can offer support for another to hold, even if that army is not holding but offering support to another army. Holding support cannot be offered to an army that is moving.*

*'army' is used generically here, and can refer to a fleet as well.

Another question (does it matter if I edit in here?)... can a fleet move to a new sea space and convoy an army to a land space off the new sea space in the same turn?
    No. Convoying is a full turn's action.
    Editing is fine, though.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Right. The fleet at Kiel is sitting on the coast. But it still counts as occupying Kiel, so another army couldn't move into Kiel while the fleet is there.

Army A can support Army B only if B is adjacent to where A will be at the end of the turn. So Vienna can't support Bud moving into Rum, as it can't reach Rum. But Vienna can reach Bud, so if the army there defends against Rum attack, it can support.

That's right.

Good question - I don't know. Can it?

On preview, beaten to it. Oh well.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks, Boozy. You've generated more questions for me, though.

Can a fleet support an army? Vice versa?

If I'm attacked in Munich, do the armies in Berlin and Kiel automatically support (assuming they haven't moved)? Or do I need to declare that they'll be supporting Munich? If I do need to declare that, what happens if the army in Berlin is attacked? Does it defend all by it's lonesome, or is it displaced? And does it create a hole in the space-time continuum if a declare that two adjacent armies are supporting eachother?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Also, is strategic comm between players in this thread allowed? Forbidden? Frowned on? Laughed at?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks, Boozy. You've generated more questions for me, though.

Can a fleet support an army? Vice versa?

If I'm attacked in Munich, do the armies in Berlin and Kiel automatically support (assuming they haven't moved)? Or do I need to declare that they'll be supporting Munich? If I do need to declare that, what happens if the army in Berlin is attacked? Does it defend all by it's lonesome, or is it displaced? And does it create a hole in the space-time continuum if a declare that two adjacent armies are supporting eachother?
    Tricky question, which requires a bit of clarification on my part. An army or fleet can support any space to which they can move. So a fleet in Kiel can support an army in (or into) Berlin, but not an army in Munich. An army can support any land space they're adjacent to, but can't help the fleet in Kiel move into the Baltic.

Support requires a specific action. In order to support, you'll have to submit an order which says the army that's doing the work, and what they're supporting. So you could have Army Munich Supports Army Berlin to Kiel. But that's all the Munich Army could do for that turn. And, if Army Berlin gets attacked, that support won't help it defend.

Two adjacent armies can definitely support each other, and no Star Trek episodes will occur.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Also, is strategic comm between players in this thread allowed? Forbidden? Frowned on? Laughed at?
    Communication between players in this thread is encouraged. Strategic communication, while absolutely allowed, will probably be laughed at: the strategy in this game usually relies on secrets.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Tricky question, which requires a bit of clarification on my part. An army or fleet can support any space to which they can move. So a fleet in Kiel can support an army in (or into) Berlin, but not an army in Munich. An army can support any land space they're adjacent to, but can't help the fleet in Kiel move into the Baltic.

Support requires a specific action. In order to support, you'll have to submit an order which says the army that's doing the work, and what they're supporting. So you could have Army Munich Supports Army Berlin to Kiel. But that's all the Munich Army could do for that turn. And, if Army Berlin gets attacked, that support won't help it defend.

Two adjacent armies can definitely support each other, and no Star Trek episodes will occur.
    Awesome, that's perfectly clear. Thanks.

Except for the last bit. "Holding" is an action, right? So does that mean "Support Army X", where Army X is holding, really means "Hold unless Army X is attacked"?

Also:

Communication between players in this thread is encouraged. Strategic communication, while absolutely allowed, will probably be laughed at: the strategy in this game usually relies on secrets.
    That's what I figured. I also figure that there has to be some modicum of trust, and if a player is completely untrustworthy, no-one else will make alliances, and that player won't have a chance at winning.

So. Since I'm new, and I hope prone to doing completely unexpected things in the name of catching my opponents off guard...

Hey! Russia! A little bird told me you're plotting on using the Rhineland as a vacation property. Would you care to publically comment on this?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote=KidVermicious]

Except for the last bit. "Holding" is an action, right? So does that mean "Support Army X", where Army X is holding, really means "Hold unless Army X is attacked"?

Also:

Quote Originally posted by "Boozahol Squid, P.I.":19keyzol
    That's what I figured. I also figure that there has to be some modicum of trust, and if a player is completely untrustworthy, no-one else will make alliances, and that player won't have a chance at winning.

So. Since I'm new, and I hope prone to doing completely unexpected things in the name of catching my opponents off guard...

Hey! Russia! A little bird told me you're plotting on using the Rhineland as a vacation property. Would you care to publically comment on this?[/quote:19keyzol]

:evil: England, you sneaky liar.

I am not planning any major assaults, at least until I figure out how to play properly. I just want to survive...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Supporting requires not only for that army to pick a target for support, but also what that army is going to do.
    So your order Might read:
    Army Holland Supports Army Belgium to Hold

If Army Belgium doesn't Hold for that turn (it moved to Picardy, for example) , the order is illegal, and Army Holland will just Hold for the turn.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That's all, huh?

Ok.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That's all, huh?

Ok.
    Are you referring to me or to Boozy?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Supporting requires not only for that army to pick a target for support, but also what that army is going to do.
    So your order Might read:
    Army Holland Supports Army Belgium to Hold

If Army Belgium doesn't Hold for that turn (it moved to Picardy, for example) , the order is illegal, and Army Holland will just Hold for the turn.
    Wait, what? So, Army Munich to support Army Berlin to support Army Munich to support Army Berlin ad infinitum?

Registered
    Mar 2009

That's all, huh?

Ok.
    Are you referring to me or to Boozy?
    You.

What did England lie about?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by KidV
    Wait, what? So, Army Munich to support Army Berlin to support Army Munich to support Army Berlin ad infinitum?
    Not to infinity. If Mun is attacked in the above situation, the game treats it as Mun holding, Ber supporting.

Right?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Nah. Your orders would look like this:

Army Munich Supports Army Berlin to Hold
    Army Berlin Supports Army Munich to Hold

(or, in Diplomacy shorthand

A MUN S A BER Hold
    A BER S A MUN Hold

A support action 'counts as' Holding, in addition to whatever else it's doing. It should be noted that if an army which is supporting another is attacked, it stops supporting the other army. In this case, if both Munich and Berlin were attacked by strength 2 armies (e.g.: Italy attacks Munich from the South from Tyrolia supported by Bohemia, while Russia attacks Munich from Prussia supported by Silesia), both attacks would succeed, because both individual armies would stop supporting each other to defend their own territory. Germany would be in quite a pickle.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Germany would be in quite a pickle.
    Well then for Gods sake, don't anybody ever do that.

Or you won't get a Christmas card.

Registered
    Mar 2009

With the shadow of the recent Franco-Prussian War still hanging over Europe, positive news comes from a recent meeting held in Bruges: low-level diplomats confirm rumors of a non-aggression pact between the age-old enemies of Germany and France. Cases of champagne were seen crossing into the Rhineland, and vats of pickled sausages were noted headed the opposite direction.

The English ambassador was unavailable for comment.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Turkey would like to announce it's conquest of Japan. If you can't see the carnage, get a bigger map.

A technical domebo question. When I send a pm, it puts it in the outbox. Do I need to do something to move it from outbox to sent status or does it just stay there until it is viewed?

Registered
    Feb 2009

The message in the outbox stays there until it's viewed. Go back and take a look now...

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by hawkeyeop
    Turkey would like to announce it's conquest of Japan. If you can't see the carnage, get a bigger map.

A technical domebo question. When I send a pm, it puts it in the outbox. Do I need to do something to move it from outbox to sent status or does it just stay there until it is viewed?
    No, it stays there until it is read.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Mmmmmmmmmmm....
    Pickles.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Germany would like to announce that it has agreed to non-aggresson pacts with France and Italy. The specific terms of each pact stipulate that either party will give one turns notice before hostile action against the other, and each party is to advise the other of moves that may interfere with the others moves.

Germany will consider itself bound by the terms of these individual pacts as soon as each other party publically endorses them.

Germany has no information regarding the presence or absence of any diplomatic communication between France and Italy, and this annoucement should not be read to indicate any sort of treaty or pact between those two countries.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, what? Scooped!

At least I get some champagne.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's an interesting approach, KidV!

Registered
    Mar 2009

One more rules question, and I'm sorry I'm being such a newb. Convoying an army is an action for a fleet, and said fleet would not be able to support the army's move into the land space, right?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

One more rules question, and I'm sorry I'm being such a newb. Convoying an army is an action for a fleet, and said fleet would not be able to support the army's move into the land space, right?
    Right.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Man... I totally should have included a rule that you guys had to cc: me on private correspondnce. The waiting's killing me!
    Do you want us to do this? I don't mind at all. (In fact, in the game I'm modding via the DPJudge, I'm doing this, too, with the feature it has built in for showing me all their press.) I can send all the messages I've sent up 'til now, also.

Actually, here's the map of the game I'm modding, if anyone wants to see what a game in progress looks like. (Tell me if you can't see it.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote=Vox Imperatoris]
    Quote Originally posted by "Boozahol Squid, P.I.":12ga2bdc
    Do you want us to do this? I don't mind at all. (In fact, in the game I'm modding via the DPJudge, I'm doing this, too, with the feature it has built in for showing me all their press.) I can send all the messages I've sent up 'til now, also.

Actually, here's the map of the game I'm modding, if anyone wants to see what a game in progress looks like. (Tell me if you can't see it.)[/quote:12ga2bdc]

Feel free to send. I'd love to read.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That's why squid have those bigass freaky eyes.

They like to watch.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I was PMing another player, and some misunderstandings about builds and ownership of provinces came up. So, if you're confused, this is very important:

Ownership of a province is only calculated based on who is there at the end of Fall (or who was the last person to own it, if it's empty). That means you only ever get builds (or are forced to disband a unit) at the end of Fall. The only exception to this is that you also disband if your unit is dislodged with no avenue of retreat.

+ Reply to thread